Start by marking “Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1)

Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,040 Ratings  ·  520 Reviews
In the time of the Han Dynasty in ancient China, the last remaining dragon is in danger of being killed by the cruel Emperor. A nameless orphan with no past and an uncertain future becomes his unlikely ally. The young orphan soon discovers that it is her destiny to protect the aging dragon and his mysterious purple stone. Chased by an evil dragon hunter and a powerful sorc ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Keeper, please sign up.

Bob Jane
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Cait Grace
Well...I feel like I just took a nap. It felt...cliche? Like poor-beaten-slave-girl...and add in a dragon, and a bad dragon-hunter coming to get them. And their quest was to get to the ocean? And the dragon was CONSTANTLY hurt??? And no one seemed to have any personality. I was just super bored. SADLY. I really do love dragons!!

And there were some fabulous moments, like:
• The time when the dragon combed Ping's hair. I WANT A DRAGON TO DO MY HAIR, TBH.
• That it was set in China! Or a fantasy Chin
Keeley
Jan 27, 2013 Keeley rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a child and it moved me in a way that I'm unable to forget.

The book is stunningly written and refreshingly different. There are a few reasons why I admire Wilkinson so greatly:

Firstly, the setting of the novel is a challenge in itself. Not only is she setting her novel in China, but also in Ancient China. This would have meant months of research to adequately portray the world into which the reader is thrust.

Secondly, the young protagonist. A child protagonist is always chall
Buse
Mar 29, 2016 Buse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler)
Ömer
Mar 14, 2016 Ömer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.95/5

Okurken çok keyif aldım. Yorumu için: http://kronikokur.blogspot.com.tr/201...
Bonnie
The story centers on a girl in 141 BC who has grown up as a slave of the Chinese Emperor's Dragon Keeper. She has been a slave her whole life, and does not know what her name is, or who her parents are. The Dragon Keeper is mean and lazy, so she cares for the 2 dragons in his place, but she does not care much for them, since all they do is lay around. They do not interact with her, or even eat the food she gives them. One day, the female dragon dies, and she feels guilty about this and tries to ...more
Kat Heckenbach
Nov 17, 2015 Kat Heckenbach rated it it was amazing
I'm writing this on behalf of my 11 yr old son. He adores this series. He is normally one who reads only for information. A three inch thick reference book about sea animals will occupy him for hours, but a novel will get scrutiny and a turned up nose. "Too thick, chapters are too long, words (font) are too tiny..." But I told him he needed to pick SOMETHING fiction and TRY to read it. And no, not Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

He actually ended up choosing the second book in the series (Garden of the Pur
Alican Bozkurt
DNF at %25
Eğer middle grade okumak istiyorsam artık farklı bir şeyler okumak istiyorum. Tamam kabul. Çin Uygarlığı falan filan. Ama artık şu kötü efendi-zavallı kız olayından kurtulmak istiyorum. Üzgünüm ejderhalar. :"(
Cassandra Lê
Feb 16, 2012 Cassandra Lê rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am so tired of reading this.

I has no idea why but this book doesn't make me feel that it was set originally in China.

It was just plain boring. The dragon is too weak, it's just like people touch iron on it and it weaken. The girl is okay, but nothing much was indicates through her characters. It was not satisfying as I thought. I do like Chinese history, but this book fails me.
John Nebauer
Apr 02, 2014 John Nebauer rated it really liked it
In western literature, dragons are objects of terror that hoard treasure and breathe fire. There are exceptions, like the dragons in Ursula le Gun’s Earthsea series, and any Dungeons and Dragons player will know that there are dragons benign, and not all breathe fire. But the red fire-breather la Smaug think is usually our first picture.

So when I spotted a copy of Australian author Carole Wilkinson’s Dragonkeeper at the Goodwood library I made sure that it came home to visit. China also has a r
Lina
Akhirnya selesai juga. Awalnya sih rada boring, tapi begitu mulai petualangan Ping dan si naga, cerita mulai mengalir, tema cerita mirip-mirip sama Drachenreiter, dimana naga akan mencari tempat demi kehidupan yang lebih baik. Tapi beda sama Drachenreiter yang cenderung lebih ramai, Dragon Keeper lebih sepi, tokoh utama hanya Ping si gadis budak, lalu Danzi si naga tua dan Hua si tikus yang selalu bersembunyi di baju Ping.

Yang menarik dari Dragon Keeper ini adalah setiap ada konflik atau masala
Mirrani
Apr 22, 2012 Mirrani rated it it was amazing
Reading Dragon Keeper, I was automatically caught up in the spirit of the time period it is set in. But it wasn’t just the Chinese culture that struck me as true and genuine, it was also the Dragon culture, which was well thought out and wonderfully blended into the story. While reading I realized just how connected the Chinese culture was with the Dragons. It is almost a case of the chicken and the egg; did the use of gongs and chimes attract dragons to the humans or did the humans seek a way t ...more
Gil Rowen
Sep 27, 2014 Gil Rowen rated it really liked it
DRAGON KEEPER/by Carole Wilkinson
This book is about a dragon who has a connection with a girl. The girl is a slave to this horrible man named Master Lan. Master Lan is an imperial dragon keeper who needs to take care of the dragon but tells his slave to do the job. The dragon and the slave run away and have a lot of adventures together.
I chose to read this book because it had a really good name (Dragon Keeper).
This book has a lot of action, fighting and the end is very exciting. This book can be
Weller C.
Jan 29, 2015 Weller C. rated it it was amazing
Intrests leverl/Grade: Midddle School.
Lexile: 680.
Aventure/Historical fiction.
Main Characters: Long Danzi, Ping, Wang Cao, Diao, and Lei Chu.
Setting(s): China, Han Dynasty. Ralace. Ocean. Countryside.
POV: 3rd person pov

A young slave girl cares for all of the animals in the area. The cows, the goats, the chickens, and even the sheep. But whats in store for her when she goes to feed the others... They have sharp teeth and shining scales, and a taste for meat. They are the imperial dragons of Haung
Ezamoosh
Jan 18, 2012 Ezamoosh rated it liked it
This is a really nice book - in the beginning.

The idea of everything is amazingly old, and yet so fresh. The way the author portrays things isn't so special, and yet you really do end up feeling connected to the characters - sometimes.

I guessed a lot of the plots pretty much before they'd started. I guess after a month or so of reading the pretty much unpredictable (for me, anyways) HP series I am ready for a lot of things. I guessed that (view spoiler)
Jana
Nov 05, 2012 Jana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to try something fresh and everyone who loves a heart-warming tale.
Recommended to Jana by: It's cover.
This book was the first one that I had read of it's kind: I was on holiday one year and happened across a bookshop. I must have only been around nine but I was an advanced reader and it captured my interest (although this is by no means a incomprehensible book). I had not read a book about dragons before, let alone one about ancient China and it's new ideas and storyline was one of the best and most heart-warming ones I've ever read. I quickly acquired the rest of the trilogy and devoured each o ...more
Miyuki Gardner
Nov 10, 2011 Miyuki Gardner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
A young servant girl named Ping felt like she had no future or purpose in life, so she worked as a servant.Ping knew the last dragon was going to be killed but some how, she felt as if she had a reason to protect this dragon and its precious purple stone.Ping helps this dragon to escape and they go on to a adventure to some type off dragon island.

I didn't truly like how Ping and her dragon got to find his confidence towards Ping later on in this book, but I did like it when they really just work
Anita
Aug 29, 2015 Anita rated it it was amazing
This was one of the very first novels I read. It's about a girl in China in ancient times and she travels around with a dragon. I love this book. I can't remember how many times I have read this again and again.
The book is so old yet so refreshing. This fantasy novel is one of the best. Opening this book feels like I'm opening a lock with a key to a winning lottery. The plot is very interesting and the book is well written.
Georgia McKeon
Aug 20, 2015 Georgia McKeon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I’m currently reading this book and I really enjoy reading it. It’s a mystery and adventurous while it’s also educational. It is one of those books that you can’t put down. The story is about a girl with no identity who was sold to Master Lan for a better life but it starts off terrible being a slave, until one day she met a Dragon Danzi then her life completely changed forever as they go on the adventure of a lifetime.
Clare Cannon
Nov 09, 2014 Clare Cannon rated it really liked it
An easy to read fantasy adventure set in Ancient China. Though more descriptive than most middle grade novels, the story is engrossing and especially enjoyable for animal lovers (at least those tolerant of fantasy animals such as dragons).

The unassuming heroine discovers talents and abilities she didn’t know she had, realising that they can help her to fulfil her calling to be a dragon keeper. The dragon mentors her as she faces wizards and rulers who are determined to hunt both her and the drag
Yara
Lo ame... xD Recomendado!!!
Stephanie
Oct 30, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-13-25
Dragon Keeper is the story of a young slave girl who lives in ancient China. Her master is the Imperial Dragon Keeper. Though cruel, Ping does her best to serve him well, her only friend being a rat by the name of Hua. But when the Emperor decides to visit for the first time since before Ping was born, a series of events lead her to run away with the last remaining Imperial Dragon, and the precious stone he guards. Through time, Ping and the dragon Danzi discover much about each other, and the d ...more
Ang
Oct 29, 2015 Ang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragon Hunters Can’t Keep Me From Reading Dragonkeeper

Carole Wilkinson’s 2003, Book of the Year- Younger Readers Winner, Dragonkeeper is an enjoyable read from the fantasy genre. Dragonkeeper follows the adventure of a slave girl and protagonist, Ping, who runs away with her mentor whom is a dragon named Long Danzi. On their way to the Ocean and across China they have to protect a mysterious stone at all costs from the antagonist, Diao. In this review of Dragonkeeper I will discuss three main fa
Hannah :)
Jun 30, 2015 Hannah :) rated it it was amazing
ahhh one of my all time favourite childhood novels. Whenever I re-read it I feel like the same 11 year old reading it for the first time. I actually rediscovered it at my local library today and little bounced up and done like an excited child and borrowed it for my holiday reading pile, despite the fact I've read it at least 5 times. No matter how many times I read it I still fall in love with the story and its characters. Such a compelling story about a servant girl escaping her master with a ...more
Callum
Apr 10, 2015 Callum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ela-3rd-quarter
I enjoyed the book Dragon Keeper by Carole Wilkinson, because of many things as well as its roller-coaster of a plot. The story takes place during Imperial China, across the empire as a slave travels with a dragon to the ocean.

The book starts out at the Haungling Mountain at the slave's masters home, Master Lan: The Imperial Dragon Keeper. The slave and her pet rat, Hua choose that they would rather eat than feed the imperial Dragons.
Later the next morning one of the dragons die. The slave conti
Aelvana
Oct 28, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was amazing
A nameless slave girl (later named Ping) cares for the dragons under her master's keeping. When the Emperor comes and condemns the last dragon to a certain death, the dragon and the girl escape on a journey to the far off land of Ocean. But the dragon hunter they escaped dogs their trail, compounding the difficulties of escape.

This is a journey across China the way it should be told: no coddling the American readers who hadn't got the least idea what half of the stuff is. Everything is presented
Mnemofysh
Mar 05, 2014 Mnemofysh rated it did not like it
Let me just start this off with: THIS BOOK IS CRAP.
Well, it's actually not that crap. But it doesn't deserve anything more than a one star.
To start off with, it's good. There's the whole idea of the poor servant girl, the dead dragon, and yadda yadda yadda.
Then there is the Ocean. Seriously, how can Carole Wilkinson just write a book that big about a stone, and a quest to the ocean? Why can't Ping (or whatever her name is) just hop onto the dragon's back and fly off? Wouldn't that be simpler? I
Pentapetals
Feb 16, 2014 Pentapetals rated it really liked it
Ping yang selama ini hidup sebagai budak dan tidak tahu apa-apa mengenai dunia tiba-tiba saja harus menempuh perjalanan panjang bersama seekor naga kerjaan terakhir untuk melindungi Batu Naga dari pemburu naga.

Biarpun saya suka premisnya--naga, Dinasti Cina kuno, kekuatan magis--entah kenapa sepertiga awal dari buku ini terasa... sepi. mungkin juga karena saya membaca versi terjemahan dan saya selalu merasa terkadang terjemahan ke dalam bahasa Indonesia membuat cerita menjadi sedikit awkward.

Tap
Olivia
Oct 11, 2014 Olivia rated it it was amazing
The Dragon keeper is an exceptionally good book, which I first read (with my mum) when I was 8 or 9. Since then I have constantly been coming back to it, when I need something to read, but also because it is terrific. One of the awesome things about it was finding out that an Australian author had written it. For a young Australian girl myself, it was a huge thing. I can honestly say that Carole Wilkinson is one of my role models, who I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Back to the story though. I
Connor
Feb 14, 2016 Connor rated it it was amazing
In the Han Dynasty of Ancient China, Huangling Palace's last remaining dragon is in danger of being killed a slaughtered by the Emperor. Ping, without any memory of her past and uncertain about her future, she becomes an unexpected accomplice with the dragon. The young girl discovers that it is her destiny to join and to protect the dragon on his journey to peace.

Dragon Keeper is an excellently structured book. The rich vocabulary creates a vivid explanation in the mind of the reader and gives a
Dan Calma
Jan 14, 2008 Dan Calma rated it really liked it
This book is about a slave named Ping, who goes on this epic journey with a imperial dragon, Long Danzi, looking to get to the ocean with a precious "dragon stone". On the way Ping befriends a young emperor then be foes the emperor. It is based in about 500 A.D. China.
This book gives pretty good imagery and the story line is just as good. I would recomend this book to anyone who enjoys suspense, action, and adventure.
Chapter 1 2 2 Apr 13, 2015 07:57AM
Dragon Keeper 10 65 Aug 16, 2013 11:32PM
The Dragon's Lair: Dragon Keeper 1 3 Apr 21, 2013 07:30AM
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • Dragon's Egg
  • The Book of Lies
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One
  • Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • Boy Overboard
  • Bridie's Fire
  • The Last Dragon
  • The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost #1)
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • The Herb of Grace (Chain of Charms #3)
  • Happenstance Found (The Books of Umber, #1)
Carole was born in England in 1950. Her family moved to Australia when she was 12. She now lives in Melbourne, with her husband John.
Carole didn't start writing until she was nearly 40. Before that, she worked as a laboratory assistant, working with a lot of blood and brains. Once she’d decided to try and become a writer, she went to university. She wrote a lot while she was there including her f
More about Carole Wilkinson...

Dragon Keeper (5 books)
  • Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Keeper, #3)
  • Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4)
  • Shadow Sister (Dragon Keeper, #5)

“It is because of its emptiness that the cup is useful.” 54 likes