Start by marking “Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1)

Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  8,500 Ratings  ·  555 Reviews
In the time of the Han Dynasty in ancient China, the last remaining dragon is in danger of being killed by the cruel Emperor. A nameless orphan with no past and an uncertain future becomes his unlikely ally. The young orphan soon discovers that it is her destiny to protect the aging dragon and his mysterious purple stone. Chased by an evil dragon hunter and a powerful ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Keeper, please sign up.

Bob Jane
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,031 books — 1,995 voters
Beyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBeyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl Seal
Mystical Creature Books
196 books — 199 voters

More lists with this book...

Cait (Paper Fury)
Well...I feel like I just took a nap. It felt...cliche? Like poor-beaten-slave-girl...and add in a dragon, and a bad dragon-hunter coming to get them. And their quest was to get to the ocean? And the dragon was CONSTANTLY hurt??? And no one seemed to have any personality. I was just super bored. SADLY. I really do love dragons!!

And there were some fabulous moments, like:
• The time when the dragon combed Ping's hair. I WANT A DRAGON TO DO MY HAIR, TBH.
• That it was set in China! Or a fantasy Chin
Keeley
Jan 27, 2013 Keeley rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a child and it moved me in a way that I'm unable to forget.

The book is stunningly written and refreshingly different. There are a few reasons why I admire Wilkinson so greatly:

Firstly, the setting of the novel is a challenge in itself. Not only is she setting her novel in China, but also in Ancient China. This would have meant months of research to adequately portray the world into which the reader is thrust.

Secondly, the young protagonist. A child protagonist is always chall
Buse
Mar 29, 2016 Buse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler)
Ömer
Mar 14, 2016 Ömer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.95/5

Okurken çok keyif aldım. Yorumu için: http://kronikokur.blogspot.com.tr/201...
Burcu
Jun 03, 2016 Burcu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok büyük bir zevkle okudum. Ve uzakdoğu mitlerine hayran kalmamı sağladı. Ejderhanın bilgeliği ve bu bilgelik sayesinde küçük köle bir kızın evrilmesi, güçlenmesi beni çok etkiledi. Bir puanı giriş ve gelişme kısımlarının biraz durağın olması nedeniyle kırdım. Yoksa fantastik türü severlere gözüm kapalı önereceğim kitaplar arasındaki yerini aldı.
Bonnie
The story centers on a girl in 141 BC who has grown up as a slave of the Chinese Emperor's Dragon Keeper. She has been a slave her whole life, and does not know what her name is, or who her parents are. The Dragon Keeper is mean and lazy, so she cares for the 2 dragons in his place, but she does not care much for them, since all they do is lay around. They do not interact with her, or even eat the food she gives them. One day, the female dragon dies, and she feels guilty about this and tries to ...more
Alican Bozkurt
DNF at %25
Eğer middle grade okumak istiyorsam artık farklı bir şeyler okumak istiyorum. Tamam kabul. Çin Uygarlığı falan filan. Ama artık şu kötü efendi-zavallı kız olayından kurtulmak istiyorum. Üzgünüm ejderhalar. :"(
Kat Heckenbach
Nov 17, 2015 Kat Heckenbach rated it it was amazing
I'm writing this on behalf of my 11 yr old son. He adores this series. He is normally one who reads only for information. A three inch thick reference book about sea animals will occupy him for hours, but a novel will get scrutiny and a turned up nose. "Too thick, chapters are too long, words (font) are too tiny..." But I told him he needed to pick SOMETHING fiction and TRY to read it. And no, not Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

He actually ended up choosing the second book in the series (Garden of the Pur
Cassandra Lê
Jul 16, 2016 Cassandra Lê rated it it was ok
I am so tired of reading this.

I has no idea why but this book doesn't make me feel that it was set originally in China.

It was just plain boring. The dragon is too weak, it's just like people touch iron on it and it weaken. The girl is okay, but nothing much was indicates through her characters. It was not satisfying as I thought. I do like Chinese history, but this book fails me.
John Nebauer
Apr 02, 2014 John Nebauer rated it really liked it
In western literature, dragons are objects of terror that hoard treasure and breathe fire. There are exceptions, like the dragons in Ursula le Gun’s Earthsea series, and any Dungeons and Dragons player will know that there are dragons benign, and not all breathe fire. But the red fire-breather la Smaug think is usually our first picture.

So when I spotted a copy of Australian author Carole Wilkinson’s Dragonkeeper at the Goodwood library I made sure that it came home to visit. China also has a r
Stef Rozitis
Here are the reason's I loved this book

1. It is about a powerless, nameless person trapped in a completely abject lifestyle as an ignorant, young, female slave. Even in this awful part of her life where she has largely internalised her abjection, the protagonist (so far nameless) is shown to have agency and both the capability and will to be more than she is force to be. But for the time being she accepts all she knows. As the book unfolds, characters largely bully, berate, hunt or betray her bu
Lina
Akhirnya selesai juga. Awalnya sih rada boring, tapi begitu mulai petualangan Ping dan si naga, cerita mulai mengalir, tema cerita mirip-mirip sama Drachenreiter, dimana naga akan mencari tempat demi kehidupan yang lebih baik. Tapi beda sama Drachenreiter yang cenderung lebih ramai, Dragon Keeper lebih sepi, tokoh utama hanya Ping si gadis budak, lalu Danzi si naga tua dan Hua si tikus yang selalu bersembunyi di baju Ping.

Yang menarik dari Dragon Keeper ini adalah setiap ada konflik atau masala
Khushi
May 15, 2016 Khushi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PRE UNI MEMORIES
This book is actually amazing and I've read this so many times! I love the way she writes and the plot is so good!
Mirrani
Apr 22, 2012 Mirrani rated it it was amazing
Reading Dragon Keeper, I was automatically caught up in the spirit of the time period it is set in. But it wasn’t just the Chinese culture that struck me as true and genuine, it was also the Dragon culture, which was well thought out and wonderfully blended into the story. While reading I realized just how connected the Chinese culture was with the Dragons. It is almost a case of the chicken and the egg; did the use of gongs and chimes attract dragons to the humans or did the humans seek a way ...more
Miyuki Gardner
Nov 10, 2011 Miyuki Gardner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
A young servant girl named Ping felt like she had no future or purpose in life, so she worked as a servant.Ping knew the last dragon was going to be killed but some how, she felt as if she had a reason to protect this dragon and its precious purple stone.Ping helps this dragon to escape and they go on to a adventure to some type off dragon island.

I didn't truly like how Ping and her dragon got to find his confidence towards Ping later on in this book, but I did like it when they really just work
Ezamoosh
Jan 18, 2012 Ezamoosh rated it liked it
This is a really nice book - in the beginning.

The idea of everything is amazingly old, and yet so fresh. The way the author portrays things isn't so special, and yet you really do end up feeling connected to the characters - sometimes.

I guessed a lot of the plots pretty much before they'd started. I guess after a month or so of reading the pretty much unpredictable (for me, anyways) HP series I am ready for a lot of things. I guessed that (view spoiler)
Jana
Nov 05, 2012 Jana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to try something fresh and everyone who loves a heart-warming tale.
Recommended to Jana by: It's cover.
This book was the first one that I had read of it's kind: I was on holiday one year and happened across a bookshop. I must have only been around nine but I was an advanced reader and it captured my interest (although this is by no means a incomprehensible book). I had not read a book about dragons before, let alone one about ancient China and it's new ideas and storyline was one of the best and most heart-warming ones I've ever read. I quickly acquired the rest of the trilogy and devoured each ...more
Clare Cannon
Nov 09, 2014 Clare Cannon rated it really liked it
An easy to read fantasy adventure set in Ancient China. Though more descriptive than most middle grade novels, the story is engrossing and especially enjoyable for animal lovers (at least those tolerant of fantasy animals such as dragons).

The unassuming heroine discovers talents and abilities she didn’t know she had, realising that they can help her to fulfil her calling to be a dragon keeper. The dragon mentors her as she faces wizards and rulers who are determined to hunt both her and the drag
Gil Rowen
Sep 27, 2014 Gil Rowen rated it really liked it
DRAGON KEEPER/by Carole Wilkinson
This book is about a dragon who has a connection with a girl. The girl is a slave to this horrible man named Master Lan. Master Lan is an imperial dragon keeper who needs to take care of the dragon but tells his slave to do the job. The dragon and the slave run away and have a lot of adventures together.
I chose to read this book because it had a really good name (Dragon Keeper).
This book has a lot of action, fighting and the end is very exciting. This book can be
Weller C.
Jan 29, 2015 Weller C. rated it it was amazing
Intrests leverl/Grade: Midddle School.
Lexile: 680.
Aventure/Historical fiction.
Main Characters: Long Danzi, Ping, Wang Cao, Diao, and Lei Chu.
Setting(s): China, Han Dynasty. Ralace. Ocean. Countryside.
POV: 3rd person pov

A young slave girl cares for all of the animals in the area. The cows, the goats, the chickens, and even the sheep. But whats in store for her when she goes to feed the others... They have sharp teeth and shining scales, and a taste for meat. They are the imperial dragons of Haung
Cait
I've read this book more times over than any other book I've ever read. I've literally read it 16 times over the course of the past eight years. It's that good.

In short, this is a coming of age story with a dash of self-discovery, rife with beautiful descriptions and captivating storylines. The characters interact believably and are relatable in surprising ways. Even after reading it over and over, this is a book that tugs on my heartstrings and can still move me to tears in the end. I love this
Dan Calma
Jan 14, 2008 Dan Calma rated it really liked it
This book is about a slave named Ping, who goes on this epic journey with a imperial dragon, Long Danzi, looking to get to the ocean with a precious "dragon stone". On the way Ping befriends a young emperor then be foes the emperor. It is based in about 500 A.D. China.
This book gives pretty good imagery and the story line is just as good. I would recomend this book to anyone who enjoys suspense, action, and adventure.
Anita
Aug 29, 2015 Anita rated it it was amazing
This was one of the very first novels I read. It's about a girl in China in ancient times and she travels around with a dragon. I love this book. I can't remember how many times I have read this again and again.
The book is so old yet so refreshing. This fantasy novel is one of the best. Opening this book feels like I'm opening a lock with a key to a winning lottery. The plot is very interesting and the book is well written.
Becca
Jan 15, 2009 Becca rated it it was amazing
Georgia McKeon
Aug 20, 2015 Georgia McKeon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m currently reading this book and I really enjoy reading it. It’s a mystery and adventurous while it’s also educational. It is one of those books that you can’t put down. The story is about a girl with no identity who was sold to Master Lan for a better life but it starts off terrible being a slave, until one day she met a Dragon Danzi then her life completely changed forever as they go on the adventure of a lifetime.
Ben Brandt
Jul 02, 2015 Ben Brandt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book because it was on Ancient China and it was fantastic. It was about a Girl called Ping and a dragon called Danzi, the dragon lived in a mountain and Ping was a Slave and then they went on a adventure to find the ocean because it was magical and full of poignant moments. I recommend this to primary to secondary kids.
Dessy
May 23, 2008 Dessy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasi
Salah satu ciri-ciri buku yang asyik menurutku adalah buku yang disaat membacanya, aku tak perlu menghiraukan jumlah halaman, buku yang bisa membuatku "tiba-tiba" berada di halaman sekian… dan wow….
Yup, dalam novel fantasi karya Carole Wilkinson ini, aku hanyut bersama Ping, si budak miskin yang bahkan tidak tahu siapa namanya... kerennn

Cgmower
Apr 26, 2009 Cgmower rated it it was ok
I picked this up to introduce to introduce a different type of story to my 8 year old daughter. It was an ok read for me. The writing was mediocre. As I was reading it I felt that the author was trying to get all the way through the story and events with out really developing any of the characters or descriptions that would have really made this a fun story.
Infinite Variety Books
Apr 08, 2015 Infinite Variety Books rated it did not like it
Shelves: bloody-cack, 2015
I have no aversion to reading children's books, but this one was of the kind that is talking down to children instead of with or at them. A nice enough plot line and a bit of Chinese history, but little else.
Samantha
Sep 14, 2016 Samantha rated it it was ok
Didn't enjoy it as much as other books but it okay for the right people. There is a whole series but haven't read them so I'm not sure how you would rate them but is the same story line to this with small adventure and myths.
Chapter 1 2 3 Apr 13, 2015 04:57PM
Dragon Keeper 10 67 Aug 17, 2013 08:32AM
The Dragon's Lair: Dragon Keeper 1 3 Apr 21, 2013 04:30PM
  • Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • The Book of Lies
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • The Lightning Bolt (Chain of Charms #5)
  • Dragon's Egg
  • Clair de Lune
  • The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • All in the Blue Unclouded Weather (The Melling Sisters, #1)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • Deadly, Unna?
  • The Nargun and the Stars
  • Bridie's Fire
  • Boy Overboard
  • Foxspell
  • Just a Dog
Carole was born in England in 1950. Her family moved to Australia when she was 12. She now lives in Melbourne, with her husband John.
Carole didn't start writing until she was nearly 40. Before that, she worked as a laboratory assistant, working with a lot of blood and brains. Once she’d decided to try and become a writer, she went to university. She wrote a lot while she was there including her f
More about Carole Wilkinson...

Dragon Keeper (5 books)
  • Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Keeper, #3)
  • Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4)
  • Shadow Sister (Dragon Keeper, #5)

“It is because of its emptiness that the cup is useful.” 59 likes