Start by marking “Where the Truth Lies: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Where the Truth Lies: A Novel

Where the Truth Lies: A Novel

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Where the Truth Lies is a tour de force of sinister mystery, sly comedy, grand cuisine, and incredible sex—a sensual, sardonic, neo-Dickensian thriller in which a latter-day Alice careens through the seductive Wonderland of New York and Los Angeles in the dark heart of the 1970s.

This novel of intrigue speeds from one vivid setting to another, all of them factually real eve
Audio, 0 pages
Published June 24th 2003 by Random House Audio (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Truth Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Truth Lies

Lea

Okay, I fully admit the main reason I sprang this book from its nice, warm home on the library shelf was because the author's name caught my eye. Rupert Holmes? Surely not the same Rupert Holmes who wrote one of most iconic soft rock hits of the '70's, and, incidentally, one of my favorite songs from my childhood, even though it surely must have pained my mother to hear her nine year old sing about "making love at midnight in the dunes of a cape?" Yes, the same Rupert Holmes, and, yes, based on

Amanda
I picked this up on whim while I was mourning the fact that I had finished "Rebecca." I thought it might be in somewhat of the same drama, mystery, suspense, love, etc... 22-pages in, it referenced "Rebecca," and I knew I was in for a good time.

Full of wonderfull, albeit dark, comedy, thrilling suspense, and a shocking-reveal at the end, this book more than met my expectations. Scenes and questions are still realing within my head, as I can't seem to let go of the characters.

O'Connor tells her
Denise
This is an abridged version of the story. I enjoyed the writing and found the characters interesting. The narrators Ana Gasteyer (especially!) and Michael McKean were also great. My only criticism has to do with the abrupt ending which may have been a choice in the abridging. An extra bit of trivia: Rupert Holmes had the hit Pina Colada back in 1979.
Shauna
This book is not of the sort that I usually read, in that it was far more graphic in language and sexual content than my tolerance level usually permits. That said, I am otherwise a fan of Rupert Holmes, and there was so much else in the book that was fascinating-- character, story and well written descriptions-- that I kept coming back to it for more. My favorite parts were the notable 1970s descriptions, both of Hollywood and New York, styles and mannerisms, but especially the descriptions of ...more
Shirley
Nov 04, 2007 Shirley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interest in murder mysteries
I read this book because I saw Atom Egoyan's adaption of it a couple of years ago. It's quite a bit different from the movie. Still a nice read. Moves at a good pace. It's a thriller/murder mystery.

A young female writer is hired to write book about one-half of a popular comedy team from the 1950s. The team broke up suddenly after doing a 39 hour charity telethon on TV. She wants to find out about The Girl In New Jersey, the girl who showed up dead in the comedy team's hotel suite after the tele
Chris
The heroine was a little too slutty for my taste but she made up for that by being plucky and ever the optimist. Just when I thought I had the plot figured out the author would throw in a twist that I never expected so the last few pages were real page-turners. My favorite thing about the book was the nostalgia of hearing the names of all those old TV and radio announcers, memories of LA in the 50's and 60's, and especially Disneyland in the old days. His descriptions of The Magic Kingdom really ...more
Deodand
I'd seen the movie some time ago but couldn't quite remember the plot. I did remember the twists though, which I won't reveal.

The first few pages were awkward and that kept me from enjoying it more. There's also a long and very specific paean to Disneyland in the middle that I found out of place and weird - I think the author meant it as a commentary on the game of cat-and-mouse taking place at the same time. The main character alternates between stupidity and good sense in a head-scratching, c
Ezgi
Mary
Kind of a crazy embellished story of Jerry Lewis and Dean martin and why they split, murder, mafiosi and the Hollywood life. Of course it is written as 2 other names, to protect the innocent and to make you wonder if any of it is true. Who knows, who cares. It was and interesting read, slow at times and way to graphic, but I did finish it. You read it and determine your own thoughts on it.
Sure do love to hear Dean sing, still to this very day and as they say he was funny in his bones.
J. Ewbank
For some reason this book did not meet my expectations. The book turned out much different than I thought. This probably is not the best book by this author, at least for me.

Undoubtedly others have liked it much more than I did.

Might try another by this author to see if it is just this book or me.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Clare
Far superior to its film adaptation, Where The Truth Lies gives us a bold, brassy, messed up, and funny protagonist in K. O’Connor, as well as a tightly plotted and deliciously tense mystery. The novel’s sexual content sometimes seems to be going on autopilot, however, disconnecting the reader from O’Connor. Still worth a shot, though.
Tracy
One of my favorite books ever. I could read it again and again. Loved the narration - personally I couldn't tell that the author was male. I recommended this book to my husband and he loved it as well.
Chrissie
I LOVED this book--twists and turns--gangsters, drugs and murder. However, the movie made me want to turn in my membership card for the Colin Firth Fan Club. STAY AWAY from the movie.
Nick Duretta
It certainly is fascinating...a veiled story of the Dean Martin-Jerry Lewis partnership with some shocking secrets revealed. Ultimately, though, it becomes too over-the-top.
Ems
Part trashy read, part emotional novel, Holmes keeps up the pace so you don't want to put it down and then sprinkles in some phrases so gorgeous you just stare at them.
Cathy
I loved this surprising book. Although I'm tempted to watch the movie adaptation, I think I'll stay away from it. I don't want to spoil my mental movie.
Cat
set in the 70's in hollywood, a journalist delves into the dark secrets of a comedy duo. All a bit surreal and depraved. too weak for a good detective novel.
Tracey
Adult fiction; mystery/suspense. There are lots of twists in this one for people who enjoy mysteries, and lots of other stuff for people who don't.
Diane
The book is better than the film. Changing Vince's background changed the character and motivatioons of Vince.
Salma Rhiman
Dec 11, 2009 Salma Rhiman is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good, i havent finished yet. the author is very...graphic in what she writes, i like it.
Nancy
Didn't make it through the first chapter. Perhaps writing as a woman wasn't his best idea. BLECH.
Candace
good book, bad movie, although i otherwise enjoy egoyan.
Mary
The book was great, the movie was TERRIBLE.
Thomas Fitzsimmons
Holmes is a terrific writer. Good story.
Bernadette
Interesting Martin & Lewis mystery.
Mary
Didn't care for this one.
Andrew
Nov 24, 2014
  • New Beginnings
  • Installing Linux on a Dead Badger
  • Delicious Conversation
  • Shelby and Shauna Kitt and the Dimensional Holes (Shelby and Shauna Kitt, #1)
  • Heirs of Mars
  • Notre-Dame de Paris: Tome 1
  • Derailed
  • Barely A Bride (Free Fellows League, #1)
  • My Favorite Band Does Not Exist
  • Hiroshima in the Morning
  • The J.A.P. Chronicles
  • Through His Eyes: Rethinking What You Believe About Yourself
  • The Cradle Robbers (A Mommy-Track Mystery, #6)
  • The Interpreter
  • Welcome to My World
  • Idyll Banter: Weekly Excursions to a Very Small Town
  • A Change of Heart: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #6)
  • The Sherlock Holmes Mysteries
Swing: A Mystery The Mystery of Edwin Drood: Vocal Selections Accomplice: A Comedy Thriller The Mystery of Edwin Drood: A New Musical Cast of Characters: The Rupert Holmes Songbook