Start by marking “On the Jellicoe Road” as Want to Read:
On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  37,995 Ratings  ·  5,871 Reviews
I'm dreaming of the boy in the tree. I tell him stories. About the Jellicoe School and the Townies and the Cadets from a school in Sydney. I tell him about the war between us for territory. And I tell him about Hannah, who lives in the unfinished house by the river. Hannah, who is too young to be hiding away from the world. Hannah, who found me on the Jellicoe Road six yea ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 290 pages
Published August 28th 2006 by Penguin Australia (first published 2006)

Lora
Jan 08, 2014 Lora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lora by: Lots of good people

There's a reason why books like Twilight don't receive those. They don't give those to just any book, and when you factor in excellence . . . well, a lot of titles just don't make the cut. But it is clear to me why Melina Marchetta's third tribute to YA literature received a Printz award back in 2009. It is because it is excellent, to the very meaning of the word.

If all YA contemporary writers wrote like Marchetta, I doubt I'd play in any other genre playground very often. She writes these beaut
Emily May
May 17, 2015 Emily May rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana

There's a monster in my mirror with puffy bloodshot eyes because she stayed up most of the night, crying and reading On the Jellicoe Road. But it was worth it.

Melina Marchetta never fails to remind me why she is one of my favourite authors and, in my opinion, this is the best of her books I've read so far. It's very difficult to put into words how I feel about On the Jellicoe Road, all I can say is that my heart has been ripped out and shredded, my throat has sealed up with emotion and when I f
karen
i have got to stop being surprised when teen fiction is good. printz-award winning fiction (you know, the award for literary teen fiction that all the grown-ups read and say "this is for teens??"). australian teen fiction. complicated, multi-layered teen fiction.

this book is all of the above, and it is remarkable.

it has sex and drugs and rock and roll, it has violence and terrible crimes, it has shock and awe and guilt and terrible secrets and it opens with a death. this is my kind of teen ficti
Maggie Stiefvater
I will preface this review by saying that I love this book. But not every will love this book.

I will also preface this review by saying that you shouldn't decide whether you belong in group A or group B before you get to page 125 or so. The first 125 pages are a confusing, emotional slog that seems to be about territorial "wars" between rival teen sects in Australia. But it's really brilliantly done -- because that is exactly what the main character, Taylor Markham, thinks of things. It's busy
Tatiana
Feb 19, 2014 Tatiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of realistic YA fiction
As seen on The Readventurer

I don't often give books 5-star ratings. Normally these are the books that either horrify me (Unwind, The Handmaid's Tale) or delight me with superb writing (The Queen of Attolia, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks) or awe me with imaginative world building (The Left Hand of Darkness) or make me cry (Before I Die). Jellicoe Road definitely falls into this last "made-me-weep" category.

Jellicoe Road is the location of a boarding school for kids that are oft
Nataliya
Oct 20, 2012 Nataliya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nataliya by: Emily May
Shelves: 2012-reads
"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, did you?" This quote belongs to Stephen King, but it describes the soul of Melina Marchetta's Jellicoe Road perfectly.

Jellicoe Road is the story of friendships that form your world, friendships so wonderful that it's easy to fall to pieces when they break. It is the story of abandonment and loss and learning to deal with it. It is the story of love, intense to the extreme with the generous helping of teen angst. In shor
Kristin (KC)

Not sure if this is news or not, but it's news to me...Jellicoe Road is in the process of becoming a movie! This is one of my favorite YA's of all time. I CANNOT wait to see this gorgeous story play out on film!
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• •••••••

5+ Stars! Gorgeous...

Books like this make me realize just how insignificant words become when attempting to convey raw emotion. On the Jellicoe Road is more than just a book; it is a hauntingly beautiful journey towards an unexpected destination whe
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
GUYS.
I JUST READ THIS AGAIN ON A WHIM AND MY HEART. I AM A MESS. ALL OVER AGAIN.

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE BECAUSE EVERYTHING HURTS JUST AS MUCH BUT ALSO EVERYTHING HURTS JUST AS GOOD OR MAYBE EVEN INFINITELY MORE SO AND I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO FATHOM THE FUCKING BEAUTY THAT IS THIS STORY AND THIS PROSE AND OFFICIALLY MY MOST CHERISHED BOOK OF ALL TIME.

Thank you for existing.

(21.10.16)
________________________

This is the kind of book that slowly sucks you in, and at first, you may be unsure if you
Jo
God. This book.

-----

Note: I’m not sure where the words ‘On the’ went… I’m assuming it’s different for the British version and not that I have a defective copy.
Also… while I’m Note-ing: This review will be a lot shorter than other reviews because this book is best read knowing nothing about it.

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Breathtaking. I need to listen to the masses more.

High Points.
JONAH GRIGGS. Sorry, had to get that out there. Taylor Markham= New Soul Sister. Australia. Mystery! Nostalgia. C
Andreea Pop
“From this distance everything is so bloody perfect.”

This will not be a proper review, because On the Jellicoe Road turned me into ruins. Quite possibly, my favorite book of the year, because it is so unique and so gut-wrenching and so enrapturing it deserves the title.

This book is not merely a reading experience; this book is a journey. One filled with two emotional plotlines, past and present, that overlap in places only to thread themselves together in a masterful and sad, yet agonizingly
Basuhi
Dec 27, 2013 Basuhi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: No one, Everyone. Please don't ask me to make any sense now.
Shelves: books-i-own
GAZILLION STARS.

179 books. And this is just the second one.
I cried. For the second time ever.

( Now that was when I first read this book, so let me re-phrase, 262 books, and I re-read this, and I cried again. This time the tears didn't come as a surprise but as a tacit affirmation of the emotional brilliance that this book presents. You can now continue with the original review, that is all I wanted to say. )

I can't write a review for this. No, I can't because its one of those books that you ca
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Simply incredible. I cried way too much, but it was so worth it. Will review tomorrow when I can wrap my head around what to write.

*moves ahead a day in time*

After sleeping on it, I'm still struggling with how to write a proper review. There are some books which are virtually impossible to explain, and this is one of them. The GR book summary gives no indication what the book is really about, and truth be told, I'm not sure you'd want to know what the book is about before reading it.

The first 15
Vinaya
Feb 07, 2011 Vinaya rated it it was amazing
This book is so fucked up. Completely, totally fucked up. Everybody in it is fucked up, and living their lives is fucked up, and by the time you're done with it, you're fucked up, but you can't tell because your head is cloudy from all the tears you've shed getting through this fucked-up book.

I hate On The Jellicoe Road. I hate books that make me cry, and this book made me want to weep tears of blood for all that lost youth and promise, and the pain of loss and the promise of the future. If som
Kat Kennedy
You gut me, Marchetta. Absolutely gut me.
Flannery
Feb 17, 2011 Flannery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for good YA
Recommended to Flannery by: All my GR friends
A lot of people think that Henry David Thoreau* went to Walden to live a solitary life. I felt like that until I actually went to Walden Pond. Imagine my surprise when some friends and I decided to go for a hike, go for a swim and check out the scenery--we left Boston around 9...and we got there by 9:30. Yeah right, HDT, I could live deliberately in the woods, too, if I knew my transcendentalist cronies would bring me a Cinnabon and some pumpkin ale once in awhile.** Nevertheless, Thoreau’s idea ...more
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
“He’s the most beautiful creature I have ever seen and it’s not about his face, but the life force I can see in him. It’s the smile and the pure promise of everything he has to offer. Like he’s saying, ‘Here I am world, are you ready for so much passion and beauty and goodness and love and every other word that should be in the dictionary under the word life?’”

Sometimes, guys, simply reading a book once is not enough.

You find that reading it a second time offers you a whole other reading exper
Ariana
It took me 113 days to write a full review.. I counted.

Reading one of Marchetta’s stories should be one of the “10 things to do in your lifetime”. Seriously, this woman is one of the most creative people alive, one of the most amazing writers I came across and I wish I could put into words the awesomeness of this book, but I feel at a loss for words once more.

In fact, I should invent a new language with a dictionary full of ways to praise her talent.

Because Melina Marchetta doesn’t only write b
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 19, 2013 K.D. Absolutely rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: GR-TFG 100 Favorite Books (2011 version)
Every Filipino who loves his country must read this book.

Reason: On April 13, 2012, North Korea's long-range rocket launched, failed. Reuters is now saying that, embarrassed by rocket crash, North Korea may now be thinking of trying nuclear test.

Check the path and the trajectory plan of that failed rocket launch:
northkorea
Do you see that tail-end of the yellow line? That's Luzon, the biggest island in the Philippines. That's where Manila is. That's where I live!

But why should we read this book?

Here's w
Janina
I’m at a loss for words. This book has made me cry and laugh out loud. It has made me fall in love with its characters, no matter how small their role. It is a book that I’m not likely to forget at any time.

Jellicoe Road deals with death and loss, with abandonment, drug-addiction and suicide. Each character has her or his own terrible past to come to terms with, and sometimes I wondered: How do these people manage to live on when even I almost can’t cope with what they’ve been through?
But abov
Nomes
I first read 'On The Jellicoe Road' in 2006. I had been DYING for it's release ~ and can still remember how tingly and giddy I felt as I walked home with my copy. Back then, I had 3 kids under 5 and couldn't wait for them to get in bed so I could curl up and savour my new Melina Marchetta.

On The Jellicoe Road is notorious for people finding the beginning confusing ~ and I have seen lovers of the book urge people to persevere to find it's magic.

It was not like that for me. From the first chapter
SheWunders
So I just don't get what others love about this book. It's a Cybil's Finalist and a ALA Printz Award Winner. So people LOVE Jellicoe Road and I usually follow popular librarian opinion, but I just can't get on this bandwagon.

I felt like the writing was very, very confusing. For the first 100 pages I really couldn't tell what was going on. Don't get me wrong - dramatic and interesting things were happening, but I couldn't even begin to see how they were related. The character development is very
♛Tash
Nov 02, 2015 ♛Tash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heartrenders
Review also on

I thought about Kintsukoroi long after I read On The Jellicoe Road. You know Kintsukoroi, the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. Making the piece more beautiful for having been broken. I am not usually given in to melodramatics but this beautiful book evoked a riot of feelings in my ice-box of a heart.

On The Jellicoe Road is the story of Taylor Markham overlapping with that of another mysterious narrator whose point of view is in italic.Taylor Markham i
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Mar 17, 2015 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it it was amazing

The story broke my heart into a million pieces but it also fixed the pieces back. This beautifully heart aching novel did something to me I cannot explain. The truth is the beginning of the story kept confusing me that I almost wanted to quit reading. I’m glad I didn’t because if I had, I wouldn’t have known of a wonderful though devastatingly painful but inspiring story of love, grief and friendship of two different generations but whose lives are intricately connected to one another.

The mys
Kim
First of all: many thanks to my friends over at The Corner, for making me want to read this book.

I'm really glad I struggled through the first few chapters, even while feeling like an idiot because it was like standing in the middle of a group of people who were speaking a language I couldn't understand.

But then the fog cleared up and things started to make sense. And then...

This is the hardest review I've had to write so far, because I don't know what to say about this book. I can lean back i
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Oct 05, 2016 Nina (Every Word A Doorway) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nina (Every Word A Doorway) by: Chantal (Every Word A Doorway)
Every Word A Doorway | Instagram |Twitter |Bloglovin

Here's the secret recipe to open my floodgates. Treat with care.

Hand me a contemporary written by Marchetta, and I'll turn into a tsunami of tears.

This review is not going to be as extensive as my usual ones, but please be so kind to check out my
Lucía
Jul 25, 2015 Lucía rated it it was amazing
Tercera Lectura:12 de marzo de 2015

Segunda Lectura: 3 de mayo de 2014

Este libro me ha dejado un desastre; desde que pase el 40% he sido un mar de lagrimas. No estoy exagerando si les digo que terminé con los ojos hinchados de tanto llorar. Mi amor por este libro es inmenso; logre captar pequeños detalles que no noté la primera vez que lo leí y me permitió ver como Melina fue tejiendo poco a poco la historia desde el principio. Los personajes de este libro se sienten tan reales, les tengo mucho
Arlene
Aug 18, 2014 Arlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Pretty much everyone on the Street Corner, especially Alexa
"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More…

Well, it’s been over twelve hours and I still don’t know how to start to review this book. I thought I gave myself enough time for a better perspective and drier eyes, but hot DAMN I’m crying again! I don’t like to cry, and I don’t do it very often because I can’t stand how it feels. But would I trade the emotional experience of this book for steadier breathes and calmer emotions? Not a chance
Bethany
Jul 09, 2009 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Some books, you just can't describe. Some books, you just have to tell people to read, if they want to know. This is a book like that.

I had no idea what was going on for the first, oh, 150 pages? When I hit page 100 and I still wasn't into it, I thought about how some people have a 100 page rule--read the first one hundred pages of a book, and if you still don't like it, you can put it down. I actually considered putting Jellicoe Road down.

I didn't, though, because I had to have something to r
Estefani at Fiction Jungle
Mar 22, 2016 Estefani at Fiction Jungle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
A million stars

First read: 11/07/2014
Second read: 07/01/2015

Edit: There's going to be a movie, I don't want it to be a movie, but what can one do? Melina said that it's going to be very different from the book. I'm so conflicted. (I know this is old news)

"If you weren't driving, I'd kiss you senseless," I tell him.
He swerves to the side of the road and stops the car abruptly. "Not driving any more"

Those exact lines were the ones I read a long time ago, on a post on Tumblr, I immediately goo
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Sep 02, 2015 Rachel Reads Ravenously rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel Reads Ravenously by: Kristin (KC)
3.5 stars rounded up

This was almost a star lower, except for the fact that I could not stop thinking about this book after reading it. That's the mark of a great story.

When Taylor is eleven her mother abandons her. At the age of fourteen her only friend betrays her. At the age of seventeen she is select
YA Buddy Readers'...: On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta- Restarting July 2nd 2016 105 215 Jul 07, 2016 11:18AM
On the Jellicoe Road Dream Cast 5 167 Aug 16, 2015 05:39AM
A Million More Pages: On the Jellicoe Road (Revisit): May 26 22 33 Jun 04, 2015 06:42PM
YA Spanish Reads: On the Jellicoe Road (Marzo) 23 107 Apr 07, 2015 02:33PM
BDCHS Advanced Re...: Jellicoe Road - Aliya Baig 1 10 Oct 17, 2014 06:35AM
  • Raw Blue
  • Graffiti Moon
  • Queen of the Night (This is Shyness, #2)
  • Good Oil
  • Fury
  • Wildlife (Six Impossible Things/Wildlife #2)
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Everything Beautiful
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • Beatle Meets Destiny
  • One Whole and Perfect Day
  • The Ghosts of Ashbury High (Ashbury/Brookfield, #4)
  • The White Darkness
  • The Storyteller
  • Fall for Anything
  • Harmonic Feedback
Melina Marchetta was born in Sydney Australia. Her first novel, Looking For Alibrandi was awarded the Children's Book Council of Australia award in 1993 and her second novel, Saving Francesca won the same award in 2004. Looking For Alibrandi was made into a major film in 2000 and won the Australian Film Institute Award for best Film and best adapted screen play, also written by the author. On the ...more
More about Melina Marchetta...

“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.” 1257 likes
“If you weren't driving, I'd kiss you senseless," I tell him.
He swerves to the side of the road and stops the car abruptly.
"Not driving any more.”