Start by marking “The Secret of Old Zeb” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Old Zeb

The Secret of Old Zeb

Some dreams are too big to be kept in bottles. WALTER HIGGINS IS a scrappy child with a great imagination, yet is still not quite sure of himself. In fact, he feels lost when he is shippd off to Boston to visit his unknown Great Aunt Hortensia (the Warden) while his parents pursue their own dream of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Walter feels he is in for the worst summer ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Peachtree Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Old Zeb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Old Zeb

Leah
The Secret of the Old Zeb was a fanciful tale told in the perspective of a young boy, who was left at his aunt’s house while his parents were away. During his stay, he became curious about his aunt’s neighbor Old Zeb, who he thought was a pirate. Upon further investigation, he discovered that Old Zeb was working on building a full-sized boat called the Milky Way. Once he knew the secret, the boy was recruited to help Old Zeb finish his dream. Would Old Zeb be able to finish the Milky Way and go ...more
Alexa Maring
Apr 06, 2011 Alexa Maring rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
Chapters do not have to be long! In this book a chapter is one page. This book demonstrates a wonderful way to share a story, split up into chapters. When I think of chapter books, I generally think of many pages equalling a chapter. Deedy offers a way for students to see themselves writing chapter books through "The Secret of Old Zeb"! As a read aloud, this book is perfect for short areas of time in between subjects, lunch, etc. At the end of each chapter you are left wanting to know more so ...more
☆Brittany☆
I think this book shouldn't have been on the little kid's shelf because my little kid didn't get any of it. There was a lot of humor in the book that went unnoticed to my 4 yr old (as is to be expected). So I don't know if this book was on the wrong shelf or what, but it definitely wasn't for anyone under 8.

*I* still got a kick out of it though! :D
Jim Sibigtroth
Aug 23, 2015 Jim Sibigtroth rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud-2nd
A great, surprising chapter book that is ideal for reading aloud to second graders. Each chapter is a single page with a great full-page illustration. It can be read aloud in about 20-25 minutes. It is a mystery filled with great messages about things and people not always being what they seem, following your dreams, and parents love for their children. It also has a brief glossary at the end.
Lynn
This book was enjoyable to me; however, my 5 year old son did not enjoy it. He said it was boring, and lost interest about half way through the book. I would recommend this book for an older reader who still enjoys picture books and is moving towards chapter books. Also, I believe that most adults who read this story will enjoy it as well.
Barbara Brien
Sep 20, 2014 Barbara Brien rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, historical
This is the charming story of Walter, who learns a valuable lesson from old Zeb. It is told in flashback by Walter, to his niece Lila. It is also in chapters, despite being a picture book. It also takes place mostly in Boston, which appeals to me.
Alycia Boyce
Book about a child who is left with her uncle while she waits for her parents to get back. She is bored so her uncle tells her a story about one of his summer adventures. The book is in short chapters and very detailed.
Amber
Nov 14, 2008 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
"The Secret of Old Zeb" is a great book for kids who love to read about adventures on the seas. I love the illustrations. I would use this book during a lesson that involves life on the seas or creative writing. c
Timothy Johnson
Timothy Johnson rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2016
Jason Hood
Jason Hood rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2013
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2010
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2010
Amy Sweetapple
Amy Sweetapple rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Palle Dixon
Palle Dixon rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2010
Julie Iverson
Julie Iverson rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2008
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Shannonmde
Shannonmde rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2011
Queen
Queen rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2008
Shari
Shari rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2008
Nichole
Mar 28, 2008 Nichole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hello! This picture book made me cry. Need I say more?
Oluwaseun Ojambati
Oluwaseun Ojambati rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2013
Tim Byrd
Tim Byrd rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2008
Virginia Cade
Virginia Cade rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Jewels
Jewels rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2009
Anica
Anica rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2010
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Trudy Schnell
Trudy Schnell rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Carmen Agra Deedy is an internationally known author of children’s literature, a storyteller and radio contributor. Born in Havana, Cuba, she immigrated to the United States with her family in 1963 after the Cuban Revolution. Deedy grew up in Decatur, Georgia and currently lives in Atlanta and has three daughters.
More about Carmen Agra Deedy...