Start by marking “Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked” as Want to Read:

The ultimate myth-busting collection of quirky and curious facts about your body and health

In 2009, Drs. Aaron E. Carroll and Rachel C. Vreeman explored a wide range of myths and misconceptions about our bodies and health in the media sensation, Don't Swallow Your Gum!, featured on The Dr. Oz Show, CNN, and in The New York Times, USA Today, and more.

Now, they're delving in
Published July 5th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!

Ehm Olsen
I thought this book is really interesting. There are a lot of information that are worth knowing about. One of them is believing that Vit. C can cure and prevent you from getting colds. But this is not the case. I eat oranges everyday but how come I still get a cold? hhhmmmm, maybe this book has the answer............. it sure has! Another interesting idea that has already cleared my mind is believing that if you get sick too often, it means that you have a weak immune system. NOT TRUE!!!! Curio ...more
Judy
A fun interesting read and good information.
Miz
Sep 10, 2011 Miz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miz Lou is currently on page 49 of 289.
Chivon
Aug 08, 2011 Chivon added it
pretty interesting, still not sure if I believe everything in the book.
Gavin Yee
Dec 12, 2013 Gavin Yee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found out about these two books from trying to keep up with John Green (a YouTuber/author) who talks about some of things in the book and how he is also making a YouTube channel with the author of books talking about a healthcare [that is going to explain a lot about how healthcare works].

Both books “Don't Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-Truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health” and “/Don't Cross Your Eyes...They'll Get Stuck That Way!: And 75 Other Health Myths Debunked” addresses
Bill
This book addresses a wide variety of common medical myths and questions by thoroughly checking the current state of knowledge based on the available scientific literature. You can consider them the Myth Busters of medical myths. The book is actually a sequel to another one similar to it. Some of the myths they tackle are more interesting than others, and some are just common sense that didn't seem like they needed addressing (at least to me). Still, the book is thorough without being boring as ...more
Rebecca Pipkin
Jan 03, 2014 Rebecca Pipkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takes a scientific approach to debunk health myths, discussing peer reviewed scientific research conducted for each of the myths it discusses. Organized alphabetically, so you don't necessarily have to read it from front to back but could just have it as a reference. I love this sort of thing and enjoyed sharing snippets with friends and family, who would have thought that there was so much research about hand drying techniques in a bathroom or the best way to preserve your severed limb?
Whitney Garrett
Aug 18, 2014 Whitney Garrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this. I like hearing about all the medical myths that are wrong, and I especially like how the authors incorporate studies that verify their answers. They even talk about whether each study done was a good study or not, and what that might mean for the myth.

One thing I've learned from these books, is we really shouldn't panic so much over everything. Our bodies are a lot tougher than we give them credit for.
Scarecrow
Apr 01, 2014 Scarecrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be more aptly titled" lies your mother told you". Don't go outside with wet hair, Vitamin C is good for a cold, caffeine stunts your growth, and hold your head backward during a nosebleed are just some of the many myths dispelled inside this very useful health research review. When such a large portion of the population has trouble sorting through information, books like this are important.
Shannon
Nov 13, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved all of the myths debunked in this book by Dr. Carroll. My favorite was the one about hydrogen peroxide. No, you should NOT put it on your cut- it will kill the good cells around the wound. Thank you Dr. Carroll!
Erikka
Gotta drop this one a star for the ultimate trivia book cop out--repeat questions. Seriously? Couldn't find enough medical myths for two books? Then make the book shorter before you make me reread/skim answers I already read. Otherwise, just as good as the last one with more humor, which was nice.
Alida
Jul 17, 2013 Alida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well...., ten things that I thought were real ended up biting the dust. But I'm glad that now I now better.
Amber
Jun 01, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am still a bit skeptical about some of the information presented in the book. I am not convinced that all of the myths were strongly debunked.
Rianna
Jan 05, 2015 Rianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great evidence-based medicine. And interesting, too. Every few pages, I found myself saying out loud to whomever was in earshot,"Did you know..."
Bethany E. Toma
Bethany E. Toma rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Ed DeLany
Ed DeLany rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Robert Gillette
Robert Gillette rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Deana
Deana rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Dale E. Collins
Dale E. Collins rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Mark S
Mark S rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Nikki Marmon
Nikki Marmon rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Ivan Mazur
Ivan Mazur rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Beyond The Whiteness of Whiteness: Memoir of a White Mother of Black Sons
  • Shattered Perfection (The Perfection Series Book 1)
  • Parentonomics: An Economist Dad Looks at Parenting
  • Intelligent Thought: Science Versus the Intelligent Design Movement
  • Cold Quiet Country
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus
  • Dogwatching
  • Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved
  • Us and Them: Understanding Your Tribal Mind
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?
  • Crucible: All-New Tales of Valdemar
  • The Borderlands of Science: Where Sense Meets Nonsense
  • The Prehistory of the Mind: The Cognitive Origins of Art, Religion and Science
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • Suckers: How Alternative Medicine Makes Fools of Us All