Start by marking “Summer at Little Lava: A Season at the Edge of the World” as Want to Read:
Summer at Little Lava: A Season at the Edge of the World

Summer at Little Lava: A Season at the Edge of the World

Little Lava is a farmhouse on the west coast of Iceland. No roads lead to it; the way lies across a lagoon flooded twice a day by the tide. A lava field borders the farm. Views give onto mountains, volcanoes, rugged coast, and the pure Icelandic sky.In Summer at Little Lava, Charles Fergus recounts how he fixed up the abandoned house and lived there one summer with his ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by North Point Press

To ask other readers questions about Summer at Little Lava, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer at Little Lava

Mousy Brown
Dec 07, 2016 Mousy Brown rated it really liked it
An interesting, evocative and haunting memoir dealing with loss, death, beauty and nature. I loved the authors descriptions of the wildlife and landscapes of his summer in Iceland (although I sometimes got lost in the minutiae of rock formations, Icelandic spellings and connections). His personal journey from desolation to acceptance and feeling ready to return to his home and human contact was inspiring to observe and confirmed all my beliefs about nature as a great healer. Overall I was left ...more
Alisha Erin
Nov 29, 2016 Alisha Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, iceland
This was a nice read. I was excited that the wife was a writer doing a historical novel about Iceland, but then at the end I found out that she was Nancy Marie Brown (of The Far-Traveler), so I guess I don't have anything new to read after all.

Anyway. This was a quiet book, exploring things about death and birds and nature and grief. But still enjoyable. I <3 Iceland.
Kathy
Feb 16, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Charles Fergus is a great writer :) I almost didn't get this book because I wondered how someone could fill 284 pages about their summer spent in an abandoned farmhouse next to a field of broken lava chunks on the coast of Iceland. Suffice it to say, he did AND it was beautifully descriptive and informative. Iceland is an exciting country when you consider that it's still actively growing through constant volcanic activity. It's also a country that carries reminders of how ancient it is--Mr. ...more
Wendy
Dec 16, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Having just returned from spending a couple of days in Iceland, this book appealed to me because of it's rich descriptions of the landscape, animals, people, and history of the country. Charles Ferguson writes about the experience of spending a summer there with his family in a remote house at the edge of a lava field with a humbleness and awe that is refreshing and enjoyable. He also writes about the experience of grieving over the loss of his mother with real honesty and self-awareness.
David Ward
Jan 22, 2016 David Ward rated it really liked it
Summer at Little Lava: A Season at the Edge of the World by Charles Fergus (North Point Press 1998)(Biography). The same naturalist-writer who wrote Swamp Screamer about Florida cougars takes his family to remotest Iceland for the summer. I like his style and his subject selection. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1/2010.
Nadia
Sep 09, 2012 Nadia added it
Really enjoyed this book. Great insight into life in the Icelandic countryside. So accurate, descriptive, and informative. Would like to read it again sometime in the future.
Caro
May 31, 2016 Caro rated it it was amazing
Simply one of the best bits of nature writing I've ever come across. Beautifully written and marvellously told - a fantastic book. Many thanks, Mr Fergus, for letting us come with you on your summer.
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Don Johanesen
Don Johanesen rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Lena
Lena rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2010
Allan
Allan rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Kristine
Kristine rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
michaelben
michaelben rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
May 18, 2013
Lisa Incatasciato
Lisa Incatasciato rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Edithandersen
Edithandersen rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2009
Kristiwilliamson
Kristiwilliamson rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2011
Esther
Esther rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Flaherty
Flaherty rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Za
Za rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2015
Alisa
Alisa rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Barb Ezell
Barb Ezell rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
lucy by the sea
lucy by the sea rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Krwilliams4223
Krwilliams4223 rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Charles Fergus is the author of seventeen books, most of them about nature and the outdoors. He was born in central Pennsylvania and lived there for many years before moving, in 2003, to a small hill-country farm in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.
More about Charles Fergus...