Start by marking “Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3)” as Want to Read:
Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3)

Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  7,404 ratings  ·  525 reviews
CAN A PIRATE LEARN . . .

River pirate "Charming" Mickey O'Connor has lifted himself from the depths of the slums to be the king of St. Giles. Anything he wants he gets-with one exception. Silence Hollingbrook has been haunting his dreams ever since she spent a single night in his bed.

THAT THE ONLY TRUE TREASURE . . .

Once Silence was willing to sacrifice anything to save the
Published October 18th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scandalous Desires, please sign up.

Maya Hoffmann You can read them separately but some scenes may ruin the other books since the characters are all connected. The series is great! I recommend all the…moreYou can read them separately but some scenes may ruin the other books since the characters are all connected. The series is great! I recommend all the books :)(less)

Shawna
Aug 07, 2014 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of steamy historical romance & ruthless, ultimate bad boy heroes who steal your heart
Shelves: author-elizabeth-hoyt-julia-harper, historical-romance, historical-romance-georgian, series-maiden-lane, pirates-vikings-seafarers-sailors, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hh-widow-or-widower, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, favorite-romance-series, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, gothic-romance, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, kindle, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-or-heroine-or-setting-irish, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-commoner-self-made, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, animals-matter, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, steam-3-hot, steam-4-smokin, favorite-beautiful-lush-cool-covers, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorites, best-top-favorites, best-fave-reads-of-2011, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, 2011-reads, 5-stars-plus, a-all-time-favorite-hero, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, fairytaleesque-bb-cinderella-theme, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-authentic-uber-rake, hero-brooding, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-bad-reputation-fallen, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-i-adore, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, heroine-single-mom, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-rags-to-riches, hh-servant-serving-working-class, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, i-read-own-faves-keepers, i-read-kindle, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, star-crossed-lovers, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, yowza-hotness, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, dirty-talk-turns-me-on, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, hero-affable-lovable-rogue, hero-my-romancelandia-husband-harem, hero-reformed-rake-player, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-wrong-side-of-the-tracks, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, hero-criminal-shady-illegal-acts, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik
This is a delightful free epilogue that's sure to please Maiden Lane fans, especially those who love swoonalicious Charming Mickey.

Merged review:

5+ stars – Historical/Georgian Romance

Wow...just...WOW! A+mazing! Brava Ms. Hoyt, you have truly outdone yourself and exceeded expectations with this spectacular romance!

I wanted to write a full review, but life has been crazy and stressful this past week, leaving me with too little time and insufficient mental capacity. So I’ll just do a bit of gushing
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
3.5 stars.

I will always miss Mickey. He's probably my favorite HR hero. That brogue... *melts* I need to find time in order to reread Scandalous Desires.

Merged review:

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

„That’s me girl.“ He brushed his lips over her forehead, breathing the words. “That’s me love.”

Ah, so much…tension. Banter. Vulnerability. Emotions. Tenderness. Sensuality. Love.

LONDON, April 1738
The most notorious river pirate, “Charming” Mickey O’Connor, has taken the widow, Silence Hollingbrook, and the lit
Juliana
4.5 stars. Ever since my Elizabeth Hoyt obsession began this past summer I have been anxiously anticipating this book. Mickey's character is one of my favorite types of heroes and I loved his pairing with Silence. From the moment I learned of it, I was reminded of the Derek Craven-Sara Fielding matchup in Lisa Kleypas’ Dreaming of You , which is one of my favorite HRs.

Our Hero. Mickey is so lovable and definitely one of my favorite heroes. I think it's sometimes difficult to have villain-turn
KatLynne
Feb 2015 - Did a buddy read with a friend and enjoyed just as much the 2nd time around:).

5+++ Stars I loved most everything about this book and Charming Mickey O'Conner is a hero you'll not want to miss!

Thanks to my GR friends Shawna, Denise & Lisa's review for bringing this amazing book to my attention. This set me on course to read this series and it's one of the best I've read this year.

Due to so many great reviews already posted I think I'll just give a peek at a few remarkable attribut
Rane
Nov 16, 2011 Rane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Serpent Prince

Elizabeth Hoyt books are my version of potato chips, I can't get or have enough of them! Hoyt lives up to her great storytelling and the hype with Scandalous Desires.

When we're first introduced to Silence Hollingbrook and "Charming" Mickey O'Connor in the first of the Maiden Lane series, you know there's going to be sparks flying and do they ever between these two.

Mickey is no exception of the great heroes Hoyt has peened down before, he shows that monsters are not born, but are made, and i
Lisa Kay

& a Wow! Loved every word of it. It is so neat when a book lives up to my hopes and desires. Charming Mickey and Silence have had an unusual history in the Maiden Lane series, with plenty of aching hurt ー the kind that goes bone-deep ー and it is so neat to see the fabulous Ms. Hoyt pull this one off. The pacing is spot-on, the mystery palpable, and their HEA believable. Amazing secondary characters too! I really don’t like it when an author uses the epilogue to set up the next volume; neve
Share❤
I'm seriously on a Elizabeth Hoyt obsession right now. This woman can write no wrongs! This book was amazing! The last few chapters had me on the edge of my seat! It's 1am and I could not put this book down until I finished it!

Mickey is in my top 5 favorite heros. I loved how well written the story was. The romance started from an unusual place, Silence hated Mickey at first, but it blossomed into something beautiful! Hoyt sure knows how to write a character. I loved seeing Mickey turn from sin
Laurie Garrison
Freaking awesome and the best book yet. I couldn’t believe the depth that Hoyt dug into in writing Mickey’s past, it was sad but yet you couldn’t help but admire how he came through it. You get an in-depth story, action, emotions and secrets. The thing you’ll have to wait on is the sex action because Silence is a strong in not obeying Mickey ever again but when it happens you get hit with a Bam! LOL.

Please don’t miss this book because you have to find out who the Ghost of St. Giles is. Oh yeah,
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: October 18, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Hachette Book Group
Imprint: Forever
Author’s Website: http://elizabethhoyt.com/
My Source for This Book: ARC Gift from the Publisher
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 3, Maiden Lane series
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Steamy

*SPOILER WARNING* Official Blurb and Review both contain spoilers for previous novels in the series.

Silence Hollingbrook is a
Mandi Schreiner
I have fallen in love with a pirate.

We have seen glimpses of "Charming" Mickey O'Connor throughout the first two books of Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series. And we have, of course, witnessed Silence Hollingbrook sacrifice herself to Mickey for one night to save her husband from charges he stole cargo from one of Mickey's ships. On that fateful night, Mickey didn't touch Silence, but when she returned home to her husband, all trust was lost, and he soon died.

Now Silence, who with her brother Wi
Katie(babs)
Elizabeth Hoyt has written the must read historical romance of the year. Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3) is beyond perfect from beginning to end. Scandalous Desire will most likely end up being counted as one of my all-time favorite romances because Elizabeth makes the relationship between the hero and heroine work so well when it shouldn’t. “Charming” Mickey O’Connor will become a much beloved hero, so much so that he’s on par with Derek Craven from Lisa Kleypas’s classic novel, Dreaming of ...more
Jill

Although I was possibly expecting a little more from the actual story, overall Scandalous Desires is worthy of all the high ratings and accolades. The plot, the characters, the writing were all as you would expect from Elizabeth Hoyt, one of the top writers of historical romance.

There were a few plot holes, and towards the end of the story the baby, Mary Darling (Silence's ward) seemed to disappear. Which is a shame since she really was as central to the plot as Silence, our heroine.

And
Zurks
What the actual fuck?

I'm forcing myself to keep going with this. The 'hero' Mickey is anything but with an ego so big I'm surprised he can walk and chunks of the plot seem forced.

Edit: I'm at page 145, this is the first time I've disliked a book so much I felt the need to review. May the force be with me.
Edit2: p.161. Okay that was the strangest self-pleasuring scene I've ever read...and then she watched him? Am I reading the same book as everyone here?!
Edit3: predictable in that the pirate guy
Bark's Book Nonsense
I didn’t realize Scandalous Desires was the third book in a series until I was nearly finished with it. With that said, I thought it stood alone quite well and I never felt lost or smothered by an info dump. I may have had a deeper understanding of certain events had I read the previous two books but I wouldn’t say it was necessary to read them in order to enjoy Scandalous Desire.

Mickey O’ Connor is the most feared pirate in all the land. He steals, he ruins the lives of greedy men (and sometime
Audrey
4+/4.5 stars. This was a reeeeeally strong story for me with great development and lots of juicy anticipation since they waited quite a while (for Hoyt's standards) to get on with the sexytimes. However, something was lacking to make it that full 5 stars. Note: On reflection, I think that "something" was for the heroine to be a strong enough counterpart to the enthralling pirate hero. Regardless, this one is the best of the series thus far, and I'm absolutely thrilled to have had TWO super duper ...more
Chumchum_88
All I can say it's just as expected ... simply wonderful ^^

I liked everything about this book. other than the story itself I especially liked the short stories that in a way similar to the stories in this series and how they start each chapter.

As usual I liked the main couple in this book too, in the Hero what I liked about him was his willingness to open up to the Heroine about his past, not many hero's do it. Even though was he did to her previously was despicable but his words rang true "If h
Dee
Mickey was a pirate, a man who was feared by many. He had little regard for how he affected other peoples lives and he stole and killed to get what he wanted. We met Mickey in the first book of the series when Silence marched into his home and demanded that he return the cargo that he stole from her husband's ship, he agreed but on one condition and that was that Silence had to do as he wished. Trying to save her husband from being arrested and eventually hanged for stealing the cargo himself sh ...more
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
This is my review for Scandalous Desires Epilogue that was separately published as a freebie on the author's website in 2014. Making a note since this separate issue has been merged with the original work (as far as I know that's not what we're supposed to be doing unless it's a reissue, second or foreign edition of the same book) and any information regarding the Epilogue has been repeatedly removed. There was a special reason behind this epilogue, which wasn't a part of the original work, whic ...more
Crista
This one deserves every single star that could possibly be awarded and then some. Some day I'm going to make an All-Star Hero list....and make no mistake, "Charming" Mickey O'Connor will be on it!

We are first introduced to "Charming Mickey" in Wicked Intentions. He has to be in the running for one of the most impressive "villain turned hero" transformations in romanlandia history. The others that I can site that could compete are Sebastian St. Vincent from Devil in Winter and Derek Craven from D
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

I really loved Mickey. Silence was enjoyable too, but at times I felt like you could insert any naive, innocent romance heroine in her place and still have the same story. Mickey was the driving force of the book and, truth be told,Silence's most important role was drawing him out of himself. I still enjoyed it, but it kept me from absolutely loving it.

I liked how intensely it focused on their interactions together. I really loved watching Mickey open himself up to her. He was a fabu
Keri
I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK!!!! The minute I finished it, I wanted to start with page one again and start all over again. I loved Mickey and Silence as a couple. Some parts of it were written with such poignancy that it brought tears to my eyes. Ms. Hoyt is such an awesome talented writer and then the tease in the end at the next book...I want it now! Me not want to wait! The book however was well worth the wait and I am glad we got to read about our other couples without them taking over the book. If ...more
Wendy
Superb!

Mickey O'Connor is a charming, sexy, bad boy, swoon worthy alpha male, that makes my heart beat out of my chest. Underneath that exterior he has a big heart, which makes him endearing and adorable. Silence Hollingbrook on the other hand is strong willed, and she alone holds the key to his heart. The perfect H/h.

This is a great series, it's engaging, humorous, and beautifully written. 5 HUGE stars from moi!
Anne OK
The absolute best historical I've read! So worth the wait and one I'm going to reread again tomorrow! I would rate it 10 stars if I could! I love this pirate's story!
A full review will follow soon.
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
This book far exceeded my expectations!! Great story and the Charming Mickey/Silence love scenes are so HOT!!! The identity of the Ghost of St Giles is revealed as well. (My guess was way out). Altogether, this will probably be the best book of the year for me.

My Charming Mickey

My Silence

FULL REVIEW

When I discovered that the publishing date for SCANDALOUS DESIRES, the third book in Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series, had been brought forward to October 18, I was jumping with joy, so eager was I
Lady Wesley
It's 1738 and Silence Hollingbrook, a widow, works with her brother Winter running the Home for Unfortunate Infants and Foundling Children in the dangerous St. Giles section of London. Shortly after her husband William was lost at sea, someone left an infant on her doorstep, and she has treated the little girl as her own, naming her Mary Darling.

One day Mary Darling disappears and Silence tracks her to the "palace" of notorious river pirate Charming Mickey O'Connor. Charming Mickey was responsi
Julianna
Nov 07, 2011 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance, "Bad Boy" Heroes
Reviewed for THC Reviews
After reading the first two books in Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series, I was eagerly awaiting Silence and Mickey's story. Even though I had only seen glimpses of them in those two novels, I had become enthralled by their characters and thought that their own story would have to be good. Now that I've finally read it, I can say without a doubt that it wasn't just good it was absolutely amazing. Scandalous Desires exceeded my wildest expectations and was quite possibly t
Lisa
Silence and Mickey. If you have read the previous two books in Elizabeth Hoyts Maiden Lane series (Wicked Intentions and Notorious Pleasures) I need not say more as fans have been waiting for this story since our couples first life changing meeting in Wicked Intentions. Now there is always that lingering question...can a book with so much anticipation live up to the hope readers have been clamoring for? Oh, yes. Yes, yes, yes. Ms Hoyt knocked it out of the park with this one.

Mickey O'Connor, not
Nikki
Nov 01, 2011 Nikki rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HR lovers who enjoy an original and intricate storyline.
5 stars.

Captivating and enthralling. I've been a bit leery with my ratings lately and have been quite hard on the books I've read; but I think this one deserves 5 stars.

What can I say...? This series is incredibly well written and the characters/background/story arcs are so intricately interwoven, it really makes you appreciate authors like Elizabeth Hoyt that take their writing to the next level. Another thing I've loved about this series is the fact that it's setting is not your usual HR setti
Miranda
 photo beauty9_zpsb5c619ab.gif

Ohhhhh myyyyy goodnesssss! Talk about breathtaking! I love this story. It's easily one of the best books I've read all year. Can I please, please have Michael for Christmas? I've been extra good. I love this hero. I just wanna snatch him up and keep him for myself. I've always had a weakness for a bad boy pirate! Swoon!!

Hoyt is an amazing author and she has a spectacular series going. I cannot wait to read the next.

I highly recommend this book if you love historical romance. I would also recomm
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I loved this book. It was absolutely everything I hoped it would be and then some. Elizabeth Hoyt did a phenomenal job setting up the romance between Silence and Charming Mickey. It whet my appetite in all the right ways in the first two books of the series. But watching it unfold here was even better than I expected.

The first time we met Mick, he was more villain than hero material. He stole the cargo from the ship that belonged to Silence’s husband, and she went to him, asking to get it back.
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • One Night with a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #3)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • One Night in London (The Truth About the Duke #1)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in central Illinois with three untrained dogs, two angelic but bickering children, and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt...

Maiden Lane (10 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • A Maiden Lane Christmas Special (Maiden Lane, #6.5)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3) Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1) To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2) Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)

“Why?” he whispered as he leaned over her, supported on one arm. “Why must ye be the one that haunts me dreams? I’ve seen ye weepin’ night after bloody night since the day I sent ye from me palace with yer dress half undone. If I had it to do over again, I’d cut me own right hand off rather than hurt ye so. Will ye never be able to forgive me, Silence love?”

“I already have,” she replied, cradling his cheek in her hand. “Long, long ago.”
28 likes
“There, there, sweetin’,” he murmured into her hair.

“He loved me, he truly did,” she gasped.

“I know he did,” Michael said.

“And I loved him.”

“Mm-hmm.”

She raised her head, glaring angrily. “You don’t even believe in love. Why are you agreeing with me?”

He laughed.

“Because”—he leaned down and licked at the tears on her cheeks, his lips brushing softly against her sensitive skin as he spoke, “ye’ve bewitched and bespelled me, my sweet Silence, didn’t ye know? I’ll agree that the sky is pink, that the moon is made o’ marzipan and sugared raisins, and that mermaids swim the muddy waters o’ the Thames, if ye’ll only stop weepin’. Me chest breaks apart and gapes wide open when I see tears in yer pretty eyes. Me lungs, me liver, and me heart cannot stand to be thus exposed.”

She stopped breathing. She simply inhaled and stopped, looking at him in wonder. His lips were quirked in a mocking smile, but his eyes—his fathomless black eyes—seemed to hold a great pain as if his strong chest really had been split open.”
18 likes