Start by marking “Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3)” as Want to Read:
Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3)

Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,374 Ratings  ·  587 Reviews
CAN A PIRATE LEARN . . .

River pirate "Charming" Mickey O'Connor has lifted himself from the depths of the slums to be the king of St. Giles. Anything he wants he gets-with one exception. Silence Hollingbrook has been haunting his dreams ever since she spent a single night in his bed.

THAT THE ONLY TRUE TREASURE . . .

Once Silence was willing to sacrifice anything to save the
Published October 18th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scandalous Desires, please sign up.

MTC Hoffmann You can read them separately but some scenes may ruin the other books since the characters are all connected. The series is great! I recommend all the…moreYou can read them separately but some scenes may ruin the other books since the characters are all connected. The series is great! I recommend all the books :)(less)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
5 stars. Reread November 2015. Review edited November 24, 2015.

photo oie_NsdeoZDs6lo7_zpsi2raimut.png
 photo oie_4RzmFMIzeXdt_zpscsibbgeh.png

"That’s me girl.“ He brushed his lips over her forehead, breathing the words. “That’s me love.”

So much tension. Banter. Vulnerability. Emotions. Tenderness. Sensuality. Love.

London, April 1738
The most notorious river pirate, Charming Mickey O’Connor, has taken the widow, Silence Hollingbrook, and the little Mary Darling to his palace to protect them. He fears that the villain, Charly Grady, the Vicar of Whitechapel, will harm them
Shawna
Aug 07, 2014 Shawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of steamy historical romance & ruthless, ultimate bad boy heroes who steal your heart
Shelves: favorites, yowza-hotness, i-read-own-faves-keepers, historical-romance, author-elizabeth-hoyt-julia-harper, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, best-top-favorites, favorite-romance-series, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, hero-i-wanna-marry, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, historical-romance-georgian, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-commoner-self-made, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hh-widow-or-widower, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, animals-matter, dirty-talk-turns-me-on, pirates-vikings-seafarers-sailors, favorite-beautiful-lush-cool-covers, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, fairytaleesque-bb-cinderella-theme, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hh-servant-serving-working-class, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, series-maiden-lane, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, star-crossed-lovers, i-read-kindle, kindle, 2011-reads, best-fave-reads-of-2011, 5-stars-plus, steam-3-hot, steam-4-smokin, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, hero-brooding, hh-across-the-tracks, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, hh-rags-to-riches, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, hero-or-heroine-or-setting-irish, heroine-single-mom, heroine-destitute-poor, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, gothic-romance, heroine-bad-reputation-fallen, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, hero-authentic-uber-rake, a-all-time-favorite-hero, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, hero-reformed-rake-player, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik, hero-affable-lovable-rogue, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-wrong-side-of-the-tracks, hero-my-romancelandia-husband-harem, hero-criminal-shady-illegal-acts
This is a delightful free epilogue that's sure to please Maiden Lane fans, especially those who love swoonalicious Charming Mickey.

Merged review:

5+ stars – Historical/Georgian Romance

Wow...just...WOW! A+mazing! Brava Ms. Hoyt, you have truly outdone yourself and exceeded expectations with this spectacular romance!

I wanted to write a full review, but life has been crazy and stressful this past week, leaving me with too little time and insufficient mental capacity. So I’ll just do a bit of gushing
Juliana Philippa
4.5 stars. Ever since my Elizabeth Hoyt obsession began this past summer I have been anxiously anticipating this book. Mickey's character is one of my favorite types of heroes and I loved his pairing with Silence. From the moment I learned of it, I was reminded of the Derek Craven-Sara Fielding matchup in Lisa Kleypas’ Dreaming of You , which is one of my favorite HRs.

Our Hero. Mickey is so lovable and definitely one of my favorite heroes. I think it's sometimes difficult to have villain-turn
Rane
Nov 16, 2011 Rane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Serpent Prince

Elizabeth Hoyt books are my version of potato chips, I can't get or have enough of them! Hoyt lives up to her great storytelling and the hype with Scandalous Desires.

When we're first introduced to Silence Hollingbrook and "Charming" Mickey O'Connor in the first of the Maiden Lane series, you know there's going to be sparks flying and do they ever between these two.

Mickey is no exception of the great heroes Hoyt has peened down before, he shows that monsters are not born, but are made, and i
Mo
Dec 10, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mickey, ye would charm the knickers off a nun!! LOL. OK, being Irish, I have a bit of a problem with Irish characters and especially OTT Irish characters with OTT Irish accents. WE. DO. NOT. TALK. LIKE. FUCKING. LEPRECHAUNS.

But I sort of said to myself, he is based back in the 18th century so let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Charmin' Mickey.

He sure was charming.

"I need to know that I'm more to you than a woman in your bed."

Oh God, he was so powerful. She watched him.

"Why must ye be
KatLynne
Feb 2015 - Did a buddy read with a friend and enjoyed just as much the 2nd time around:).

5+++ Stars I loved most everything about this book and Charming Mickey O'Conner is a hero you'll not want to miss!

Thanks to my GR friends Shawna, Denise & Lisa's review for bringing this amazing book to my attention. This set me on course to read this series and it's one of the best I've read this year.

Due to so many great reviews already posted I think I'll just give a peek at a few remarkable attribut
Jonetta
River pirate Mickey O'Connor resurfaces in this story, this time when he's faced with a threat that affects Silence Hollingbrook, now widowed, and baby Mary Darling. What follows puts them together for an extended time, revealing their true selves to one another.

I loved the "dance" Mickey and Silence orchestrated throughout the story, their witty dialogue eventually being replaced with honest and sincere revelations. When I began the story, I was unsure if I could warm to Mickey so I was very p
Lisa Kay

& a Wow! Loved every word of it. It is so neat when a book lives up to my hopes and desires. Charming Mickey and Silence have had an unusual history in the Maiden Lane series, with plenty of aching hurt ー the kind that goes bone-deep ー and it is so neat to see the fabulous Ms. Hoyt pull this one off. The pacing is spot-on, the mystery palpable, and their HEA believable. Amazing secondary characters too! I really don’t like it when an author uses the epilogue to set up the next volume; neve
Sher❤
I'm seriously on a Elizabeth Hoyt obsession right now. This woman can write no wrongs! This book was amazing! The last few chapters had me on the edge of my seat! It's 1am and I could not put this book down until I finished it!

Mickey is in my top 5 favorite heros. I loved how well written the story was. The romance started from an unusual place, Silence hated Mickey at first, but it blossomed into something beautiful! Hoyt sure knows how to write a character. I loved seeing Mickey turn from sin
Karen
Jan 01, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

Well this series just keeps getting better and better! Elizabeth Hoyt has really captured my interest in these characters and the growing intrigue in St. Giles is just too much to resist.

This story involves the recently widowed Silence Hollingbrook, and the notoriously arrogant and wicked pirate Charming Mickey O'Connor. The same ruthless man who only a year ago had cost her not only the love and respect of her dear husband, but also her entire reputation and good standing in the communi
Jill

Although I was possibly expecting a little more from the actual story, overall Scandalous Desires is worthy of all the high ratings and accolades. The plot, the characters, the writing were all as you would expect from Elizabeth Hoyt, one of the top writers of historical romance.

There were a few plot holes, and towards the end of the story the baby, Mary Darling (Silence's ward) seemed to disappear. Which is a shame since she really was as central to the plot as Silence, our heroine.

And
Zurks
Jun 16, 2012 Zurks rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What the actual fuck?

I'm forcing myself to keep going with this. The 'hero' Mickey is anything but with an ego so big I'm surprised he can walk and chunks of the plot seem forced.

Edit: I'm at page 145, this is the first time I've disliked a book so much I felt the need to review. May the force be with me.
Edit2: p.161. Okay that was the strangest self-pleasuring scene I've ever read...and then she watched him? Am I reading the same book as everyone here?!
Edit3: predictable in that the pirate guy
Laurie Garrison
Freaking awesome and the best book yet. I couldn’t believe the depth that Hoyt dug into in writing Mickey’s past, it was sad but yet you couldn’t help but admire how he came through it. You get an in-depth story, action, emotions and secrets. The thing you’ll have to wait on is the sex action because Silence is a strong in not obeying Mickey ever again but when it happens you get hit with a Bam! LOL.

Please don’t miss this book because you have to find out who the Ghost of St. Giles is. Oh yeah,
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: October 18, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Hachette Book Group
Imprint: Forever
Author’s Website: http://elizabethhoyt.com/
My Source for This Book: ARC Gift from the Publisher
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 3, Maiden Lane series
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Steamy

*SPOILER WARNING* Official Blurb and Review both contain spoilers for previous novels in the series.

Silence Hollingbrook is a
Mandi Schreiner
I have fallen in love with a pirate.

We have seen glimpses of "Charming" Mickey O'Connor throughout the first two books of Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series. And we have, of course, witnessed Silence Hollingbrook sacrifice herself to Mickey for one night to save her husband from charges he stole cargo from one of Mickey's ships. On that fateful night, Mickey didn't touch Silence, but when she returned home to her husband, all trust was lost, and he soon died.

Now Silence, who with her brother Wi
Katie(babs)
Sep 16, 2011 Katie(babs) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Hoyt has written the must read historical romance of the year. Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3) is beyond perfect from beginning to end. Scandalous Desire will most likely end up being counted as one of my all-time favorite romances because Elizabeth makes the relationship between the hero and heroine work so well when it shouldn’t. “Charming” Mickey O’Connor will become a much beloved hero, so much so that he’s on par with Derek Craven from Lisa Kleypas’s classic novel, Dreaming of ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
I didn’t realize Scandalous Desires was the third book in a series until I was nearly finished with it. With that said, I thought it stood alone quite well and I never felt lost or smothered by an info dump. I may have had a deeper understanding of certain events had I read the previous two books but I wouldn’t say it was necessary to read them in order to enjoy Scandalous Desire.

Mickey O’ Connor is the most feared pirate in all the land. He steals, he ruins the lives of greedy men (and sometime
Audrey
4+/4.5 stars. This was a reeeeeally strong story for me with great development and lots of juicy anticipation since they waited quite a while (for Hoyt's standards) to get on with the sexytimes. However, something was lacking to make it that full 5 stars. Note: On reflection, I think that "something" was for the heroine to be a strong enough counterpart to the enthralling pirate hero. Regardless, this one is the best of the series thus far, and I'm absolutely thrilled to have had TWO super duper ...more
Chumchum_88
All I can say it's just as expected ... simply wonderful ^^

I liked everything about this book. other than the story itself I especially liked the short stories that in a way similar to the stories in this series and how they start each chapter.

As usual I liked the main couple in this book too, in the Hero what I liked about him was his willingness to open up to the Heroine about his past, not many hero's do it. Even though was he did to her previously was despicable but his words rang true "If h
Dee
Jul 08, 2012 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dee by: Baba
Mickey was a pirate, a man who was feared by many. He had little regard for how he affected other peoples lives and he stole and killed to get what he wanted. We met Mickey in the first book of the series when Silence marched into his home and demanded that he return the cargo that he stole from her husband's ship, he agreed but on one condition and that was that Silence had to do as he wished. Trying to save her husband from being arrested and eventually hanged for stealing the cargo himself sh ...more
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Nov 27, 2015 Michelle [Helen Geek] rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone. A favorite of mine.
Recommended to Michelle by: Shawna
11/24/2015 -- Re-read

I agree with all I've said below. I enjoyed this book as much or more than I did before. I don't modify ratings for a re-read, but if I did, I'd bump this to 5 Stars. Mick was glorious and the tension between he and Silence was thick through most of it. I love books like this one. 5 Stars!

Happy Reading!

Note: This one stands alone. Not necessary to read others in the series before reading this.
Also -- I lost interest in the Maiden Lane series after reading another one or two.
Crista
This one deserves every single star that could possibly be awarded and then some. Some day I'm going to make an All-Star Hero list....and make no mistake, "Charming" Mickey O'Connor will be on it!

We are first introduced to "Charming Mickey" in Wicked Intentions. He has to be in the running for one of the most impressive "villain turned hero" transformations in romanlandia history. The others that I can site that could compete are Sebastian St. Vincent from Devil in Winter and Derek Craven from D
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

I really loved Mickey. Silence was enjoyable too, but at times I felt like you could insert any naive, innocent romance heroine in her place and still have the same story. Mickey was the driving force of the book and, truth be told,Silence's most important role was drawing him out of himself. I still enjoyed it, but it kept me from absolutely loving it.

I liked how intensely it focused on their interactions together. I really loved watching Mickey open himself up to her. He was a fabu
Keri
I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK!!!! The minute I finished it, I wanted to start with page one again and start all over again. I loved Mickey and Silence as a couple. Some parts of it were written with such poignancy that it brought tears to my eyes. Ms. Hoyt is such an awesome talented writer and then the tease in the end at the next book...I want it now! Me not want to wait! The book however was well worth the wait and I am glad we got to read about our other couples without them taking over the book. If ...more
Anne OK
Oct 19, 2011 Anne OK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
The absolute best historical I've read! So worth the wait and one I'm going to reread again tomorrow! I would rate it 10 stars if I could! I love this pirate's story!
A full review will follow soon.
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Jan 12, 2015 .þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Maiden Lane series
This is my review for Scandalous Desires Epilogue that was separately published as a freebie on the author's website in 2014. Making a note since this separate issue has been merged with the original work (as far as I know that's not what we're supposed to be doing unless it's a reissue, second or foreign edition of the same book) and any information regarding the Epilogue has been repeatedly removed. There was a special reason behind this epilogue, which wasn't a part of the original work, whic ...more
Lisa
Silence and Mickey. If you have read the previous two books in Elizabeth Hoyts Maiden Lane series (Wicked Intentions and Notorious Pleasures) I need not say more as fans have been waiting for this story since our couples first life changing meeting in Wicked Intentions. Now there is always that lingering question...can a book with so much anticipation live up to the hope readers have been clamoring for? Oh, yes. Yes, yes, yes. Ms Hoyt knocked it out of the park with this one.

Mickey O'Connor, not
Wendy
Superb!

Mickey O'Connor is a charming, sexy, bad boy, swoon worthy alpha male, that makes my heart beat out of my chest. Underneath that exterior he has a big heart, which makes him endearing and adorable. Silence Hollingbrook on the other hand is strong willed, and she alone holds the key to his heart. The perfect H/h.

This is a great series, it's engaging, humorous, and beautifully written. 5 HUGE stars from moi!
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
This book far exceeded my expectations!! Great story and the Charming Mickey/Silence love scenes are so HOT!!! The identity of the Ghost of St Giles is revealed as well. (My guess was way out). Altogether, this will probably be the best book of the year for me.

My Charming Mickey

My Silence

FULL REVIEW

When I discovered that the publishing date for SCANDALOUS DESIRES, the third book in Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series, had been brought forward to October 18, I was jumping with joy, so eager was I
Lady Wesley
It's 1738 and Silence Hollingbrook, a widow, works with her brother Winter running the Home for Unfortunate Infants and Foundling Children in the dangerous St. Giles section of London. Shortly after her husband William was lost at sea, someone left an infant on her doorstep, and she has treated the little girl as her own, naming her Mary Darling.

One day Mary Darling disappears and Silence tracks her to the "palace" of notorious river pirate Charming Mickey O'Connor. Charming Mickey was responsi
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Unclaimed (Turner, #2)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • One Night with a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #3)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt...

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)

“Why?” he whispered as he leaned over her, supported on one arm. “Why must ye be the one that haunts me dreams? I’ve seen ye weepin’ night after bloody night since the day I sent ye from me palace with yer dress half undone. If I had it to do over again, I’d cut me own right hand off rather than hurt ye so. Will ye never be able to forgive me, Silence love?”

“I already have,” she replied, cradling his cheek in her hand. “Long, long ago.”
29 likes
“There, there, sweetin’,” he murmured into her hair.

“He loved me, he truly did,” she gasped.

“I know he did,” Michael said.

“And I loved him.”

“Mm-hmm.”

She raised her head, glaring angrily. “You don’t even believe in love. Why are you agreeing with me?”

He laughed.

“Because”—he leaned down and licked at the tears on her cheeks, his lips brushing softly against her sensitive skin as he spoke, “ye’ve bewitched and bespelled me, my sweet Silence, didn’t ye know? I’ll agree that the sky is pink, that the moon is made o’ marzipan and sugared raisins, and that mermaids swim the muddy waters o’ the Thames, if ye’ll only stop weepin’. Me chest breaks apart and gapes wide open when I see tears in yer pretty eyes. Me lungs, me liver, and me heart cannot stand to be thus exposed.”

She stopped breathing. She simply inhaled and stopped, looking at him in wonder. His lips were quirked in a mocking smile, but his eyes—his fathomless black eyes—seemed to hold a great pain as if his strong chest really had been split open.”
20 likes