Cannabis: A History

Cannabis: A History

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  18 reviews
To some it's the classic "gateway drug," to others it is a harmless way to relax, or provide relief from pain. Some fear it is dangerous and addictive, while others feel it should be decriminalized. Whatever the viewpoint, cannabis incites debate at every level, and the effect it has on every corner of the globe is undeniable.

In this comprehensive study, Martin Booth craft...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Picador (first published 2003)

Cwn_annwn_13
There were areas I wish he would have went more in depth with, like how the coffeehouse scene in Holland came into existance and other areas I wasn't as interested in, like hippy pop culture. Also he overemphasizes a lot of things that went on in Britain, which historicly isn't exactly the epicenter for Marijuana activity and culture. The author isn't a stoner, or at least doesn't come off as one, but he seems to be pro-Cannabis at least to the extent of showing the stupidity of the law enforcem...more
Max
It's extremely difficult to come by any well-researched, reliable, and generally impartial material on this plant. Those writing about it are generally either of the opinion that it's a Satanic weed sent to destroy our way of life or convinced that it's the holy Tree of Life from which all wisdom and joy are derived. Booth, meanwhile, is even-handed and thorough, providing an incredible amount of information about the history of this plant as well as its many uses—not just as an intoxicant, but...more
Jeffrey William
very very extensive history! of a plant i enjoy. it starts from ancient times, to tribal cultures, to literary circles in late 1800s, to early jazz, to the 60s counter culture, aslingers zealous campaign against it (hence the over-extreme paranoid stances of today) and beyond. he discusses uses for industrial applications and more so using as a mind altering substance. there are a lot of interesting details of usages by artists, writers, and musicians a lot of us love. how it was smuggled throug...more
Suzanne
A very well rounded, open look at this oft maligned, but also extraordinary plant. Covers many interesting aspects of Cannabis' influence throughout history - from the ancient Hindu traditions in India, to the truth behind the legendary Assassins, and touching upon many of the 19th and 20th century figures that are essential to the drug counterculture; Aleister Crowley, Timothy Leary, Allen Ginsberg, and Harry Anslinger, among others. Also reveals many lesser known facts and historical events. A...more
Willow
A very interesting book about a plant that has been unfairly given a bad rap. Looks at the role cannabis has played in almost every aspect of human existence from agriculture to counter culture. Also shows how cannabis has been blacklisted for so many wrong reasons. Very illuminating. Should be read by more politicians, law officers and critics, as well as anyone who has ever had an interest in "the herb". I highly recommend this book!
Cassie Walker
This book seems like it would only belong on the shelf of a stoner, but shouldn't be- it is a really interesting perspective on world history; tackling racism, culture and ethics with a focus on religion, government, and art.
Scottiev
A little slow and dry at the beginning but once you realize how far back the history of Mary Jane telescopes back, makes one ask why this plant with so much history is the most hated next to morning glories.
Wendy
Epiphanous! When I learned that botanists created a new family of plants in order to properly classify cannabis (hemp) and humulus (hops), I achieved a rare moment of total clarity.
Catherine
A very good history of cannabis that I would recommend to people who partake in it and also people who are against it.
Tippy Jackson
Abandoned not because it wasn't good, but because I have way too much in my queue and I really don't need to know this much about any one plant right now. This book is exhaustive to say the least. Many, many details of the ecology, properties, history and biology of Cannabis plants, of which there are many varieties that are also described in detail and their uses listed. If I ever need info on Cannabis, I will grab this book again, but until then, I think I'm good. I would definitely recommend...more
John Constantine
A more accurate title might have included the word "cultural" before "history," because this excellent volume does particularly well in not abstracting its subject from the context in which it is most valued. I've read other reviews that bemoan Booth's sonorous writing style (and I've read the same thing about Hofstadter), but I found it to be a lively and very engaging study. Of particular note is the astute commentary on cannabis' political uses. I highly recommend this work.
Susan  Odetta
"Cannabis is non-toxic. No deaths have been recorded from overdosing. Indeed, it has been suggested that it would take 800 joints to kill, coming from carbon monoxide rather than cannabinoid poisoning. By comparison 300 ml of vodka or 60 mg of nicotine would be lethal."

Cho
Excellent comprehensive history. Extremely well researched. Not a far out groovy trippy read but a straight ahead history. This guy covers it all. The sections about pot legislation are my favorite.
Erik
Excellent historical overview
Niko
A great historical overview!
Alfred
I think histories of just about any drug - opium, heroin, cocaine, alcohol, meth - would be interesting. And so it goes with the history of cannabis. Booth is an excellent researcher and a capable wordsmith. This book covers the topic pretty comprehensively but is not overly inspiring. Still, seems to be the top pick for a general look at a very topical drug.
Kira
Contrary to what you might think, this book is kind of a snooze. I found the beginning, which was about the scientific aspects of cannabis, very interesting, but the historical part reminds me of history class. Which is a good reminder that just because something involves weed it's not always fun. Maybe I'll finish it some day...
Fraser
I found this to be a little bit too dry for me and at times it just didn't hold my attention and interest.

Ksenia
Ksenia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Morpheus
Morpheus marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
bookster
bookster marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Susie Giles
Susie Giles marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
  • The Emperor Wears No Clothes: The Authoritative Historical Record of Cannabis and the Conspiracy Against Marijuana
  • Cocaine: An Unauthorized Biography
  • Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD and the Sixties Rebellion
  • From Chocolate to Morphine
  • Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream
  • This Is Your Country on Drugs: The Secret History of Getting High in America
  • Killer Weed: An Ed Rosenberg Mystery
  • Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization
  • The Cigarette Century: The Rise, Fall, and Deadly Persistence of the Product that Defined America
  • Questioning the Millennium: A Rationalist's Guide to a Precisely Arbitrary Countdown
  • The Harvard Psychedelic Club
  • Buzzed: The Straight Facts about the Most Used and Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy
  • Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Cocaine Explosion
  • Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers
  • Heart of Dankness: Underground Botanists, Outlaw Farmers, and the Race for the Cannabis Cup
  • LSD My Problem Child: Reflections on Sacred Drugs, Mysticism and Science
  • Pharmako/Poeia: Plant Powers, Poisons, and Herbcraft
  • The Howard Marks Book of Dope Stories
Martin Booth writes strong, pacy adventures with compelling storylines. His work is dramatic, cinematic and well-researched. If you're looking for a gripping read (with guaranteed boy appeal), you're in the right hands!

THE BASICS
Born: Lancashire, 1944
Jobs: Screenwriter, Novelist
Lives: Somerset
First Book for Children: War Dog, 1996
More about Martin Booth...
A Very Private Gentleman Gweilo: Memories of a Hong Kong Childhood Doctor Illuminatus (The Alchemist’s Son, #1) The Industry of Souls Music On The Bamboo Radio