Start by marking “Agyar” as Want to Read:
Agyar

Agyar

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,255 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
A novel of immortality---and its price
Born over a century ago, Agyar was once a frivolous young man, before he found unwanted immortality in a woman's blood-red lips. Now he goes from woman to woman, and decade to decade, finding himself at last in an Midwestern college town, where he must choose between the seductions of salvation--and of destruction.
Published (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Agyar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agyar

Nancy
Dec 05, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, vampires
Agyar is my first introduction to Steven Brust. It's short, a stand-alone and quite an original vampire tale. The author succeeds at being humorous and witty without going overboard, and creates introspective and complex characters struggling to survive in a world when they are "different".

The first-person narrative easily enables the reader to get into the head of the main character without the author's opinions and judgment. Agyar is certainly not the most likeable character, but he easily ju
Jim
I like vampire novels & this isn't one nor is it horror or romance, yet it's all 3. The word 'vampire' is never once mentioned in the book, yet you're left with no doubt as to what Brust means. I really can't say more, maybe shouldn't have said that much. The process of discovery is one of the things that makes this book so well done. Each word is crafted with a precision that leads to inescapable conclusions, yet almost made me want to re-read it to see if I could have misunderstood.

The wor
Stephen
5.0 stars. One of the best vampire novels I have ever read (and the only one in which the word vampire does not appear). A haunting, emotional story that will stay with you long after you are finished reading the book.
Duffy Pratt
Jan 21, 2015 Duffy Pratt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
I really like Brust. This one played down some of the more common Brust elements. It's hard to go on and on about food and cooking when your narrator has a purely liquid diet, and a single liquid at that. And there wasn't much on drumming, or the Grateful Dead, and the Hungarian allusions were at a minimum. It still had more than its share of cleverness, and the main character was quite likable, for a vampire.

The story kind of sneaks up on you. For a while, I felt as though nothing was happenin
Chris Bauer
Jan 08, 2013 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Brust since I was in college (long, long ago) and was very interested when one of his works of a non-Vlad Taltos kind was made available for purchase.

After about 4 pages I was utterly hooked. Nobody works a book behind the scenes like Brust. His ability to impart a metric butt-ton of information by what he DOES NOT include in dialogue, descriptions and plot is amazing.

There are certain conventions one grows accustomed to after reading a lot of horror/sf/fantasy; almost like au
Jamie Collins
Don't let the inane prologue put you off, this is a pretty good little vampire story, a quick, absorbing read. It's a first-person narrative of a rather aimless vampire who manages to repress most of his wicked instincts and so tends to think of himself as a decent guy. He comes across as likable, and only his casually ruthless treatment of a girl named Jill keeps you from agreeing with him.

It didn't really work for me as a romance. It's also not quite horror. The book is never explicit or gory
Tom Whalley
Mia
Apr 03, 2014 Mia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading and liking a new book is like a good first date. Something about the book makes you pick it up-- the cover, the synopsis, a blurb, a good friend's recommendation, even a random pick hoping for serendipity. You start reading, pleasantly surprised when your interest grows with each page. Every new revelation signals even more intrigue and mystery that you're eager to uncover. But you reserve judgment, still cautious and guarded, knowing it may yet disappoint. You're a roller coaster of emo ...more
Scott
Feb 04, 2015 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
***SPOILERS***
Things I pretty much hated about this book:
1. I agree with someone else's statement that the entire structure of the book makes no sense (more specifically, how the diary structure plays out). Why would a vampire go out of his way to obfuscate his undead condition in his own diary entries? As far as he knows, the only other entity that's going to read his work is the ghost Jim.
2. I cringed continuously at Brust's attempts to give Agyar any semblance of three-dimensionality. Shouldn
Tudor Ciocarlie
Aug 28, 2011 Tudor Ciocarlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jo-waltons-rec
If urban-fantasy is not your favorite genre, than you'll love this urban-fantasy.
Marlo
Jan 19, 2010 Marlo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gary
Jul 20, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it
I read this book because later in the year I will be attending a workshop at which the author, Steven Brust, is an instructor. As a kind of game, I didn't read the book's summary/blurb. I wanted to let the story engage me on its own merits without knowing what it was about.

It took me a while to put together the clues. Not long, but if I had read "This is a novel about a vampire..." it would have taken away some of the fun of not knowing, of having to piece together the clues, of figuring things
Andrea
A most peculiar book. I'm still not sure what to say about it, and I don't think I can say anything without giving too much away.

Granted, I haven't read many vampire novels, but never in my life did I expect to read one in which the word "vampire" never appears. Or in which the vampires' feedings aren't described in bloody, intricate detail. I wasn't even sure that Jonathan was actually a vampire till more than halfway through. (Perhaps that's just a reflection on my intellect nowadays, or at l
Stefan
Dec 09, 2011 Stefan rated it really liked it
This is one of the toughest reviews I have ever written as most anything you say about the book will give much of the surprise away. That being said, the best advice I can give about this book is that the less know about it the more you will enjoy it.

Agyar is told from a first person perspective, chiefly in the form of the main character sitting in the attic and typing his thoughts on an old typewriter. The pacing was a little slow at times and some of the conversations were difficult to follow
Loopy
Jun 20, 2007 Loopy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Vampire Fans
This book is a must-read for all Vampire players and for most folks who like Vampire fiction in general. Written in the first-person perspective with the vampire as a protagonist, Agyar manages to be as compelling and sensual as the Anne Rice novels, but with far fewer "filler" paragraphs.

The vampirism is portrayed subtly, and I find that it gives this book a much classier air than your average Vampire story. Steven Brust is a phenomenal writer and uses a lot of short, witty language that inclu
Jenn
May 02, 2011 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi,
I know this is not part of his regular series and it is a far cry from Brust's normal story, but I loved it! I was at a sci fi convention that he was doing a book signing. Of course I did not have my books with me and I could not get to them. He had just put this one out, so I bought it there and had him sign it. I went home and read it in one sitting. I just could not put it down.
I know that this book gets very little attention, but it deserves way more. Read this book! Even if you are not a
cEe beE
Jul 23, 2013 cEe beE rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of traditional vampire stories
Recommended to cEe beE by: Sherwood Smith
That was well done. Thank you Sherwood Smith for recommending this a long time ago.
A longer review to follow. Maybe.
Chy
Jan 16, 2009 Chy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Quick! Gut reaction: Whoa. Brust wrote a vampire novel.

Short Summation

Without using the word “vampire” once, or describing any of the regular vampire activities, we have a story written by a vampire. It’s kind of like a diary, which Agyar writes on this old typewriter he finds in the attic of this old house he’s currently occupying.

Agyar is just trying to live, you know, setting up a regular thrall and trying to figure out what the woman who made him a vampire is using him for, now. He’d reall
Alice Lee
Mar 15, 2010 Alice Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy, fiction
My feelings about this book was very mixed throughout, and how I felt about Jack kept wavering between amusement/neutral and disgust.

Anyway. This book was very heartily recommended to me by someone whose opinion I value. You'll love it, he said. Well, "love" is a strong word. Let's just say I have some feelings about it.

Few points. First, the writing is so much better than I anticipated. This is my introduction to Brust, as in the first complete novel I read by him, but my cursory glance at his
Jamie
May 23, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, this is a vampire book. See, that's something I didn't know going in. I have so many books on my "to read" list that I never remember why I added a book, and I purposely do not read the book jacket before reading (if I had, I'd have known this was a vampire book). I like the whole story to be a surprise, like a literary Christmas.

Anyway, I think it helps to know that this is a vampire book before going in. I began reading it, and initially I was only able to read a chapter a day. This
Nicolas
Agyar, c’est avant tout un jeu de pistes dans les rues obscures d’une grande ville. C’est le récit des virées nocturnes d’un dénommé Agyar, victime de la mode, séducteur émérite, mais aussi squatteur d’une maison en ruine. Je l’ai toujours dit, je n’ai qu’une connaissance très partielle de la littérature générale. Les plus cultivés ne m’en voudront, je l’espère, pas si je dis des âneries. Mais il me semble que l’écriture de ce roman est très moderne ou, tout au moins, ressemble beaucoup à la lit ...more
Claire
Jan 12, 2011 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris
Oct 21, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
For some reason it took forever for me to read this book. I think it was the prologue. The prologue seemed to, well, kind of suck. I read the prologue and couldn't bring myself to read something that looked like it would be that pretentious and gloomy and all the rest. So THIS time when I sat down to read it I skipped to prologue and it went much better. Much better. The prologue had me forgetting how much I enjoy Brust's work, in all of its incarnations.

The book is about a creature of the nigh
Dorothy
Jul 28, 2015 Dorothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, quick read. It was a little strange for me, because while I constantly found myself bothered by Agyar (the character, not the book itself), he was also constantly interesting enough to keep me reading.

It's pretty refreshing to have a vampire main character who is an unapologetic asshole with no whining or angst. He had his sympathetic moments, although the asshole moments were frequent enough that I wasn't sure if I would cheer or cringe if something horrible happened to him.

The story
Knittingprimate
Aug 04, 2014 Knittingprimate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
3 stars - but close to 4. I went with 3 because i felt there was some problematic misogyny in the book that was delivered as a given rather than something to be critical of. I think this was by virtue of the style of narration, but still left me unsettled. Agyar is pretty much a bad person (vampire) but sometimes the prose tries to make him sympathetic beyond what seemed appropriate.

That said, it was interesting and compelling. I really enjoyed how you, as the audience, are really left in the da
V. Greene
Aug 24, 2009 V. Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The moment I moved from contented reader to delighted reader was the narrator's discussion of zombies with his best friend. "Not sure I believe in zombies" -- says the ghost to the vampire. After all, neither of them has ever seen one. On the other hand, very few people have seen Jim, and nobody sees Agyar for what he is. It's a funny moment, and yet there's this metaphysical tip, since if we don't believe in these supernatural creatures, and they don't believe in zombies, just how far does this ...more
Chris
Jun 30, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very different vampire story.
most reviews make a big deal about the fact that the word "vampire" is never used - which I took to mean that it's only hinted at that the protagonist (NOT the hero. just...the protagonist. I think this character fits the "anti-hero" definition far better than most to which it is applied) is a vampire. that's not the case at all - it's simply that, from the perspective of the protagonist his vampiric nature is as natural as anything else. it's just not worth mentio
Nick Fagerlund
Jun 30, 2008 Nick Fagerlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find myself in a bind w/r/t explaining what made this book so good, as part of it has to do with some formal tricks and slow revelations which are delicate and easy to spoil. (If you’re seeing this on Goodreads, don’t click through to the book’s page and risk seeing a summary — I enjoyed it greatly despite having been spoiled, but trust me on this one.)

At any rate, this is the story of a very bad person trying — perhaps futilely — to become something else. It’s a thing that’s been done before,
Miramira Endevall
I'm not writing my review until Morgan reads it. I think she'll like it more than I did, for many of the same reasons that she likes Deerskin more than I did.
Lync Lync
Dec 21, 2015 Lync Lync rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your usual Vampire novel. Not once was the word vampire used. Humorous, Romantic, and very dark. Like all good endings, it is a complete surprise.
  • Thorn (Dracula Series, #4)
  • The Golden
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • Enter, Night
  • The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life
  • Eternal Vigilance (Eternal Vigilance #1)
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Dracula Unbound
  • The Course of the Heart
  • Blood Prophecy
  • The Hashish Man and Other Stories
  • Galveston (Resurrection Man, #3)
  • The Demon and the City (Detective Inspector Chen, #2)
  • Children of the Night
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • The Dazzle of Day
Steven Karl Zoltán Brust (born November 23, 1955) is an American fantasy and science fiction author of Hungarian descent. He was a member of the writers' group The Scribblies, which included Emma Bull, Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Nate Bucklin, Kara Dalkey, and Patricia Wrede, and also belongs to the Pre-Joycean Fellowship.

(Photo by David Dyer-Bennet)
More about Steven Brust...

“Does it really matter what you feel when you do something? Does it somehow make a difference if you're sorry when you go blasting your way over someone's life like a locomotive over a papier-mâché doll” 5 likes
“...As we locked the front door behind us, she said, "How do you keep getting in without my knowing it? Did Jill give you a key without mentioning it to me?"
"Trade secret," I said.
"What trade is that? Cat burglar?"
"Yes, although I prefer the technical term."
"What's that?"