Start by marking “Confessions of an Irish Rebel” as Want to Read:
Confessions of an Irish Rebel

Confessions of an Irish Rebel

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The immigration man read my deportation order, looked at it and handed it back to me. 'Are you Irish?' he asked me.

'No' I said 'as a matter of fact, I'm Yemenite Arab.'

Two detectives came forward who were evidently there to meet me. 'Apparently he is Brendan Behan,' they said.

The immigration officer shook my hand and his hard face softened. 'Cead mile failte romhat abhaile
Published February 27th 1994 by Arrow (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of an Irish Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of an Irish Rebel

Tim
more like 4.5 stars, honestly. and then only because it's being compared to Borstal Boy. This second memoir is also incredible, just a few things I wasn't too keen on about it, but overall fantastic. more name-droppy than Borstal Boy but if I drank with samuel beckett i'd probably name drop him too...

Benny
One of my favorites, was my introduction to Behan. I devoured it in a night and acquired Borstal Boy the next day.

It reads like you were listening to Behan reminisce over a pint of porter; a quality I found absolutely enthralling.

My words cannot do justice to this gem of a book

Ian
This was my first Brendan Behan book, and definately not my last. I am eager to check out Borstal Boy asap! Behan's humor is classic, even through tough times in his life. It's important to read the forward in this book to understand why it jumps around so much.
Paul
Follow up to Borstal Boy is entertaining, but tends to wander at times. The anecdotes are often very funny, and the dialogue again is strong. Ends quite suddenly, and I felt that there could have been more detail on his writing career.
China Bialos
Never again will I neglect the opportunity to throw an insult like "you poxy-faced bastard of a whore's melt." The narration does jump around a bit, but it's entertaining and reads exactly as I imagine he spoke.
Patrick O'Mahony
Brilliant writing from Brendan Behan, autobiographical, hilarious in parts. The man was a walking metaphor for all that is/was Irish.
Meghan
Fell in LOVE with Behan while touring the Dublin Writer's Museum. Can't wait to read this book.
Jeremy
This is the second half of Behan's Autobio. I think much funnier than Borstal Boy
Graham Wright
I read this before I read Borstal Boy, and to be honest, I enjoyed it more.
Nicky
Kind of meh, unfortunately.
Maureen Brookbanks
Maureen Brookbanks marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Cindy Hoose
Cindy Hoose marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Sparks Lowry
Sparks Lowry marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Michael Fannon
Michael Fannon marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Jan C
Jan C marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
John
John added it
Jul 21, 2015
Yara
Yara marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Elanna
Elanna marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
  • O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
  • Those Are Real Bullets: Bloody Sunday, Derry, 1972
  • Danny Boy: The Legend of the Beloved Irish Ballad
  • Ten Men Dead: The Story of the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike
Brendan Francis Behan (Irish: Breandán Ó Beacháin) (9 February 1923 – 20 March 1964) was an Irish poet, short story writer, novelist, and playwright who wrote in both Irish and English. He was also an Irish republican and a volunteer in the Irish Republican Army.

Behan was born in the inner city of Dublin on 9 February 1923 into an educated working class family. He lived in a house on Russell Stree
More about Brendan Behan...
Borstal Boy The Complete Plays: The Hostage / The Quare Fellow / Richard's Cork Leg The Quare Fellow The Hostage Brendan Behan's New York