Start by marking “Broken Glass” as Want to Read:
Broken Glass

Broken Glass

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Set in Brooklyn, this gripping mystery begins when attractive, level-headed Sylvia Gellburg suddenly loses her ability to walk. The only clue to her mysterious ailment lies in her obsession with news accounts from Germany.
Published March 1st 1995 by Penguin Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Glass

Angels in America by Tony KushnerAugust by Tracy LettsArcadia by Tom StoppardThe Pillowman by Martin McDonaghThe History Boys by Alan Bennett
Best Plays Since 1990
79th out of 129 books — 89 voters
Cinderella by Walt Disney CompanyAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Glass Menagerie by Tennessee WilliamsThe Crystal Cave by Mary StewartThe Glass Key by Dashiell Hammett
Crystal Clear
45th out of 49 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

D / wayward cloud
"I have this unconventional approach to illness," the doctor explains at one point. "I believe we get sick in twos and threes and fours, not alone as individuals."

Se nota que es una obra tardía de Miller: por fin hace decir a uno de sus protagonistas que es socialista. Desde John Proctor lo sabíamos, pero que el Dr. Hyman lo diga deja en claro el contexto histórico de producción de esta obra.

Todos los tópicos que estaban más o menos ocultos en sus obras de los '40-'60 se manifiestan: la respo
Second time reading this for my English exam. Storyline was slow and only liked Sylvia as I felt sorry for her.
Powerful psychological study of Jewishness, Nazism and paralysis.
Patrik Hallberg
Broken Glass is connected to the "Crystal Night" the name that's been given to the night of 9-10 November 1938. In almost all large German cities and some smaller ones that night, store windows of Jewish shops were broken, Jewish houses and apartments were destroyed, and synagogues were demolished and set on fire. Many Jews were arrested, some were beaten, and some were even killed.

It's a story about a Jewish couple Sylvia and Phillip in New York. Sylvia is somehow affected by what's happening
Merve  Özcan
Nedenini bilmiyorum ancak bu oyundan oldukça hoşlandım. Karakterlerin soğukluğu, Hymen'in tavırları... Büyük ihtimalle kadının çok acı çekiyor oluşundan kaynaklı.:D
Dave Logghe
Miller was so perfect at creating a human crescendo; slow, seemingly aimless action that builds and builds to a beautifully written breaking point.
Read for a class, very interesting read through! Highly recommend for those WWII buffs, specifically on the Holocaust.
Phillip and Sylvia Gellburg, a Jewish couple living in New York, Sylvia suddenly becomes partially paralysed after reading about the events of Kristallnacht in the newspaper. Dr. Hyman believes that it’s psychosomatic. Throughout the play, Dr. Hyman learns more about the problems that Sylvia is having in her personal life, particularly in her marriage. After an argument with his boss, Philip suffers a heart attack and is dying at his home. Phillip and Sylvia confront each other about their feeli ...more
Very good story written like a play... Arthur Miller
Julia G
Moving and intriguing
Wow... Just wow!
Ke Huang
The story reminds me of some of the dynamics in my own family. It makes me think that there is a lot writing that is to recover from a trauma.

The story is all about Phil's change. He has to recognize that he has to change. The doctor must be like Arthur Miller. There are nice things about what characters say (e.g. Opera, that everyone finds that they're a David & Goliath).

The company man is too similar to the one from Death of a Salesman.
I know I'm too old to be saying this, but I've just discovered Arthur Miller. What a wonderful writer! This story is set just before the USA's involvement in WWII, and is what I believe is one of the early explorations of how real life events can affect one psychologically. It is such a period piece and so perfectly written -- for anyone who wants to know more about the popular culture of this period, this is a "must read".
"Broken Glass" refers to frequent 1939 U.S. news reports of Nazi human rights abuses against Jews. Fear dominates American Jewish households. American Jews obsessed with being Jewish.

If you like reading Arthur Miller plays, this is a good one. Social justice issues in 2013 have not changed in 70 years. How we express our outrage at injustice has changed from Miller's expression of it.
Regrettably, I'm finding out that once you get past the four Miller "greats" (Death of a Salesman, The Crucible, View from the Bridge, and All My Sons), there's not a whole lot of good material left. The idea of Jewish shame and/or Jewish fear is an idea that deserves a better play than this. Characters are superficial, plot development is lazy.
Complex read. I studied the book as part of my AS english literature exam novel and didn't particularly enjoy it on first read when being forced to. However, reading again for my own pleasure i was captivated by the themes and te characters and the restrictions of society.
A bit melodramatic. Not my favourite, but an okay read. Holocaust and psychology, sexual frusteration, love. but all spun into a slightly over-the-top plot that doesn't match up to death of a salesman.
Hank Lin
I love how Miller's preoccupation throughout many of his works is the nature of infidelity and betrayal in marriage. It's not enough to fill a play, though.
Jan 24, 2009 Angiegaz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angiegaz by: Assigned reading for a college class.
Shelves: don-t-bother
While I appreciated Miller's attempt to give us a closer look at the lives of Holocaust survivors, this play falls flat. Not his best work.
Dec 29, 2007 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
One of my all-time favorite plays/stories... my favorite Arthur Miller work.
Mehran Mortezaei
I read it for the third time, and I loved it even more.
Hope I get to see it performed someday.
Grace marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Matt marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Callum Young
Callum Young marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Maeve marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Nadia marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
  • Where You'll Find Me: And Other Stories
  • The Shutter of Snow
  • The Mountaintop
  • The Caretaker
  • Superior Donuts (TCG Edition)
  • Desire Under the Elms
  • The Cocktail Party
  • The Fervent Years: The Group Theatre and the 30's
  • 'Art'
Arthur Asher Miller was an American playwright and essayist. He was a prominent figure in American literature and cinema for over 61 years, writing a wide variety of plays, including celebrated plays such as The Crucible, A View from the Bridge, All My Sons, and Death of a Salesman, which are still studied and performed worldwide. Miller was often in the public eye, most famously for refusing to g ...more
More about Arthur Miller...