Start by marking “A Room With a Zoo” as Want to Read:
A Room With a Zoo

A Room With a Zoo

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In his first middle-grade novel in a decade, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Feiffer tells a story of his nine-year-old daughter, Julie, who loves animals so much shes putting together a zoo of living creatures in her room. Illustrations.
Published September 15th 2005 by Michael Di Capua Books

Nora
Jul 18, 2010 Nora rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2nd-4th grade girls
Recommended to Nora by: a 2nd grade girl
Told in a realistic but sometimes taxing stream-of-consciousness of a fourth grader. She continues to gain pets from her indulgent parents and ends up with a zoo in her room, creating lots of excitement.

My animal-crazed girls will like this book. I laughed at some adult humor, so maybe it would be a good read-aloud for 2nd- 4th grades.
Michael
My love of A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears and The Man in the Ceiling is such that I doubt Feiffer could have done anything but disappoint.

Yet even with that caveat, there is something about this book that feels smaller than its conceit. The story is a first-person tale of Julie and her many pets, clearly the adopted child of Jules Feiffer. Julie is a classic comic narrator, one who understands less than does the reader, and so we laugh at her fumbled attempts to fix things. Mostly this wor
Chris Fow Cohen
Adorable look into the mind of a child, though the honest and loving eyes of her father. Anyone who remembered their own childhood will sympathize with Julie and her childhood ups and downs, as real as anything adults experience -- and sometimes even more intense. I adore Jules, and now I adore Julie, too.
Carissa
if you loved animals as a kid (or if you still do) then you will relate well to this story of a young girl (the author’s daughter) who acquires more and more pets throughout this rollicking tale. all she really wants is a dog, but her mother doesn’t like dogs and her father isn’t sure she’s old enough to take care of a dog, so they get her a cat. and then a hamster. and then a fish. and then a turtle. and then another cat. feiffer does an excellent job of telling the story through his daughter’s ...more
Jacob Hartog
This memoir/novel from the perspective of Jules's adopted African-American daughter, about her love of animals and the many that come to live in their small Upper-West Side apartment, feels like a modest, urban answer to Gerald Durrell's classic My Family and Other Animals. Like that book, Feiffer's story is told with the mixture of love and clear-eyed humor that marks the best family stories, in which both our human and non-human family members can drive us utterly crazy. A treat to read with m ...more
Michline Fiordelisi
Cute story but took awhile for the plot to thicken.
Michelle
This book is written by Jules from the point of view of his adopted daughter. He has captured the mind and language of the young narrator and the result is story filled with anger, sadness, hilarity and joy--sometimes side-by-side! I'd say it's a great book for the 9-12 year-old reader or the advanced 7-9 year old. Although I laughed out loud when I read it myself. I'm currently reading aloud to my 1-4th grade class and they love it.
anthony e.
Okay. Cute, mostly, with a lot of insight into Feiffer's family dynamic. I realize its a children's book, but it seems to struggle for a reason to exist other than, well, for Jukes Feiffer to write about his family. Yawn.
Michelle
I think this book is very funny becuase she buys alot of pets some die and some live,the character that I like most is Hammy he is very small and very cut to I wish I couldhave him.
Mckenzie 11-12
I liked the book because it showed that if you collect a bunch of animals you never know that it could become a zoo! But from a scale from a 1 to a 10 I give it a TEN!!
Susan
Brandy
Funny, and a great voice throughout. I'd have loved this if I were 10 or a huge animal lover (not to imply I kick puppies or anything; I don't).
Cheryl
Adorable, even if I didn't agree with the reasoning behind the choice made at the end. Apparently it's more or less a true story, too.
Rachel
Jul 07, 2008 Rachel added it
Really good! About a girl who loves animals and keeps getting more and more, until things sort of get out of hand.
Dionne
For every person/child (including me) who has ever wanted a dog but had to wait patiently to get one.
Kirsten
if you try hard enough you can get some of your favorite pets
Jocelyn
This is a good book because it is about a girl and her animals.
Kristi
Read this out loud to my daughter. Some very funny scenes.
Beth Shields-Szostak
Jun 22, 2010 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read
Shelves: signed
1st edition, signed & inscribed by author
Lara
a good quick read while at the gym
Jenny
GREAT BOOK !!!!!!!!!!!
Caroline
AWESOMEEEEE
Sheri
Funny and so real!
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jules Feiffer is the acclaimed author-illustrator of several books for children, including BARK, GEORGE; MEANWHILE . . .; and I LOST MY BEAR; and the illustrator of THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH, by Norton Juster. Jules Feiffer is also a renowned editorial cartoonist, playwright, novelist, and screenwriter. He has been the recipient of an Academy Award, a Pulitzer Prize, a London Theatre Critics Award, an ...more
More about Jules Feiffer...
Bark, George A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears The Man in the Ceiling Kill My Mother: A Graphic Novel Rupert Can Dance