The Daddy Mountain

The Daddy Mountain

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Before your very eyes, this little redhead is about to do something extremely daring. And scary. And she'll show you-she'll actually document, step-by-step-exactly how she does it. First, she takes her Daddy and makes him stand very still. Then, balancing herself on his shoe, she wraps her arms tightly around a leg and starts her perilous ascent to the summit. Thrills and...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Hyperion Books for Children

Russell
Cute book, but suffers from a number of flaws. The guide to the top of the mountain focuses far too much on potential pitfalls, and not enough on practical methodologies for successfully reaching the summit. Less attention to catastrophes, more useful information please. And this daddy character is virtually a cardboard cutout, with hardly any character development. After having his ear yanked on and hair pulled, we get one line out of him. I'd like to learn more about this daddy.
E.  Talamante
We had been calling our daughter's father Daddy Mountain (after the Charlie the Unicorn web-vid, Candy Mountain), so how stoked were we to find a book by the same name? So stoked!!

A cute story of a little girl using her daddy as a climbing apparatus, reminding herself all the time to be careful and be brave. An adorable story for daddies and daughters to read together. Highly recommended!
Graziella
Most children's books featuring a daddy figure involved in their kids' lives are way too cloying and sappy for my taste. This one was truly marvelous and the perfect father's day gift: Dad as inadvertent but loving jungle gym. Said it all.
Kristina Silverbears
A lovely little journey one girl takes and describes to her audience. I know that the next time I am in a crowd full of fathers carrying children, that I will think of this book.
Ruhama
A little girl tells us from page one that she’s going on a very big quest: to climb the Daddy mountain. Page by page she gives readers instructions on the best way to approach and execute such a climb, including little tips such as “The Daddy mountain must wear a shirt.
Because if you grab hold of his skin, he’ll get mad.” The illustrations are sparse, but perfect for this tale. The Daddy mountain is done in charcoal until the last page, so he looks unmovable. The little girl has great facial exp...more
Victoria
I think this is an awesome book for children which is no surprise why it won Children's Choice. I think it's adorable how she explains step by step how she is going to climb daddy mountain. This brought back memories of me doing this when I was little, and I'm sure it did the same for other people. This is such a great book also because the readers can relate to it. It's funny but yet so true for many people. The illustrations are awesome! I love how just daddy's legs are shown and it really sho...more
Lindsay
This is such a cute story!!! In this story, a little girl pretends that her dad is a mountain and climbs him. It's so simple, but kids and parents alike seemed to really like it at the Father's Day-themed bilingual story time program. I will definitely use it again and would recommend to others as a cute dad story.
Todd
Incredible!!! If you are tall(I am 6'8") and have children, this is a must, a great Fathers Day Gift. It was so fun to read to each of the kids, especially the girls!!! However, I must admit, it does give the children an excuse to try and climb you any time they want.
Alyssa Casto
I can see why this book is in the children's choice category because it is so relatable. This little girl is going on a big adventure to climb up the daddy mountain. Children may think this is funny because they have tried it and can relate to her adventure
Dionne
Just learned about this author, Jules Feiffer, and am really enjoying books by this author. This story is very cute about a girl and her daddy. A cute Father's Day gift or book for a dad to read to his daughter as a bedtime story.
Libby
The Illustrations are unique and simple and it's a cute concept for a book. My 19-mo-old son rarely makes it all the way through, unless I stop and emphasize all the body-parts mentioned and get him to find them on us.
Gretchen
PB 12: The little girl is adorable! Good for young readers, and great surprise page :). Jules Feiffer seems to have a gift for simple drawings, and funny stories that are easily digestable for readers.
Leni
Another great by Jules Feiffer, capturing a scrappy tom-boy at her riskiest attempt at heights--Daddy's shoulders.
Straight-forward and fun, with a surprise ending.
Keegan
A little kid climbing up dad. Overly dramatic, so that made it fun. Plus, kids do that, so that was fun too. I didn't love the illustrations, but the idea was good.
Sara
So cute - my sister got this for my toddler and it really is reminiscent of how she climbs on her dad like a monkey all the time.
Jen
Jul 19, 2008 Jen added it
Shelves: edn-344-books
A fun story about a girl playing with her father. Some predictable text in the book to help early readers. (Choice)
Lyla
i'm always looking for "Dad" themed books that are good. This one is decent but i'm not in love with it.
Tricia
cool story of girl climbing up her dad. has pull out page that makes dad taller. cute pictures.
Taryn
I love the story, I love the wit, I love the writing, I love the illustrations. So fun.
Ruth
Absolutely adorable picture book about a little girl climbing her daddy.
Katie
My 3 year old loves this book. Even my older kids enjoy it. Great idea.
Michael
via NYPL - Clever and cute, well illustrated.
Lindsay
fathers/father's day

short
Grace
Grace added it
Jul 02, 2014
Surbhi Paul
Surbhi Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jules Feiffer is the acclaimed author-illustrator of several books for children, including BARK, GEORGE; MEANWHILE . . .; and I LOST MY BEAR; and the illustrator of THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH, by Norton Juster. Jules Feiffer is also a renowned editorial cartoonist, playwright, novelist, and screenwriter. He has been the recipient of an Academy Award, a Pulitzer Prize, a London Theatre Critics Award, an...more
More about Jules Feiffer...
Bark, George A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears The Man in the Ceiling I Lost My Bear Meanwhile...