Start by marking “The Daddy Mountain” as Want to Read:
The Daddy Mountain

The Daddy Mountain

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Before your very eyes, this little redhead is about to do something extremely daring. And scary. And she'll show you-she'll actually document, step-by-step-exactly how she does it. First, she takes her Daddy and makes him stand very still. Then, balancing herself on his shoe, she wraps her arms tightly around a leg and starts her perilous ascent to the summit. Thrills and ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Hyperion Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about The Daddy Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daddy Mountain

Dec 30, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I had fun reading this to my niece and nephew today. It was even more fun when I became an auntie mountain.
Russell
Jun 12, 2014 Russell rated it liked it
Cute book, but suffers from a number of flaws. The guide to the top of the mountain focuses far too much on potential pitfalls, and not enough on practical methodologies for successfully reaching the summit. Less attention to catastrophes, more useful information please. And this daddy character is virtually a cardboard cutout, with hardly any character development. After having his ear yanked on and hair pulled, we get one line out of him. I'd like to learn more about this daddy.
Erma Talamante
Mar 24, 2014 Erma Talamante rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s
We had been calling our daughter's father Daddy Mountain (after the Charlie the Unicorn web-vid, Candy Mountain), so how stoked were we to find a book by the same name? So stoked!!

A cute story of a little girl using her daddy as a climbing apparatus, reminding herself all the time to be careful and be brave. An adorable story for daddies and daughters to read together. Highly recommended!
Graziella
Jul 06, 2014 Graziella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-mom-shelf
Most children's books featuring a daddy figure involved in their kids' lives are way too cloying and sappy for my taste. This one was truly marvelous and the perfect father's day gift: Dad as inadvertent but loving jungle gym. Said it all.
Jessica Vopat
Feb 04, 2016 Jessica Vopat rated it it was amazing
This book is told from a child's perspective and my children loved reading it, it has some great fold outs and the story is endearing. My children liked to read this book with their father.
Emma
May 25, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing
My family loves this book!!! We lost it and can't seem to buy another copy anywhere. We are devastated!!! If you can get your hands on a copy buy it!!! It is soooo sweet :)
Kristina Silverbears
May 28, 2014 Kristina Silverbears rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies
A lovely little journey one girl takes and describes to her audience. I know that the next time I am in a crowd full of fathers carrying children, that I will think of this book.
Ruhama
Jun 11, 2009 Ruhama rated it it was amazing
A little girl tells us from page one that she’s going on a very big quest: to climb the Daddy mountain. Page by page she gives readers instructions on the best way to approach and execute such a climb, including little tips such as “The Daddy mountain must wear a shirt.
Because if you grab hold of his skin, he’ll get mad.” The illustrations are sparse, but perfect for this tale. The Daddy mountain is done in charcoal until the last page, so he looks unmovable. The little girl has great facial exp
Victoria
Oct 17, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
I think this is an awesome book for children which is no surprise why it won Children's Choice. I think it's adorable how she explains step by step how she is going to climb daddy mountain. This brought back memories of me doing this when I was little, and I'm sure it did the same for other people. This is such a great book also because the readers can relate to it. It's funny but yet so true for many people. The illustrations are awesome! I love how just daddy's legs are shown and it really sho ...more
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute story!!! In this story, a little girl pretends that her dad is a mountain and climbs him. It's so simple, but kids and parents alike seemed to really like it at the Father's Day-themed bilingual story time program. I will definitely use it again and would recommend to others as a cute dad story.
Todd
May 03, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
Incredible!!! If you are tall(I am 6'8") and have children, this is a must, a great Fathers Day Gift. It was so fun to read to each of the kids, especially the girls!!! However, I must admit, it does give the children an excuse to try and climb you any time they want.
Alyssa Casto
I can see why this book is in the children's choice category because it is so relatable. This little girl is going on a big adventure to climb up the daddy mountain. Children may think this is funny because they have tried it and can relate to her adventure
Dionne
Jul 03, 2012 Dionne rated it it was amazing
Just learned about this author, Jules Feiffer, and am really enjoying books by this author. This story is very cute about a girl and her daddy. A cute Father's Day gift or book for a dad to read to his daughter as a bedtime story.
Libby
Apr 06, 2010 Libby rated it really liked it
The Illustrations are unique and simple and it's a cute concept for a book. My 19-mo-old son rarely makes it all the way through, unless I stop and emphasize all the body-parts mentioned and get him to find them on us.
Gretchen
Oct 05, 2012 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
PB 12: The little girl is adorable! Good for young readers, and great surprise page :). Jules Feiffer seems to have a gift for simple drawings, and funny stories that are easily digestable for readers.
Leni
Dec 23, 2010 Leni rated it it was amazing
Another great by Jules Feiffer, capturing a scrappy tom-boy at her riskiest attempt at heights--Daddy's shoulders.
Straight-forward and fun, with a surprise ending.
Keegan
Jun 13, 2009 Keegan rated it liked it
Shelves: pic-book-dads
A little kid climbing up dad. Overly dramatic, so that made it fun. Plus, kids do that, so that was fun too. I didn't love the illustrations, but the idea was good.
Sara
Feb 26, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks
So cute - my sister got this for my toddler and it really is reminiscent of how she climbs on her dad like a monkey all the time.
Jen
Jul 19, 2008 Jen added it
Shelves: edn-344-books
A fun story about a girl playing with her father. Some predictable text in the book to help early readers. (Choice)
Tricia
Jun 25, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it
cool story of girl climbing up her dad. has pull out page that makes dad taller. cute pictures.
Taryn
Mar 20, 2012 Taryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love the story, I love the wit, I love the writing, I love the illustrations. So fun.
Ruth
Sep 16, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, childrens-books
Absolutely adorable picture book about a little girl climbing her daddy.
Katie
Mar 23, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
My 3 year old loves this book. Even my older kids enjoy it. Great idea.
Michael
May 30, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
via NYPL - Clever and cute, well illustrated.
Lindsay
May 28, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
fathers/father's day

short
Hannah
Feb 03, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
I did this when I was little.
Katra
Katra rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Villain E
Villain E rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
  • Hungry Hen
  • The Frogs and Toads All Sang
  • Sidewalk Circus
  • I Love It When You Smile
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Lola Loves Stories
  • The Little Red Hen
  • The Three Little Pigs Book & CD
  • Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly
  • Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep
Jules Feiffer is the acclaimed author-illustrator of several books for children, including BARK, GEORGE; MEANWHILE . . .; and I LOST MY BEAR; and the illustrator of THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH, by Norton Juster. Jules Feiffer is also a renowned editorial cartoonist, playwright, novelist, and screenwriter. He has been the recipient of an Academy Award, a Pulitzer Prize, a London Theatre Critics Award, an ...more
More about Jules Feiffer...