Start by marking “The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1)” as Want to Read:
The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1)

The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage (Bantam) #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,620 ratings  ·  85 reviews
(back cover notes)
High above the skyscrapers of New York, Doc Savage engages in deadly combat with the red-fingered survivors of an ancient, lost civilization. Then, with his amazing crew, he journeys to the mysterious "lost valley" to search for a fabulous treasure and to destroy the mysterious Red Death.
Published 1975 by Golden Press (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Man of Bronze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man of Bronze

Monk
Five nostalgic stars. My brother bequeathed 12 of the paperbacks to me when he left home for college. I was 9 or 10. I read them all and started collecting, in part because Doc was cooler than cool, and in part because I could score them for 50 cents a piece at Bonanza Books and Comics in my hometown. I have over a hundred on the book case now, and have probably read 40 of them (they are formulaic, so if you read too many in a row, they start running together.). I still take down one each year a ...more
Karla
3.5 to 4 stars

Sort of vacillating here between 3.5 and 4 because there were many parts that were really fun and cool in a "I feel like a 10-year old boy in 1933!" way, but there were other parts that made me roll my eyes at the bad, slapdash writing. Then I had to bitch slap my brain and remind myself that literary perfection was not the goal of the pulps. Still, that stylistic nitpick within couldn't be permanently smothered by Doc's brawny, bronzy, ripply muscles.

I'd only ever seen the Ron Ely
Aaron
Doc Savage, supreme adventurer, and his five science bros have their first of many exploits. Beginning with an attempt on Doc's life, the gang flies from New York City to an ancient hidden city in Central America as Doc traces his legacy left to him by his father.

My first Doc Savage pulp was a quick read and definitely worth the short time it took to tear through it. Savage is given his mission and his resources in this first story, effectively making it an origin story while still focusing on t
J.G. Keely
Feb 15, 2009 J.G. Keely rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to J.G. by: Ama's Father
While not quite a superhero, Doc Savage is as heroic and capable as a man could be. Savage was meant to combine the physical prowess of an athlete with the mind of Holmes and the conscience of Lincoln. He was the antithesis of The Shadow, bright instead of dark, merciful instead of brutal, and world-famous instead of mythical.

If The Shadow's masked alleyway justice was the prototype for Batman, then Savage is the righteous boy scout is the inspiration for Superman. Savage even has an antarctic i
Mary JL
Dec 27, 2008 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes adventure stories or pulps
Recommended to Mary JL by: no one
Shelves: action-adventure
I discovered Doc Savage when I was 14 years of age and read him avidly for about three or four years. They are replints of the Doc Savage pulp magazine--The Man of Bronze was originally printed in 1933.

If you have ever read any pulp magazines you know what to expect--slam bang adventure, hack writing and little character development.

However, the orignal Doc Savage Magazine ran from 1933 to 1949--16 years. It captured it readers by being exciting adventure and nothing more.

Super-scientist 'Doc "
Russell Grant
I wish I had the hard cover, I got a stinky paperback version from a used book store.

I'm not going to lie, this book was in many ways completely retarded. I mean, I can buy into a guy being super smart and super strong due to 2 hours of strenuous mental and physical exercises undertaken every day since he was a child. To be so perfect that rain glides off his skin and hair, not unlike off the feathers of a duck? Come on! There's no way!

So I should of hated this... but it was still really quite g
Larry Moniz
I read virtually all the Doc Savage series when they were reprinted in the 1970. Masterpieces of the pulp fiction genre.
Mike
With this book, i revisited a bit of my childhood. The danger, of course, is that you can't go home again and in the case of Doc Savage, it is partially true. The writing style here is juvenile and at times, hard to read for it's pure awkwardness. But the plot is highly imaginative which was the reason, even as a kid, I kept coming back to this well time after time to drink in more of Doc's adventures. I'm not sorry that I re-read this book after so many years, and I will probably partake of ano ...more
Rick
This one started it all. I read about 20 of the series as a kid and even had a family dog named Doc in honor of Doc Savage. Pulp and brainless, but the perfect antidote when the need to read is there and not in the mood for 1000 page complexity.
Tyrone
Sep 19, 2013 Tyrone rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of pulp fiction...
I've been wanting to read this for a very long time. Right back from when i discovered and loved the the 1975 movie Doc Savage:The Man of Bronze starring Ron Ely, the star of the Tarzan TV series from the late 60's, which i also loved. I guess because of that and because i was only 7 years old its unsurprising i loved the Doc Savage film. I guess it's a little more surprising to say i still love the film even recognising it's many faults.

I'm also a fan of Pulp fiction so this was probably going
David Bonesteel
An attempt on the life of Doc Savage—genius, crime-fighter, supreme physical specimen—takes him and his crew of loyal specialists to South America, where they will uncover the secret that Doc’s father has left in the care of the people of a lost civilization.

All criticisms of this book concerning its clunky prose and mechanical construction are entirely beside the point. No one should read a pulp adventure novel expecting anything more than a quick, fun read—and Lester Dent (writing as Kenneth R
Tim Schneider
There are some books that just can't be rated or reviewed objectively. At least not by me. So feel free to take this one with a grain of salt.

On any given Saturday when I was in late grade school and junior high you could at some point find me at the Paperback Bookworm. I'd be looking for SF books. Bradbury. Asimov. Heinlein. Ace doubles. Oh...and Bantam paperbacks of Doc Savage. For fifty cents you got a world of adventure. When all was said and done I had probably half the Bantam reprints.

Charles
You know I wish I liked Doc Savage better. I read one, don't like it much, but when time passes I sort of forget how bad it was and pick up another. But this was one of the worst. It'll be a while before I go back to the "well" again.

the Doc Savage books often have great titles, start off with an interesting villany, and create a certain amount of atomsphere. But they just can't maintain it because the writing is so "ham"-handed and bad. I bet if these books had been written at a slower pace wh
Charl
I read these many, many years ago. My parents had pretty much the entire first run, and I read them all. I enjoyed them immensely.I know now they were formulaic, shallow, and had almost nothing going for them but barely plausible fantastic plots, and lots of slam-bang action. But I wasn't looking for any more than that, and I loved them.

Don't read them looking for deep, meaningful stories. Instead, read them to enjoy the pulp action plots and the outlandish characters.
Tony Calder
This is the first of the Doc Savage paperbacks, which are not new books, rather they are compilations of the serialised Doc Savage stories from the pulps. Doc Savage is one of the archetypal pulp characters. basically better at everything than anyone else, although he does have a crew of above average companions, although none of them are his equal. Doc Savage gains his powers through a regimen of strict training and scientific wizardry (rather like Batman), than through any supernatural powers, ...more
Robin
This is another book that I was given to read by Tom to read. I didn't know much about Doc Savage but I had read about it when I researched graphic novels.

12/30: Just finished this one. It was put aside many times over the past months or so because there were other books that I had to read for teen book award committee or book club meetings but I liked it and would recommend it to anyone in search of an old-fashioned action story.
Angela
The original Doc Savage story had me hooked within the first few pages. This is classic pulp fiction with a flair for drama and daring deeds. Doc is sort of superhero who isn't gifted with any supernatural powers but has honed his strength, intellect, and senses through lifelong training. He is accomplished in many fields yet never seeks the spotlight. Many of the things that the book presents as his inventions--things that were unheard of in the 1930's--have actually been invented since; it was ...more
Clee
A great adventure that cracks along.

On the negative side, some of the phraseology reads as very dated, but imagine that it's an old b&w movie and its sins are forgiven.

Also, read the description of Doc in chapter one; very homoerotic, though unintentionally so I imagine!
Robert
true this book should be terrible. The concept is absurd but not in a good way. But it's pulp, it's meant to be like that. Once you get past that and decide to just enjoy it as it is, it's a fun ride. Take it with a pinch of salt and read it with a wry grin.
Beau Smith
Some of the finest pulp fiction/adventure you'll ever read. Stand the test of time and then some.
Parker
WOW!!!! This is a super adventure packed super heroic dude. Might be better than Batman!
Rick
First of what became 181 original pulp stories. A classic!
Linton
Possibly the worst piece of published fiction I have ever read. It is nearly perfect in its awfulness, ranging from over- to under-written depending on the passage, full of contrivances, conveniences and redundancies and otherwise just plain bad.

While I think Doc Savage is an interesting template for a character (he was used quite well in Alan Moore's Tom Strong, Warren Ellis' Planetary and The Venture Bros.), he's just a mess here. First off, as others pointed out, the guy can do anything, and
Dave
So, I know Doc Savage is a big deal, and that a ton of later characters and heroes count him in their lineage, literarily speaking. But I have to be honest... he's a totally boring character.

A bronze skinned man, combining an improbable physique and an unsurpassed genius, Doc Savage is clearly modeled on the Grecian ideal. Yet he misses the point of what made all the Greek heroes interesting: their tempers always got them into trouble. Doc is unflappable. Nothing ever fazes him. He's not interes
D M
i'm paraphrasing mr. dent who said something like he was not under any illusions about becoming a great author of literature and that what he wrote was reams of sellable crap. i couldn't agree more. this book was crap, but i'm still envious of the 159 of them that he churned out. lets back up.

kenneth robeson was the house name that represented a number of authors who wrote for street & smith publications. lester dent was one of them who wrote the majority of the doc savage novels in the 1930
David B
An attempt on the life of Doc Savage--genius, crime-fighter, supreme physical specimen--takes him and his crew of loyal specialists to South America, where they will uncover the secret that Doc's father has left in the care of the people of a lost civilization.

All criticisms of this book concerning its clunky prose and mechanical construction are entirely beside the point. No one should read a pulp adventure novel expecting anything more than a quick, fun read--and Lester Dent (writing as Kennet
writegeist
You know, there's just something quaint about the old pulps. And while there aren't many of them I read (like Tom Swift or Tom Corbett), I do keep coming back to Doc Savage. If was nice to read through the origins of Doc and his tremendous wealth that enabled him to carry on his war against crime and evil. Sometimes I get so bogged down with reading well-written stories and just need something light and airy to blow the carbon out of my pipes. Doc certainly fits the bill. I'm impressed with the ...more
Norm Davis
Aug 15, 2012 Norm Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 30s-40s era adventure pulp fiction lovers
Recommended to Norm by: My older brother
Doc Savage- Man of Bronze
How delightful. Spoiler alerts near the end…
The Doc Savage (dozens and dozens of) adventures were published in the 30’s and 40’s in pulp fiction magazines. I had the great privilege to devour them when they were re-issued in the 70s as short novels. How my single mother of 4 boys, working double shifts as a waitress, kept me supplied with these novels is a mystery to me, but there’s a “Love of a Mother” story in there somewhere as new issues endlessly came out every fe
William Redd
Doc Savage, the Man of Bronze. A more perfect physical specimen does not exist. He's a Greek god come to life. Not only does he possess a perfect physical form, he is also the most keen mind of his generation, being an expert in every field he has taken the time to study.

Doc is one of the greatest pulp heroes ever, because he has a superior moral code. He is a man of action, but also a thinking man's hero. And he ain't got time for dames, not when there's a world to make better.

The dialogue is r
George Kraft
The beginning of the legend of Clark Savagae, Jr. Actually, I read Dust of Death first back when these paperbacks were originally available on news stands and in drugstores, I don't go back far enough to cover the pulps! This sets up the entire series, covering the source of Doc's wealth, the major gadgets, the 86th floor office, the riverfront hangar and his five friends. It is one of the few that gives everyone a full measure of action and work. Many of the later books concentrate on two of th ...more
Doc Savage to the Rescue! 13 37 Nov 01, 2013 03:10PM
Halloween Freebie 1 11 Oct 31, 2013 08:03AM
  • Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life (Bantam Sf, Q8834)
  • The Living Shadow (The Shadow #1)
  • Union Bust (The Destroyer, #7)
  • Tarzan at the Earth's Core (Tarzan, #13) (Pellucidar, #4)
  • Red Nails
  • The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu
Kenneth Robeson was the house name used by Street and Smith Publications as the author of their popular character Doc Savage and later The Avenger. Many authors wrote under this name, though most Doc Savage stories were written by the author Lester Dent:

William G. Bogart
W. Ryerson Johnson
Will Murray
Ron Goulart

All 2
More about Kenneth Robeson...

Doc Savage (Bantam) (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • The Thousand-Headed Man (Doc Savage #2)
  • Meteor Menace (Doc Savage, #3)
  • Polar Treasure (Doc Savage, #4)
  • Brand of the Werewolf (Doc Savage #5)
  • The Lost Oasis (Doc Savage, #6)
  • The Monsters (Doc Savage, #7)
  • The Land of Terror (Doc Savage, #8)
  • The Mystic Mullah (Doc Savage #9)
  • The Phantom City (Doc Savage, #10)
  • Fear Cay (Doc Savage, #11)
The Land of Terror (Doc Savage, #8) Meteor Menace (Doc Savage, #3) The Sargasso Ogre (Doc Savage, #18) Polar Treasure (Doc Savage, #4) The Lost Oasis (Doc Savage, #6)

“Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.”
8 likes