Start by marking “Baby Signing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Baby Signing for Dummies

Baby Signing for Dummies

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Have you thought about signing with your baby or toddler? Parents and caregivers are discovering the benefits of using American Sign Language (ASL) to communicate with children long before they can speak. Some studies show that signing babies talk sooner, have larger vocabularies, and have fewer tantrums! Baby Signing For Dummies gives you the skills to connect in a meanin ...more
Published April 20th 2011 by For Dummies (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Signing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Signing for Dummies

Rebecca
May 26, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Of this and Baby Sign Language Basics, I think the latter is the better overall guide. Both are acceptable, however.

The Dummies book does actually do a better job of explaining how to physically make many of the signs, which is very helpful for someone who's new to sign language. (Oh, I've been taught the alphabet, which I've repeatedly forgotten, but that's about it.) The other book, however, has far more signs organized in a manner that is more likely to be helpful on the fly. Baby Sign Langua
Canoeu
I got this from the library along with some other baby signing books. This one had, by far, the best selection of signs to teach your baby, at least to start. I wanted everyday words, not 50 different types of animals or fruit and veggies that my daughter was only eating in puree form at the time. I can see where those things would be fun later on, but to start with I wanted some basics which some of the other books seemed to lack.

This book also had the alphabet and colors in it unlike most of t
Berryblndgirl
Jun 24, 2009 Berryblndgirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I thought it was a great introduction to signing with your baby. It covers how and why you should do it and includes pretty detailed illustrations and descriptions for the most common signs a parent would want to teach their child.

I still think it's easier to learn how to sign by watching someone do it than seeing a book illustration, though.

Also, I thought it was unusual that the author recommends starting signing at birth but only starting with 5 or 6 signs. Her logic is tha
Brittany
Jan 05, 2008 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations for hand movements were very clear and easy to follow. I used this book when I worked in Special Education so I could use basic signs to communicate with deaf students. I like the 'Dummies' books because they aren't pushy or confrontational. I also used this book to teach my baby sign language. We did sign religiously until he turned ten months. He never caught on so I gave up. Yes, I'm lazy, and so's my kid so we're just doomed either way.
Jill
Sep 26, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to learn baby sign language for the baby and I liked this book becuse it has lots of pictures and easy for the siblings to pick up the sign language also.
Bianca
Apr 16, 2013 Bianca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-baby
Reminds me of Meet The Fockers. Too funny.
Julia
Good overview of basic signs for baby
Gerri Kreiser
Gerri Kreiser marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Marbear Elizabeth
Marbear Elizabeth is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Beth Mckinlay
Beth Mckinlay marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Febrianti
Febrianti marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Paris
Paris marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Kayla
Kayla added it
Feb 09, 2016
Zaira Ali Khan
Zaira Ali Khan marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Timothy Lee
Timothy Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Rabbitfoot
Rabbitfoot marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
CM85
CM85 added it
Nov 03, 2015
C Johnson
C Johnson marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Kyle
Kyle added it
Jun 22, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Davie
Davie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014