Gradinar

Gradinar

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  781 ratings  ·  42 reviews
1913. The Gardener, a book of prose. Most of the lyrics of love and life, the translations of which from Bengali are published in this book, were written much earlier than the series of religious poems contained in the book name Gitanjali. The verses in this book are far finer and more genuine than even the best in Gitanjali.
Published 2004 by Školska knjiga (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Gradinar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gradinar

Jareed
“It is a game of giving and withholding, revealing and screening
again; some smiles and some little shyness, and some sweet useless struggles.
This love between you and me is simple as a song.

No mystery beyond the present; no striving for the impossible; no
shadow behind the charm; no groping in the depth of the dark.
This love between you and me is simple as a song.

We do not stray out of all words into the ever silent; we do not
raise our hands to the void for things beyond hope.
It is enough wh
Tanja
and still reading...and i will read it for whole my life...
Sridhar
How wonderful and strange to read Tagore in 2013, a full hundred years since his receiving the Nobel Prize in literature. The Gardener is wonderful because Tagore's poetry, ranging from rumination to rhapsody, mixes rural settings and nature so evocatively with his internal world of thoughts and feelings. I particularly liked a few verses on the ephemeral nature of beauty and loss, on growing old, on the connection between human and animal beings, and on what the Earth provides. And reading The...more
Bonny

This is an excellent collection of Indian poetry rich in imagery and allegory. Very fresh and incredibly creative. I will read again.

Here are two I liked:

Baby's World

I wish I could take a quiet corner in the heart of my baby's very
own world.
I know it has stars that talk to him, and a sky that stoops
down to his face to amuse him with its silly clouds and rainbows.
Those who make believe to be dumb, and look as if they never
could move, come creeping to his window with their stories and with
trays cr...more
Vasya
This is just so wonderful. I especially love the translation that was done in Serbian more than that in English, maybe because it's my mother language, but I always feel more when I read in Serbian (there are no Serbian editions on this book, so I had to use this one instead).

The first part between the slave and the queen is so heartbreaking in it's simplicity, and yet so complicated in its complexity, that you are left with two impressions - that you have witnessed something magical and at the...more
Mais
ولكنّ سِحر الرياح التي لا مستقرَّ لها
قد أصابني
لنْ أُلقي بالاً الى قلبي
و كلُّ ما أملكه تركته ورائي.
Ioana
Vino așa cum ești: nu zăbovi gătindu-te.
Dacă-ți sunt cosițele despletite sau nu ți-a ieșit frumos pieptănătura sau panglicile corsetului tău nu-ți sunt bine strânse, nu mai lua seama.
Vino așa cum ești; nu mai zăbovi gătindu-te.

Vino cu pași grăbiți prin iarbă.
De-ar fi să-ți lunece sandalele în rouă, clinchetul zurgălăilor de la gleznele tale să înceteze, iar perlele colanului tău ți s-ar scutura, nu mai lua seama.
Vino cu pași grăbiți prin iarbă.

Vezi tu nourii învăluind cerul?
Cârduri de cocori își
Melinda
Tagore shares with the reader a collection of the most beautiful love poems in The Gardner. Set in the Bengali countryside, Tagore's poems will capture the emotions plunged deepest in your heart. Tagore is your voice for all you've wanted to drip off your tongue but lack the talent to put into words.

Tagore's writing is straightforward, difficult to believe his work is one hundred years old. Amazing and powerful prose that will pluck your heartstrings.
Eva
Saya menyukai syair-syair Tagore dalam buku ini, meski banyak juga yang saya tidak paham, namun secara rima (dalam terjemahan Indonesia) menyenangkan untuk disajakkan dan penggunaan kata-kata indah yang tidak lazim namun enak dibaca sungguh mengangkat apresiasi saya terhadap bahasa Indonesia yang dapat mewakili keindahan syair Tagore.

Perasaan saya pun selama membaca syair Tagore ini sukacita dan mendapat suntikan semangat untuk melakukan pembaruan dalam kehidupan.

Saya ingin mengutip syair terak...more
Juan Bosco
La poesía de Tagore más que leerse en un libro, de principio a fin, poema por poema, es preferible leerla un poema a la vez, escogido al azar y dejar que las palabras que retratan un momento en el tiempo y espacio fluyan con la misma serenidad que las escenas que describen.

No hay conflicto ni pasiones desbordadas, no existe la angustia ni el arrebato, las palabras de Tagore son como una brisa, suaves pero bien definidas. Cada poema muestra un mundo tan en equilibrio que no hay modo en el que los...more
eti
dibanding dengan Gitanyali, saya lebih bisa menikmati buku ini.

salah satunya yang ini, lirik 28 hal. 55,

Matamu yang mengandung tanya itu duka. Ia mencari-cari hendak mengetahui isi hatiku bagai bulan hendak menduga laut.

Telah kusingkapkan hidupku seluruhnya di muka matamu, tak ada lagi yang tersembunyi atau tertahan. Itulah sebabnya mengapa tak kau tahu aku.

Jika hidupku hanya sebuah permata, akan dapat kupecahkan jadi seratus
keping dan kurangkai jadi seutas rantai untuk kukalungkan di lehermu.

Ji...more
Harperac
I thought Gitanjali was good, but this book just blew me away. The romanticism in this book is just refulgent, overflowing.

I wish I had a copy on hand to quote some for you. The subject matter of each poem is usually a concentration and combination of a human subject (usually a beloved, male or female) intense imagery of human settlements (villages, bridges over rivers, markets) and intense nature imagery (flora, fauna, and all the usual things, with a great preponderance of climatic associatio...more
Mallika Soni
I just loved it. Its so beautiful, touching, amazing and so close to my heart. My father does not like Tagore's poetry but this one will surely make him forget everything that he has against Tagore. So must read! Brilliant!
Meghana
Tagore's poetry is always a delight. His poem "Unending Love" is my favourite poem of all time.

In this short 150 page book, Tagore has published 85 short poems. Some run more like couplets, but his characteristic language persists; a couple lines evoke far off scenes and nostalgia, while the next few lines remind you of someone you know.

Each poem is its own microcosmic universe, and I took a while to finish this book because I wanted to savour the beauty of these lines. I really wish I knew Ben...more
Shahdpro
one of the most unexpectedly great books Ive read.
Katsumi
"The Gardener" is a collection of love poems, where the lover compares himself to a gardener and the beloved to his queen. The verses are intricately woven and they explore the depths of love, its anguish as well as the sublime desires. The poems are rich with imagery and allegory. As in many others of Tagore's works, these love poems can be read on many levels, but they are particularly perceptive of our innermost spiritual strivings.
3ppman
Simple, deep - universal in its candor and deeply intrinsical in its mysticism/eroticism. One of the finest books of love poetry I've ever read and, like very other Tagore's work, there is a shade of question that closes a whole world inside which you can't see or experience by your mind or your eyes - you must touch it and hug it with all of your soul, just as Tagore's love hugs every single verse of this book. Astonishing.
Ивана
U suštini ne volim poeziju, ali mi se Gradinar dopao.

Moje srce, ptica divljine, našlo je svoje nebo u
tvojim očima.
One su kolevka jutra, one su carstvo zvezda.
Moje su pesme potonule u dubine njihove.
Pusti me samo da se vinem u to nebo, u njegovo
osamno bespuće.
Pusti me samo da delim njegove oblake, da širim
krila u sjaju njegovoga sunca.
Hoang Lien
Feel like I am lost in the garden of a hundred years hence, one spring morning, one summer noon, one autumn sunset and another winter night.
I have always wanted to read this poem collection since I was a highschool student studying Poem No. 28 as part of the school course; and now after finishing the book, I am simply happy that it is as splendid as I had always imagined
Amanda
I read this one for my girlfriend, and some of it was better than other bits of it. And my favorite one was the first one. And some of them fit more than I'd like. This was definitely an interesting choice and I have to say I love getting requests for her.
nanto
Iyeu buku teh salah sahijina koleksi nu aya di perpustakaan ajengan ti pagelaran. Teuing ayeuna aya dimana, teu terang abdi teh. Salah sahiji buku awal nu dibacana teh sewaktu di Jatinangor. Sawaktu abdi teu acan tiasa susundaan Jatinangor tea atuh!
BetseaK
Subtle, deep, sensuous. Loved them in Serbian translation (read while at college) and love reading them in the recently found English translation: The Gardener
Andrea
Amazing as always. I can read these poems over and over again and discover something to analyse every single time. Emotional. Terse. Like a petite box brimming with candy. These methaphores are my favourite candy.
kinu triatmojo
buku Tagore yang paling saya suka 15 ribu belum diskon di jose rizal toko buku yang sering menjual buku2 koleksi perpustakaan yang masih ada capnya atau ada tulisan milik negara tidak diperjualbelikan
Dipak
True art of poetry from 19th century.
while reading this piece of art, you will feel much more than just text from pages.

I prefer to read this book in garden or woods when possible!
أحمد
Who am I to say anything about Tagore? Really liked it. But I couldn't put it together with Gitanjali. The last poems were the best. Especially the last one!
Niklas Spitz
Deeply romantic early 20th century, lyrical prose / epic poem. The story of a humble servant to an Indian Queen, exploring sensory feeling and landscape...
Paula
I'm not a big poetry or prose person, but this was free on Kindle. The writings are very pretty, simple and sweet.
Dina
I wish I could read it in Bengali, many metaphors are probably lost in translation...

(my favourite, poem No 41)
Wicak Hidayat
a little heavy for my taste really. i bought this book out of curiosity, and it was cheap as i bought it second hand.
  • Plavi čuperak
  • Orlovi rano lete (Pionirska trilogija, #1)
  • Nečista krv
  • Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations
  • Death and the Dervish
  • Sun After Dark: Flights Into the Foreign
  • Pengakuan Pariyem: Dunia Batin Seorang Wanita Jawa
  • Tajna krvavog mosta (Grička vještica, #1)
  • The Moneychangers
  • The Uncommercial Traveller
  • The Arthashastra
  • The Forged Coupon
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess...more
More about Rabindranath Tagore...
Gitanjali The Home and the World Gora Chokher Bali Short Stories From Rabindranath Tagore

“My heart, the bird of the wilderness,
has found its sky in your eyes.
They are the cradle of the morning,
they are the kingdom of the stars.
My songs are lost in their depths.
Let me but soar in that sky,
in its lonely immensity.
Let me but cleave its clouds
and spread wings in its sunshine.”
10 likes