Start by marking “Eternity (The Way, #2)” as Want to Read:
Eternity (The Way, #2)

Eternity (The Way #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  5,841 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
A visitor from the end of time comes to take a handful of strangers into space, where they must destroy the ultimate marvel of science in this powerful sf classic."Modern mainstream SF of the highest order...Bear rockets the story ever onward and upward". -- Chicago Tribune
Published December 1st 1994 by Aspect (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eternity

Manny
May 01, 2009 Manny rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I saw positive references to Eon, the first book in the series, in Brian Aldiss's Trillion Year Spree, and I bought it before a long flight. I think I had read most of it, or even all of it, before I arrived in California. It was pretty dull, but somehow I bought the second one too, and it was even duller. Chris was saying the other day that Bear reminded him of Asimov. I don't disagree, though I think I'm even more reminded of A.E. van Vogt, whom Damon Knight memorably described as "a pygmy wri ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Feb 13, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it did not like it
Statutory warning to potential readers: the book is named based on the time it will take to get through it.
Tomislav
Feb 27, 2012 Tomislav rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the 1990 sequel to Greg Bear's 1985 Eon.

Eon was a very good hard-sf novel, that unfortunately has come to suffer from being written at a time (1985) when nobody knew the Soviet Union was about to go out with a whimper rather than a bang. By the time Eternity was written in 1990, that was known, and Bear downplayed a lot of the Cold War plot events that were already established in the Eon universe. Unfortunately, another paradigm was about to shift as well, and I refer here to inflationa
Patrick Gibson
Aug 30, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi (not fantasy)
Shelves: science-fiction
While I initially had mixed feelings about Bear's Eon, I have to admit that certain points of his world did capture my interest and I did feel the desire to read more. In this light, Eternity is excellent and shows us what happens to most of the important characters after the final events in Eon. In contrast though, the book was extremely slow to start and seemed mainly concerned about the characters attitudes and feelings as long passages were devoted to personal insight and environmental descr ...more
Emily Burkman
Jun 24, 2007 Emily Burkman rated it liked it
This follow-up to Greg Bear's earlier "Eon" clinched my feelings about this two-part drama of parallel universes, asteroid starships, and space-time distortions. It's been done before and done better. While certainly a complex tale, Bear's pedestrian writing style and Tom Clancy/Michael Crichton sensibility for plot twists and character development rob the story of any majesty or serious social observation. The beauty of a mathematically ingenious wormhole spanning universes and time itself beco ...more
Charlotte
Sep 17, 2010 Charlotte rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I must say the book kept me entranced to the very ending, finishing a 2am, but on the whole I really was not happy with how things worked out. Somehow I get the feeling he did not know what to do with the mess he had created. But since it kept me interested & since it is the first book I have read on my new Kindle it gets 3 stars rather than the two my assessment of the plot would incline me to give.

**Mild spoilers: My objections: All the interesting world building was in Eon, the whole thin
Michael Brookes
Jan 18, 2013 Michael Brookes rated it really liked it
One of the things that makes great science fiction stand out is the big ideas. Eternity is full of big ideas. The story is well told, although it takes a while to get going, but once it does it clips along at a fair rate. Highly recommended.
Mike Franklin
Jan 15, 2013 Mike Franklin rated it liked it
Eternity by Greg Bear

3/5 stars

Although it has the same characters and universe (multiple universes really) as Eon, the first book in the trilogy, this is really quite a different book. In some respects it was better than that first book, in others worse.

I found this book was much less confusing than Eon; it managed to make the whole Hexamon society much more understandable and accessible. In Eon I felt I was being bombarded by too much new stuff all the time and this made the book and certainly
Sarebear
Dec 08, 2011 Sarebear rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star-faves
Some years ago, a decade or more maybe; I tried to read this after having read Eon within the previous 6 mo. to a year. I at that time found the culture of the granddaughter's planet excruiciating almost to read through; it seemed to feel jarring, so out of place with the rest of the book, and rather boring.

BUT, maybe it's just cause I'm more mature now, or what, but I pushed past the first 8th of the book I didn't get past before, and was engaged before I even got that far. Perhaps it's because
Robert
Jul 24, 2009 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This, the sequel to Eon, is much better than its predecessor. Jeopardy is introduced early and the book appears to be about some things; going home and getting old. Unfortunately I still found it hard to relate to most of the characters and their varied fates.

There is, I discovered, a third book - I feel that I'd like to read it more to see where the SF ideas go than from a desire to follow the characters further. I'm in no pressing hurry, though.
Russ
Dec 13, 2008 Russ rated it liked it
This is the sequel to Eon, which I just reviewed. This book deals with some of the consequences of the artificial universe described in the first book. Because most of the book deals with re-opening the new universe, as well as politics, it's not as interesting as Eon. However, there is a large portion of the book which deals with a main character taken over by a vicious alien intelligence. Those parts are the most interesting.

Overall I enjoyed the book, and would recommend it.
Jeff Daly
Sep 12, 2010 Jeff Daly rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version, read by Roy Abers.

I enjoyed the book a great deal. Less so than the first book of the series, "Eon". Perhaps that was due to the fact that the first book introduced me to so many new ideas and was the initial world-building for the series. Still a great read.

started: 2010-09-24.Sep.Fri 11:07:45
finished: 2010-10-01.Oct.Fri 12:14:14

duration: 14h:20m:44s
Andreas
Mar 26, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it
The sequel, Eternity, is about how mankind must give up it’s manipulation on space-time. After the message of hope brought by the first novel, it is interesting how in Eternity Bear takes humanity back down a notch, not closing the door to the future but simply reminding us that the gods do not take kindly to hubris. And through it all, Bear’s astounding imagination is combined with a gift for good, clear and interesting prose.

Mike Veitch
May 25, 2015 Mike Veitch rated it really liked it
A really good follow on from EON, however it was unlikely to have been as good as the original. I enjoyed catching up with the characters from EON and meeting some new ones. Where the story failed compared to the original is the ending, it is somewhat less structured and possibly rushed, where it does well is the sheer size and scale of the universe coupled with some big ideas and some nice twists.
Keith Diamond
Feb 15, 2013 Keith Diamond rated it it was amazing
I am an hardened fan of Greg Bear and have read a number of his books, i.e. Eon, The Serpent Mage, The Infinity Concerto, Blood Music and others. I have found them all to be a great and grasping read and reccommend them to anyone who likes good quality science fiction stories. The concept of this book being the second in the series is remarkable. His first, Eon was an amazing story and Legacy was also an incredible read.
Louella Mahabir
Aug 06, 2012 Louella Mahabir rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books ever! My brain felt a little slow on the draw but I made it. This was so well written. This is the work of a man who has already accomplished his little menial stories to find his own style and bypassed the "I am the shit!" stage too. Such good work. It is a pity i read the second one first.
Donny Price
Nov 26, 2013 Donny Price rated it really liked it
Superb sequel to Bear's masterpiece Eon, returning us to the plot and main characters several decades down the line from the plot of the first novel. Excellent work with preserving/developing characters and creating an interesting story without losing much of the momentum of the prequel. Definitely would read again. A+!
Varlan Georgian
Apr 20, 2013 Varlan Georgian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De fapt am recitit-o si cu siguranta am inteles mai multe decat prima oara cand am citit-o ca pe o carte de sine statatoare.
Millie Taylor
May 31, 2017 Millie Taylor rated it liked it
My first thought when I finished this book was "FINALLY!" When I explain to people that "Eternity" is the name of the book and not how long it took me to read it, they tend to give me the "Wait - what?" look.

Let me get something straight - it took me forever to read this book not because it was bad or boring. I just tend to fall asleep after a page or two because the only real reading time I make for myself is right before bed.

I read "Eon" last year, which was the book prior to this one. As it w
Bruce McNair
This book is the sequel to Eon. It tells the continuing stories of some of the key characters from the earlier book. There are two parallel stories. Firstly, that of the people on the asteroid world Thistledown, including those that settled on Earth and those in the settlements from the Way. In parallel, there is the story of Patricia Vasquez's granddaughter Rhita, who has inherited her grandmother's abilities and objects, and is seeking a way back into the Way under the patronage of Queen Kleop ...more
Eija
Maailmojen synty jatkaa Aikatunnelissa alkanutta tarinaa. Tie (aikatunneli) on väylä aikojen välillä ja sitä pitkin pääsee myös rinnakkaismaailmoihin. Kirjassa on kolme näkökulmaa, jotka yhdistyvät eteenpäin mentäessä.

(view spoiler)
Florin Constantinescu
Jun 06, 2017 Florin Constantinescu rated it it was ok
If Eon was cool enough in its setting, this sequel offers nothing enticing:
- no cool expansion of that setting
- no plot continuation or improvement
- same boring characters and political squabbles

Just like Larry Niven's Ringworld, this started with a cool idea, but then the author kept trying to squeeze more money out of it, without coming with anything interesting or original.
John Langley
Jun 23, 2017 John Langley rated it really liked it
One of my all-time favourites!
Gordon
Feb 05, 2017 Gordon rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The reviews made this sound deeper than it was.
Michele (Mikecas)
da: http://www.webalice.it/michele.castel... Al di l� dei toni sempre esagerati delle presentazioni in quarta di copertina, si tratta effettivamente di un seguito che non delude, sia come tematica che come tensione narrativa, ed essendo il seguito di un romanzo complesso come Eon, gi� difficile da controllare narrativamente di per se stesso, rappresenta sicuramente un'impresa non da poco. Bear, di cui avevo anche presentato L'Ultimatum e Il Pianeta della Vendetta, riprende la storia dopo poco te ...more
Roddy Williams
Set some decades after ‘Eon’, the novel is split between the world of Gaia where the forces of Alexander the Great conquered the known world, and Earth, which is now controlled by the Hexamon.
On Gaia the granddaughter of Patricia Vasquez has inherited the clavicle which can be used to open The Way. In Patricia’s lifetime gateways appeared briefly and capriciously but now one has appeared and has remained stable for three years.
On Earth the planet is still undergoing a healing process following
Richard
Sep 21, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it
Worthy successor to Eon. Follows many of the key characters from Eon (Garry Lanier, General Paul Mirsky, Konrad Korzenowski and Olmy, as well as a new and intriguing Rita Vaskayaza on Gaia. The action takes place on Earth, Gaia and Thistledown. Fascinating concepts come together in a compelling work of science fiction.
Bill
Sep 11, 2015 Bill rated it really liked it
First and foremost: the first book in this series, "Eon", is required reading if anything here is going to make any sense. This book builds on a lot of the "big ideas" of that novel, showing some of the ramifications of the events that took place. Forty years later, society is rebuilding after the aftermath of those events, particularly the devastated Earth.

The narrative focuses on the perspective of a few characters, and this is both a strength and a weakness. It definitely ties things to the p
Liz Burton
Derek Daigle
Nov 19, 2015 Derek Daigle rated it it was amazing
This is how to write science fiction. This is how to treat literature for the artform it is (supposed to be). The imagination of Greg Bear is rooted some place beyond this world, I have never read or watched a story that is half as huge as this. I mean, he makes it seem 100% convincing that travelling from universe to universe is as effortless as taking transit downtown. And it isn't just the fact that this godlike imagination is what makes this book so great, but it's the cohesiveness of it all ...more
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Vacuum Diagrams (Xeelee Sequence, #5)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • The Light of Other Days
  • The Boat of a Million Years
  • Neutron Star (Known Space)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...

The Way (3 books)
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Eon (The Way, #1)

“In the end, there is cruelty and death alone over the land. Not in a single ray of light or grain of sand will you find solace, for all is dark, and the cold gaze of God’s indifferent, heavy-lidded eyes falls on all with equal disdain. Only in your inner strength is there salvation; you must live just as a tree must live, or the cockroaches and fleas that flourish in the land and ruin of Earth. And so you live, and feel the sting of knowing you live. You eat whatever comes to hand, and if what you eat was once a brother or sister, so be it; God does not care. Nobody cares. You whore, and if you whore with man or woman, nobody cares; for when all are hungry, all are whores, even those who use the whores. And disease flourishes when all are whores, for germs must live, and spread across the land and ruin of Earth.” 1 likes