Start by marking “Life After Death: The Burden of Proof” as Want to Read:
Life After Death: The Burden of Proof

Life After Death: The Burden of Proof

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,556 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Deepak Chopra has touched millions of readers by demystifying our deepest spiritual concerns while retaining their poetry and wonder. Now he turns to the most profound mystery: What happens after we die? Is this one question we were not meant to answer, a riddle whose solution the universe keeps to itself? Chopra tells us there is abundant evidence that “the world beyond” ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published October 17th 2006 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Life After Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After Death

Stacie
Oct 13, 2008 Stacie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this guy! He is so intriguing. I have seen him on TV and always thought what he said made sense. So I bought this book... my first Deepak Chopra book. I feel that he has many important things to say, but uses long confusing sentences when he could have easily gotten away with a simpler one. I found myself rereading sentence after sentence. Its not that the vocabulary was difficult, its just that some of the wording can be a bit convoluted. Here is an example.. picked out of the book...

"I
Tim
Jan 02, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thought provoking, fascinating book. Deepak Chopra pulls insights from all the world's spiritual traditions and life-after-death experiences. I like his general assertion that the world of spirit isn't somewhere else, but right here, in the same space we inhabit; it just vibrates at a higher frequency that we usually can’t see, much like radio waves coursing through the air that we don’t detect. I also like his general conclusion; that after death what the souls sees and experiences is largely ...more
Robert C.
Nov 03, 2015 Robert C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life after Death according to Deepak Chopra didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already, which either means his thesis empty or it's preaching to the converted. Probably the latter.

Here's the essence though - you don't die so don't worry about it.

The rest is just science (quantum physics etc.) and conjecture based on the science and Mr Chopra's thoughts and experiences.

I find my mind flip-flopping between world views like those expressed in this book (mind separate from brain, which sur
Eja Batbold
Cyndie
Jun 17, 2009 Cyndie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am slowly but surely making my way through this amazing book. As a "non-beliver" I am finding myself believing in the extraordinary view of the universe that Chopra posits. Even if you don't believe in reincarnation, in the unity of all things, you will find his perspective useful as a learning experience, as a way to understand your purpose in life and in death.

Quite possibly the most remarkable thing I have ever read.
Julie
Feb 27, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's the prospect of "til death do you part" or maybe it's my looming 40 birthday, but I've lately been a little preoccupied with the afterlife, or I guess with my dark fears in the middle of the night that there IS no afterlife. When I bring it up, people usually confess visions of fluffy cloud heaven or insist that they're content to turn into dirt. "Hey, you'll be dead," they say, "You won't know!" Not terribly consoling.

So, someone recommended this book to me -- okay, okay, it was my t
Renae
Feb 14, 2013 Renae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by what this book could offer. I lost my father to cancer a couple of years ago and have struggled even more with the idea of heaven. I am always curious as to how other people view life after death.

The first half of the book was interesting. It actually gave words to my feelings & thoughts. With that being said it was extremely repetitive. He could have written that portion in less than half the text he did.

Like other reviews I have seen I also believe it was condescending
Adam
Sep 09, 2012 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deepal Chopra is basically "Pop Eastern Mysticism". This isn't some ancient text from Buddhists who lived thousands of years ago, but as a newbie to world religions, it helped me grasp the concepts of Eastern philosophies like Vedanta. I don't know much about reincarnation, universal consciousness, or astral planes, so this book helped give a brief overview of the many thoughts on the subjects.

I especially like the second half of the book (much shorter than the first) that discussed many differe
Hussain Sehore
Oct 23, 2014 Hussain Sehore rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, At least not to Indians.
Recommended to Hussain by: The title was appealing
This book didnt meet my expectations. It seems like the book is trying sell eastern vision of death to the people of Christian faith or the western world.

Deepak Chopra simply accepts everything that has been put offered by vedas or even Hindu mythology. Throughout the book keeps comparing the it with Christan version. Mention of Hindu mythology is in form of story of Savitry (Lady who wants to save life of her husband from God of death), which runs though out the book.

Though out the book there a
Mary
Sep 10, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Persuasive yet unfulfilling to those of us raised in Western religious traditions. Dr. Chopra shows us similarities between the Vedantic view of the afterlife and modern science. So it makes sense that the energy of individual souls has existed forever, therefore can never be destroyed. However, the appeal of the Christian (and Islamic) versions of heaven is strong -- I WANT to be reunited with my deceased loved ones, all of our personalities intact and ready to spend eternity together. I suppos ...more
Thai Son
Written for white people and whitewashed people.
Actually not, I like a lot of the things he is saying--but reading this book is akin to the experience of reading a high school algebra textbook as a math researcher. I am not saying that there are not new, valuable things to learn, it is just that when you do have this higher ground there is a tendency and a capacity to skip things. I think I glanced through tens of pages in minutes, just because I don't really find the need to go into the detail
Leonidas Kaplan
Apr 02, 2015 Leonidas Kaplan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can we explain what happens after death? Is there really anything after death like many religions believe, or does it end like westernized science entails?

Deepak attempts to clarify our view of the death through the many religious, cultural, spiritual beliefs that exist. He doesn't necessarily go into each one individually, but instead summarizes them into their core beliefs.

When people of various cultures, religions, and beliefs were interviewed about their Near-death-experiences (usually when
Heidi Wiechert
I enjoyed the first part of this more than the second. The first part was set up as a story telling session with bits of metaphysical teachings in-between the sections to explain the story. The second half was quantum mechanics and theory. Very deep. It was like listening to or reading an article by Amit Goswami- I would understand a part, then lose the thread of his thought, and then spend the next five minutes backtracking to where I lost him. Despite some difficulties, I learned a lot from th ...more
Srikanth
Jan 18, 2010 Srikanth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophical
There are lot of places which I felt getting repeated and not focussed to the core. The core which I felt while reading this book and appreciated the fact that death is no more and not to afraid on that... as the soul will be only existent and body / matter which holds soul get decayed. Based on Karma, it enters into another body. Thats the crux.. but the depiction of story line and other facts discussed is not much focussed and wavering.

Erik Akre
Mar 26, 2016 Erik Akre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in evidence supporting life after death
Shelves: spirituality
Chopra does a good job with illuminating the possibilities of life after death. Although I sometimes find him a little dry, Life After Death delivered an enormous amount of fertile information and evidence for life beyond life, and for the journey of life that continues beyond what we know here. He does it with a nice blend of citation from a great variety of sources and with his ability to relate fascinating personal stories with intimacy and conviction.

The book made me feel cool: the infinite
Michelle Akers-dicken
I've read and reread this book! I highly recommend this to ANYONE who has struggled with grief and death or who is currently living through a terminal illness. The most profound sentence, for me, "Death is only ONE breath away from life". In other words, there's a very thin veil that separates us from this other world. We all know that energy can neither be created or destroyed so this makes so much sense to me. WE are NOT our bodies. Our bodies are temporary houses for our souls. Our souls are ...more
Hannah
Oct 08, 2015 Hannah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book would be much better then it was. Deepak was talking about what he believes happens to people after we die. He tried to incorporate Christian beliefs, Hindu beliefs, and Buddhism. If he had done them more individually, I think it would have been better. However, he combined all of them in the same chapters so it turned into a study assignment instead of a book that I was reading.

He had a very long parable that he broke up so that it was at the beginning of each chapter. Again
Kingchris73
Aug 02, 2008 Kingchris73 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only choose winners to read, or I like everything I read, not sure. If you want to keep an open mind, and a chance to let your mind work it's magic I think you'll enjoy this book. For me it was a liberating book, freeing me from the constraints of popular belief in today's society. This is how I think!
Holly
An excellent, thought provoking book. It's one where I felt that if I could really grasp all the concepts it would be life changing.....I plan to read it again in the future and hopefully take in more of the information. Even still, it was intriguing and inspirational.
Miron Lulic
As someone who isn't very religious or spiritual, I thought this was a compelling book. Life After Death explores Hindu spirituality and concepts such as planes of existence. Chopra's belief that death is just being a stopping point on an endless soul journey is comforting.
Robin
Aug 18, 2009 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like listening to Deepak Chopra so I had high hopes in reading this book. I felt the book was somewhat superficial... like "Chopra Light". Perhaps this won't be so for others but it did not speak to me.
Regina Walker
Mar 10, 2011 Regina Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book. Think I will have to read a few more times with my "western mind" to grasp the concepts..
D.G. Kaye
Mar 07, 2013 D.G. Kaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always love to hear his thoughts, very deep interesting book but I am not convinced.
Meera
Jan 19, 2013 Meera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A good book to get rid of your fear of death(if you have one)!
Amanda
If you're looking for metaphysical, mind-stretching greatness, you have to check this book out. In a nutshell, Life After Death is Deepak Chopra's take on exactly what happens when we die and the nature of our connection to the physical world.

Consistent with his background as both a medical doctor and expert in faith healing, Chopra mixes more abstract spiritual ideas with scientific evidence, citing both personal accounts and documented studies. Although his interpretation does have a lot of In
Nina
Sep 23, 2008 Nina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crappy.
Suzi
Jan 22, 2009 Suzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
whether you are a believer, a non-believer, or simply open to new ideas, this book offers multidimensional insight not only into the mystery of life after death, but of life during life! deepak chopra suggests that since nothing in the physical world can adequately explain the essence of our soul, its creation, existence, and advancement, we need to look beyond the self-imposed physical world into the expanded boundaries of consciousness for answers. he suggests that every level of existence is ...more
Duy Doan
Jan 18, 2016 Duy Doan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deepak answers most of my questions, not only about death, but abouT time, religious and about the acceptance of death. I read this while in the hospital, lying among half dead people, which escalated the book into a new level. yet it still leaves me questions, but i should experiences myself. The author really has good sense of humour, and may annoy Christian and Hinduan, or religious people. So read this instruction before use.
There are not many books like this you can read in your life.
~
Đây
Othón León
Nov 14, 2012 Othón León rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A book that achieves the unattainable: to reconcile science with religion and philosophies on such complex issues such as: what happens after we die?, where do we come from?, where do we go to?, why is it that we are here?, what's life's sense?, does personality survive our death?, where is God?, Will I ever see my beloved departed ones? (by the way, you bet we all will!) etc...

This Deepak Chopra's masterpiece very clearly (and in simple terms) explains how is that conscience masters us and the
Kate Madigan
Mar 16, 2015 Kate Madigan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explores the various beliefs of the afterlife and how different religions view death. It is written from a perspective that supports the idea of reincarnation. While some parts were very abstract and hard to conceptualize, others grabbed my attention and kept me wanting to read more. This is an adult or mature reader pick. Anyone with strong religious views against the idea of reincarnation may want o bypass it.
  • Unbelievable: Investigations into Ghosts, Poltergeists, Telepathy, and Other Unseen Phenomena from the Duke Parapsychology Laboratory
  • Fingerprints of God: The Search for the Science of Spirituality
  • Science and the Akashic Field: An Integral Theory of Everything
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Tunnel and the Light: Essential Insights on Living and Dying
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • The Afterlife Experiments: Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death
  • Living in the Heart: How to Enter Into the Sacred Space Within the Heart [With CD]
  • Family of Light: Pleiadian Tales and Lessons in Living
  • Communion with God: An Uncommon Dialogue
  • Do Dead People Watch You Shower?: And Other Questions You've Been All but Dying to Ask a Medium
  • The Museum of Hoaxes
  • The Genesis Enigma: Why the Bible Is Scientifically Accurate
  • Soul to Soul: Communications from the Heart
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Getting in the Gap
  • Tales of Wonder: Adventures Chasing the Divine, an Autobiography
  • Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...

“What keeps life fascinating is the constant creativity of the soul.” 167 likes