Start by marking “Witches 101: A Witches of East End Primer” as Want to Read:
Witches 101: A Witches of East End Primer

Witches 101: A Witches of East End Primer (The Beauchamp Family)

Almost three million copies of The Blue Bloods series in print, Melissa de la Cruz has now written her first paranormal romance for adults, on sale June 21st.  The first in the Beauchamp Series, the book features a brand-new cast of characters, a fascinating and fresh world to discover, and a few surprise appearances from some of the Blue Blood fan favorites.  It' s a page

Published June 8th 2011 by Hyperion e-books

To ask other readers questions about Witches 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witches 101

Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Jul 02, 2012 Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-library
Background: Witches 101 is a primer to the Witches of East End series, a way to familiarize yourself with the characters and their intentions before reading the series. We meet the Beauchamp women, each with very different personalities and styles.

Review: I got this from Amazon because I got the first book, but wanted to know more about the women before reading, and I normally find these little novellas after the fact, so I am glad that I found out about this one before I started the series. I f
Candy
Jun 16, 2011 Candy rated it really liked it
I was sent an advance copy of his book and was just getting ready to read it when I saw this come up. I thought it would be a little more of a character sheet or something, so it's probably my mistake, but this was simply the first few chapters of the actual book.

Having said that, it's really a great way to get an introduction to this new series and an even better way to get hooked.

I realize that you can get a sample, so it seems redundant, but not everyone uses a Kindle, so for them to be abl
Myndi
Dec 10, 2014 Myndi rated it it was amazing
I normally prefer to read books before they are made into movies or TV shows, or at least before I've seen them, but I saw the TV show "Witches of East End" before I managed to get to reading the books. I noticed some differences right away even in this little Primer between the two, but also some very strong similarities. This book sets the stage and gives a little background on some of the characters that will be involved in the series. I think it did a very good job of that, and for that reas ...more
Book Sp(l)ot
If you already have the Witches of East End novel, you don't really need to read this. It's really just the novel's the prologue and first three chapters.

The last few pages do have little paragraphs about each character and a little 'spell' or two from them, but the bulk of this 'prequel' is taken directly from the novel itself. (It's fee, though, so...)
Starla B
Jun 30, 2011 Starla B rated it liked it
I really liked this and thought it was a fabulous introduction to the series....until I read the first book and realized this was just the first few chapters of the first book. If I had known that I wouldn't have bothered reading this. I am just thankful it was free, otherwise I would have been angry.
Darcy
Jan 05, 2012 Darcy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story might have been better had I not read the first book first. Instead it was a re-cap of the book, sort of like the summary on the back only a little more in depth. I would suggest that if you have read the book, skip this one, if you are on the fence about this series read this one and you will have a good idea if you will like it or not.
Tess Coil
Feb 22, 2017 Tess Coil rated it it was ok
Just an intro and background to a series. Wasn't interested enough in the story to get the next book.
BookNerdette
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it liked it
Joanna, Ingrid, Freya Beauchamp are witches. They live in a small community somewhere on the Atlantic coast.

When Freya becomes upset, things tend to go wrong around her. She's engaged to Bran, but there are problems. Bran's younger brother may have a thing for her. She finds herself attracted to him. Ingrid is considered an old maid. She works as a librarian.

The sisters have been banned from using their magical abilities.

Joanna works around their house, constantly painting and fixing things. I
Caterina Neko
Although I've wanted to read Blue Bloods for quite sme time now, I've never actually read anything written by Melissa de la Cruz before. And, I must say I was not let down. This short story was a prequel to her new series and a nice, enjoyable read that provided some useful information about the main characters. It has caught my attention and I'm planning to proceed reading the actual series quite soon!

Also, my first thoughts about the characters? I think I like Joanna, the mother, the most. Nex
Lynda Tatad
Oct 05, 2011 Lynda Tatad rated it liked it
This is a quick intro to the Beauchamp ladies, of which Freya was introduced in "Bloody Valentine" as a witch (who is also a bartender) who helps Oliver (a red blood from the Blue Bloods YA series) after Schuyler had left him with a craving he had no control over.

Each short chapter introduces us to Ingrid, the Librarian, Freya, who is about to be married but ends up crushing on her fiance's brother, and their mother Joanna, who is constantly changing color and arrangements in their home.

It se
PurplyCookie
I didn't realize that "primer" meant literally the "beginning of story"--I'm annoyed that the publisher decided to promote the book this way.

That aside, there is nothing here that would make me want to purchase the first book of the series. The characters seemed kind of flat and predictable. I thought the end--with all the made-up spells--was particularly cheesy.

There is just not enough material to catch my interest and I really dislike spending time reading something incomplete (but that's jus
Talk Supe
Jan 25, 2012 Talk Supe rated it really liked it
Set in the Hamptons, Joanna Beauchamp and her daughters Freya and Ingrid are trying to be as low-key as possible, trying to pass off as normal instead of the powerful witches that they are. But that proved to be difficult when they found themselves right smack in the middle of the Hamptons high society when Freya got engaged to philanthropist and most eligble bachelor, Bran Gardiner.

This primer is a good preview of the novel itself especially if you are not quite decided on whether or not you'd
Becky
Jun 13, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
I think this was a really nice prequel. I think it was a good idea to introduce each of the characters with their own chapter and to not just list off facts, but to make it part of the story. It does make me want to buy the novel and now i really love the characters and cant wait to read more, but it was only about the characters and didnt really give away any information about what the rest of the novel was going to be about. I liked it, but it wasnt amazing. If you are unsure if you will like ...more
Angel **Book Junkie**
Melissa never fails me on writing a "Good Book" I am glad that I found this novella to give me background on the characters but, my problem is if the book is well written enough you do not need a manuel. I will be reading the series but, because I am not reading it right after this book I may have a problem remembering. Better idea include a synopsis in the first book instead of making them seperated. Three stars because of the writing, and the author though.
Crystal
May 03, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I really liked this, and I'm really looking forward to reading the Witches of East End. The characters seem really interesting, and this sneak peek told me enough about the characters to get me curious about what's going to happen in their lives, as well as like them and find them interesting and unique in their own individual ways.

I'm really pretty excited to read the novel and find out what happens.
Kiera
Jul 08, 2015 Kiera rated it really liked it
I like it. It seems interesting. I like the spells towards the end. I think I will try a few...one day. I don't drink yet. lol. I will start witches of east end right now ^_^ Especially as I am a librarian, I am interested in Ingrid's side of the plot. And Freya.....wasn't she the one who helped Oliver in Blue bloods? ^_^ Not sure if she is promiscuous or if that is part of her gift. lol. But I want to know more about them all. ^_^
Eric
It's exactly as advertised. A primer. First three chapters, a little chat about the witches and their "favorite" spells. Then a blurb about Blue Bloods. Had I picked up this first I would've picked up the books which is thankfully the point. I've seen a few previews/primers/etc that make me wanna quit the books I've liked so yay for that.
Bea
Pffft. Not my idea of a primer. It's the first three chapters from book one followed by brief bios of the Beauchamp women and spells or life advice that each character might give. The excerpt makes up the majority of this so-called primer. It will give you a feel for Cruz's writing style and may grab your interest so as an excerpt it works; as a primer it fails.
Joy Whiteside
Oct 23, 2013 Joy Whiteside rated it really liked it
This was a great introduction to this series and the family.

This book introduced readers to the family of witches and the town in which they live. It moved along at a great pace, has characters that you fall in love with and a great story.

Melissa de la Cruz is a very talented author and I look forward to reading more in this series in the future.
Yekaterina
Jan 28, 2013 Yekaterina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is just a three chapter prequel to Witches of the East End. It introduces the reader to the three main characters.
I thought this was helpful and gave enough information as to help me decide that I do want to read this series! I'm excited to start it and find out what happens because, of course, the short excerpt ended with a slight cliff hanger.
Rozie
Sep 07, 2016 Rozie rated it liked it
I got this book for free. It's just the prologue, the first three chapters of the book, and it has a few pages about the Beauchamp women and "spells" at the end. So, if you have the "Witches of East End" book then don't bother reading this first. The "spells" at the end are somewhat cute but you might as well just read the actual book and skip this.
Bonnie
Jun 09, 2011 Bonnie rated it liked it
I was already planning on reading this novel once it came out, and this little 'primer' didn't discourage me in any way. Melissa de la Cruz does a good job of setting the scene without delving into the story too much, opening up questions, and getting you anticipated for the real novel. I can't wait!
Ambur
Jun 16, 2011 Ambur rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read Witches of East End. :D
This primer's free on Amazon's Kindle Store right now too, so hurry and get yourself a copy, it has the prologue and first 3 chapters of Witches of East End and some other information about the series. :)
Katie
Jun 26, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this short introduction to the characters in de la Cruz's newest novel. Just the barest hint of what the developing story would be. Vocabulary was a tad offsetting but the voice was quite engaging. I went and bought the novel this is a prequel to.
Megan
Nov 22, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: ownedbooks
I wish I'd seen this prequel before I started into the Witches of East End series. It gives a little background info on the Beauchamp witches but you wont be missing out on anything if you choose to jump into the series without reading this first.
Julie
Nov 09, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the series. This includes chapters 1-3, each of which focuses on one of the three main witches. Introducss a lot of interesting plot points. I'd given up on Melissa de la Cruz after four Blue Bloods books, but this might change my mind.
Chelsey Ortega
Jan 14, 2016 Chelsey Ortega rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-kindle
This was a good introduction to the three Beauchamp women. I wish it had been a bit longer, but it caught my interest enough that I want to read the other books. I saw the tv series first (so sad that it got cancelled), and I'm really excited to read the books. :)
Pamela Y.
Good sneak peek

This was a good sneak peek but not nearly enough. I guess the author didn't want to give very much away. After reading this, I may have do decide between reading the books and watching the tv series because they seem to be different.
Amanda
Mar 04, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
I don't know if I'll explore this series or not. I love witches but haven't found a series other than Ann Rice's series that even interests me. I'll put this on my "To Do" list for much later.

• Shadowbloom (Rhyme of the Willow, Book 1)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Moonstone (Unbidden Magic, #1)
  • Cat Calls
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • Quinn, a Vampire Watcher's Story (Royal Blood Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Mark of a Druid
  • The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Vampires in Devil Town (Vampires in Devil Town, #1)
  • Horker's Law (The Six Books of Magic, #1)
  • Free Gift with Purchase
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • Disturbed Earth
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • Invisible Justice (Justice, #1)
  • To Love a Witch (Novel Nibbles)
21911
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like
More about Melissa de la Cruz...

The Beauchamp Family (4 books)
  • Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1)
  • Serpent's Kiss (The Beauchamp Family #2)
  • Winds of Salem (The Beauchamp Family, #3)
  • Triple Moon (Summer on East End, #1)

“witch. A goddess. Someone not of this earth but not apart from it either. A woman to be loved and feared and adored.” 0 likes