Start by marking “Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!” as Want to Read:
Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!

Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  689 ratings  ·  89 reviews
In this updated bestseller, readers learn how to declutter from the master; this book is the first--and last--book on getting organized!
Paperback, Second Edition, 259 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Don Aslett's Cleaning (first published May 15th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Clutter's Last Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clutter's Last Stand

Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie MorgensternStuff by Randy O. FrostEnough Already! by Peter WalshClutter's Last Stand by Don AslettEat That Frog! by Brian Tracy
Best Organizing Resources
4th out of 64 books — 40 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Secret by Rhonda ByrneEvery Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott StevensHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Best Self Help Books
355th out of 602 books — 881 voters

More lists with this book...

Marita
Oct 04, 2008 Marita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marita by: BC
At first I thought that this would just be full of really funny fluff, but it did actually help me get rid of some emotional clutter I've had in my closet for all my 24 yrs here in America. My kids are not going to care what was in those 2 suitcases that were allowed in the plane. I have pictures of them in my photo albums for heaven's sake. Ok just for that I am going to add the 4th star. :)
John Kirk
Oct 04, 2011 John Kirk rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to John by: Get Rich Slowly
This book reminded me of Debt is Slavery: a fairly quick read, and I agree with most of it, but I already knew most of it. It isn't available as an ebook, so ironically the only way to read it was to purchase an extra physical object. The only potential problem with an ebook version is that I might not be able to view the illustrations on my Sony Reader (although I can see book covers). However, these cartoons don't really add anything to the book, since they just duplicate what's already in the ...more
Abby
I really liked this book. I didn't even realize that I was reading a book written in the 80's until it said "You can make a video of all of your photos and then toss them out if you want. It is projected that most households will have video tape players by the year 1990." Ha ha.

So anyways, it is TIMELESS. Apparently junk in the 80's is similar to junk in the year 2008. I am still cleaning and organizing my house, but I am feeling SO MUCH BETTER. I didn't ever think of myself as a pack rat (I tos
Emily
A friend of mine once thought up an idea to raise our awareness of what we Americans possess, rich and poor compared to those in poorer countries of the world. He talked an ordinary family in India into moving every single thing they owned out onto the road in front of their house, after which he took a picture. It didn't take them long, but how would you or even could you, do the same with all of your stuff? It would take weeks, you'd need a wide angle lens. . and then would you actually have t ...more
Kim
Aug 01, 2008 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kim by: Issaquah 6th Ward Book Club
I really enjoyed this book and it motivated me to clean out the closets and drawers. I even bought a copy for my dad and sister and they both raved about it.
Ruthmgon
So,
it was okay in a homespun yarn kind of way>Good tips like: Class rings, we buy them then stick em in a drawer, no one ever uses them, dont even waste your money. or; storage is the expensive way to throw things away.

And, I saw myself in this one: People in apartments save things for when they get a house, but spend the time in the meantime tripping over all of it. Yet, I think he's off base on the fashion/clothes department--and this is me talking, i dont have much of a sense for fashion
Saz Jibson
"I might need it someday." "But, it's been in the family forever!" "I paid too much for this to get rid of it." If these thoughts have ever crossed your mind, you may need a little inspiration for de-cluttering. This book will give it to you in a mega-dose.

The engaging layout and hilarious tone of Clutter's Last Stand keeps the reader from giving up on the sometimes difficult task of getting rid of clutter. I read this book several years ago, and although I am only just now writing a review, I r
Unwisely
This is the latest in my attempts to get more organized. The like books that give me practical how-tos. This book...mostly didn't. Some organizing books I have found motivational, even when I thought the specific tips weren't the real me, but this one mostly seemed to be telling you why you needed to get rid of clutter, not how to do it. I ended up just skimming the book.

(I would give it one and a half stars, I guess, for his point that if you put stuff out on your counters, you just have to cl
Edwina Hall Callan
You don't have to be a hoarder or packrat to enjoy this book.
I laughed out loud several times while reading this, blown away by the things people keep. I also had some No Way and Ewww moments ...
Really ??? Someone has to tell people to throw THAT away, type moments.
Of course, it will also nudge you into throwing a few things away or donating them, because, face it, we all have way more junk cluttering up our lives than we need or will ever use.
Melanie
I probably would have appreciated this book more if I didn't already know most of it from experience. I used to keep everything and my bedroom as a teenager was filled with clutter. The last 7 years of my life I have moved 7 (soon to be 8) times, so that cured any and almost all clutter from my apartment. I've also been trying to save money like mad, and doing just as Aslett suggests (avoiding junk/clutter zones, like shopping) has also helped keep some clutter and junk out.

I did however get the
Linda T
This book changed my life! I had to jump up right in the middle of reading and clean something or declutter. I read this book twenty years ago and it still sticks with me!
Stacy Naberhuis
This book is very inspiring if you're looking to take control of your stuff and get a handle on your life!
Tammy BayAreaVeg
Dec 15, 2007 Tammy BayAreaVeg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in being entertained or looking for good reasons to clean up their house/room/life
This was an entertaining book (also a quick read)that made its point quite well about the logistical and emotional toll that attachment to material stuff (aka clutter) has. Ironically, Aslett repeats in so many different ways the same message, that instead of being a multi-pronged approached, I began to feel as if the book itself was 'cluttered'. I thought it could have been streamlined into a smaller amount of words but then perhaps it wouldn't have been a book.

I enjoyed it and it did convince
Mary Ann
Read this book years ago. Still keep it as inspiration when I need to declutter.
Susan
The book is dated, having been published in the 1980's. As some other reviewers have said, reading the book inspired me to clean out several drawers. Generally, I don't have a lot of clutter. I'm pretty organized, but I continue to read organizing, decluttering, simplicity books. Not a lot of new information to me, but the author seems particularly judgmental when it comes to getting rid of "junk" friends. He also has a very weird bias against coffee. I'm glad I read it since I'm making my way t ...more
Mary Beaudry
not very good
Jenben8426
This book was a good motivator to declutter. It was humourous and really made you think about your possessions (and weight) and why you might be holding on to them. Although it motivated me to declutter, it didn't necessarily really tell me how to it. I am a very step-by-step kind of person and he mainly described what junk/clutter is rather than how to get rid of it (besides just saying you need to do it). I still learned a lot about myself and I will take a lot from his book.
Emily
I used to struggle with letting all the junk go. I would worry that I would need this or that again someday...and what if my dead relative knew I had not kept that yarn she gave me...OH NO!!

After reading this book I was able to let go of the guilt and anxiety of getting rid of the clutter. It was very liberating and felt great to move forward and start throwing out the STUFF.

I think everyone should read this book, even if you don't currently have a clutter problem...
Teresa B
Apr 21, 2010 Teresa B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYone
Recommended to Teresa by: Kate
I do not use the phrase "Life Changing" lightly when I describe this book. The author's writing is hilarious, but absolutely convicting.

I confess I am at least a 3rd generation Pack Rat. This book has helped/is helping me reform!

If you struggle with keeping things "in case" you might need them later, or because they have "sentimental value" even if they are falling apart, you MUST read this!

I plan to have my children (the 4th generation) all read this, too!
Linda
I LOVED this book. It has SO many incredible insights that I've never considered before about why and how to de-junk your life. And best of all.....the guy who wrote it is from (and often mentions) IDAHO, so really it deserves 6 stars. :) I will say the edition I read was a little bit dated (written in 1980, I think) but if you look past that, the principles still apply and have changed the way I view my home & life. I especially liked chapters 3, 6, 13, 15, 16, 17, & 18.
Kristina
I did get some interesting insights put of this book, but I felt like it was about 75% too long. It felt like this book needed to be de-cluttered ;)
Mara
It might seem a little dated or silly to read now, but it really motivated me to rein in my belongings. In a matter of a couple of months I got rid of so many things, probably 50% of my belongings. I'd always had real trouble with clutter and generally being messy. This book also gets to the heart of why you save things and what is really important in life. I highly recommend it to anyone whose home is messy or disorganized.
Katherine
The book was easy to read and offered some good inspiration to begin my Spring cleaning. Clutter has definitely become a problem that has made me less efficient. The book identified some areas that I personally need to address and gave some very useful tips on how to evaluate what to keep and what to let go of. I recommend this book for those who need a little inspiration to tackle the clutter and to get more organized.
Susan
Jan 04, 2008 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cluttered people who wish not to be
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Back in the days when I wrote for magazines, I interviewed this man for one of them. He was one of the nicest people I have ever talked to. Cheerful, enthusiastic, devoted to his life's work of decluttering people to make them less stressed, he is a truly decent man.

I skimmed this or at least one of his like this as research prior to interviewing him. However, I am a true clutterer and there is no hope.
Tiffanie
One of the most important books I've read in my life, changed me into a get-rid-of-it maniac, which was very helpful at the time, cause our family of 7 was living in a 3 bedroom apartment (730 square feet). I'm never going back to being a pack rat! And I've since become an aspiring Professional Organizer, so if anyone needs a clutter coach to help them get rid of their junk, send me an email, I can help!
Annette
Apr 01, 2008 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a clutter free life
I read this book back in the early 90's when I only had two children. After reading it, I went through and completely organized every drawer, closet, cupboard, shelf, corner and crevice in the entire house. Boy, did that feel good! I've tried to stay true to the principles taught in the book, but over the years I think I've strayed a little bit. It's probably about time to re-read it.
Holly
This book was my introduction to Don Aslett, and I have read many of his other books since happening upon this gem. Even if you don't have a "clutter problem" to deal with, this book also takes a look at the way we view our "possessions" with fun and humour. If you DO have a clutter problem, then read this book! You may well laugh all the way to an organized life.
Kami
I thought the book moved slowly at first, only explaining the problems of clutter, not telling you how to get rid of it, but as I read on I realized that it was slipping in little tips here and there. I guess I was expecting a list to check off. I think it is very good at giving you reason to look at your stuff and figure out what you really need and want.
Amy
Embarassing!! I have way too much clutter! This is like 7 habits for highly effective people for cleaning and organization. Tons of practical advice and he really gets down to the "why" of how my house is such a mess all the time. I am totally having a garage sale next month. This is a must read for anyone who struggles with keeping a clean house!
trinainmanila
Aug 05, 2007 trinainmanila rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the chronically swamped
Funny and effective. My favorite quote: "Living is doing...not having." However, I have another decluttering and simplicity book (Simplify Your Life by Elaine St. James) that is slimmed down to less paragraphs, less pages, and less bulk but accomplishes the same thing as this one. I'll keep mine, and just borrow this from the library.
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back
  • Sidetracked Home Executives(TM): From Pigpen to Paradise
  • Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System
  • Restore. Recycle. Repurpose.: Create a Beautiful Home
  • Clean House Clean Planet
Is There Life After Housework?: A Revolutionary Approach to Cutting Your Cleaning Time by 75% For Packrats Only: How to Clean Up, Clear Out, and Dejunk Your Life Forever! Not for Packrats Only: How to Clean Up, Clear Out, and Dejunk Your Life Forever! Make Your House Do the Housework How to Have a 48-Hour Day: Get Twice as Much Done as You Do Now!