Start by marking “Eating Chocolates and Dancing in the Kitchen: Sketches of Marriage and Family” as Want to Read:
Eating Chocolates and Dancing in the Kitchen: Sketches of Marriage and Family

Eating Chocolates and Dancing in the Kitchen: Sketches of Marriage and Family

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Eating Chocolates and Dancing in the Kitchen is a unique and delightful collection of personal sketches of married life from a male point of view, Plummer's sketches; which are often humorous and sometimes poignant, show us that married life is a dance -- sometimes cheek to cheek, sometimes at arm's length -- a complicated series of steps and twists and dips in which two p ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Eating Chocolates and Dancing in the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Chocolates and Dancing in the Kitchen

Cute, funny essays on life, kids, and marriage by BYU English professor Tom Plummer. I have heard both he and his wife Louise speak, and they are both crack-ups! It is easy to dislike Louise as she is portrayed in his stories--I think she must be nearly impossible to live with! But what I love about this book is that despite her cynicism, Tom is obviously in love with her and a wholly devoted husband. I got that sense from hearing them speak as well. They both know how to deflate the pressures o ...more
Tom Plummer was a professor who taught my Imagination and Memoirs class when I was a sophomore in college. He was a wonderful professor and he shared some of his writing from this book with us. Also, as it turns out, his wife is a young adult author whose work I've read (only since taking that class and finding out that she was famous). I probably enjoyed this book from the personal, if very minor, connection to the Plummers. I connected with some of his vignettes on a personal level, as well.
Jun 10, 2007 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I think this may be the cutest memoirs-of-a-husband I've ever read (ignore the fact that it's probably the only memoirs-of-a-husband I've ever read, either, because that detracts from how sweet it is). And I think one of the things I like most about it is the fact that the author is an engineering or economics professor or something, and his wife is a professional writer. The fact that he's trying his hand at her profession makes it all the more endearing.
Short essays about marriage that my wife and I listened to when we were first married. Fun to hear once, not great enough to hear over and over again. Just sounded a little too cliche.

Listened to this one as an audiobook. While the author writes well, an professional should have recorded it. He comes across as dry without much tone variation or excitement.
Perfect "spice up life" book- or maybe sweeten up life would be more accurate.
Made me smile, and chuckle several times. Liked the essays involving table settings- aesthetics. The small business start-ups sounded so adventurous from the mouth of a German professor. The conversation with a roofer was a hilarious crowning moment.
Oct 17, 2007 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every couple
We got this for a wedding present. When we finally got around to reading it, we loved it. Real life experiences written so well. Really helps to see how different people can still have a fantastic marriage. We refer to jokes in this book often. Now we give this away for weddings too!
Another very quick and easy read --(I am noticing a trend here :) ) This is a really fun book -just a memoir of a man and life. Done with humor and gave me a desire to find more joy in the little things in life!
We got this as a wedding present and we read it every so often. It's hilarious. Great to read together with your husband. (Kurt also took some classes from the author at BYU.)
I read this book. For some reason "good read" has it only listed as a cassette. Anyway, it was a short, quick collection of essays on love and life. Very funny and endearing.
I think these "sketches" of marriage are even more enjoyable knowing the author. He's a good teacher and I can definitely relate to many of the scenarios as well.
I really like these short stories on marriage and family life. Brad had some German classes from Prof. Plummer at BYU and really liked him.
Short essays on marriage. I had a creative writing class from Louise (author's wife), and she is so delightful and funny. He is too!
Short and Funny. I laughed out loud a few times. It's a good one to read with your hubby. Thanks for suggesting it, Tara.
This is one of my favorite books to read. Doesn't take very long and helps me remember what's important.
I think Tom Plummer is funny and I love the way he tells stories. This book made me happy.
The short stories in this book just make me laugh. I plan to read it again soon.
Delightful book by a delightful man. This couple cracks me up and inspires me.
A funny, and true, look at marraige! Entertaining.
Fun short stories. Very sweet.
Emily Wilding
Witty and lighthearted. Not sappy.
Hendrik marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Michelle Glass
Michelle Glass marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Angie marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Robert added it
Dec 31, 2014
Rachel Lorraine
Rachel Lorraine marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014