Start by marking “Moonfire (Australian, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moonfire (Australian, #1)

Moonfire (Australian #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  392 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
An American beauty stranded by a shattered promise on Australia’s vast shores. . . .

After sailing to Australia only to find that the man who asked her to marry him has no intention of fulfilling his part of the bargain, Maggie Chamberlain vows to shape a new life for herself in Sydney. Then arrogant, wealthy Reeve McKenna captures Maggie’s untried heart, thrilling her sen
Published May 24th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Moonfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonfire

Barbara ★
Reeve McKenna and his brother, Jamie are separated as teenagers in Ireland as Jamie is transported for thievery and Reeve departs on a whaling ship for Australia. 20 years have passed and Reeve has spent a good portion of that time trying to find his brother.

Maggie Chamberlain is an actress in London who believes Philip when he tells her he loves her and has her travel to Sydney as an indigent who will then be expected to repay her passage as a servant for three years unless she marries. Of cou
Wendy
Nov 15, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance lovers
This is a story about Two brothers, Reeve and Jamie McKenna, born in Ireland and then forced to leave. One being transported as a punishment for theivery, the other on a whaling ship. Both end up in Australia, but not together again for 20 years.

Maggie Chamberlain is an American who has taken ship to Australia on a promise of love and marriage. When she arrives there is no love and no marriage.

When Maggie meets Reeve McKenna, things start to change for her and she falls for this selfmade wealt
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I'm a devoted fan of Linda Lael Miller and was really looking forward to reading this book, but this heroine completely ruined the experience for me. Maggie was young and terribly insecure. She was also severely lacking in the common sense department. I definitely understood all the Taming of the Shrew references dropped into the story. Maggie could whine, pout, stomp her feet and throw tantrums (and crockery) like a wild woman. I was ready to drop kick her into the next decade myself!

The story
Laurel
Sep 23, 2009 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11th-grade
This story is about how a girl named Maggie found her unexpected love in Australia. Maggie had gone out with a Australian named Philip, who had promised her that he'll marry him and give her a role in his play when she comes to Australia. Innocently believing him, Maggie leaves her homeland America to a new foreign land to find out that Philip was never serious about keeping his promise. But there she met one of Australia's richest man, Reeve. Famous for having several affairs at once, Reeve and ...more
Christel
Apr 27, 2008 Christel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LLM readers, Historical romance readers
First book in the Austrailian series by Ms. Miller. Not a bad read. This is the story of an American and an Irishman in the land down under. Good story, great character development and it will go on my keeper shelf. I am reading book 2 now and I am enjoying it also
Lori L Simmons
Oct 02, 2015 Lori L Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Another excellent book by Miller. Twists, turns, varied geography, and love stories keep you on the edge of your seat. A must read.
karen
Mar 02, 2016 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast read. I liked Maggie's independence and Reeve's tenderness. Wish more was brought out about Elisabeth
Rachel
Jun 11, 2016 Rachel marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I read the first two chapters, but it didn't capture my interest.
Shannon
One of her best.
JoAnne
Oct 29, 2012 JoAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this new series set in Australia. Complex characters, beautiful and vivid descriptions of different locations in Australia. Nice closure with some happily ever afters and loose ends tied up but I knew there had to be more stories to tell. Was happy to see this is Australia #1 in the series.
Love Linda Lael Miller's cowboy stories and series too. Give her a try if you haven't already.
Haylie
Apr 27, 2008 Haylie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
i really liked this story, except for the fact that there was too much suspence! Well, i mean that if one dramatic thing wasn't happening it was another! Those scenes went on forever, until you just wanted to hurt somebody! (i sure did!!lol) But don't get me wrong, it was an awesome book and it had a very happy ending!!!
Carol
Oct 28, 2009 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, have
I've read a lot of LLM's books but this one was the worst written. I couldn't relate to characters or understand their motivation. It was good enough to read but no where near what she usually writes
Doug
Sep 14, 2011 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
i enjoyed reading this little romance I would have liked a little more suspense and mystery and less goofy story about a whaling trip and the post traumatic stress it caused the hero.
Dawn
Mar 01, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Independent Maggie starts new life, Meets wealthy Reeve who is obsessed with finding his brother.
Brittney
Jun 23, 2012 Brittney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I think I'm inlove with Reed McKennie! Lol another great read. This makes 3 times!
Jody
Nov 04, 2011 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance set in the 1800's in Australia. Enjoyed the story and characters.
Cecelia
I have issues with some of the plotting/pacing but otherwise I loved it :D
Janice
Aug 15, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of Mrs. Miller's books are a GREAT read!! Always worth read over again!
Rachel
Scott
Scott added it
Jul 26, 2016
Sue Davenport
Sue Davenport rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Deborah Perron
Deborah Perron is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2016
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Meagan Lynn
Meagan Lynn marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
  • My Lady Beloved
  • Whispers of Heaven
  • Shadow Play
  • In Our Dreams
  • The Panther & the Pyramid (Khamsin: Warriors of the Wind, #4)
  • Outlaw's Bride
  • Across a Wine-Dark Sea (Merfolk Trilogy, #1)
  • Once an Angel
  • Just a Kiss Away
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • Summer Sensations: Overload, The Leopard's Woman, Lonesome Rider
  • Must Have Been the Moonlight (Donally Family, #2)
  • Acts of Love
  • Wild Silver (The Delaneys, #9) (The Delaneys, The Untamed Years, #2)
  • Truly a Wife (Free Fellows League, #4)
  • The Tiger's Lady (Dangerous Heroes, #3)
  • Sunrise Over Texas
  • Most Eagerly Yours (Her Majesty's Secret Servants #1)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Australian (2 books)
  • Angelfire (Australian, #2)