Never Say Genius

Never Say Genius (The Genius Files #2)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  708 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Today is Coke and Pepsi McDonald's thirteenth birthday. Someone's out to make sure they never make it to thirteen and a half.

Racing across America,
the twins will nearly be
BOILED ALIVE
in a huge basket of french fries,
FROZEN TO DEATH
WORST OF ALL
their parents think
they're tot...more
Published January 24th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Never Say Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Say Genius

Pamela Kramer
'The Genius Files #2: Never Say Genius' by Dan Gutman continues the fun and hilarity of 'The Genius Files: Mission Unstoppable.'

Pepsi and Coke, enrolled in a secret program for geniuses, are still targeted for murder by the creator of the program, Dr. Herman Warsaw.

Don't worry if you haven't read the first book, although Gutman seriously urges the readers to stop reading this sequel, "So get a copy of that book and read it. Then come back and start this one again. Go ahead. I'll wait."

But even G...more
BAYA Librarian
Get back on the road with this pop culture pilgrimage in Dan Gutman’s second installment of The Genius Files. Thirteen-year-old twins, Coke and Pepsi McDonald, are in for more hilarious adventures as they trek cross country on their way to our nation’s capitol, all the while being chased down by sinister characters, including one who bears a striking resemblance to the comic book icon, Archie (…yes, as in “Archie and Jughead”). The reason for all the mayhem is that the twins are part of a secret...more
Lilly
I happen to be reading the 3rd book right now. My teacher was reading the first one the same time I was! He really liked it. These are like my fav books and Pep and Coke are very in fact, genius. Pep loved to solve ciphers and Coke has a photographic memory. (That really bugs Pep.)
They aren't your normal teenagers. They are being chased by bowler dudes, a psycho health teacher, Archie Clone, and Dr. Warsaw himself, the creator of the genius files. They have GPS trackers implanted in their necks...more
Virginia C.
I expected I would like this book but i was wrong. It is the BEST BOOK EVER!
Nithusa
This is an good book but it drags but I couldn't stop reading it
Lorna
Since I am really not the intended audience for these books, I will merely say this: if kids love books where kids get in and out of completely preposterous situations, they will love it. I can only suspend my disbelief so far...

But I must say this -- these people are the wimpiest travelers ever! From page 79: "It was June 26. They were about seven hundred miles from Washington, and they hoped to get there at least one day early to explore the capital before Aunt Judy's wedding on July Fourth. S...more
Cheryl
Book two of the Genius Files. A fun easy series for middle elementary readers. I listened to this as an audio book and grew tired of the web address repetition.
Twins Coke and Pepsi McDonald are still on the road to the nations capital having made as far as Wisconsin alive. They are traveling with their history teacher dad and trivial loving mom to all kinds of strange sites while being chased by killers seeking revenge and increased inheritance.
Zavair
I recommend you should read Genius Files Never Say Genius because it is a really good book. 1. It has lots of action, 2. It is really funny because they call the evil guys in the black bowler hats bowler dudes, and 3. There is lots of ciphers to figure out. But the bad part is when lots of people try to kill them. I noticed that every time they go somewhere without their parents something terrible happens. It is the most exciting book ever!
Melody Savage
Parents only need be award of a few h-words.

I can see why this book (maybe the whole series) would appeal to young readers, especially reluctant readers. This is the only volume of the series I have read, but it was a likable, interesting adventure.

It is rather like a series of a popular cartoon - predictable patterns with variable details. This type of repetition is great for growing readers who need to practice reading within known parameters, but who also are entertained by the multiple ways...more
Lori
Our children are really enjoying this series of books which include the adventures of twins, Coke and Pepsi (Pep), as they travel the United States with their parents--touring quirky and often little known sites, like the biggest ball of twine, and the Hoover Vacuum Cleaner museum, or more well known ones like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Gutman's narrative voice makes it even more entertaining and fun.
Jill
Thoroughly enjoyed this second in the series! Same off-the-cuff humor, adventure, and crazy museums as in the 1st. I still love how Gutman "talks" to the reader, it's great! I also love how we get to see places in the United States that we'll maybe never go to. I did the first one in my school visit book-talks last year, and I might do this one this year!

Booktalk:
Some of you may remember that I brought the 1st one of "The Genius Files" by Dan Gutman last year to tell you about and this year I ha...more
Areli
My 12 year old daughter loves this series. She actually wants to read anything Dan Gutman writes. He even has a baseball/time travel series for my 9 year old boy. Great creativity. It's beyond unrealistic, but cleverly intertwines true fun facts from around the United States.
Katie
This book is so intriguing and i really want to know how Dr. Warsaw survived. I was so shocked when the author wrote that Dr. Warsaw was getting married to Coke and Pepsi's aunt. I'm guessing that the author really wanted to make the reader left wanting to read the next book.
Jenny
I love reading these aloud with Quinn (and Carson who is 13 and is just listening.) They are funny, and full of adventure. All the right ingredients for boys. It does bug me though that the parents are so unaware of all that is going on with their children.
Kara
Siv
The McDonald twins and their parents are still making their way cross-country, but now they have a new enemy: Archie Clone. Love this series for its smart and engaging writing.
Audrey
Nov 25, 2013 Audrey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3rd, 4th and 5th graders
I did not like this book nearly as much as the first one. I guess that's probably because I was younger when I read the first one. That one was interesting and surprising. This book was repetitious. I mean, after the first 2 or 3 times, Coke and Pep's almost dying gets old. And the dialogue was entertaining in a very stupid way. Pep cries because she thought the lyrics to that song by Pat Benatar were "hit me with your pet shark" ,instead of "hit me with your best shot". Really?! Really? The bo...more
Amy
What a fun book. The Twins--Coke and Pepsi--travel with their parents in an RV from the Wisconsin Dells to Washington, DC with a red-headed teenager set out to murder them on their trail. There are at least 2 more sequels after this book. Now we have to get the next one.
Michelle Long
Great

this book is very thrilling and exiting in most parts and the end will blow your socks off so good

Karen
I really liked Gutman's first book, The Genius Files, and the second book doesn't disappoint. Our heroes, Coke and Pepsi, are still traveling cross country with the parents in a motorhome, headed to Washington DC for their aunt's wedding.

Love how Gutman incorporates geography, information about states, and celebration of the oddball museums across the United States.

The reader does have to suspend belief sometimes to really believe our heroes continue to elude death at the hands of the bad guys,...more
Reagan
I thought it was a great book but it was a cliff hanger I have to read the next one, you only die twice.
Jane
2 and 1/2.

The Genius Files Series is not Gutman's best. The books are repetitive: twins Coke and Pepsi McDonald visit quirky site while traveling cross-country with their parents and then narrowly escape death; repeat; repeat; repeat.

My 10 year old son likes the books more than I do.
Malcom Watkins
I loved the book it was funny and serious but not to much of either
Luci De
Again, a great book by Dan Gutman! Love this series!
Gideon
Jun 30, 2014 Ben rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
6 stars!
Caitlin
The second book in the Genius Files, we find Coke and Pep finally reach Washington D.C. While the adventure isn't over for them, it is for me, and the writing is just too geared toward kids for me to enjoy. I would definitely recommend it to a fourth grader, though.
Sue Poduska
Who would have thought a travelogue could be hilarious? The author proves it’s possible. The second in “The Genius Files” series, this volume takes the reader from Spring Green, Wisconsin to Washington, DC. With each leg of the trip, the reader is urged to consult on an online map for the route. He occasionally speaks directly to the reader with admonishment for not reading the previous volume and other devices.
Kel
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit (Charlie Joe Jackson, #2)
  • Hideout
  • Hide and Seek (Capture the Flag, #2)
  • Seven Stories Up
  • The Villain Virus (NERDS, #4)
  • Spy Camp
  • The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett: An Origami Yoda Book (Origami Yoda #4)
  • The Fourth Stall Part II
  • The Boy Who Howled
  • Treasure Hunters (Treasure Hunters, #1)
  • Double Dog Dare
  • Alien on a Rampage
  • The 13-Storey Treehouse
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
  • The Power of the Parasite (Squish, #3)
  • My Life as a Stuntboy
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of...more
More about Dan Gutman...
The Homework Machine Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1) Babe & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #3) Mission Unstoppable Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)