Start by marking “The Fortune” as Want to Read:
The Fortune

The Fortune

Twenty-four-year-old Alexa Walden secretly married 64-year-old millionaire Arthur Bannerman. And after his death, Alexa finds herself tainted with scandal and pitted against the powerful and privileged world of the New York rich, where she must fight the entire Bannerman dynasty for control of The Fortune.
Published August 5th 1991 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fortune

Joanne
Mar 18, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A massive family fortune is willed to a young widow. Alexa marries Arthur Bannerman and their honeymoon ends with his death. Despite the 40 year age difference, Alexa quickly picks up on the business and family dynamics of “the fortune” as the estate is referred to. Both Alexa and Arthur’s son Robert have some dark past secrets which they use against each other during the fight for the fortune.

Through a psychological interaction with the family dynasty Alexa matures and carries on her husband’s
Lookout
Jun 14, 2013 Lookout rated it liked it
This is the kind of book you can read on a rainy day, by nightfall the book will be finished and you'll be quite satisfied. I was entertained and enjoyed it a lot as I got to know the different characters of the fictional-multimillionare-family Bannerman.

Alexandra Walden is the young wannabe-fashionmodel who stirs things up in a aristocratic family when she is to inherit a huge Fortune from her newly deceased husband.

As I mentioned, I found it great on a rainy day when I was looking to read som
Everydayreader1
Jun 08, 2016 Everydayreader1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alexa Walden is a young woman who has come to New York and is working at making a life for herself. She meets Arthur Bannerman, a very wealthy older man, and her life will never be the same.

I first read this book not long after its initial publication. It has stayed with me all these years, and I decided to reread it. The romance and intrigue were every bit as enjoyable the second time around; and the quality of the writing is superb, in my opinion.
Francesca
Feb 18, 2012 Francesca rated it liked it
I think I was 14 when I read it and I loved it back at the time. It's not a masterpiece, but it's easy to read, the story is interesting and you really end up feeling close to Alexa. You really want her to be happy.
Kerstin
Aug 05, 2014 Kerstin rated it really liked it
This is the first novel by Michael Korda I have read that is not about celebrities. This is a novel about crime without being a mystery.
Mrmorrison
Dec 20, 2015 Mrmorrison rated it liked it
Unbelievable, but entertaining. Rather outdated in terms of historical and cultural references. (Nixon, Onassis, Balenciaga.)
Marblemaven
Marblemaven rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2009
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Renzo
Renzo rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2011
Ayushi
Ayushi rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Ellie Syverud
Ellie Syverud rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Misrain
Misrain rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Alicia
Jan 06, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly my favorite of his books? Engrossing, trashy, lots of fun.
Cat Kelley
Cat Kelley rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Cory
Cory rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Sheri
Sheri rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2009
Nancy Schiff
Nancy Schiff rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2016
Samukelisiwe
Samukelisiwe rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Karil Kaylor
Karil Kaylor rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Mariana
Mariana rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2008
Khõlõuð Khãleð
Khõlõuð Khãleð rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
monica
monica rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2012
Ron
Ron rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2011
Madeline Haggans
Madeline Haggans rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Sondra
Sondra rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Robert Kerr
Robert Kerr rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
is an English-born writer and novelist who was editor-in-Chief of Simon & Schuster in New York City.
More about Michael Korda...