Start by marking “When the Snow Refused to Fall” as Want to Read:
When the Snow Refused to Fall

When the Snow Refused to Fall

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This is a Christmas story of sorts, although it doesn't take place entirely at that time of year. It concerns young Tom, who loves Christmas and everything that goes with it, and his mother, who has reservations. Tom makes a seasonal wish and conveys it to Father Christmas. Then he changes his mind. The adults in his world only make things more complicated.

The story begins
Paperback, First, 181 pages
Published June 8th 2011 by Redpath Books (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about When the Snow Refused to Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Snow Refused to Fall

Angie
I received this book from a Goodreads competition.

This book was quite an easy read, mainly due to the easy flow of the story. Telling of a widowed mother and her young son around christmas time, the beautiful use of strong imagery and simple narration achieved quite a natural, personal element to this story.

The story can be a bit contrived at times, almost unrealistic in places, but the believability of the characters and the way they are developed is one of the saving graces of this book. The p
Suegarratt
I was lucky enough to win this in a Goodreads giveaway .

I really enjoyed this simple but heartwarming story immensely .
It concerns : Tom , a yountg boy who has no father and a Christmas wish of Father Christmas which he makes, and focuses on what happens afterwards.
Irene uses wonderful descriptions of the weather , the elements and Christmas, and the emotions of the characters involved and I liked the characterisations whom I liked and found believable.
I couldn't put it down and it kept me e
Sixties
What a wonderful story this was.
One that transported us back to the days of childhood wide-eyed innocence at Christmas time, a time for hoping against hope that Father Christmas would listen to our wishes not only for ourselves, but, in this little boy's world, for his widowed mother as well.
All this set against the complexities of emotions coursing through a woman trying her best to provide the 'best possible Christmas' for her son, whilst at the same time trying to deal with the demons and hor
Jed
This enjoyable book was a Giveaway through the Goodreads scheme. I found it very easy to read, finishing it in around 2 hours, but this didn't detract from the simple but engaging story about a young widow and her young son. Because of the nature of the genre, the outcome was fairly obvious early in the story, the only question being how it would come about. However, this should not stop anyone from reading this book .....if you want to while away a couple of hours, this heartwarming story will ...more
Ice Bear
This gem of a book seems almost a mash up of Miracle on 34th Street meets parts of my life. A touching tale set in the backdrop of Edinburgh and surrounding countryside with english accents (if I was posh I would use the word prose).

A few twists and turns of a meandering brook variety. A whisper of a snowflake to bring warmth out of the inner winters most of us carry around with us.
Lisa Lucas
Won in goodreads giveaway, review coming soon
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2012
Rick F.
Rick F. marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2011
Dierdra Byrd
Dierdra Byrd marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2011
Kristen N.
Kristen N. marked it as to-read
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Kayla Baldwin
Kayla Baldwin marked it as to-read
Alanna Ayers
Alanna Ayers marked it as to-read
Jackleen
Jackleen marked it as to-read
Carolyn Benton
Carolyn Benton marked it as to-read
R.J. Murphy
R.J. Murphy marked it as to-read
Jerri Giammarino
Jerri Giammarino marked it as to-read
Jo-Ann Murphy
Jo-Ann Murphy marked it as to-read
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2011
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2011
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2011
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2011
Jason Jones
Jason Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2011
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2011
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2011
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2011
Norma
Norma marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
I have several books in print, but they're a mixed bunch!

I have some on family history, one on the history of a church and community in the Scottish Borders, and some fiction and poetry. So I don't seem to fit into any particular genre - I write what takes my fancy and / or comes into my head at the time.

Six are now available at Amazon, in Kindle format, or at Lulu.com in paperback or e-editions:
More about Irene M. Redpath...
Flowers for Alys In the Image of Ravenna St James the Less, Penicuik 1882 - 1982 A Day to Go Gently Wild Honey