Start by marking “Our Films, Their Films” as Want to Read:
Our Films, Their Films

Our Films, Their Films

This book brings together Satyajit Ray's major writings and talks on film making and film makers, and presents them in two sections. 'Our Films' is devoted mainly to his own experiences and contains many interesting anecdotes, but also has observations to offer on trends in Indian films. 'Their Films' deals with some films from abroad that have become landmarks in the hist ...more
Published September 15th 1994 by Hyperion (first published January 28th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Our Films, Their Films, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Films, Their Films

Vijeta
Jun 21, 2013 Vijeta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, film
An enjoyable, informative book by Satyajit Ray offering commentaries on our (Indian) films and their (rest of the world) films. Written in the manner of a discourse and observations on films it does not have a method or a definite purpose, but it is a must-read for film buffs.
Avishek Bhattacharjee
Aug 26, 2015 Avishek Bhattacharjee rated it it was amazing
#Our films,Their Films
The intro of the book starts with "A filmmaker rarely writes about films"-This would have been a huge loss if not written.This book divided into two sects Our films and their films.This is an awesome collection of film articles,critical comments about different world movies,books and autobiographies related to books and the cine-future.
Though written long back but he was a visionary and pointed out the right reason of the present standard of Indian movies-elementary confusi
Agni Tripathi
Jun 09, 2016 Agni Tripathi rated it it was amazing
Satyajit Ray's Our Films, Their Films took me a bit off-guard. When I had first picked up the book I was expecting to read about the various behind-the-lens experiences of the great director. While the book did discuss few such unique tales it is much more than a collection of behind-the-lens instances.

The book analyses the differences in Indian and western cinema and discusses the various possible reasons for the divergences. A keen follower of western films, Ray talks about the monotony in Ind
Ritika
The man who made some of my favourite films and wrote the beloved Feluda stories discourses on films at large. What comes across strongly for me is his love for Calcutta, and it is a wondrous thing to see. It is also interesting to read about the stalwarts of World Cinema in such familiar terms.
A recommended read for anyone with a medium knowledge of films in general and a love for Ray's works in particular.
Anthoney
Oct 14, 2014 Anthoney rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PGR Nair
Recently had the good fortune to catch "The Music Room" by Ray saheb on big screen and it just reinforced my admiration for the artist that Ray saheb was (feel uncomfortable to address him without a title). The 'Apu' trilogy were equally spectacular cinematic experience. So I was glad to chance upon these essays by the genius.

The book is a confirmation on how well Ray saheb knew this most complex and technical art form, how he was so
knowledgeable on the precise requirements including the psycho
Sid
Jul 18, 2012 Sid rated it it was amazing
I have read many works by this legend in his unique Bengali detective
and Bengali scientist genres, and I had heard him speak, but I was
unprepared for the depth of insight and economy of prose in his
writing about the subject of cinema. Again, like George Orwell
in Homage to Catalonia, a style that is simply his own.
Supertramp
Jul 30, 2014 Supertramp rated it it was ok
#78

I haven't seen any Ray's movies but I always have the idea that they are great. But this book really put me down. More than filmmaker I found him as an critic here. He judged so many talented people. For some movies he thought they were too far from general audience and for some movies he thought they were still conventional. I wonder who was/is going to make a standard. I really hope his movies won't let me down.
Anal Ghosh
Mar 03, 2016 Anal Ghosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This invaluable selection of articles and essays that Ray penned for newspapers, magazines, etc. offers deep insights into his ideology of film-making, his inspirations, his struggles and growth as a director, and his take on Indian and World cinema of the times. Neo-realism, avant-garde, human behavior and relationships, aesthetics - these words are oft-repeated and signifies his style of movies that repeatedly brought him critical acclaim from across the world. The writing is heavy in parts, e ...more
Kiran
Oct 16, 2012 Kiran rated it it was amazing
I love Satyajit Ray movies because his movies are real and that he took Indian cinema to a higher level. His way of cinematic expression of pathos and revelry is moving and touching. But I never thought he was such a powerful writer. His literary style is just amazing and frankly I was glued to the book just to learn how to express one's thought process so eloquently and effectively.
Souvik
Sep 12, 2012 Souvik rated it really liked it
'Our films their films' is yet another authoritative stamp on the eternal genius of Satyajit Ray. A must read for any movie buff, and before reading it, prepare to be blown by his handling of the English language. His sharp insights on foreign movies show why he is the greatest director ever from India. Respect.
Phillip
Jan 12, 2015 Phillip rated it really liked it
Shelves: film
a nice collection of mostly short pieces reflecting ray's concerns for indian cinema and some great diary style entries he wrote while filming various projects. great for getting a bit more insight on his process and how he approaches achieving the high level of humanity that is the hallmark of his work.
Tamal
Dec 05, 2009 Tamal added it
A work which unites Ray's most essential analyses and commentaries on the Cinema __ from Kurosawa to John Ford. to Charlie Chaplin to Francois Truffaut. The intelligence of the critique strikes us immediately and ray succeeds in making us share his immense love for this form of ART...Worth Reading...
Dev Dath
Wow... What a great book? It also gave me new informations and I liked the way he used to compare our films and foreign films.The language used in this book was simple.Satyajit Ray,I think is the best director and author I have ever seen.
Trinankur
Sep 20, 2013 Trinankur rated it it was amazing
One of the finest books that can be offered to a greenhorn of cinema. Glimpses of Global Scenario with crisp analysis and little trivias here and there about the towering figure of Indian cinema, this book is a must for every cinema lover.
Sankar Raj
Nov 15, 2013 Sankar Raj rated it it was amazing
Shelves: film
A great work on the nature of films by a great director.His language is simple. He discusses the kind of films made in India and other parts of the world.A must for a movie buff.
Lingadharduggirala
Aug 02, 2016 Lingadharduggirala rated it really liked it
As a film enthusiast and aspiring film-maker, I found the book to be knowlegeable,inspiring and informative..
Subroto Chattopadhyay
Apr 15, 2013 Subroto Chattopadhyay rated it it was amazing
Must read, the bit on how we paint and the direction of the brush strokes ......
Sowmya
Aug 14, 2011 Sowmya rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good Analysis of Films and Film making.
I just fell in love with Ray again!
Saurabh
Jul 31, 2013 Saurabh rated it it was amazing
Brilliant..Absolutely brilliant...
Sudeshna
Feb 18, 2013 Sudeshna rated it it was amazing
Must read for every cinema lover.
Sukesha Dutta
Jun 15, 2011 Sukesha Dutta rated it liked it
good for beginners
Sandeep Sinha
Sandeep Sinha marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Ted Slater
Ted Slater rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Afshan
Afshan rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Kshiti
Kshiti marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Himanshu Rai
Himanshu Rai rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Sharzeel Zafaryab
Sharzeel Zafaryab rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Rishabh
Rishabh marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Monishita Dey
Monishita Dey rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
  • Literary Criticism: An Introduction to Theory and Practice
  • Godard on Godard: Critical Writings
  • Those Days
  • একাত্তরের দিনগুলি
Satyajit Ray (Bangla: সতযজিৎ রায) was an Indian filmmaker and author of Bengali fiction and regarded as one of the greatest auteurs of world cinema. Ray was born in the city of Calcutta into a Bengali family prominent in the world of arts and literature. Starting his career as a commercial artist, Ray was drawn into independent filmmaking after meeting French filmmaker Jean Renoir and watching Vit ...more
More about Satyajit Ray...