Start by marking “The Last Time Around Cape Horn: The Historic 1949 Voyage of the Windjammer Pamir” as Want to Read:

A memorable tale of adventure on the turbulent seas of the Great Southern and Atlantic oceans—on one of the most historic voyages of our time—finds its way into paperback. This is William F. Stark's engrossing memoir of the last leg of the Grain Race, and the Pamir's rounding of fearsome Cape Horn—the storm-tossed tip of South America just 600 miles from Antarctica—the ...more
Published November 26th 2004 by Basic Books (first published September 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Time Around Cape Horn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Time Around Cape Horn

Jack
Mar 08, 2012 Jack rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous book! William Stark interrupted his college studies to sail as a seaman on the last of the great four masted square riggers to sail around Cape Horn. The writing is wonderful, the story highly engaging--I couldn't put it down.
Jeanne
May 06, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for anyone who loves the sea or sailing. I came across this book by chance and got totally caught up in Stark's adventure. I vividly remember approaching Cape Horn some years ago in a small modern cruise ship and circling for hours so that a crew member could tender ashore to get a certificate/memento for the passengers. It was not to happen, as the rough waters and strong winds prohibited any safe passage. I can't begin to imagine what it was like for any sailing vessel to ...more
Heidi
Dec 20, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
As sometimes happens with memoirs, this is one in which I was totally captivated by the story being told even as I found the narrator somewhat insufferable.

A rare complaint about the paperback edition: my father-in-law gave me this book brand new, and the very first time I read it, pages started falling out of the binding! Cheap, cheap, cheap!
William
Jul 19, 2007 William rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Barker, Johnny O, Dad, Erin, Aimee, Judy
Really good. 1949 story of what, unbeknownst to the Captain and crew, would be the last voyage of the Great Grain racers. Author dropped out of a semester abroad while at Dartmouth and heads to Australia to sail the square riggers. Ends up aboard the Pamir, and describes the voyage home....
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2011
Vena
Vena rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2009
Page
Page rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Shawna Fuller
Shawna Fuller rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Robyn Aldridge
Robyn Aldridge rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Mike Prochot
Mike Prochot rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Scofan
Scofan rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Fred
Fred rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Carrie F.
Carrie F. rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Gary Katz
Gary Katz rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2014
Rosalie R
Jan 25, 2010 Rosalie R rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Learned a lot more about large, old sailing vessels and the people who sailed them.
Ioanna
Ioanna rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Donna Good
Jul 17, 2012 Donna Good rated it really liked it
A wonderful tale.
Janice Convery
Janice Convery rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Allen Goetz
Allen Goetz rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2011
Renee Boswell
Renee Boswell rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Fannie
Fannie rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
kelly davis
kelly davis rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Marek Madej
Marek Madej rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Alec
Alec rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2010
Kurstin G
Kurstin G rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014