Start by marking “Waltz of the Scarecrows” as Want to Read:
Waltz of the Scarecrows

Waltz of the Scarecrows

While visiting her grandparents' farm one summer, Sarah helps her grandma and grandpa make scarecrows. Together they stuff old clothes with straw and sew button eyes onto pillow faces. But these are no ordinary scarecrows. Dressed in top hats and tails, ball gowns and gloves, these scarecrows look as if they are ready for a night on the town. And, indeed, they are! Coupled ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books (first published July 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Waltz of the Scarecrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waltz of the Scarecrows

Radio Rescue by Lynne BaraschThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinThank You, Sarah by Laurie Halse AndersonThank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia PolaccoThe End by David LaRochelle
Picture Books for Older Readers
38th out of 48 books — 8 voters
Gathering Blue by Lois LowryUprising by Margaret Peterson HaddixHomeless Bird by Gloria WhelanA Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. BunceNorth and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Garment and Textile
85th out of 136 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
Jun 19, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
GREAT STORY! I'm not a fan of the dialogue (which, IMHO always makes a story unnecessarily longer). The artwork is lovely and gentle and detailed, reminds me of Ted Rand's style, which I have always loved. Awesome perspective through the flock of crows to the ground!

Anyway, this will be a great companion for my scarecrow story package which includes The Scarecrow's Hat by Ken Brown and the Scarebird by Sid Fleishman and of course the Dingle Dangle Scarecrow poem. And Two little blackbirds sittin
Jonathan Hunsberger
Dec 05, 2010 Jonathan Hunsberger rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much i created a "favorite-kids-books" shelf to house it. Rowan asked to read it again right after we finished, which gives me some hope for her taste in books (to counteract all the Daisy Meadows fairy books she wants me to read to her). The illustrations are perfectly integrated with the story and in fact, the illustrations get the last word (so to speak). But don't let me ruin it for you, read it for yourself, even if you don't have kids.
Julia Brumfield
Oct 22, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it liked it
Shelves: children, book
A cute book of one little girl's stay with her grandparents and learning the town's history that has led to formally dressed scarecrow.

The illustrations are beautifully done and realistic. Part of the fun for me was to see where the tuxedo cat would appear next when he did so.

The only part that was a bit off for me was the title. The way it is presented could have been elaborated on more then it was but still the ending was okay.
Barbara
Jul 01, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
If I added all the children's picture story books I've read--well my list would be in the hundred of hundreds. But I want to keep a list of the great ones for future grandchildren and for retelling favorite library books.
This book is perfect. A little girl visiting her grandparents farm help them construct scarecrows dressed to the nines. Why they dress the scarecrows in such finery is the basic plot! Great for my dgc and they are aged 3 to 8.
Patricia
Oct 27, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing
A little girl learns the legend of the waltzing scarecrows from her grandparents. The illustrations and story are appealing. I found myself lost in the story. It is a bit suspenseful and this would appeal to children. This story would interest any primary student.
Jade Detzer
This book is about a memory a girl has with her grandparents. Waltz of the Scarecrows could be used in language arts to teach about memoir and personal narrative. It is also good to use for prediction. The illustrations are also very intriguing and vivid.
Kelley Bennett
Oct 02, 2014 Kelley Bennett rated it really liked it
This is very sweet book about a little girl and her grandparents. It would be a good story to read to young students at Halloween because it isn't scary and doesn't have ghosts or monsters. Could be used for predicting the ending.
Chris
Nov 10, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Loved this one! Love its family history and being able to create a connection between grandparent and grandchild.
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2008
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2009
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Mimi Foxmorton
Mimi Foxmorton rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Joann10
Joann10 rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2009
Marcus
Marcus rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Nichole Attanasio
Nichole Attanasio rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Tracy Morton
Oct 07, 2015 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Appropriate for older children.
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2010
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
lianne frary
lianne frary rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Teri
Aug 17, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall
Good story that illustrates cleverly the need for scarecrows
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Kryptique
Kryptique rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
Kim Piddington
Aug 06, 2013 Kim Piddington rated it really liked it
Imaginative story with beautiful watercolor illustrations.
Elisha Brazeale
Elisha Brazeale rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014