Start by marking “The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon” as Want to Read:

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  97,117 Ratings  ·  2,889 Reviews
Trisha McFarland is a plucky 9-year-old hiking with her brother and mom, who is grimly determined to give the kids a good time on their weekends together. Trisha's mom is recently divorced, and her brother is feuding with her for moving from Boston to small-town Maine, where classmates razz him. Trisha steps off the trail for a pee and a respite from the bickering. And get ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 264 pages
Published February 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published April 6th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, please sign up.

Jan Pelosi It's a psychological thriller, not true horror -- no vampires, rabid dogs, or typical SK stuff

Apr 21, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could say that Stephen King “hits a home run” with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon but that would sound trite and campy.

But what the hell.

King hits a home run, this is a great book.

It’s about a nine year old girl (but big for her age) who gets lost in the woods – and a lot more. This is about fear, deep primal fear that is at the roots of our childhood and never really goes away, just retreats back into a far, dark corner to wait. Most everyone has a memory from childhood when a hand held was su
Aug 15, 2008 Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me begin by saying I am an ardent Stephen King fan and have been since reading "The Stand" back in 1975. First, I like the genre. Second I believe him to be the best story teller alive on the planet today. That being said, even though I have read nearly everything he has written under any pen name, this is the only review I plan to write for the extensive King library.
What is unique about this book was that it barely stepped into the usual worlds of Stephen King. It is a story about how a
Susan May
Sep 04, 2015 Susan May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This isn't a big book, but it's one of my fave Stephen King books. It's brilliantly written and I think any lost-in-the-woods book will pale against it. King keeps his "I digress" waffling moments out of this one. Don't get me wrong I love his waffling most of the time ... it makes for great characters.

The ominous feeling of the little girl being stalked by something unknown is so powerful.

I read this in one sitting. Any reader who thinks Stephen King isn't a literary genius should read this boo
Sep 07, 2011 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: see review
I very much enjoyed this story about a nine 'but big for her age' year-old girl who gets lost in the Maine wilderness. For the most part. So let's get down to it.

What I liked: The girl who loved baseball. Yep, that pretty much sums up why I loved this book. I mean, how can you not love a nine-year-old who loves baseball, in large part because she shared it with her absent-through-divorce father. And maybe I'm a little biased because I was a kid who loved basketball, and then baseball, and then
Warning: Don't Get Skulled........

Being stranded in the mosquito infested woods of the Appalachians is no fun for nine year old Trisha McFarland. With visions of The Thing following her and frightening words from The Cold Voice, her love of baseball and Boston Red Sox closer Tom Gordon is her only salvation.

This 1999 Stephen King audio adventure (narrated by Anne Heche) is not really scary, but is entertaining with one hell of a final pitch!

Mar 02, 2009 Rodney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time, I could buy Stephen King books with confidence it would be a good read.

I think this book is the worst one I've read by King, and maybe one of the worst I've ever read, period. I do not have to words to properly express how crappy this book was.
Edward Lorn
Nov 10, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King completionists
Shelves: 52-in-52-2015
This was my first time reading this book. I know, I'm just as shocked as you are. So why hadn't I, our resident King fanboy, read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon? Well...

I was homeless when it was released. That period of my life was the first of three times I would live on the streets. In 1999, I had successfully alienated myself from my immediate family (my mother and sisters; Dad had moved back to California by this time) due to my abuse of drugs and alcohol, and had moved into an apartment wi
This book was a huge sucker for me. I'm not a fan of horror and only when the planets align themselves properly and when the sun doesn't shine for three days do I ever pick up books from this genre.

Apparently there was a fault in the alignments because I didn't like or enjoy this book one bit. I didn't hate it either but lack of any emotions is just as bad.

The plot sounded quite promising. A girl lost in the creepy woods... what scary things might await her? NOTHING!

Unfortunately, I didn't find
I missed the greatness of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon the first time I read the book. Then, I decided to give the book another go since I hardly remembered the book. That was a wise move. Every step of the way of the book I was with Trisha as she tried to find her way back to civilization. I walked with her, I slept by her side, I suffered with her; I felt her pain when she was sick and hurt and I was with her the moments she listened to the radio, her only joy. She is only nine years old (tal ...more
Thomas Strömquist
Stephen King reading project #35

Safe to say this one did not do it for me. Writing is as good as ever, but this feels like something King should be able to write in his sleep (and he almost sent me there on more than one occasion, the New York Times reviewer that wrote the cover blurb should stay far away from really scary books as to not having to sleep with the lights on for all future).

Can't shake the feeling that SK has written this story before; lost, watched and vulnerable protagonist ech
I really tried to like this book, but it just did not work for me. A girl gets lost in a forest thanks to a woman who is a candidate for "The Worst Mother of the Year" award, and tries to keep it cool while coming to realization that she has no idea where she is or which way to go to find help. She is nine but big for her age but giving her situation, I got to say that she keeps it together, despite her situation. She looks for food, rations her water, and even talks to Boston Red Sox relief pit ...more
Feb 14, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Non-Stephen King Fans
Recommended to Crystal by: My Grandmother (seriously!)
Shelves: stephen-king
First of all, I need to point out that this book is *nothing* like the standard King lineup. Its a refreshing change of pace for his Constant Reader.

Strangely enough, I think Stephen King felt the same way. There's a passion in the lines of this one that almost makes the words glow on the page.

If I were to recommend a Stephen King book to a "fraidy cat" this would be the one. Its not scary, not even really creepy, although it does have some fairly tense scenes.

You'll love this little girl by t
Louise A
Aug 06, 2007 Louise A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - especially girls!
Shelves: greatreads
I love this book. It's one of my favorites of all time. I love Stephen King to begin with, but I think any one - even people who don't like his style or genre typically - would like this book. It's a great, simple story about the power of the human will to survive and the strength of the human spirit - it's bravery, humor, resilience and ingenuity - in the face of great obstacles. It is really a fantastic book for anyone who has, or is, going through a tough time. The plot is very simple - a you ...more
Book Concierge
Book on CD performed by Anne Heche

A young girl who loves baseball (and particularly one Red Sox player) takes a few steps off the path when on a hike through the Appalachian Trail with her mother and older brother. In the blink of an eye, she is lost and trying very hard not to be terrified.

King is a master craftsman and he is never better than when playing on all our childhood (and adult) fears, magnifying them tenfold and letting his (and our) imagination carry us away.

I loved Trisha McFarla
Mar 15, 2015 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really a 'scary horror'. It was more about our imagination, fear and the way we deal with the unknown. I guess in some respects that is more scary than anything. We each perceive and deal with the 'thing' in the book slightly differently. Some of us may dismiss it on a scientific basis, others may be terrified, and others may simply be intrigued and curious.

It was a suspenseful story for me; scattered here and there with moments that were genuinely creepy and others that were quite entertain
First-line-fever: The world had teeth and it could bite you with them anytime it wanted.
Sep 02, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the many things that make this book special is the unexpected way Stephen King can come across in a story. His books live within the horror genre but he transcends it with each story he writes. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is many things in one small book. It is at the same time a coming-of-age story; homage to baseball; an adventure and the battle with fear.

When 9-year old Trisha makes the mistake of stepping off the Appalachian Trail and away from her mom and brother for a pee break, s
john Adams
Dec 04, 2013 john Adams rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed

I give this book two and half stars. By now my love of Stephen King can by found throughout these reviews. This book satisfies most of those requirements. Well written. Quick fun read. Well drawn characters. Scary interesting plot. So I guess the reason that it gets two and half stars is the fact that it is more of a short story than a full length novel. There is simply not that much to it—which is my complaint of all character driven short stories. Character driven short stories simply lack the
Andrew Lennon
Feb 19, 2015 Andrew Lennon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was pretty damn cool wasn't it!
This was the first book my wife ever read by Stephen King and she has been trying to get me to read it for years.
Well finally I have. I'm really glad I did. This is a great story, and Kings writing is so good that you find yourself emotionally attached to Trisha as she makes her long journey.
Definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys reading! If you want to try some King and you're not a big horror fan then this one is perfect for you.

All reviews can be fo
Aug 08, 2016 Carmine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
La purga è servita

Libro letto durante la permanenza - tanto breve quanto trashona - all'ostello da 12 a notte in quel di Genova.
Ecco, diciamo che il libro si è immediatamente allineato al contesto ambientale.
Un freddo e noioso esercizio stilistico condotto da un King che, evidentemente, deve aver scritto l'opera con la famiglia sequestrata ed una canna di fucile puntata alla tempia, perché altre spiegazioni non riesco a trovarle.
L'introspezione psicologica - elemento fondamentale nelle storie di
Recommended by my boyfriend

A suggested alternate title:
How Little Girls Go Pee In The Woods

Believable, maybe. Scary, not really. Entertaining, you betcha!
My first fiction Stephen King read. I read On Writing some time ago and it was pleasing to see him break his own rules:

"She intoned".

Nobody's perfect.
John Wiswell
Mar 04, 2012 John Wiswell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is at least my third time reading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, but the first in about a decade. I’m staggered by how well it’s held up, and how it holds for the same reason it clicked back then. Patricia MacFarland’s tale of getting lost in the wilderness and seeking survival and civilization isn’t special until you add King’s human element. Trisha is what sells this book, not her plight.

One of King’s greatest strengths is to make things you’ve never experienced feel familiar. Here Trisha
Oct 10, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I finally read this book. It took me long enough. And all I can say is Uncle Stevie does it again! He takes a simple scenario and makes you wonder what is real and what isn't? Here you have, 9 year old Tricia McFarland, who's hiking w/ her mom and brother, who loses her way in the woods. Thanks to her spunk, courage and imaginary friend (so to speak) baseball player, Tom Gordon she pushes on. Is she alone in the woods? Or is it just the imagination of a little girl? I wasn't able to put th ...more
Aaron Novelo
Sep 06, 2016 Aaron Novelo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King es el rey de tomar pequeñas ideas y volverlas grandes historias reflexivas.
¿Un carro con vida propia? Una alegoría a las relaciones nocivas y como pueden transformar a las buenas personas en malas.
¿ Una niña con poderes mentales? Una intensa critica a la doble moral religiosa y lo cruel que puede ser el mundo con "los inadaptados.

La chica que amaba a Tom Gordon es la historia de una niña que se pierde en un bosque... y mas, mucho mas.
Trisha es una pequeña niña (aunque aparenta mayo
Sara Williams
“The world had teeth and it could bite you with them anytime it wanted.”

My 3rd Stephen King book.
And so our story begins, about little 9 year old Trisha who drifts away from her mother and brother and gets lost in the woods. Besides that, nothing much happens really. It is a two hundred pages book with vivid (and especially well written) descriptions of the events happening to Trisha during her journey to find a path back to civilization. As before mentioned, King's descriptions are gold and m
Jul 14, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, tight, little book. Tighter than Carrie; more rewarding than Blockade Billy. Of a completely different feel and style than S.K.'s earlier epics, it's hard to imagine this is the same guy who wrote The Dead Zone, although no less impressive.... just different. Perfect for anyone with romantic notions about baseball. I held my breath reading the last few chapters, covered the approaching words to avoid even page-early spoilers. Trisha is a great little character -- strong and savvy an ...more
Daniel Clausen
This was a tough book to get through. I thought that at worst, I would breeze through this and it would be entertaining for a few days. For some reason, every page was a slog for me. I felt just like the main character, lost in the woods, lost. This is probably one of the harshest reviews I've ever written.

Let me try to find some nice things to say:
*The book brought back some memories of the late 1990s.
*Some parts of the book, I genuinely empathized with the main character's plight.
*I applaud
Dunia ini bergigi dan bisa menggigitmu kapan saja.

Trisha McFarland tersesat di dalam hutan saat berjalannjalan dengan Ibu dan Pete, abangnya. Dimulailah petualangan bertahan hidup Trisha untuk keluar dari hutan.

Awalnya saya kira pasti lumayan membosankan mengikuti hanya 1 karakter saja dalam buku setebal 315 halaman, tapi bukan Stephen King namanya kalau tidak membuat cerita yang membuat saya hanyut.

Selama membaca Gadis Penggemar Tom Gordon saya merasa benar-benar seperti bersama Trisha menyusur
Stefan Yates
Apr 26, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
A pleasant surprise from Stephen King.

For years, I had not worried about this being the only Stephen King book that I hadn't read. Many people said that it really wasn't a great book and several said that they had started it but never finished it.

Frankly, I don't know what the problem was. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is a gripping story about a little girl who is lost in the woods. It narrates the trials and tribulations of her journey and struggle to survive on her own in a seemingly unending
  • Blaze
  • Night Visions 5
  • One Door Away from Heaven
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • The Inhuman Condition (Books of Blood #4)
  • The Hellfire Club
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • Creepshow
  • 20th Century Ghosts
  • Shadowfires
More about Stephen King...

“It was like drowning, only from the inside out.” 134 likes
“The world had teeth and it could bite you with them anytime it wanted.” 94 likes