Start by marking “The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #5)

The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  24 reviews

An original e-novella in the acclaimed Typhon Pact series! The Enterprise-E is on a diplomatic mission to the Talarian Republic, the last holdout in the Federation’s efforts to expand the Khitomer Accords in response to the emergence of the Typhon Pact. In the wake of Andor’s recent secession, the Federation is more concerned than ever with strengthening its alliances. The
Published October 4th 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Struggle Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Struggle Within

James Piggott
Depsite the fact that the Star Trek franchise recieved an official reboot back in 2009 the original franchise timeline continues. During the last two years we have seen the expanded universe of TNG, DS9 and VOY dealing with the aftermath of the Borg invasion. These novels and stories contain considerably more drama and emphasize personal development rather than exploring. So far they have been quite to my liking and slowly these storylines are emerging from the post-Borg invasion setting into a ...more
Barry
This eNovella is a short and sweet dip into the Enterprise crew's diplomatic visit to the Talarian Republic - a species first seen in the episode 'Suddenly Human' - and an undercover operation to a Kinshaya planet.

Whilst very short, and some have criticised it for that, the story is a good one and it feels like an episode of Trek in it's execution. The author, Christopher L. Bennett ties things together nicely although the B-story, for me, was more compelling.

The A-story tells how Jono, the char
Michael Bergquist
I was hoping this novella would be as good as the other in the Typhon Pact series... but it was just awful. The storyline had a good concept and a good deal of potential, I'll grant it that. But, only doing a novella did a huge disservice to it. A significant amount of detail was left out, the execution of actions came about entirely too fast, situations were resolved too suddenly...... it was like a 2 hour movie was edited to fit into a 30 minute time slot. It's a quick read, but, I think it ca ...more
Stefan
Star Trek Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within by Christopher L. Bennett, is a good addition to the series with an important underlying moral issue, a good plot-idea but way too short to really exploit the real potential this story could have in a novel, but it also descripts the identity of the Holy Order of the Kinshaya in wider term with interesting parallels to sacred governmental bodies like we have nowadays on earth and the peaceful revolution of the people that occur under such brute politica ...more
Geoffrey
As with the other books in the Typhon Pact series, this book did a good job at fleshing out alien races which previously were little more than names. The main thrust of the book is non-violence and how it can change entire societies for the better. It's well written and entertaining.

But, the book is extremely short - not even 1400 locations - and finished in an evening during commercial breaks. The set-up was good and two interesting problems in two different societies were constructed and then
Lynn Alan Heath
The book gives a glimpes at the intrigue that is going on between the Federation and her allies as an attempt is made to negogiate an expansion of the Khitomer Peace Accords and the Typhon Pact which is beginning to lean to a more moderate stance. Yet, the Tzenkethi Coalition have a special agent on Talar to undermine the Federation's efforts. Meanwhile, Jasminder Choudhury at the behest of Starfleet Intelligence has gone undercover as a Romulan Unificationist. She has taken with her T'Ressa (a ...more
Ross Vincent
An e-novella in the ongoing Typhon Pact series. This latest entry in the series examines the influence Crusher, Choudhury, and Chen have when dealing with an uprising among two key races in galactic politics- Talarians and the Holy Order of the Kinshaya. One could be a valued ally in the growing Cold War with the Typhon Pact, the other, a member of said Pact who’s extremists views could be swayed to a more moderate view. Can the two teams succeed in their missions?

This was a quick little read-
Matthew Bowers
Reread. Closer to 2.5 stars. I like Bennett's novels a lot, but I don't think he knows how to write a novella. This feels rushed, a definite case of telling instead of showing, and not in the elegant Ursula K. LeGuin way (to cite an example from the hard-copy book I'm currently reading). The ideas and characters here are interesting and well-developed, but given the briefness of the novella, Bennett's tendency towards baldly stating his themes is even more pronounced here than it is in his longe ...more
Taynaron
Quick, fun read.
Brendan Waite
Two interesting stories that deserved to be fleshed out more.
If this, I guess, tag-entry to the Typhon Pact series was only ever going to be as short as it is (as an aside, why? It is an e-book, length should be less a factor than a paper book) then concentrating and fleshing out one of the stories would have been the better option.
Both stories, as I mentioned have a good premise, but everything seems to flow too quickly and perfunctorily and gets wrapped up with a nice neat bow at the end.
Christine
Solid ideas, but I think I would have liked this book a bit more if one of the plotlines hadn't focused on two characters I find annoying.

This time Mary Sue moppet T'Ryssa Chen magically revealed her talent for taking control of a planetary communications network at just the right time, while Jasminder Chodhury did more nonviolent pacifist stuff, just what you would expect from a security officer.

Also, Worf is on the cover but barely in the story. Hate it when they do that.
Horst Gutmann
Good story but too short for its price. The story is quite comparable to what you'd get from a single TV episode which would be absolutely fine if it weren't set at only a couple of cents below the price of a full novel.

And I don't really get why Worf is on the cover since, besides Beverly, the main protagonists are Jasminder and T'Ryssa.
Daryl
I felt this ebook was not worth the money. At the price it is, it should be at least double the length, slightly shorter than a full-length novel. As a short read of 80 pages, it should be well under $5. Other than that, it is well-written but found I did not become engaged with the characters; I found them flat. Buy with caution!
Dan
High quality of writing means that I wish the story were longer and more drawn-out. Hardly a negative appraisal, I should think! As it stands, things wrap up a little too quickly.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2011/10/s...
John
Too short to be called a novel, but a fairly compelling little TNG story nonetheless. Centers around two separate political conflicts, both of which are resolved using peaceful resistance. Gandhi would love this one :-)
Bernard Doddema Jr
a waste of my time! as you read this novella you'll notice how it ties into today's political story. at the end the author dedicates the books to the nonviolent protest in Egypt. I guess we didn't watch the same "protests"!
Michael
A very good sequel of the Typhon pact , but it is really a very short ebook. The price for this ebook should be reduced to 50%. When you liked the Typhon pact serie then you are going to like this ebook.
Kristen
I liked this book. I wish I could help more Jono, though. It was nice to see how he has developed so I wish it hade been longer so that there could have been more with him. I always liked that ep of Next Gen.
Alex
A short novella set in the Typhon pact universe and covering the engimatic Kinshaya and the struggles of the Federation to expand the new alliance: the Khitomer Accords. A quick, entertaining read.
Jd
An enjoyable novella length story. I especially enjoyed the development of both the Talarians and Kinshaya. I also liked the way that it dealt with non-violent resistance.
Mark
A nicely written pair of interludes in the Typhon Pact series. Bennett has a good feel for the resonant themes of Trek lore.
Benjamin Plume
A pretty good short form entry in the Typhon Pact series. I was pleased to finally learn a bit about the Kinshaya.
Timothy
For anyone who is reading the typhon pact this is a must read. ebook form only.
Don
Not as good as I wanted it to be but still entertaining.
Jake Vaughn
Jake Vaughn marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Duane Mcconnell
Duane Mcconnell marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Star Trek Reads: Struggle Within 2 20 Jul 28, 2013 05:03PM
Goodreads Librari...: The Fix Within 3 29 Feb 16, 2012 10:25AM
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #2)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #2)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3) Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5) Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #1) Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)