Start by marking “Obadiah the Bold” as Want to Read:
Obadiah the Bold

Obadiah the Bold

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
When Obadiah receives a new spy glass, he dreams of becoming a fearless pirate, but with the help of a prank played by his brothers and sisters and a special present from his father, Obadiah learns the true meaning of bravery. Full-color illustrations.
Published May 1st 2004 by Beautiful Feet Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Obadiah the Bold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obadiah the Bold

The Brothers
Feb 13, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: growing-up, pirates
So a little Quaker boy wants to grow up to become a pirate... What's a family to do? A really interesting story - I haven't come across one quite like it. Kinda strange to read "thee" and "thou" but ultimately fun.

Interesting illustrations.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Oddly, I don't remember much except the name "Obadiah" which lingered in my mind. I'd forgotten that he was a Quaker, which would have fascinated me when I dabbled in becoming a Friend myself.
Josephine
Aug 10, 2011 Josephine rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Obadiah's back, and dreaming of becoming the first "Friendly" pirate EVAR. His older brothers tease him to the point of sulking by playing pirate; tearful in his father's arms, Obadiah discovers that the ancestor for whom he was named is far braver than any pirate: he rounded the Horn several times and brought all his crew home safely every voyage.
Mckinley
Obadiah gets a spy glass and thinks he'll be a pirate when he grows up. It's a sad day when you realize that pirates aren't the good guys.
Stephanie
Dec 15, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I just saw the name "Obadiah" in someone's review of some other book and it sparked a memory. I loved this book when I was a kid! I remember my mom reading it to all of us kids at one time or another. Such a great story!
CLM
Jul 14, 2012 CLM rated it really liked it
Obadiah Starbuck, part of a Quaker family that lives on Nantucket, is inspired by a new spyglass to become a pirate until he learns that his own grandfather was more heroic.
Ami
Dec 22, 2009 Ami rated it liked it
Another book recommended by a woman at Meeting. This one had a little more info about Quaker religion, and was also a little better story.
Pam
Jun 21, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing
One of our favorite reads! I have read this book 100's of times and still love the story
Jayme
Jayme marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Aug 17, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Shana.Jackson90yahoo.Com
Shana.Jackson90yahoo.Com marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Lapus Family
Lapus Family rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Arn Tillman
Arn Tillman rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Laura Verret
Laura Verret rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Caroline A Curley
Caroline A Curley rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
Mar 17, 2016
Christina Lee
Christina Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Tyenstef
Tyenstef marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
The Yellowwood School
The Yellowwood School marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016