An Angel For Solomon Singer

An Angel For Solomon Singer

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A lonely New York City resident finds companionship and good cheer at the Westway Cafe where dreams come true.
Published September 1st 1996 by Scholastic (first published March 1st 1992)

Linda Lipko
This is a wonderful children's illustrated book of a story of Solomon who lives a lonely life in New York City. He resides in one room wherein he cannot change anything, including the paint on the wall.

In his older years, he looks back to growing up in the midwest. Finding NYC challenging and lonely he walks and walks and walks each night envisioning the corn fields and the love of family.

One night, he visits a diner and is served by a smiling, kind man named Angel. With the welcome and goodbye...more
Charles Martin
A touching story about a lonely Midwestern man, Solomon Singer, trying to make a new home for himself in New York City. This book would be great to share with new students, especially those who have moved. Having relocated to Chicago from Iowa, I can relate to Solomon's sadness and loneliness in the big city. In fact, I can remember when I first found a small corner coffee shop with my own "Angel" to make me feel at home. Not just new students would benefit from this book -- I think all students...more
Megan Piero
Although I am not traditionally a fan of Cynthia Rylant's work but I must admit I really enjoyed this story. This story is about an older man who lives in a small hotel with no balcony, no fireplace, no porch, and no pets. He was lonely in the city and at night he would wander the streets dreaming of his days as a boy in Indiana. One night, he stumbles upon the Westway cafe. He meets a waiter with kind eyes and a big smile that makes him feels at home. He continues to return to the diner each ni...more
Rebecca Hipps
I had never heard of this picturebook before and am grateful I encountered it! This book tells the story of a man who dreams of more, and lives in a dim reality. As he finds hope and optimism in a simple café from a friendly waiter, his attitude is transformed and he begins to see his world in a different light. The watercolor paintings carry much emotion throughout the story. In the initial opening, it looks as though Solomon Singer’s world is melting or being washed away. This style continues...more
Vanessa Peavy
Another Cynthia Rylant text full of visualization. Dreaming of life back home makes Solomon dislike his new home in new york city. I really liked this book because it shows you what life is like for those who live alone in a place they dislike. It also shows you how simple things can really make life easy. I would read this book to grades 3-5 because I think higher grade levels would appreciate the story a little more and make connections. I would use this book in my classroom to teach a lesson...more
Rachel Dalton
I will use this book for my lessons on inferring. The reader must take what is written and try to understand the character and why he feels and acts the way he does.
Juso
"An Angel for Solomon Singer" is a wonderful story about an elderly man who is lonely. He lives in a hotel with no balcony, or any other standard feature that comes with an apartment. He roams the streets and thinks about his childhood memories in Indiana. One day, he goes into a cafe, where a waiter catches his eye and they begin to communicate from that day on. At the end of story, the waiter's name is Angel.
As a teacher, I would use this book to address the importance of craft. The author us...more
Amber Adams
This was an excellent book. This tells the story of Solomon traveling to New York City trying to form a new life. This author uses a nice tone in this book. As a reader we can feel how the character feels in a new, big city. The author uses italicized word, colloquial language, and similes. With these combined it helps the reader get into the story and feel connected with the characters. This text can show the children that it is alright to be descriptive and use diverse languages. This promotes...more
Lindsey
This story is about a man that moved from rural land to the city and how he reminisces about living in the rural, country land. I can really relate to this book because I live in the country and I can't imagine ever living in the city and not having the serenity of the country. I would feel just like Solomon does in this book if I had to move to the city.

I would use this book with the strategy of asking questions.
Katrina Yazzie
This book was good. The illustrations looked real. It was about a guy who went to a Cafe every night and dream of his dreams. You should move toward your dreams. The guy wanted things he couldn't have in a hotel room so he just dream of having it. He had no one to love and was lonely and than he went to the cafe. The waiter was nice to him and kept telling him to come back. Keep chasing your dreams, dreams can come true.
Adam Hardesty
This is a great story about a man who has become complacent with his life until he finds a friend in a cafe. Solomon Singer was a very lonely man who dreamed of a bigger fuller life. This is a good story to show just how important personal relationships can be throughout life. It can show kids that it is important to be a good friend and have good friends because one day you may not have them.
Jessica Benson
Carlee
This book was used in class for teaching question of the text. We did the before, during, after activity. Besides the activity, this book would be good to show that dreams look different to everyone. Soloman Singer's dreams came true when he got a friend and was not so lonely anymore.
Priscilla Schelling
This story was very intriguing. We used this story to introduce the strategy of questioning. Inference was also discussed and used with this story. I love how it tells about Indiana without having Indiana as the actual setting. It has a very touching story too.
Jenna
This book is full of questioning. After doing an activity in class, I noticed how many assumptions could be made about this book. It is great for discussions and inferring. I would recommend this book for upper elementary because the storyline may be misunderstood.
Cindy
The story is lovely, but wouldn't be nearly as interesting without the glorious artwork by Peter Catalanotto. The use of reflection and light in this is just amazing and beautiful. A good book to teach about compassion and friendship.
Theresa
Solomon singer is a lonely sad man who does not like where he lives, does not like the city and has no one to love until he arrives at a small cafe and its kind waiter who makes the city not so lonely and makes solomon a happy man.
Dakota Mcintosh
A wonderful story of a man who has moved from the rural midwest to New York City. It is great to do the before, during, and after questions activity. You would be suprised what kind of discussion this book brings up.
Nathan James
A poetic story about a man who finally finds his place in the city after years of yearning over his childhood in Indiana. The paintings have an interesting reflection motif that contributes greatly to the tone.
Alisha Williams
This book has wonderful illustrations. It was a little weird but would be good for the classroom. It would be a good book for infering,but you would need to address and answer a few questions before hand.
Rachel
This picture book follows Solomon who is searching for a way to make his dreams come true. This story is an excellent story for using the questioning strategy: before, during and after reading the text.
Elizabeth Schrank
This story follows a man who is seeking a way to make his dreams come true. It is a great book for teaching questioning. It is especially good for the strategy of before, during and after.
Mckinley
A little friendly kindness goes a long way. Reads like a retelling of a real event, that is biographical. I didn't like the illustrations that much.
Michelle Nero
An old favorite I kind of forgot about . . . just love the story of Solomon and the illustrations are amazing! Great book for questioning.
Sara
This book is about being homesick and finding home once again. I thought it was neat because the main character misses his Indiana home.
Rex Jones
This is a great story about how connection opens us up seeing the good in our surroundings.
Adrian
i just read this book today at school and this is a really great,fantastic book!i loved it!
Amber
This book has such a beautiful message that it gave me shivers. My class loved it.
Taylor Johnson
Great book for asking before duing and after questions. Great illustrationa and story.
Abby Turner
Abby Turner marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • The Memory String
  • The Lotus Seed
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Come On, Rain!
  • Moo Hoo
  • Saturdays and Teacakes
  • Just Plain Fancy
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
  • A Mother for Choco
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • The Hungry Thing
  • The Way to Start a Day
  • My Mama Had A Dancing Heart
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Something Beautiful
  • George Vs. George: The American Revolution as Seen from Both Sides
  • Goin' Someplace Special
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years