Start by marking “An Angel For Solomon Singer” as Want to Read:
An Angel For Solomon Singer

An Angel For Solomon Singer

A lonely New York City resident finds companionship and good cheer at the Westway Cafe where dreams come true.
Published September 1st 1996 by Scholastic Inc. (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about An Angel For Solomon Singer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Angel For Solomon Singer

Ursula
Sep 24, 2016 Ursula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is one that can be read again and again. The themes of friendship and longing are so strong in this book that it is a wonderful book to use for teaching empathy.
Linda Lipko
This is a wonderful children's illustrated book of a story of Solomon who lives a lonely life in New York City. He resides in one room wherein he cannot change anything, including the paint on the wall.

In his older years, he looks back to growing up in the midwest. Finding NYC challenging and lonely he walks and walks and walks each night envisioning the corn fields and the love of family.

One night, he visits a diner and is served by a smiling, kind man named Angel. With the welcome and goodbye
Charles Martin
Feb 18, 2011 Charles Martin rated it it was amazing
A touching story about a lonely Midwestern man, Solomon Singer, trying to make a new home for himself in New York City. This book would be great to share with new students, especially those who have moved. Having relocated to Chicago from Iowa, I can relate to Solomon's sadness and loneliness in the big city. In fact, I can remember when I first found a small corner coffee shop with my own "Angel" to make me feel at home. Not just new students would benefit from this book -- I think all students ...more
R.L.
Aug 26, 2014 R.L. rated it really liked it
I bought this book when my children were little and Peter Catalanotto came to their elementary school as a presenter. Of course all of Cynthia Rylant's children's books are true "keepers". Love them all but this one is about an old man who is alone, and lonely in the big city. He wishes he were back home where he knew people. But every night he goes to the diner and every night he orders up something and includes (but doesn't say it out loud) a wish. Eventually his wish comes true.
Megan Piero
Although I am not traditionally a fan of Cynthia Rylant's work but I must admit I really enjoyed this story. This story is about an older man who lives in a small hotel with no balcony, no fireplace, no porch, and no pets. He was lonely in the city and at night he would wander the streets dreaming of his days as a boy in Indiana. One night, he stumbles upon the Westway cafe. He meets a waiter with kind eyes and a big smile that makes him feels at home. He continues to return to the diner each ni ...more
Rebecca Hipps
Nov 29, 2011 Rebecca Hipps rated it really liked it
I had never heard of this picturebook before and am grateful I encountered it! This book tells the story of a man who dreams of more, and lives in a dim reality. As he finds hope and optimism in a simple café from a friendly waiter, his attitude is transformed and he begins to see his world in a different light. The watercolor paintings carry much emotion throughout the story. In the initial opening, it looks as though Solomon Singer’s world is melting or being washed away. This style continues ...more
Vanessa Peavy
Apr 12, 2012 Vanessa Peavy rated it really liked it
Another Cynthia Rylant text full of visualization. Dreaming of life back home makes Solomon dislike his new home in new york city. I really liked this book because it shows you what life is like for those who live alone in a place they dislike. It also shows you how simple things can really make life easy. I would read this book to grades 3-5 because I think higher grade levels would appreciate the story a little more and make connections. I would use this book in my classroom to teach a lesson ...more
Jana
Oct 01, 2014 Jana rated it it was amazing
I'm looking forward to sharing this book with my fifth grade students. I'll be interested to see what they see as the theme of this story. The illustrations are stunning.
Rachel Dalton
I will use this book for my lessons on inferring. The reader must take what is written and try to understand the character and why he feels and acts the way he does.
Juso
Apr 15, 2013 Juso rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-craft
"An Angel for Solomon Singer" is a wonderful story about an elderly man who is lonely. He lives in a hotel with no balcony, or any other standard feature that comes with an apartment. He roams the streets and thinks about his childhood memories in Indiana. One day, he goes into a cafe, where a waiter catches his eye and they begin to communicate from that day on. At the end of story, the waiter's name is Angel.
As a teacher, I would use this book to address the importance of craft. The author us
Nicole
Apr 20, 2015 Nicole rated it did not like it
For a children's book - I don't understand the great reviews. My son was confused.
Krista
Nov 21, 2014 Krista rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2014
Beautiful story of a lonely older gentleman who is looking for the comforts of home.
Sarah Stumphf
Aug 29, 2014 Sarah Stumphf rated it it was ok
This book kind of made me think it was a commercial for the Westway Cafe.
Stacie
Oct 24, 2015 Stacie rated it it was amazing
A mysterious and gorgeous book about home and friendship.
Amber Adams
Apr 02, 2013 Amber Adams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lit-2, writers-craft
This was an excellent book. This tells the story of Solomon traveling to New York City trying to form a new life. This author uses a nice tone in this book. As a reader we can feel how the character feels in a new, big city. The author uses italicized word, colloquial language, and similes. With these combined it helps the reader get into the story and feel connected with the characters. This text can show the children that it is alright to be descriptive and use diverse languages. This promotes ...more
Katie
Beautiful illustrations.
Matt
Dec 10, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and liked the moral of the story. In the book Solomon is a lonely old man that lives in a simple apartment in NYC. He doesn't like his bleak life in the city and misses the Midwest where her grew up. But one evening he finds his own little slice of home in the city.
Lindsey
This story is about a man that moved from rural land to the city and how he reminisces about living in the rural, country land. I can really relate to this book because I live in the country and I can't imagine ever living in the city and not having the serenity of the country. I would feel just like Solomon does in this book if I had to move to the city.

I would use this book with the strategy of asking questions.
Katrina Yazzie
Apr 03, 2012 Katrina Yazzie rated it liked it
This book was good. The illustrations looked real. It was about a guy who went to a Cafe every night and dream of his dreams. You should move toward your dreams. The guy wanted things he couldn't have in a hotel room so he just dream of having it. He had no one to love and was lonely and than he went to the cafe. The waiter was nice to him and kept telling him to come back. Keep chasing your dreams, dreams can come true.
Adam Hardesty
Apr 01, 2013 Adam Hardesty rated it really liked it
This is a great story about a man who has become complacent with his life until he finds a friend in a cafe. Solomon Singer was a very lonely man who dreamed of a bigger fuller life. This is a good story to show just how important personal relationships can be throughout life. It can show kids that it is important to be a good friend and have good friends because one day you may not have them.
Jessica Benson
Carlee
This book was used in class for teaching question of the text. We did the before, during, after activity. Besides the activity, this book would be good to show that dreams look different to everyone. Soloman Singer's dreams came true when he got a friend and was not so lonely anymore.
Priscilla Schelling
This story was very intriguing. We used this story to introduce the strategy of questioning. Inference was also discussed and used with this story. I love how it tells about Indiana without having Indiana as the actual setting. It has a very touching story too.
Jenna
Sep 17, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it
This book is full of questioning. After doing an activity in class, I noticed how many assumptions could be made about this book. It is great for discussions and inferring. I would recommend this book for upper elementary because the storyline may be misunderstood.
Cindy
Oct 13, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
The story is lovely, but wouldn't be nearly as interesting without the glorious artwork by Peter Catalanotto. The use of reflection and light in this is just amazing and beautiful. A good book to teach about compassion and friendship.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Solomon singer is a lonely sad man who does not like where he lives, does not like the city and has no one to love until he arrives at a small cafe and its kind waiter who makes the city not so lonely and makes solomon a happy man.
Dakota Mcintosh
Oct 04, 2011 Dakota Mcintosh rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A wonderful story of a man who has moved from the rural midwest to New York City. It is great to do the before, during, and after questions activity. You would be suprised what kind of discussion this book brings up.
N W James
Oct 24, 2013 N W James rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 2013
A poetic story about a man who finally finds his place in the city after years of yearning over his childhood in Indiana. The paintings have an interesting reflection motif that contributes greatly to the tone.
Alisha Williams
This book has wonderful illustrations. It was a little weird but would be good for the classroom. It would be a good book for infering,but you would need to address and answer a few questions before hand.
Rachel
This picture book follows Solomon who is searching for a way to make his dreams come true. This story is an excellent story for using the questioning strategy: before, during and after reading the text.
  • The Lotus Seed
  • The Memory String
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Moo Hoo
  • Saturdays and Teacakes
  • Come On, Rain!
  • If She Only Knew Me
  • Tight Times
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • Wallace's Lists
  • Something Beautiful
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • A Mother for Choco
  • My Ol' Man
  • The Hungry Thing
  • Twilight Comes Twice
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...