Start by marking “The Sanibel Sunset Detective” as Want to Read:
The Sanibel Sunset Detective

The Sanibel Sunset Detective (Sanibel Sunset Detective #1)

Tree Callister is not much of a private detective. His first client just turned up at the door and he's twelve years old. What's more, the kid has the grand total of $7 with which to hire Tree to find his mother. Everyone on Sanibel Island, Florida where Tree lives, thinks the former newspaper reporter is out of his mind. His only defender is his wife Freddie, and even she ...more
Published November 25th 2010 by West-End Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sanibel Sunset Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sanibel Sunset Detective

Doug Dillon
Dec 15, 2012 Doug Dillon rated it it was amazing
On very rare occasions, a book strikes me not only for its literary value but also for how it connects with me personally. This is one of those books.

While vacationing recently on Florida’s Sanibel Island, I ran into Ron Base, the author. He was signing books outside of the restaurant where my wife and I had just finished breakfast. After having an enjoyable conversation with Ron, I bought one of his books, the first in his series of three about newbie detective Tree Callister.

The idea of readin
Ron Base
Jun 20, 2011 Ron Base rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Notes On Writing a Novel

In the late 1970s, working as a journalist for a New York syndicate I went down to Murrell’s Inlet, South Carolina to interview the legendary mystery writer, Mickey Spillane.

Beginning in 1947, Spillane wrote a series of hard-boiled paperback novels starring a tough-as-nails private detective named Mike Hammer. Titles such as Vengeance Is Mine and I, The Jury and My Gun Is Quick sold in excess of 180 million copies and created a publishing phenomenon that spawned movies a
Bob
Apr 08, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
Got to meet Ron Base at Bailey's -- one of Sanibel's favorite grocery haunts. He most kindly signed his book. It's a fun read that I went through quickly, which is unusual for me. Ron and his "fearless" detective, Tree, are my kind of people. If you get a chance, you should read it too. Best if read on one of the best places on earth, Sanibel, but good too if you just want to escape here.
Linda Toft
Aug 01, 2012 Linda Toft rated it really liked it
A fun Beach read! I enjoyed the characters. The story line took place on Sanibel Island and used surrounding areas as the backdrop for the intrigue and his investigative adventures. It was all so familiar to me thanks to our many visits there over the years, I felt like I was part of the story! Not your typical gumshoe detective! Can't help but cheer him on and hope he succeeds!
Vic
Mar 17, 2013 Vic rated it really liked it
Ron Base showed he might just be ready to play with the Florida big boys, Carl Hiaasen and Randy Wayne White, with the debut of Tree Callister in The Sanibel Sunset Detective.

Many years ago I discovered Randy White's Doc Ford series while browsing for a good beach read at MacIntosh Books on Sanibel Island. Hoping for another unexpected treat I stopped in the same bookstore on my last visit to Sanibel and noticed The Sanibel Sunset Detective. Could it be true?

Tree Callister, aka, the Sanibel Sun
Steve
Jul 28, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
A 60 year old former newspaper journalist, downsized out of a job and considered a loser by everyone except his wife. Tree Callister opens The Sanibel Sunset Detective Agency and takes on his first client, a 12 year old kid who pays seven dollars for Tree to find his mother.

************

While on vacation, I decided to check out some of the local bookstores and choose a couple books by the local authors from the Sanibel Island area. I quickly decided that Randy Wayne White was too popular, so chos
Reita Pendry
Apr 23, 2013 Reita Pendry rated it really liked it
This book is set in south Florida, a tropical paradise. The crimes are more horrifying because they are set against this lush backdrop. Life should be easy for the Sunset Detective, a retired newspaper man, but his second career as a detective proves that even in paradise, easy is hard to come by. This bumbling, stumbling novice detective manages to worry his wife, anger his friends, tickle the crooks, and still win the day. He's the more lovable for his failings. A great beach read, and even if ...more
Shari
Feb 28, 2016 Shari rated it liked it
I really liked this book especially because we are on Sanibel now while I was reading it. The characters were fun and this was a good beach read. I especially liked the relationship between Tree and Freddie.

February 23, 2016

I met Ron Base again this year and purchased his latest book. I decided since there are about 4 or 5 books in this series I wanted to read them in order. So, I am starting over with the first book, The Sanibel Sunset Detective that I read a few years ago. I remember enjoying
Cat
Feb 08, 2016 Cat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because it was based in a Florida town, and (since I live in Florida) I'm a bit biased for local stories. Honestly, this book could have been based anywhere - IMHO, there wasn't really much that truly said "Florida" to me, other than a reference to the beach, towns I know of (and have visited) were referenced, and descriptions were somewhat what I would expect of those towns.

Having said that, I still enjoyed the book. The plot was interesting, if a bit far fetched. The writ
Miriam
Mar 27, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it
A nice enough book, but there's something of a disconnect between the styles of the climax and the rest of the book. The first 200 pages are the leisurely ramblings of a retiree detective, the last 40 are a gore fest leading to a revenge rampage.
However, the characters are nice and relatable (I especially liked Freddie) and the denouement was set up really well, the foreshadowing was really subtle. All in all, it was a fun holiday read and it's always nice to read something set in a location you
Emmy
Jun 22, 2015 Emmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: florida
This is a good, fun book. The setting is great (and a place somewhat familiar to me, as I come down to this area of Florida on vacations) and I enjoyed the characters. I like that, just like our fictional detective, there were points where I would sort of assume that I had figured out how things were going to go, and this book, like that detective, pulled the rug out from under me and showed that there was much more than I had been giving it credit for. Good fun. I can't wait to read the rest!
Pegbw
Apr 13, 2013 Pegbw rated it really liked it
I bought this book from the author in a grocery store on Sanibel. While it isn't the most graceful read in the genre, it is solid and fun from one end to the other. Pacing is good, characters are attractive. Recommended, if you like modern murder mysteries like Sue Grafton's, or if you are fond of a certain island off the gulf coast of Florida.
Sharon
Apr 14, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
If you have ever vacationed on or near Sanibel Island on Florida's Gulf Coast, you will be intrigued with this story. I read all 4 in the series while wintering there in winter, 2014 and look forward to the next one. You will read about many familiar places and it is a good murder mystery!
Becki Lemmon
Sep 15, 2012 Becki Lemmon rated it really liked it
Great beach read! In fact, read it on the Sanibel Is beach! Thanks Val & Dal for letting us stay at your beautiful FL home. Could not put this book down and was a bit sad when I finished it. But ow see there is a sequel. Onward...
Ruth
Jan 25, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This is a good vacation read. There are likeable characters in a Florida setting. Things wrap up nicely in the end, perhaps a bit too nicely, but it's a good way to end a vacation read. There's another book in the series and I'm tempted to read that one too.
Amanda Engelking
Jul 15, 2015 Amanda Engelking rated it really liked it
Kind of a far fetched plot. I had some trouble with all the different characters remembering who is who. But overall, a fun read, especially after being on Sanibel Island.
Bonnie
Jan 04, 2014 Bonnie rated it did not like it
A beach read and a page turner with not very well developed characters. The page turner part is well done. Keeping the characters believable and interesting needs a bit of work.
LINDAANNMCQUEEN
Mar 08, 2015 LINDAANNMCQUEEN rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the love of Sanibel

4 Star good book good plot good action! AND I didn't figure out the ending! Can't wait to read his other books.
Paul "ricky
Sep 27, 2014 Paul "ricky rated it really liked it
Great simple detective novel. Made me imagine the entire novel like it was a television show or movie. worth the read.
Orud
Orud rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Ann Fleming
Ann Fleming rated it liked it
May 02, 2014
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Leigh
Leigh rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Candy
Candy rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2013
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Tara Christianson
Tara Christianson rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2015
Leonard Hunter
Leonard Hunter rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ron Base was born in Belleville, Ontario, Dec. 9. His bank manager father, Eric, moved the family—mother Jean and younger brother Ric—from Belleville to Cobourg to Picton, and finally to Brockville, Ontario. Here Base finished elementary school and then attended Brockville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School.

He began writing for a weekly newspaper, The United Counties Packet, when he was 15
More about Ron Base...