Atlantis: The Antideluvian World

Atlantis: The Antideluvian World

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  26 reviews
At the center of Donnelly's thesis are a set of similarities between widely separated cultures. This he interpreted as evidence that all civilization diffused outward from a central point: a now sunken continent in the mid-Atlantic. He cites mythological, linguistic, ethnographic & other evidence for this theory, which at the time seemed to add up to an airtight case....more
Published December 1st 2002 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1882)

Fiona Robson
This book was right up my street and provides a very convincing argument that most of the modern wider world, with its myths, religions and customs stem from a common ancestry in an ante-diluvian world.
Erik Graff
Feb 12, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: revisionist history fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sciences
One of the ongoing debates in the study of prehistory, ancient history and the history of religions has to do with the origin of symbols, life-ways and artifacts. When there are similarities, does this mean transmission from one culture to another, an archetypal substratum common to the species or mere coincidence? Donnelly presupposes and favors the transmission hypothesis and sees such correspondences between early cultures as evidence of a common source which he associates with Plato's Atlant...more
Paul
This book was written in 1882. It has a lot of interesting data. The author's premise is that the Deluge/Flood was actually the sinking of Atlantis. Also that most ancient civilizations derived from Atlantis. There are a lot of facts that support some of his ideas, but some of his ideas are real stretches. All ancient cultures (North and South American, Egyption, European, African, Indian, Asian) have the Deluge/Flood mythology. But who knows, it could have bean an asteroid that caused the Delug...more
Robert Palmer
These days there seems to be so much interest in Atlantis, a legendary city first described by Plato in his dialogues, Timaeus and Critias. However, in the modern era, interest in Atlantis was re-ignited by this nineteenth century work by an American Congressman.

I read this book because it apparently indirectly influenced the development of the Nazi Party in Germany (Atlantis plays a prominent role in Nazi mythology of the Aryan "master race"), though Donnelly does not make any of the claims of...more
Matt Kelland
Even though I disagree almost entirely with everything Donnelly has to say about Atlantis, I enjoyed this. He raises a lot of intriguing questions about the similarities between ancient human societies across the world which still have not been satisfactorily explained by modern science. Most interesting were the similarities in myths, suggesting that either we all make up the same stories, or we have common memories of something else.
Vrinda Pendred
This was one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. No, really.

1. You get excerpts from flood stories from every culture in the world (believe me, there are a lot!)

2. You get comparative 'mythology', religion, history and culture.

3. You get a glimpse of how archaeologists / historians thought of these things 100 years ago, when it was all first coming to the surface.

4. You can see the scary turn racism took in the first half of the 20th century. For me, that was interesting. Terrifying,...more
Tamer
Jul 21, 2007 Tamer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i'm quite sure this must be a hell of a book. i've got the soft copy but it's really annoying reading on the screen, i'd love to own the original thou i know it may cost a fortune.
Lauraley Dilgard
I read this book twice the first time several years ago. When I couldn't find my book I ordered it and read it again I found it so interesting I really learned a lot.
Nox Prognatus
This was a very interesting work. Donnelly was not an expert in his field. And has obviously done a lifetimes research and reading to present the facts laid out in his work. I particularly enjoyed how he tried to show various cultures have evolved from Atlantis with evidences to support his hypothesis. I liked the way he showed similarity between various language types and how they could evolve from one to the other. For example, he makes similarities betwwen the Mayan and Phoenecian languages....more
Victoria Adams
So, this week we are back with a bang reviewing interesting and, perhaps, rather obscure texts on subjects of interest. I have chosen to review two titles together primarily because they represent the foundation of modern thought on that mystic island in the sea, Atlantis. Each has a slightly different perspective. If you are truly interested in Atlantis and lost civilizations, these books provide much food for thought.

The “book that started it all” was entitled Atlantis, The Antediluvian World....more
James Violand
Jun 29, 2014 James Violand rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: own
Somewhat dated based upon the exploration of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, but modern science has yet to preclude the possibility of an ancient civilization. Why else would all world cultures have a tradition of the Great Flood if it hadn't occurred somewhere in man's collective memory? This book started our fascination with the antediluvian world.
Jerry Costa
THIS BOOK. IS TERRIBLE. IT JUST KEEPS REPEATING ITSELF

I HATED IT SAME POINTS OVER AND OVER
THE AUTHOR DIDN'T NEED TO KEEP REFERENCE THE SAME POINTS OVER AND OVER
Tom
Don't read it if you want to be compelled.
Edward Barnett
Very informative and well researched. Reading Atlantis: The Antediluvian World by Ignatius Donnelly
gives me even more reason to believe that the story of Atlantis and the Bible's story of the Flood are actually the same catastrophe. I enjoyed it very much!

I wrote a brief note on this on my Facebook page for further reading go there: https://www.facebook.com/notes/doc-ed...

Christopher Carey
The book that launched the nineteenth century Atlantis craze. Its arguments are now wholly invalid, but Donnelly's "bricoleur" approach (to use Claude Levi-Strauss's term) is absolutely fascinating. Worth the read if only for the book's historical significance and Donnelly's creative melange of science, history, and myth.
Brien
An interesting grouping of theories about origins of our world and how all things lead back to Atlantis. I enjoyed his guesswork for a 19th century scholar. Originally read it for research for some stories I intended to write, but I have now shelved my work since the show 'Lost' has hit the airwaves.
Ashley
While the author assumes more than he should have from "links," so to speak, between cultures, custom and folklore, and also demonstrates huge gaps in his reasoning, I find his theories compelling. However, about 150 pages from the end, it just got boring for me.
Justin McDonald
Timeless. A great overview of 19th-century occult thought, with some startling insights. Interesting research about North-American mound builders and the role of copper in pre bronze-age civilization. Not too sure about the banana theory, though.
Harvey Harper
It was pretty boring, but probably the best book on the subject - definitely the best book I've read on the subject. I read another (don't remember the name), but after Plato's passage it got heavily into crystal magic and sun worship.
Beth Barany
I found this book quite interesting and convincing. I did stop reading about 75% through because Donnelly got repetitive. I'll probably go back and finish the book at some point to see if there are a few nuggets he drops.
Meiihua Lakkanapinij
even tho, this is for my assignment in Greek&Roman history class but I can say that
it's a fun read and really easy to understand
great work and resource on ATLANTIS
Kendra Hendrickson
While an interesting source for those interested in the history of science, the book is not very compelling and the writing is tiresome.
Peter J.
Very interesting and thought provoking
Jacci
Jacci marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
NIKKI LUKENBILL
NIKKI LUKENBILL marked it as to-read
Deidre
Deidre marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
  • From Atlantis to the Sphinx
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating  the Origins of Human Knowledge & Its Transmission Through Myth
  • Uriel's Machine
  • Heaven's Mirror: Quest for the Lost Civilization
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race - The condensed edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
  • The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • Worlds in Collision
  • The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold
  • Technology of the Gods: The Incredible Sciences of the Ancients
  • Timaeus/Critias
  • The 12th Planet (Earth Chronicles, #1)
  • The Gold Of The Gods
  • Ancient Mysteries
The Destruction of Atlantis: Ragnarok, or the Age of Fire & Gravel (Anthropology & Folklore) The Great Cryptogram; Francis Bacon's Cipher in the So-Called Shakespeare Plays Ragnarok:  The Age Of Fire And Gravel Doctor Huguet Caesar's Column: A Story of the Twentieth Century