Start by marking “Anchored (Belonging, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anchored (Belonging, #1)

Anchored (Belonging #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  931 ratings  ·  176 reviews
This edition is no longer available.

Network news anchor Daniel Halstrom is at the top of his field, but being at the bottom of the social ladder--being a slave--makes that hard to enjoy. Especially when NewWorld Media, the company who's owned him since childhood, decides to lease him on evenings and weekends to boost their flagging profits.

Daniel's not stupid; he knows the
Published May 29th 2011 by Noble Romance Publishing, LLC (first published January 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Anchored, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anchored

Aleksandr Voinov
A solid 4.5 stars that contains some absolutely haunting violence (including a rape). But it's not just the sex and the tautly controlled sexual tension - Haimowitz creates a world that's not all that different from ours. While people can be slaves and our protagonist is owned by his news channel (he's the anchor man), it's also a world where people read "Wall Street Journal" and "The Economist". This resonates for everybody who's ever been treated by a corporation like their property (so probab ...more
Isa K.
Revised 7/13/2012

I have for some time wanted to rewrite this review. There are two books that have left me feeling so betrayed and so disgusted that I completely snapped and in my resulting review crossed a line I had drawn for myself into unnecessary harshness and capslock rage. This is one of them.

I read this book back when I was still pretty new to American commercial M/M ... I was not new to M/M itself, I was just better versed in Japanese M/M, GLBT fiction and fanfiction. What I know now is
Steelwhisper
1.5* rounded up. Review to follow.

Oookay...

This was lame, uninspired, tropey, predictable, illogical and unbelievably boring. I was close to not finishing this several times, simply because I nearly fell asleep over it. It gets the half star exclusively *because* I finished it and because it contained few SPaG errors.

Contrary to the assumption of some of my GR friends I wasn't in any way disgusted or inconvenienced by the non-con in this book. Given that this is an AU containing slavery, why sho
Emma Sea
Wow.

Compared to this, Power Play looks like putti, bunnies, and kittens.

This is a true Orwellian dystopia.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever . . . They can't get inside you," she had said. But they could get inside you . . . There were things, your own acts, from which you could never recover. Something was killed in your breast: burnt out, cauterized out." (1984: read it)

That's the paradigm in which this book sits. Be warned.

Wow.
Betryal
The story was very interesting, out of the ordinary to what I'm used to reading and way out of the box. I would say it borders on a 4.5 rating, but I'm still stunned and a little detached from this book by the vivid cruelty and details of the multiple rape scene that poor Daniel had to endure. This story is in no way a romance if that's what you're hoping to gain here with this one. It's slavery, it's control over other human beings and I wouldn't even say this is D/S.

It makes me come to realiz
Jenre
Fantastic, gripping and emotionally compelling story set in an AU where slavery is the norm. The plot follows slave Daniel who is owned by a media company and is a successful anchorman for their news programme. When the company start to fall on hard times they 'rent' Daniel out as a companion to a competitor for a large sum of money. Daniel is terrified of intimacy with Carl, which leads to repercussions for both men.

The narrative is in the first person from Daniel's point of view, something whi
Danny Tyran
I would like to be able to better write in English to express correctly what I felt while reading this book (my mother language is French and my English is not very good ...). I can at least try to say what is essential.
I was unable to read the rape scene at once. I had to do as the main character and remind myself that I had to breathe. My blood pressure climbed to levels not felt for ages. One might even say that I had lost vision at some point. I just think that my mind was trying to escape f
Kassa
Well written but so violent I couldn't stand it. I skimmed to the ending and glad I didn't finish. The pseudo happy ending isn't enough payoff for me. Great writing but not for me.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
4.25 Kinda Fucked-Up Stars

I’ve been waiting for this book for FOR-EV-VER. Shortly after reading, and falling in love with, Power Play by Ms. Haimowitz I asked a GR friend for recs similar and she suggested this. Yeah, it was out of print. This friend went the extra mile and contacted Ms. Haimowitz who said she was reworking it and to sit tight. I’ve been sitting tight. FOR-EV-VER! Then POOF! a couple weeks ago there it was at the top of the Riptide email saying it was going to release in like a
JaHy♕ Bitchy  Goddess ♥'s  everything CrAzY  ☿
**** 2.5 "HAD POTENTIAL" STARS****

..... If only Daniel wasn't afraid of his own shadow......... THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE BOOK!

Actually, the storyline was rather odd, but I would have looked past it, had there been more/better smutty scenes.....yup, I own it :-)
Sara
Ugh this book fucked with my brain. So much that I can’t think straight and I cried at the end of it. Who does that? Me, that’s who.

So this book, it’s one that I heard was a tough read, a brutal read and one folks seemed to stay away from. Having read the author before, I decided that I would see for myself what it was all about. You know what? This book was sad. It was so sad and broke my heart over and over again and I am tearing up as I write this damn review.

I admit I held my breath reading
Vivian
I love the writing and the alternate reality setup. Then again, I like dystopian. It is a harsh world where capitalism has taken the extreme and everything has a bottom line, including people. Profits fall and need to be made up in other ways--how about leasing individuals rather than just sales?

I actually scared myself something serious before I read this, and this is not light and fluffy, but it is not the horror I thought it would be from the chatter.

Now, the characters: Daniel and Carl.
Danie
CAS
Jul 10, 2011 CAS rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CAS by: Anchored Blog Tour: Book Reviews – by Kari Gregg and Bryl R. Tyne
Shelves: mtt, in-print, signed-copy
This is one of the most intensely compelling and emotionally driven stories I have ever had the pleasure to read. Not only has the author crafted a very unique and unusal world she has taken it one step further with her equally impressive ability to draw the reader into the very heart and soul of the story in such a way that feels somewhat voyeuristic., you don't dare to even blink.

As I read this I experiened quite possibly every emotion known to man. I felt such an overwhelmingly helpless sen
Star
Well-written and moving -- my heart was pounding in my chest at 2am. But also absolutely brutal -- I was flinching away from my kindle while reading. So I'm not sure whether my physical reactions to these written words were symptomatic of the excellent writing or the horrifying subject matter (or both). This is both a denigration and glorification of slavery and rape.

All of this is to say -- I'm not sure how to rate this, so I'm going with my conscience.
T.A. Webb
I usually find value in anything I read, but this was a painful exercise just to finish this book. It was written well, I suppose, but I could not bring myself to care about any of the characters in this world. None had any redeeming qualities, and the gratuitous rape scene left me high and dry. If the main character had found "love" it might have been bearable, but even his main relationship was still just as a purchased piece of ass. The only way I could change my mind about this would be if a ...more
rameau
After reading Counterpunch I decided to try reading Rachel Haimowitz’s take on the modern world with ingrained slavery.

Short version: I prefer all things British.

Long version:

Make no mistake, this is an erotic BDSM novel, and not a romance. For a moment I thought about giving this book an extra star for not romanticising the Master and slave dynamics but then I stopped to think about all the other things I found disturbing and decided not to.

Counterpunch worked, for me, because Brooklyn had bee
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
First you should know I generally like some non consent or dubious consent in my books, particularly BDSM. This one fit the bill to a T. The characters were rich, vibrant and full of nuances that made them stand out to me as individuals in a crowd. The prose is top notch - clear, unambigious, perfectly suited to the tone of the book.

There are several things I have noted about the author (having read and loved her Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen) ) which is more fantasy based and also a recomme
Kari Gregg
Diane
I love slave fic and the world building here is a fresh approach, but there is a major inconsistency that kept pulling me out of the story.

Daniel was supposed to have been born a slave, yet he reacts to everything from the perspective of a free person who is being subjected to a slave’s life.

For example, he complains about having a lack of privacy, but if he never had privacy, he couldn’t miss it (and it won't be on his mind all the time) because it won’t be an expectation he ever had for himse
Connie Cat
I may owe Rachel an apology. I read this book about a year ago and it didn't work for me then. I think I may have only skimmed it and gave it 2 stars. It came up on my feed this week and I decided to re-read it. Well, this time it really caught my attention. I especially loved the h/c with Carl and Daniel after Daniel is brutalized. I would love to give this book 5 stars but I feel like it is unfinished. Since it was written in 2011, I don't believe there is a sequel coming. I would love to read ...more
AmyI
Well, that was intense. Geez, what a story! Not an easy one to read. My heart ached for Daniel and all he had to go through. He was not a very good slave. And boy did he pay the price. And Carl was a good man. Mostly. He was kind and patient with Daniel and treated his slaves well. I don’t read a lot of fantasy, but this one was very well done. Lots of feelz. I think I need to go to my happy place and read some fluff now.
Feliz
Can't rate this.It surely was an intense read,engrossing and well-,at times even briliantly written.But too much to stomach for me.And I hate the "sex with the right partner heals rape victim fom his trauma" trope.
The world building had me totally convinced while reading; only afterwards I realized the big "huh?" of why this society needed slaves in the first place. In hindsight,it didn't make any sense at all...
kimosuMiko
4.5stars

Second book read for the BDSM group May 2015 Orgasm Play Challenge, personal theme: non-con.

The master froze, panting slightly, soft breaths puffing across Daniel's mouth, and with the utmost care he placed another small, dry kiss upon Daniel's lips. He asked for nothing more, took nothing more. It didn't feel like being used, Daniel thought. It felt, shockingly enough, like being loved.
This definitely would have been a full 5star read if there had been a bit more to it, as I kept thin
Wart *Rainbows, beauty, and death* Hill
Read this and other reviews at Things I Find While Shelving

WARNING THIS REVIEW CONTAINS DISCUSSION OF RAPE

DNF at 84%

[I received a free ARC of this book via NetGalley. This fact has no bearing on my review.]

Carl Whitman is either a total idiot or willfully ignorant, neither of which are good character traits for someone I'm supposed to want Daniel to wind up with. He's also leasing Daniel from his owners, so that's definitely not someone I want Daniel winding up with - no matter what a "good" mas
orannia
Neyjour
Wow! This was a really gripping, intense and emotional book, set in a very, very scary (if you're a slave) alternate universe. It sucked me in from the first few paragraphs and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I ended up reading the entire thing in one sitting...I just could not put it down. Several parts had me in tears and my stomach was all tied up in knots throughout 98% of the story.

The reason why I didn't give it a full 5 stars is because it left me with some unanswered questions and
Lesleyw
Heidi Belleau
Ridiculously good. Tense, emotionally compelling, treated its subject matter with due gravitas. My heart broke for Daniel over and over. I loved that the ending didn't take the obvious way out. It was a happy ending, but a happy ending limited by its setting, which I absolutely loved. Speaking of the setting, it was just detailed enough for me to get a sense of how well developed the world is without being bogged down by infodumps. The story read like this truly was a microcosm of something bigg ...more
Reena Jacobs
Jul 13, 2012 Reena Jacobs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kitty Thomas fans who like M/M erotica.
Shelves: 2010-reads, reviewed
Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2011/01/n...

First thing I found was Anchored is set in an alternative time-line where slavery is prominent in the present world. Hmm… that was different and enough to keep me reading. Okay, so this was a fictional piece of work. However, reading about slavery in history books in the classroom truly doesn’t do justice to what it means to be a slave. Ms. Haimowitz did an excellent job of showing the classes, privileges, and rights
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
This was a gripping, emotionally intense and compelling read that put me through the wringer right along with the characters. The alternate universe the author crafted was as fascinating as it was nightmarish and gave me the shivers time and again.

The writing is great which comes through even more strongly in those outstanding emotional scenes that kind of dominate the book. There is some awful violence in the story and these scenes are powerful in their emotional impact, due also to some well-d
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Spoils of War (Spoils of War, #1)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers, #3)
  • That's What Brothers Do
  • Under Contract
  • Uneven
  • Waiting in the Throes
  • Forgotten
M/M erotic romance author, freelance writer and editor, sadist with a pesky conscience, shamelessly silly, proudly pervish. I'm a twitter addict (@rachelhaimowitz), and I blog every M/W/F at Fantasy Unbound. To learn all about my current and upcoming projects, please stop by my website. I love to hear from folks, so feel free to drop me a line anytime at metarachel (at) gmail (dot) com.
More about Rachel Haimowitz...

Belonging (3 books)
  • Where He Belongs (Belonging, #0.5)
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1) Resistance (Power Play, #1) Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2) The Flesh Cartel #1: Capture Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)