Start by marking “Learning to Breathe Again: Choosing Life and Finding Hope After a Shattering Loss” as Want to Read:

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  142 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Follow Christian singer/songwriter Tammy Trent as she tells of her beautiful love story turned tragic, still pointing to God as the source of all life and hope.

Theirs was a fairy-tale romance. Her husband, Trent, was Tammy's best friend and business manager. While vacationing in Jamaica in 2001, a routine free diving excursion in the Blue Lagoon turned drastically tragic w
Published May 28th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Breathe Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Breathe Again

Vee
Oct 28, 2008 Vee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE
I can’t believe I haven’t put this on my list yet!!!
I think around 2003 Tammy Trent came to our church and gave us her testimony. I immediately dashed off to the library to get this book and was wrapped up in it. I read it one afternoon. (It usually takes me FOREVER to read a book)
Such a beautiful story of faith, love, and hope. When she didn’t know where Trent was but knew something awful had happened, she did what she was always trained to do. She sang and cried out to the Lord like a soldier
Donna Gower
Overall I enjoyed the book. I loved hearing about their love story and getting to know their families. But there wasn't enough substance about how she healed after her loss, and so I felt the title was misleading. She talked only a little of taking time off from her career (which most of us can't go) and spending time with those closest to her. But then it was just over. Did she go to therapy? Do special things in her church? How did she recover? I was disappointed with that; it is the main reas ...more
K Loh-Crouch
Apr 22, 2007 K Loh-Crouch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book after hearing Tammy Trent's moving testimony at Women of Faith. It inspired me to cherish my loved ones more. I was impressed by her response to tragedy...not a fake, happy all the time response, but a real grief and leap of faith.
C.C. Thomas
Apr 26, 2013 C.C. Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is one of the most heartbreaking and inspriational stories I have read in a long time. It is a Christian inspiration memoir but you don't have to be a Christian to appreciate the story. While I don't normally read this kind of book, the story of her experience was so fascinating.

Tammy's life growing up was no fairy tale. Abandoned by her father, she desperately yearned for affection from her stepfather but he was often cold and distant and her mother just didn't seem to care. Tammy turned t
Julie Stevenson
I read this book many years ago and decided to pull it out and read it again. Tammy gives a beautiful tribute to her amazing husband Trent and shares her unwaivering faith in God. This book is a true gem! A must read!
Maura
Feb 26, 2009 Maura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is seriously amazing!!! It shows that no matter what happens you can get through anything with God. Just seeing how Tammy can go from loosing her husband then to 9/11, and then not having her family therw with her, shows how God has a plan for everything. This book will make you cry and laugh!
Rachel
Jan 11, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother in law gave me this book. It was intriguing because it was the story of her husband's death...And he went missing on the day before 9/11. It was written very simply and not necessarily good literature, but it kept me captivated.
Kim
Feb 16, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book! She is very inspirational. The heartache this woman has gone thru and the faith she had to help her thru the days to come was very powerful. You can feel it as you read it. Took me one day to read this.
Linda
Jul 14, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard Tammy Trent's story many many years ago at a Woman of Faith conference - oh my goodness, I have rarely cried so hard - such a deeply sad story - yet she will inspire you! A must read!
Marsha
Jun 24, 2008 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marsha by: Amy Maze
Wow - excellent book especially after hearing about her story from a friend who heard her speak at a conference
Dee Sun
Jun 21, 2015 Dee Sun rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The full title sounds like a " how to book" but it is not . It is a story of Tammy Trent's loss.
Juliana Marie
Jun 23, 2009 Juliana Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most heart-touching book I have read in a while. Tammy's story is truly a gift.
Suzanne
Mar 04, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartbreaking story of love, loss, and hope. I really connected with Tammy and her story.
Sheree
Oct 10, 2008 Sheree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, difficult, heart-wrenching, inspiring read.
Sep 13, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tragic Story. Beautiful Message. I love tammy!
Gjerilin
Oct 14, 2013 Gjerilin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for me right now.
Sharon
Jun 09, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational!
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2016
Laurel Carty
Laurel Carty rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Katlin
Katlin rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Colleen Krueger
Colleen Krueger rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Candis Vlasek
Candis Vlasek rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Monica Harr
Monica Harr rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Laura B. Stuart
Laura B. Stuart rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Broken on the Back Row: A Journey Through Grace and Forgiveness
  • I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God
  • A Search for What Makes Sense: Finding Faith
  • I Still Believe: A memoir
  • The Road to Unafraid: How the Army's Top Ranger Faced Fear and Found Courage through Black Hawk Down and Beyond
  • Made to Crave for Young Women: Satisfying Your Deepest Desires with God
  • Praying for Strangers: An Adventure of the Human Spirit
  • Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories
  • Out of Mormonism: A Woman's True Story
  • Evangelism Handbook: Biblical, Spiritual, Intentional, Missional
  • Spiritual Warfare for Women: Winning the Battle for Your Home, Family, and Friends
  • Less Clutter. Less Noise.: Beyond Bulletins, Brochures and Bake Sales