Start by marking “Let America Be America Again: And Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Let America Be America Again: And Other Poems

Let America Be America Again: And Other Poems

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A Vintage Original

“I believe in an America in which opportunity and justice truly are for all. That was the essence of the life an poetry of Langston Hughes.”—Senator John Kerry, from the Preface

A beautifully designed collection of some of the greatest poems by a quintessentially American poet, whose theme of the promise of American inclusiveness continues to ring true.

Lan
Published August 10th 2004 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Let America Be America Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let America Be America Again

Cheryl
I've owned this collection for years. Every other year I clean my bookshelves, come across it, open it, and re-read aloud (because the quiet reading of poetry is never fun). This collection doesn't showcase Hughes' work, but it highlights his patriotic and political pieces.
Paula
I'm not marking this down because of the poems included here; far from that, since I've been a Langston Hughes fan for a long time. It's the politics that bothers me somewhat.

Granted, I bought and first read this about four years ago, so I think I was simply being supportive in a way. But when I reread the preface, I realized the irony of promoting "unity" in America by using, probably without payment of any sort, the poems of a deceased black American to promote a white senator's run for the pr
Tetyana
Absolutely beautiful. America never was the land of the free, or provided liberty and justice for all. But that does not mean it cannot still be that.
Rosie
I'm not exactly patriotic so this collection of poems didn't really strike me as meaningfully as maybe some of his other works would. Hughes' style is interesting and I think he's got a lot more to say than the little that was collected in this volume.
Sarai Lillie
Feb 06, 2013 Sarai Lillie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone!
Recommended to Sarai by: My love of Langston Hughes
Gorgeous piece of literary brilliance on the part of Mr. Hughes. I don't think I've ever enjoyed something quite so beautiful as this small volume. Of course, I'm a bit biased, as I adore Langston Hughes.
Boorrito
Would be better if it wasn't prefaced by some guy who ran for President in 2004.
Karen
Freedom, democracy and the American Dream by one of our greatest poets.
Yhazzzzz
Yhazzzzz marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Candi Jayne
Candi Jayne marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Anu
Anu marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Wayne
Wayne is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Madden Swan
Madden Swan marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Samira Perry
Samira Perry marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Jackinator
Jackinator marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Langston Hughes was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form jazz poetry. Hughes is best known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance. He famously wrote about the period that "Harlem was in vogue."
More about Langston Hughes...
The Collected Poems Selected Poems The Ways of White Folks Not Without Laughter The Best of Simple