The 20% Doctrine: How Tinkering, Goofing Off, and Breaking the Rules at Work Drive Success in Business

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An inspiring exploration of how unorthodox business practices and the freedom to experiment can fuel innovation

We're at a crossroads. Many iconic American companies have been bailed out or gone bankrupt; others are struggling to survive as digitization and globalization remake their industries. At the same time, the tectonic forces disrupting U.S. corporations—ubiquitous b...more
Published April 17th 2012 by HarperBusiness (first published January 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The 20% Doctrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 20% Doctrine

Valentín
Not a particularly well written book, it explores with some liberties its main premise but sometimes fails to show how these stories of success are replicable. It is clear that the author goes a great length to show that all of these projects are somehow connected but that doesn't seem to be always the case.

In spite of those remarks, it's a great read for anyone interested in knowing where all the hackathon frenzy comes from and why the entrepreneurial culture is so eager of embracing what they...more
Lucas
Early Stage - Building Identity

In the early stage of a side project, you're inspired by a new idea, evaluate that idea, refine it, and begin work. Your experiments are frenzied, your potential seems limitless, and your idea is highly vulnerable to dying as a result of fear, boredom, and neglect.

-Scratch your own itch. Thomas Keller (chef) was inspired to build Ad Hoc because he wanted to relive the old days, when, as he put it, "you work five days a week with the same people every day and you ta...more
josh
Aug 13, 2012 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: creatives who feel constrained, those that want to do things a better way
Recommended to josh by: shelf @ UAPL
interesting read. most of the projects highlighted took place as side projects inside established brands though. of the major projects highlighted, Flickr was the only one that really took place outside of a well established organization such as Google, Yahoo!, NYC Schools or Thomas Keller Restaurant Group (yes, Twitter was mentioned along with its origins - but it was not one of the major, in-depth case studies).

the Huffington Post case study was particularly bothersome to me as an individual...more
Michael Greenberg
I read this book as research for a project at work. It covers some of the principles in common to a few different side projects (Google, Huffington Post, etc) but the case studies, with the exception of Google, are at best loosely tied to the main premise.
Eric Rickey
This supported the concept that innovation has space to develop within time left available for playing around with ideas, new designs and new ways of working. We must be careful not to schedule ourselves too tightly to current processes, projects and points of interest. Future innovations depend on unplanned discoveries.
DeLace Munger
It was a good read and it was fun to see what goes on in industries other than my own but I found it very difficult to apply any of the suggestions to my career. It's worth it to know that freedom and innovation go hand in hand. I think it'd be a good read for anyone in the software industry or anything internet related.
Scribbler
Quick and easy read. Nice story-telling style for the examples (e.g. particularly Huffington Post's "Off The Bus" initiative) interwoven with some basic practical advice to chew on. I will definitely be sharing some of these principles with my team as we seek to crank up our innovation.
Emily Leathers
Not a bad book, but also nothing terribly exciting. I might come back to it at some point just for the completionism because I didn't dislike it - but on the other hand I have so many other things I'd rather learn.
Todd

Enjoyed generally but the last two chapters have little to do with an actual 20 percent policy as interesting as the ideas are.
Tim Woods
Tim Woods marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Ben Williams
Ben Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Achirinos
Achirinos marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
J C
J C marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Erik Ferrari
Erik Ferrari marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Christopher Bradford
Christopher Bradford marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Franco
Franco added it
Jul 10, 2014
Jim Novak
Jim Novak marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Pedro Anisio
Pedro Anisio marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
David Sky
David Sky marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Hugo
Hugo marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Mindblender
Mindblender marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Dennis Woo
Dennis Woo marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Charles Baker
Charles Baker marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Marc BREVIERE
Marc BREVIERE marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Michael Greenberg
Michael Greenberg marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014