Start by marking “The Secret Handshake: Mastering the Politics of the Business Inner Circle” as Want to Read:
The Secret Handshake: Mastering the Politics of the Business Inner Circle

The Secret Handshake: Mastering the Politics of the Business Inner Circle

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In The Secret Handshake, top corporate consultant and USC management professor Kathleen Reardon explores and reveals the hidden rules on the ins and outs of corporate politics that you won’t find outlined in any employee handbook.
Based on hundreds of candid interviews with executives at Fortune 500 companies who have achieved their goals and joined the inner circle, The S
Published May 25th 2011 by Crown Business (first published January 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Handshake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Handshake

E
Informed guide on how to use politics to get ahead

In 1513, Niccolò Machiavelli wrote The Prince, the classic work on how to acquire and maintain power through the ruthless use of insidious politics. Machiavelli argued that when it comes to politics, morality is passé, and hypocrisy and deceit can be eminently useful. Nearly 500 years later, management expert Kathleen Kelley Reardon introduces her own book on the subject of politics and how to use political techniques to get ahead. She details th
Jill
Interesting exploration of workplace politics and how to negotiate one's way within various settings. Although not a major focus of the book, this excerpt has stayed with me for weeks: "While both men and women need to be competent to be promoted, there's a greater tendency to promote men on potential and women on their track record."
Marcus
Decent discussion of corporate politics and how to avoid being sidelined. Encourages one to understand the politics of their organization and embrace politics as a tool to getting ahead. Good examples of how to diffuse conflicts and manage conversations. Prefer the Career Warfare books by D'Alessandro
Lawrence Carrington
You don't have to like office politics... but you must be aware of them if you want to (a) keep your job and (b) thrive in your career.
This book will help you understand the style of your organization, and how your personality will fit in (or not, and what you can do about it). A must read.
Joseph Santiago
I found this book somewhat revealing for some of the organizational cultures I have encountered. Had some good ideas for these competitive times but it did get dry in places. It is worth the read as I have never encountered another book like it.

Charlie
Interesting book. I read it for my politics class and it gave me insight into how to read people and build better working relationships with them. Though, I will say there are some things I don't agree with but that could just be me.
Vsy
Excellent book, very practical, does not have the touchy-feely, politically correct, "let's love each other" approach that others books on teh sane theme have. A must-read for the politically savvy wannabees
Lori Grant
A should-read book on office politics which will happen to you and around you whether you participate in politics or not.
Brandon
Had some food for thought and some good ideas but still a rather cynical view of career development
Benita
Wish I had read this book a long time ago! Read for our Power and Influence class.
Wanda
I wish I had known years ago what I am learning from reading this book!
Intidhar
Intidhar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Aleece
Aleece marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Jeremy Barton
Jeremy Barton marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Judith Coley
Judith Coley marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Jennie Z
Jennie Z marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Chutchapol Youngwiriyakul
Chutchapol Youngwiriyakul is currently reading it
May 30, 2015
Kathleen Wissel
Kathleen Wissel marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Harry
Harry added it
May 15, 2015
Princeton
Princeton marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Yekaterina
Yekaterina marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hardball for Women
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • High Stakes, No Prisoners : A Winner's Tale of Greed and Glory in the Internet Wars
  • Harvard Business Review on Leadership
  • Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do
  • Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work
  • Talking from 9 to 5: Women and Men at Work
  • The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • See Jane Lead: 99 Ways for Women to Take Charge at Work
  • Different Minds: Gifted Children with Ad/Hd, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits
  • Your Money and Your Brain
  • The One to One Future
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)
  • Lifescripts