Start by marking “Island of Shadows (Seekers: Return to the Wild, #1)” as Want to Read:
Island of Shadows (Seekers: Return to the Wild, #1)

Island of Shadows (Seekers: Return to the Wild #1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,073 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The journey home begins. . . .

Toklo, Kallik, and Lusa survived the perilous mission that brought them together, and now it’s time for them to find their way home. Kallik and Lusa are ready to be among their own kinds again, but Toklo, devastated by the loss of their companion Ujurak, feels hopeless and afraid of what’s to come.

When the group reaches a shadowy island covere
Published February 7th 2012 by HarperCollins

Faith
Feb 22, 2012 Faith rated it liked it
Rebecca
Jan 30, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
When I was younger, I read most of Erin Hunger's WARRIORS series and loved them. When I got this book, then, I immediately started reading it, even though I'm probably well out of its target age group. Even so, I enjoyed it. Unlike the WARRIORS series, SEEKERS: ISLAND OF SHADOWS is not about cats, but about bears: Lusa, a black bear; Toklo, a brown bear; and Kallik and Yakone, who are polar bears. They are later joined by Nanulak, a half-brown and half-polar bear. The names were a bit confusing ...more
Amanda Hall
Dec 29, 2013 Amanda Hall marked it as to-read
This is a series my daughter reads and has asked me to join her on. We love it! I think Seekers is much more interesting than Warriors, but my kids like all of Erin Hunter's work. Very flawed, real, dynamic characters that I care deeply about. :)
Shelly
Jan 21, 2012 Shelly rated it liked it
7 weeks later we received this book. My son has already started a new series so it will be awhile before he gets around to reading and reviewing it.

My son finally got around to reading this book we received as an ARC. He enjoyed it.
Darren
May 30, 2012 Darren rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Darren by: Linda Stewart
Good continuation of the journey of the bear friends. I was wondering how it could continue after the previous 6 books ended. I'm excited to see where the story goes.
Brittney Tyler
Mar 18, 2017 Brittney Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books

Since the collection of ladies that make up the author Erin Hunter are one of my favorites, I was thoroughly expecting to love Seekers Return to the Wild #1: Island of Shadows. Going in to this, I have to admit that I enjoy Warriors far more than I like Seekers, although I haven’t started Survivors (dog series) or the upcoming series Bravelands (so excited for that one!!!!!) so that may change. Anyway, back to the book that we are currently writing about, Island of Shadows is the continuation o
Kristen
Feb 29, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I recevied this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book was enjoyable enough. I received it accidentally from the publisher - I had won a different book - but since it was here, I thought I'd give it a try. So with that said, it is not a book I normally would have picked up, and I have obviously not read the entire series before it.

The story moved along quickly, despite the lack of action. The plot was very slow for me. It was about Bears trekking across the icey Canada landscape.
Stacy
May 04, 2012 Stacy rated it it was ok
I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads

I registered for the book because I've been curious about the Warriors books for some time now (it's hard for me to resist stories told by cats) and although Seekers didn't have the same draw (I guess bears don't do it for me) I figured it would be an example of the writing style and perhaps my 9-year old son might be interested. Having read it, I'm still willing to give Warriors a shot, but if this Seekers book is any indication, this is reall
Riss
Feb 23, 2015 Riss rated it liked it
This is a dual review for "Island of Shadows" and "The Melting Sea". Small spoilers within, but honestly the stuff I mention is obvious.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, and that's fine, but I loved Seekers more than Warriors. The bears actually behaved like bears while showing just enough anthropomorphism to appeal to a wider audience. I liked the message; I liked the language; I liked the eagerness; I liked the respect. Warriors, while definitely fun to dive into, had cats that d
David Caldwell
I won a copy on Goodreads Firstreads.

Toklo, Kalik and Lusa have finished their quest and now it is time for the three bears to return home.Joined by Yakone and Nanulak, they take the first steps to returning to where they belong.Grieving over the loss of their friend,Ujurak,they look for signs to help them find their way. Along the way, they have to learn to adapt to the new members in their group.Ultimately they have to learn to accept not only others for who they are but themselves as well.

I h
Ashley
Jul 04, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
Eden
Mar 06, 2012 Eden rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
Toklo, Lusa, Kallik along with Yakone, begin a long journey home. They are not really sure where they are going, if they are close to the Frozen Sea, or if they are going in the right direction. But they continue on, as each bear has dreams of finding the place that is right for them.

Along the way they run into humans and sometimes lose each other during moments of danger. And they meet a bear named Nanulak who is half white bear and half brown bear.

The book was slow at first, but when it picked
Angelina Justice
Dec 15, 2011 Angelina Justice rated it really liked it
This is a great, fast paced read for upper elementary and early middle school. I'm not usually a fan of animal protagonist stories, but I like the perspective in this and the Hunter series. It's an amalgam of animal behavior translated into human language.

I like the ecology and environmental thread that runs through this series. Although the struggles are surreal in this story, they do mirror challenges that real bears are struggling with in their shrinking habitats.

An underlying theme that runs
Larry
Mar 12, 2012 Larry rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from the Goodreads First Read giveaways. While the book is listed as #1, it is obviously a continuation of another book as the references to a unique bear that died on Star Island are numerous. The main characters, a black bear named Lusa, a brown bear named Toklo, and a polar bear named Kallik, appear to have been through earlier adventures and met Yakone, a young polar bear, who is traveling with them. On the Island of Shadows, the travelers meet a mixed brown and polar be ...more
Ash
Mar 12, 2012 Ash rated it liked it
The book at first was sooo good and it was great seeing the three bears back with Yakone but unfortunately without Ujurak. The book was about overcoming the sad events of the last book, and I was glad to see this book picking Ruhr after e end of book 6, which makes this book the seventh book in the series more than a first book in the new series.
The end or actually exactly in the last two chapter the events went downhill since the explanation to everything was just wtf-ish. But overall I hope
King Hoole
Mar 19, 2013 King Hoole rated it it was amazing
I liked this book as well as the rest of the Seekers books. I think each character has amazing strengths ( Lusa's spirit, Kallik's loyalty, and Toklo's bravery). Although I am not fond of Nanulak I love his character depth. And in not trying to take a shot at some people or anything like that but for those people who don't like Toklo I just want to say something. I rather love Toklo. I'm probably most like him. Hah. But while he can seem arrogant and hostile he is truly a great spirit. He learne ...more
Grace Cuenca
Dec 15, 2011 Grace Cuenca rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. What was interesting was that since it was from the same author, the elements that made up the plot were similar. Nanulak, a brown and white bear, has seeked out revenge on his parents. He used Toklo and everyone else to kill his family but he failed. In the series Warriors, Leafpool (from ThunderClan) and Crowfeather (from WindClan) had kits. Their kits, after finding out the truth, never really forgave them even though they never tried to kill them. This journey for the ...more
Kris
Jan 21, 2012 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, own
Toklo, Lusa, and Kallik begin the long journey home alone with Yakone, a polar bear. On their journey they meet Nanulak who is half polar bear and half grizzly bear. They run into humans and near fatal accidents.

The Warriors and Seekers books are wonderful. I would recommend them to any animal lover. I am surprised that the books have not yet been made into movies.

My 5th grader is looking forward to reading this book. She loves Erin Hunter's books.

*I received this book for free through Goodreads
Jessica Buike
Jan 17, 2012 Jessica Buike rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was sad to discover that even though this book is marked as the first of a series, it was apparently not (or was a spin-off series to a different series). Despite the fact that I couldn't keep up with all of the backstory, it was still enjoyable and touched on some very human things such as over-consumption, environmental concerns, and racism through the use of lovable bear characters. While it would have been nice to read the original series first, this was still a decent read and I managed t ...more
Tatum
Aug 25, 2014 Tatum rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I loved it from the beginning to the end. At the end I was really shocked at what happened. The lesson in the book was that you shouldn't trust people right away. Like in the book Toklo found a friend that was really selfish, stubborn, and mean. But at the end everyone figured out that everything he told the group were just lies. Thank you Erin Hunter for an amazing book! I acnnot wait for the next book!! :)
Brittany
Dec 11, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I haven't read the first six books in about two or three years, but I just got a new kindle and I already had this book downloaded. Plus I haven't read much since then. Well I really enjoy the Seekers series. I ate up the first six books, and now I am into the Seekers books again, and I loved this book. Wonderful story about a bear who betrayed the Seekers and I'm so glad he didn't travel with them on their journey. I also like Ujurak and his role in the story. It fits his character.
Rebecca
Jul 24, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
I won this in a Giveaway and was curious after reading and highly recommending Hunter's Warriors series, as well as the first Seekers series to my students. This series introduces 2new bears to the original trio, which added some extra layers to the story. Toklo is a bit irritating to me, however a few of my sixth graders thought he was a typical "adolescent Grizzly bear".
Alice Qu
Apr 23, 2012 Alice Qu rated it it was amazing
i don't see what's so bad about Nanuak, yes, he lied, and yes, he wanted to kill his family, but still, all he wanted was to become only one type of bear, black or white. He never wanted to become mixed. I don't see what's so bad of being mixed. It doesn't matter, as long as you have a family that loves you. Nanuak had that, but he wouldn't accept that.
Anna
Mar 24, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Great books though sometimes may be a bit confusing but they were pretty good. If I had to place an age limit on this it would probably be 8 and up because really there is no violence except for the occasional bear fight ( which is normal for bears, especially male bears) and because some words(not cuss words) may be out of some 7 year olds vocab.
Sherrie Saint
Jan 23, 2012 Sherrie Saint rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads-book
I liked the story but it was very difficult to keep up with all the different bears in the story. It is great that the message behind the book is that although we all look different, we are all family. Family doesn't always have to be blood relatives. And sometimes, no matter how much you love someone, they will leave you.
Anika
Sep 20, 2013 Anika rated it really liked it
This is the first book of the second series of seekers I found it pretty good with our new characters and what happens at the end although I hope we get into more forest because ther has been a lot more books in arctic then forest.
Kenlie
May 22, 2014 Kenlie rated it really liked it
Very good and extremely descriptive! However, it was a little boring at times, which is why I only gave it four stars. I absolutely love the bears and their special ragtag family ;) I also even liked Nanulak's character!
Kristy
Jan 21, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it
Very excited to have received my copy from Goodreads First Reads. I'm already familiar with Erin Hunter's Warriors series, so I know this will be an excellent addition to my school library. Thanks so much!
Justin G.
Sep 11, 2013 Justin G. rated it it was amazing
The book was shocking. the end was sad
Silvermoss
Apr 07, 2012 Silvermoss rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Took a while to finish but still a great read. I look forward to reading the second book. ^^
Who's your favourite? Lusa, Toklo or Kallik? 7 9 Jan 05, 2017 10:12AM
  • Watch Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #3)
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • The Mayor of Central Park
  • Rising Star (My Secret Unicorn, #12)
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • Getaway
  • The Fourth Fisherman: How Three Mexican Fishermen Who Came Back from the Dead Changed My Life and Saved My Marriage
  • It's a Catastrophe
  • Shark Wars (Shark Wars, #1)
  • The Wild Road (The Wild Road, #1)
  • While You're Here, Doc: Farmyard Adventures of a Maine Veterinarian
Erin Hunter is the pseudonym of five people: Kate Cary, Cherith Baldry, Tui T. Sutherland, Gillian Phillips, and Inbali Iserles, as well as editor Victoria Holmes. Together, they write the Warriors series as well as the Seekers and Survivors series. Erin Hunter is working on a new series now called Bravelands.

Erin Hunter is inspired by a love of cats and a fascination with the ferocity of the nat
More about Erin Hunter...

Seekers: Return to the Wild (6 books)
  • The Melting Sea (Seekers: Return to the Wild, #2)
  • River of Lost Bears (Seekers: Return to the Wild, #3)
  • Forest of Wolves (Seekers: Return to the Wild, #4)
  • The Burning Horizon (Seekers: Return to the Wild, #5)
  • The Longest Day (Seekers: Return to the Wild #6)