Start by marking “The New American Bible for Catholics: With Revised New Testament and Revised Book of Psalms” as Want to Read:

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  906 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Uniquely American, this popular translation is the easiest to understand Catholic edition of the Bible. This modern translation was prepared by over 50 scholars to capture the thought and individual style of the inspired writers while still making this translation easy to use for all ages.The New American Bible is the perfect Bible for your Catholic family and friends, and ...more
Published May 27th 2011 by Nelson Bibles (first published 1899)

Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoDark Night of the Soul by John of the CrossJesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI
Roman Catholic Reading
6th out of 292 books — 168 voters
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisCatechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxMere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Books for Catholics
31st out of 366 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Sylvia
Apr 28, 2008 Sylvia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: you
Recommended to Sylvia by: Jenna Keith (90 Day Challenge)
I took the challenge and read the entire Bible cover-to-cover in exactly 90 days. It was one of the most spiritually gruelling and intense experiences of my life. I learned so much about God, myself, and everything in general. I couldn't even begin to sum up everything that I got out of it. This is the ultimate book of all time! I'll be reading it until I die. I can't recommend it enough. It's God's Word, after all. ;-) One hundred stars.
Greg
Dec 01, 2007 Greg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Humans.
Bring the hate. This translation is standard issue for anyone doing anything remotely "scholastic" in Catholicism - if you want pretty, go for the King James, if you want accurate, go here. I still have the now duct-taped-together copy I was issued in 1996 when I started Catholic High School. I've read the majority of it at least 3 times per book since then, and it's still (Sort of) in one piece.
One important thing to note is that there are several flat-out errors in the King James that this cor
Lola
How can I really even review this? It's the freaking Word of God! I am a Catholic and proud of it, so I cherish this book. I don't read it as much as I should, I will admit, but there is so much the Bible offers us. It offers courage and hope, gives us rules as to how to live our lives right. Most of all, it offers us God. There are some great stories in here as well. I particularly like the women of the Bible: Ruth, Esther, Mary, etc. Esther has to be my favorite. She had courage, possibly mor ...more
J.M.
Do people give religious books higher ratings because they really enjoyed reading them or because they don't want to be penalized by the Almighty when they die for not giving the Bible five stars on a review site?

I received this Bible as a senior in high school and yes, I've read it cover to cover. This being a Catholic version, there are additional books included which other Christian denominations don't consider part of the traditional canon. The translation is very straight-forward and easy t
Kyle Timmermeyer
Jumps around quite a lot, but the stories are classic, and the overarching narrative is as epic as history itself. Featuring my absolute favorite protagonist and (least) favorite antagonist, this is a work of literature I can easily recommend to anyone. A MUST READ!
Megan
Awesome. A complete Bible. This Bible has the seven books which are missing in most other Bibles.
Mark Holencik
First time I read the bible completely, I was 37 years old. My life has not been the same since.
Rosemary
Sep 07, 2009 Rosemary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I try to read and study my Bible each and every day.
Eric
Transforms your life!
Ami_Ven
Finally finished, and it's only taken me nine months!

I decided to read this because it's the Holy Book of my religion (christianity) but mostly because I keep hearing people quoting it to support their own selfish or immoral agendas. Because what I found, overall, was either vastly outdated 'laws' (like the one about bats not being Kosher) or actual religious doctrines, found in most forms of christianity, that everyone seems to ignore (Jesus said to love and be kind to everyone, guys, EVERYONE.
Bojan Tunguz
This is the official translation of the Bible that is used by the Catholic Church in the United States and several other English-speaking countries. The aim of this translation has been to make the Bible more accessible to the modern readers, especially in the context of liturgical use. In that respect the translation has been fairly successful: the language used is standard modern English with North American usage, most of the terminology is straightforward, and many obscure terms and reference ...more
Paul
I was encouraged by my best friend to read the entire Old Testament from start to finish during this deployment (OIF 06-08). Based on my spiritual reformation this year and some friendly competition on how long it would take us to finish it, I signed up and it was super-enlightening.

It is so much easier for me to understand the necessity for Christ after reading the OT. It makes so much sense to me why God decided to have a communion with us in a way we could understand. We failed Him miserably
Lisa Bauer
I first read this translation (all the way through!) when I was 13-14, the first Bible I'd read, and I was actually quite taken with it, oddly enough, though that probably has more to do with my enormous interest in ancient history than anything else. I've read several other translations of the Bible since, so I'm hoping I'm at least as qualified to comment on the Bible as Christians who have NOT read it, despite being a nonbeliever! (Mentioned in reaction to some who claim that nonbelievers are ...more
Stephen Brindza
Admittedly, I have not compared the dozens (hundreds?) of English-language bibles, never making a preference for loose translations vs. etymological parsing of words and phrases. That said, this is one neat paperback with the Catholic/Orthodox apocrypha added in and well-prefaced.
Bill Carpenter
Simply the best book ever written. The inspired Word of God. Should be our Handbook of Life, our Owner's Manual for Life, at every stage of our lives. Lord Jesus, have mercy on us, forgive our sins, bring us to everlasting life.
Nicholai baylog
Feb 25, 2010 Nicholai baylog is currently reading it
just trying to find my faith, and so i began reading this. it's interesting. the bible itself in a way could be looked at as not just one book, but a collection of books. like say, you when a story has a collection of books that continue the story. they put all the books into one big book. that's pretty much the bible (for anyone who didn't think of it that way) it's a collection of books that were written in different eras and different people, but they all have the same author (so i'm told). t ...more
Kim
I was given this bible a few years ago but this is the first time I read it. I am not Catholic so it was very interesting to read the books that are not included in my standard translations. I will now return to my other bibles however, the King James Version will always be my favorite.

"Do not give in to sadness,
torment not yourself with brooding,
Gladness of heart is the very life of man,
cheerfulness prolongs his days."

-Sirach 30: 21-22
Damaris
Yep, Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21. I decided to read it during the toughest year of my life, going through a divorce. I think everyone should read it at least once. I'm on my second go round. It really was quite a shock to see how much of what is evil and wrong in the world today has been going on forever. Guess that is where the New Testament comes in giving us hope for something better.
Georgette
Read most of the Bible in Catholic School (a million years ago...). Re-visiting Paul's letters as part of a study/grief group. Paul has some good things to say - basically, take care of each other, and if you think something's wrong, it probably is, so don't do it.

Because I said so, that's why.

Most days, that's actually good enough. On the days it's not, I find someone else to read.
Thomas
The New American Bible. The translation isn't the best, but it gets the job done. The commentary provides a decent historical and cultural context for the scriptures, which is really necessary to have when reading. The quality of these commentaries have been criticized, but I have never felt them to subvert the authority of scripture or the authenticity of the faith.
Dev
Jun 07, 2007 Dev added it
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory, for ever and ever. Amen
Gillian
I hope to be reading this throughout my life. It's amazing. Thank God for it!
1/2011-5/2011: Studied the Book of Revelation. See www.biblestudyforcatholics.com .
9/2011-5/2012: Studying the Book of Matthew. See www.biblestudyforcatholics.com .
9/2012-5/2013: Studying the Acts of the Apostles. See www.biblestudyforcatholics.com .
Robert Woodman
Dec 29, 2012 Robert Woodman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Robert by: Fr. David M. Schilder
Could be a better translation. The Psalms really suffer because the poetry is lost. I know the translators were striving for accuracy, but they needed to try much harder to retain the poetry while improving the accuracy. The Proverbs suffer as well for similar reasons. Job (because the underlying text is so corrupt) suffers the most.
Jenn
Aug 06, 2011 Jenn added it
I do not give this a rating as literature out of respect to the faithful. I do not want my judgement to sway the beliefs of another, whether it be acceptance, rejection or indifference. However, I encourage everyone to read this if only to have the opportunity to see what so many people have connected with spiritually.
Robert
Get this work if you want an English-language Bible that combines readability with a high degree of accuracy in translation. NAB may not be as literary or poetic as the KJV, but it is written in smooth, lucid prose. In fine, this is an excellent Bible and reference for all—Catholic, Protestant, and non-believer alike.
Anna
My version is actually my husband's from high school in 1970. I like talking about spirituality stuff so I thought that reading the whole thing might give me better insight than the readings they pick out just for church or what the church tells you it says. Am in Psalms now, slow going.
Skylar Burris

I'm usually a KJV fanatic, but I got this version of the Bible so I could read the apocrypha. I actually prefer this translation to the NIV. The notes are helpful without (generally) being of the sort that tries to contort the passages to fit a narrow theological mold.
Shera
May 15, 2008 Shera marked it as to-read
I don't really have a review of this; I just learned there was another Bible just for Catholics. I thought we all had the same one! I learned there are additional books in this Bible that are not in the King James Version. I'm just curious as to what these books are about.
Maritza
Apr 14, 2012 Maritza marked it as to-read
Shelves: favorites
I started with Revelations... I'm not sure why but it has made me want to read it all... I have so many questions and I am looking forward to getting my answers in Bible Study or someone's interpretation of what is, what was, and what is yet to come.
Quetzal (Martin)  Suarez
A book often read, little understood, and miserably interpreted by the masses; of all the the wisdom found with in the book, little is been practiced today. Judgement, fear and guilt,is often what people got out of it the most.
  • Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • United States Catholic Catechism for Adults
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Why Do Catholics Do That?: A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church
  • Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament
  • Jewish Annotated New Testament-NRSV
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration
  • A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • Crossing the Threshold of Hope
  • The Catholic Church: A Short History
  • Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God
  • A Concise History of the Catholic Church
  • Memorize the Faith! (and Most Anything Else): Using the Methods of the Great Catholic Medieval Memory Masters
  • The Jewish Study Bible
  • Rediscovering Catholicism Journeying Toward Our Spiritual North Star
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita

“Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.” 8 likes
“13:4. Marriage honourable in all, and the bed undefiled. For fornicators and adulterers God will judge. Or, Let marriage be honourable in all... That is, in all things belonging to the marriage state. This is a warning to married people, not to abuse the sanctity of their state, by any liberties or irregularities contrary thereunto. Now it does not follow from this text that all persons are obliged to marry, even if the word omnibus were rendered, in all persons, instead of in all things: for if it was a precept, St. Paul himself would have transgressed it, as he never married. Moreover, those who have already made a vow to God to lead a single life, should they attempt to marry, they would incur their own damnation. 1 Tim. 5. 12.” 1 likes