Start by marking “'Salem's Lot” as Want to Read:
'Salem's Lot

'Salem's Lot

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  223,860 Ratings  ·  4,973 Reviews
Thousands of miles away from the small township of 'Salem's Lot, two terrified people, a man and a boy, still share the secrets of those clapboard houses and tree-lined streets. They must return to 'Salem's Lot for a final confrontation with the unspeakable evil that lives on in the town.
Paperback, 17th Impression, 483 pages
Published 1991 by New English Library (first published October 17th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about 'Salem's Lot, please sign up.

Megan Reber Ghost Story by Peter Straub is very similar. It involves ghosts instead of vampires, but it has the exact same feel as Salem's Lot. If you don't mind…moreGhost Story by Peter Straub is very similar. It involves ghosts instead of vampires, but it has the exact same feel as Salem's Lot. If you don't mind something a little more extreme on the horror front, I would highly suggest Terror Town by James Roy Daley. (less)
Mads Absolutely.

Here's a sligthly expanded plotline.

The town of 'Salems Lot is a small, sleepy town in Maine.

Around the same point of time, the town gets…more
Absolutely.

Here's a sligthly expanded plotline.

The town of 'Salems Lot is a small, sleepy town in Maine.

Around the same point of time, the town gets three new inhabitants: Ben Mears, a writer of fiction novels, and the partnership of Straker, a mysterious and pale antique dealer, and Barlow, a mysterious character nobody sees. Mears is a former resident of the small town, still haunted by the memories of the Marsten house, a ghostly house with a past that Straker and Barlow takes over and which haunts and fascinates Ben Mears quite some. From around the three arrive in this small town, strange events start taking place, having a significant impact on the future of the small town.(less)
'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
1st out of 1,317 books — 7,093 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
3rd out of 1,384 books — 4,217 voters

More lists with this book...

Nataliya
Oct 31, 2012 Nataliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
There was a time once when vampires were ruthless predators and not the misunderstood brooding and essentially harmless creatures. Ahhhh, good old scary times...

Vampire stories have been around for a long time - after all, people love a good scare, and what is more terrifying than a monster showing up at night and sucking the life essence out of you? But leave it to Stephen King to turn the terror up a notch, add a whole new layer to it. How? Simply - using the winning formula that he continues
Mary
Oct 30, 2007 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: horror
Delee

I was a bit of a wimp before I entered my teen years...so I stayed away from anything vampire. My first vampire experience was Love at First Bite, and not knowing it was a comedy (yes, it was before you could Google) I put on a brave face for the friend that invited me- and entered the movie theater terrified by what I would see. Luckily the evenly tanned George Hamilton awaited me...along with some mighty impressive disco dancing. The scary blood suckers would have to wait to frighten me.

Mohammed Arabey
Apr 22, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

لوهلة ظننت أن الرواية عن مصاصي الدماء، فقط الرعب التقليدي، لكني كنت مخطئا جدا
الرواية عن الشر نفسه والظلام الذي لا نراهم إلا بعد فوات الأوان
"لقد تغير مفهوم الكنيسة الكاثوليكية للشر عاما بشكل جذري في القرن العشرين بسبب فرويد..فلم يعد الشر هو ذاك الشيطان الأحمر بقرون وذيل وحوافر أو ثعبانا يزحف في حديقة، الشيطان طبقا للإنجيل طبقا لفرويد له هوية مركبة عملاقة ,هو اللاوعي أو العقل الباطن الخاص بنا جميعا"

قصة مدينة صغيرة يرسم لك ستيفين كينج بشكل بانورامي اخر ايامها قبل اختفاءها الغامض
ممتزج بها فلسفة ع
Samadrita
The last time I picked up a King novel, my inclination towards critical analysis of a text was still just a budding obsession. Now it is an enduring preoccupation. Try as I may, I cannot overlook the subtle slips in King's plot arrangement and characterization any more - the inevitability of women being cast in the molds of the lover or the victim of abuse or the tactless ingenue is a veritable threat to my fangirlism. (This is not to mention the tropes of the 'magical negro' and other assorted ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
City folk have a distinct misconception about small towns. We tend to believe that they are tranquil and innocent. That the denizens are wholesome and full of family values. But, we don't see the hidden rot that lurks beneath the sleepy facade.

Stephen King does a lot to shatter that myth with 'Salem's Lot. This a horror novel about a vampire who destroys a town from the inside out. This is a horror story about the darkness that we don't see clearly (or maybe we ignore) about our friends, familie
Will M.
A novel about a creepy town and deadly vampires. This should've received 5 stars from me, but I was a bit disappointed with this novel.

I swear I wanted to love this novel, but it was an okay read for me. An okay read from the King. I'm 100% sure that something is wrong with me, and not the novel.

My main problem with the novel would be the fact that it took almost 350 pages for it to become really interesting. The character and plot introduction felt 150 pages longer than it should've been. Aside
Charlene
I just finished a re-read of this book with the Horror Aficionados group here at Goodreads. I'm so glad that I participated!

Remember little Ralphie Glick?

I first read this book in junior high or high school. It's been about 30 years since then, unfortunately. I've read The Stand and IT a couple of times each, but I never did pick this one up again. Finally, that has been rectified and what a payoff!

I forgot how well this story wrapped its arms around the reader and refused to let them go. We me
Carmen
May 29, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King fans, Vampire fans
Stephen King's take on vampires. I didn't enjoy this book as much as CARRIE.

THE HEROES:
- An author. Of course. Self-insertion much? Notably the only character who has good sex in the novel. (I'm not complaining about the self-insertion... but I want you to know I notice what you're doing, Mr. King.) Ben Mears

- A priest. Irish-American. A drunk. Fed up with the suffering, abuse, rape, and hate he sees every day. When can he fight the Big Evil? Human evil is boring, apparently. This character e
Lyn
Sep 03, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it
Vampires.

Years after I first read it, I can truthfully say that this is still on a short list of scariest books I have ever read.

King at his best. An American re-telling of Dracula, King stays close to the vampire myth but with some of his own storytelling thrown in and some subtle changes that make for an original novel. I cannot help but think that Barlow helped to usher in a new generation of vampire literature, of which we have now been inundated for the past few years.

description
Reading Corner
Nov 25, 2015 Reading Corner rated it really liked it
This was my second Stephen King read which I really enjoyed. I thought it was much better than Carrie as the story was better developed and more enthralling. The idea behind the novel was basic in one sense but incredibly gripping and for me, unpredictable until someone spoiled it. However, this did not ruin it as there was still many mysteries lurking in the background that evolved into something even scarier.

There's a constant third person narrative switch, between the residents of Jerusalem's
Kasia
I find Stephen King repetitive, his characters not all that likable, his endings BAD. But I like silly potboilers featuring vampires. Don't judge me!! I'm an vampire fanatic, and Salem's Lot is one of the undead classics, I was bound to read it. Ok, I was bound to listen to the audiobook, if I were to be precise. Hiking on a trail in Carpathians (same Carpathians that count Dracula had his monstrous castle in), getting soaked to the bone* (oh how I hate the treacherous mountain weather!), with m ...more
Rowena
Oct 09, 2014 Rowena rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror

I've missed reading King's books. He really knows how to tell a story. This story is set in the 1970s and it shows, not only because of the homophobic statements, also because of the very homogeneous population, the most "exotic" person in the town being an Austrian immigrant.

I've always says King can write creepy small towns well. This was a very intriguing story that had me gripped despite the slightly awkward love story (slightly cringeworthy dialogue) but I would recommend this book for sur
Councillor
In „Salem’s Lot“, one of his most well-known novels, Stephen King masterfully explores the effects of evilness on unsuspecting and (more or less) innocent people through the introduction of vampires. He presents a vivid cast of characters to his readers, including the main protagonist, Ben Mears, an author who is haunted by his own past and discovers several obstacles on his quest to find peace; Matt Burke, an aging teacher confronted with the largest challenge of his life; Jimmy Cody, a doctor; ...more
Nikoleta
Mar 11, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Ο Κινγκ παίρνει τον Κόμη Δράκουλα του Στόουκερ και τον αναλύει, τον επεκτείνει, τον «σκίζει» (με την καλή έννοια πάντα). Θα μπορούσα κάλλιστα να πω ότι είναι το ακόμα πιο καλογραμμένο και επιτυχημένο σίκουελ! Για τους λάτρεις των κλασικών βαμπίρ και φυσικά του Κίνγκ. Εννοείται ότι δεν με απογοήτευσε, αντιθέτως μου άρεσε πολύ πολύυυυυυ παραπάνω από ότι περίμενα αρχικά. Δεν με κούρασε, με μαγνήτισε και με απορρόφησε από τις πρώτες, κιόλας, προτάσεις!
4.5/5 αστεράκια
Kat Kennedy
Salem’s Lot is the first and only Stephen King novel I’ve ever read.

To be honest, this is a short review because I didn’t finish it. The problem wasn’t that King wasn’t a compelling writer who has obviously honed his craft. Every single chapter was interesting and immersive. I found myself drawn into the world he was spinning and deeply intrigued by the mystery of it all.

However, I suppose I couldn’t read it because this book is what I imagine it would be like to live with ADHD. It bounced aroun
Trish
May 01, 2016 Trish is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy-read buddy Brad, where are you?!
*shouts*
The book is on its way and should arrive next week (damn peer pressure). Get ready! :D

@Licha: You wanna join us?
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*
It just wouldn't be Halloween without a little vampirism....

Buddyread with my fellow Tor-aholic Jess commencing Tuesday, October 21.

4.5 Stars

At three in the morning the blood runs slow and thick, and slumber is heavy. The soul either sleeps in blessed ignorance of such an hour or gazes about itself in utter despair. There is no middle ground.

This book is almost everything I could have wanted from a Halloween read. It misses that coveted five star only marginally.... and mostly that is because
Edward Lorn
This is the greatest vampire novel ever written. Forget Stoker, ignore Rice, this is it. Why? Because the vampires herein are not your friends. They are not your lovers. There is nothing remotely lovable about Barlow's children of the night. They simply want to fucking drain you.

(view spoiler)
Stephen
3.5 stars. Overall, I couldn't quite go to 4 stars on this one as the overall story was a little slow at parts and I wasn't as carried away by the narrative or the characters as I would have liked. That said, there are a few aspects of this story that are absolutely 5 star worthy and highlight the real strength of King as a story teller. These five star components include:

1. The character of Kurt Barlow is simply amazing and is among the best vampire characters I have ever come across. I really
Stephanie
Nov 21, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: scarry, 2009
No I'm not obsessed with Stephen King, though my reading as of late may make you think so. However I do believe he is a genius. I picked up Salem's lot because one of the main characters in Salem's Lot, father Callahan, becomes a major character in Wolves of the Calla which I am currently reading. I wanted to get the fathers full background.

Salem's lot did not disappoint me. Creepy creepy creepy. I like that these vampires are sick, animalistic monsters, Unlike the romanticized versions in the A
Vane J.
Feb 11, 2016 Vane J. rated it liked it
Vampires, vampires, vampires... by Stephen King. As expected, they're not of the sweet and forgiving kind. They're bloodthirsty and have no mercy. Perhaps that's why my expectations were so high.

And no, the last is not to say I was disappointed, because I was not. This book delivered perfectly what I expected. But there's a small problem that comes with vampire stories, and that is vampires have existed for a looooong time.

Why is that a problem? Well, simply because you cannot expect lots of ori
Paul Nelson
Next up on my Stephen King ‘catch up’ quest, after rating The Stand the best book I’ve ever read is Salem’s Lot.

Back to The Stand for a moment, I bought the dvd series that was on TV, watched the first episode, thought yeah wicked, looking forward to the rest. Went to work, got home to find the missus had watched it all and then she proceeded to tell me how good it was and why. F*cks sake, why does that always happen, only one way out of this – hide everything till you've watched it.

Anyway back
Joe Valdez
Oct 03, 2015 Joe Valdez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two of the earliest TV broadcasts to give my brother nightmares were Carrie and 'Salem's Lot, adaptations of the first and second novels by Stephen King. Mrs. White locking Carrie in the closet with a crucified Jesus bothered him, as did a boy turned vampire in the town of Jerusalem's Lot floating outside the window of Mark Petrie, asking to be let in. Those scenes sent him running from the den, probably because I went running out first.

Published in 1975, King had described a work in progress of
Checkman
Jul 03, 2015 Checkman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire buffs and SK fans
It's hard reading a forty year old novel about vampires in the 21st century. So much has happened to the genre in the past twenty years. It's very easy to think of this book as just "another damn vampire story". Then you look at the date of publication and you're tempted to put it back on the shelf and move on. But wait just a moment. Consider these couple points before you do that and then make your decision.

"Salem's Lot" was one of the first novels to put vampires in "contemporary times". Of c
mark monday
read during my High School Years

I Remember: being distinctly unimpressed, but still enjoying it overall... efficient but unremarkable... the narrative seemed too thin, it lacked richness or resonance... a pair of wonderful villains, armed with some good lines... a kid vampire floating outside of another kid's window, asking to be let in - scary!... i wanted so much more, but far from a bad book... the book felt pretty equal to the miniseries.
Stephanie
May 18, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-2015
'Salem's Lot is classic Stephen King!

Not sure why this book scared me so much, but it did! It had that element of extraordinary character development and the realistically depicted take-over of a small town in Maine by vampires! Keep in mind that King wrote his second novel in 1975, well before the recent vampire craze....

vampire out of coffin photo 49993-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Vampire-Emerging-From-His-Coffin_zpsfgsgcrzh.jpg

Scary!

Creepy!

(view spoiler)

I w
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*
4.5
I was always excited to read this one, so usually this means it's not as good as I planned. Wrong here!

This was a great vampire book. I didn't know until I was reading it that it was King's second. I can tell as I like his early writing a lot; to me he got too long winded later on. Here he takes his time to build the story and you get to know and care about the characters well, there is a lot of ominous foreshadowing and build-up that will clash together later, and everything unwinds at a en
Kandice
Oct 11, 2015 Kandice rated it it was amazing
This has always been my favorite King. Always. I read it for the first time when I was about 12. We were driving cross country, from West Virginia to California and I was absolutely certain that I saw a vampire at a truck stop. I mean really, really saw one. This book is intense and is no less so each time I re-read it, and there have been many re-reads. There is nothing lost just because you know how it all turns out.

This is the first book where King shows us his world building skills. This is
Miss Kim
This book takes about 300 pages to actually heat up. It wasn’t so dull that I wanted to put it down, but I was still thinking “Come on Mr. King, entertain me.” There are many other reviews on this one, so I will keep it short. I will mention a few scenes that had my heart beating fast:

*The girl, who shall now have a place on my ‘She is Too Stupid to Live” shelf, decides she’s going to tromping through the woods to sneak up on the King Vampire’s house and kill him--alone. At least she acknowledge
  • The Bachman Books
  • Floating Dragon
  • Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood #1-3)
  • Phantoms
  • Summer of Night
  • Necroscope III: The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3)
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • The Wolf's Hour
  • The Light at the End
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town
  • Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories
  • Domain (Rats, #3)
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
More about Stephen King...

“God grant me to SERENITY to accept what I cannot change the TENACITY to change what I may and the GOOD LUCK not to f*** up too often” 365 likes
“But then fall comes, kicking summer out on its treacherous ass as it always does one day sometime after the midpoint of September, it stays awhile like an old friend that you have missed. It settles in the way an old friend will settle into your favorite chair and take out his pipe and light it and then fill the afternoon with stories of places he has been and things he has done since last he saw you.” 320 likes