Start by marking “Only Emma” as Want to Read:
Only Emma

Only Emma (Emma #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Eight-year-old Emma McGraw is an only child who lives with her mom in their "cozy" condo. When four-year-old Anthony Scarpetto moves in for a week while his parents are away, Emma is not happy. He's loud, he smells, and he touches her stuff. And that's only half of it! Emma has started at a new school, and has finally begun to make friends. But how can she invite anyone ov...more
Published September 7th 2006 by Puffin (first published April 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Only Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Emma

Ruhama
Note: the sequel is published and called Not-so-Weird Emma

Emma is an only child and loves it, but her mom’s best friend has to leave her 4 year old son with Emma and her mom for a week, and Emma is convinced he’ll ruin everything. Once he’s moved in, Emma feels he’s taking over her room, her mother and her usually quiet life. Emma has also just moved to a new school, and is attempting to foster a friendship, and Anthony (the preschooler) seems to be ruining that, too. But is he really that bad o...more
Jessica Mitchell
Jessica Mitchell, 11
Only Emma
3 stars

First of all, I know this wasn't meant for 11 year olds. I just thought it would be decent..ya know?
But this book belongs in that group of books like the Beverly Clearly books, Clementine, ad Ivy+Bean. Idiotic and cliche.
So now you're probably wondering; Why'd you give it three stars?
1st star= The friendship between Emma and Cynthia was realistic. Fake and childish..
2nd star= I liked the illustrations
3rd star= The annoying qualities of Anthony were realisti...more
Christa
Themes include issues about single parenting, only child situations, interpersonal relationships

Third-grader Emma's peaceful life as an only child is disrupted when she has to temporarily share her tidy bedroom with four-year-old Anthony Scarpetto, a bona fide "pain in the patootie."

The story is cute and more for third/fourth graders than fifth or sixth graders. Story reminds me a lot of my godchildren and nieces. The author’s use of first person present narrative voice helps create a strong se...more
Lianna Navasardyan
I choose this book because my sister recommended it .Emma is eight years old .when a Anthony moves in Emma gets mad because he is annoying loud and touches all her stuff Emma can wait till he leaves. My favorite quote was "I don’t care. I don’t even like that puzzle." this was my favorite quote because in the store Anthony and Emma fight for the puzzle then when they stop fighting Emma tells him that ,it was kind of funny. I liked author’s point of view because Emma was telling the story and she...more
Emma
having this book's title named Emma isn't the only reason I like it!!! =^)
Susan P
A cute little story. Emma is an only child, so when her mom agrees to take care of a friend's little boy for a week, she is NOT happy. Anthony is 4-years-old, and he gets into her stuff, and makes messes everywhere, and doesn't listen to Emma when she tells him what to do. Emma thinks this is going to be the longest week of her life.... But Anthony actually starts to grow on her. First in a series.
Emma
i know this book looks kiddish but actually it is good i basically got it cause my name is in it!but it was funny and good there is this girl(emma) and she moved to a diffrent place and has this friend (can't rember her name)and then her mom has a friewnd and her son that is 4 (anthony) and emma doesn't like him and he has to stay at her house! and i won't tell the rest! :)
Caroline
A decent book in the realistic fiction for elementary readers. Although the book isn't that old (2005) I did feel like repeated references to a VCR made the book seem a bit dated. IDK if an 8 year old today really knows what a VCR is. But that aside it's a book with an appealing main character and an appealing packege
Trista
This was a cute story about a girl and the relationships she has with her mom, best friend, and a preschool boy whom she and her mom wind up babysitting for a week. I liked how she faced some situations that young children may face- divorce, being an only child, worrying her friend will stop being her friend.
James
A delight! Honest & real to life. Emma is about as cute as she can be and she is learning all about life in a great way. Super choice for young readers and highly recommended as a read-to story. Hard to beat as a contemporary read for this age group.
B
The first in a series about 3rd grader Emma, her new condo, her new school, her first friend there and the 4 year old boy that moves into her home for a week. Well told and realistic.
Sammy
A good book about a girl Emma who is having a hard time. She just lost her job and is starting a new school. Definitely a good book for children to read to remember how to stay positive.
Marcia
One theme in Only Emma teaches children that they will have to make adjustments in their lives. A second theme teaches sharing, not only possessions, but your heart as well.
Pamela
Jul 31, 2008 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: j
Cute story about an eight-year-old girl who is an only child, then has to learn to live with a little boy they are babysitting for a week.
Emily
This book sort of reminded me of my life in a way!! I defently think when you get a chance you should read it!!
Nancy
The story of an only child who has her life turned upside down by a 4 year old boy who spends a week with her.
Ashley
This was a verry fun book! But if I was Emma I would die if I told my mother that I'm used to baby Anthony.
Beth
currently reading with my 6yr. old daughter. so far, it's pretty cute. My daughter is enjoying it.
Jessy
Mar 18, 2008 Jessy added it
this book is very intreging and makes you wan't to read it to see what happens next!!
Molly
This is a very good book and it just tells about a girl and her life!
Vickie
I love this book.
If you like fantasy books you will love this one like me!
Lori
There was a lot of dialogue between the characters-not much a fan of this book.
Brett
Short & cute. Not as interesting as Lucy Rose or Clementine.
Clare
A little babyish, but a good "read when sick" book overall...
Daniella
Explains alot if you dont have any brothers or sisters.
Katherine
Pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing more by Sally Warner
Lauren B
i forgot i will have to read it over agian.
Emmalee
The main character reminded me a lot of myself :)
Miranda
I LOOOOOOOOOOVE that book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hailey
She was a bit braty but it was good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sally Warner is a writer of fiction for children and young adults and of books on creativity. She made the Lily series and Emma series for children's books. Sally Warner was born in New York City and grew up in Connecticut and California, where her family moved when she was eight years old.
More about Sally Warner...
Sort of Forever EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken Twilight Child Not-So-Weird Emma It's Only Temporary