The Shining (The Shining, #1)

The Shining (The Shining #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  524,268 ratings  ·  8,930 reviews
Danny was only five years old but in the words of old Mr Halloran he was a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father became caretaker of the Overlook Hotel his visions grew frighteningly out of control.

As winter closed in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seemed to develop a life of its own. It was meant to be empty, but who was the lady in Room 217, and w...more
Published July 1st 1980 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1977)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
151st out of 32,453 books — 123,134 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1st out of 1,126 books — 3,354 voters

More lists with this book...

Earline
This scene from Friends pretty much sums up my feelings about this book:

"Rachel: Hmm. (she opens the freezer) Umm, why do you have a copy of The Shining in your freezer?

Joey: Oh, I was reading it last night, and I got scared, so.

Rachel: But ah, you’re safe from it if it’s in the freezer?

Joey: Well, safer. Y'know, I mean I never start reading The Shining, without making sure we’ve got plenty of room in the freezer, y'know.

Rachel: How often do you read it?

Joey: Haven’t you ever read the same book
sckenda
Apr 26, 2014 sckenda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Coping with Kid Fears
Are you nostalgic for your childhood? How about your kid fears? Do you remember them? Stephen King returned me to my kid fears. Like Danny Torrance, I was a frightened and sensitive child during the early nineteen-seventies. Some of my kid fears came true, as Danny’s did for him.
Are you on fire,
From the years?
What would you give for your
Kid fears?

-- “Kid Fears,” Indigo Girls.
While reading “The Shining,” I revisited my kid fears-- as if walking through a bell-bottomed-shaped portal into the s...more
Stephen
QUESTION: Is Stephen King the BEST PURE STORYTELLER of the 20th Century ?

ANSWER: Who knows...I haven’t got the slightest wisp of the faintest fragment of a lingering shadow of a clue how to answer that manwich-sized question. However, I do think that in order to have a credible debate on the subject, you would need to include the Prince of the Prolific Page Turner in the argument. That says something to me and it got me thinking that there is a lot to like (and even love) about much of King’s wo...more
Nandakishore Varma
Quite simply put, The Shining is the best horror story I have ever read. It scared the hell out of me.

Over a period of time, I have noticed certain standard "motifs" in horror stories. One of these I call "The Lost Child". Such stories will typically involve a child, who can see what the silly grownups cannot see (or, even if they do see, don't acknowledge because it goes against reason and logic): and who fights, however high the odds stacked against him/ her are. Danny Torrance is such a boy.

D...more
Jeffrey Keeten
Kemper
Even though the film version of this one from Stanley Kubrick is generally considered a horror classic, Stephen King has never been shy about making his dislike of it known. He hates it so much that he was heavily involved in making a more faithful adaptation of it as TV mini-series in 1997. (This inferior version invited comparisons of Stephen Weber from Wings to one of Jack Nicholson’s most iconic performances. So that worked well….)

Considering Uncle Stevie’s longstanding grudge about it, I w...more
Will Byrnes
If you have not read The Shining already do not overlook the opportunity presented by the publication of Doctor Sleep, the sequel, to revisit one of the best ghost stories of our time. The appearance of the follow up offers a perfect justification for stepping through those bat-wing doors for the first time.

description
1st Edition cover – Published January 28, 1977 – 447 pps

It has been a lifetime since I read The Shining for the first time, over thirty years ago. I enjoyed it then for its effectiveness in t...more
Dd

Hello Readers.

Have you heard the tale of the Seven Wives of Bluebeard?

Once upon a time there was this powerful noble immensely wealthy.Everyone called him Bluebeard because of his large, ugly blue beard.He had married several times but time and again all of his wives died.No one really knew how.

And then one day he married again.A lovely, young girl.Whenever Bluebeard had to go away, he would give her all the keys of his home.He told her she could use any key to go inside which ever room she des
Dawn
I had to wait a week after reading this to write my review. Why? I couldn't fit my computer under my bed with me to type it up.

Fricken terrifying. Terrifying! The entire time I spent reading this I felt sick to my stomach with dread. I was jumpy, paranoid, the whole shamboozle. King really gets into your head with this... He takes you right into the character's subconscious, and as they are slowly driven bonkers, you are driven bonkers right along with them.

Is it sad that even though I knew it...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Oct 15, 2013 Stacia (out of inspiration) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stacia (out of inspiration) by: Buddy read with Rachel
The hotel is getting stronger. It wants to hurt all of us.

3.5 stars. I have to admit to having an interest in The Shining because of the setting being positioned on the outskirts of Rocky Mountain National Park. This is a place near and dear to me, one which I've visited many times.

The world famous Stanley Hotel, where Stephen King drew inspiration to write The Shining, and was later used on film for the lesser-known mini-series (not the movie).

I took that picture on my last visit to Estes Pa...more
Dan Schwent
Recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance takes a job as caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, bringing his family with him. But can even his son Danny's special gift, The Shining, stop him from going mad and butchering his family like other caretakers before him?

Yes, I'm several decades late to the party in reading this but after reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2, I had to read my first non-Dark Tower Stephen King book in years to see how the old man did horror back in the day. I'm not sure this was such a good id...more
Delee
Delee?

Yes Danny...

photo 1e1983d7-a7ae-44a0-9566-14fb85e0a3af_zps2b991dd1.png

Do you feel bad?

No Danny, I just really hated your performance in the movie version of THE SHINING.

photo 710720b8-8cfe-467c-b9cf-ef5ea227ea52_zps27155419.jpg

Really Delee?

Yes Danny, I hated it more than anything else in the whooole wiiiiide woooorld.

photo ba4f97a5-3a57-443a-85d5-fff7629df36b_zps805b97d4.jpg

I know this is supposed to be a review of the novel THE SHINING, and not the movie...but I can't review the book on its own. I tried...I really did.

I first read THE SHINING just before the movie came out in 1980- because usually if I watch the movie first, it is very rare that I go back and...more
Brad
Once upon a time, there was a young man who believed that books were always better than movies. Everyone whose opinion he respected told him it was so, and he believed it must be. And for a time he saw nothing to shake this belief. He read Dickens and saw filmed versions and knew it was so. He read Dumas and no version of Musketeers could shake his conviction. Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, and Scarlet Pimpernel all bore this out. But the young man discovered that it wasn't just the cla...more
Lena
I hadn't really realized just how deeply this story is embedded in the collective unconscious until I mentioned to a friend a few years back that my now husband and I were considering getting married at The Stanley Hotel, the Colorado landmark where the movie version of this book was set.

"Are you insane?" she said to me. "You cannot do that. I will spend the entire ceremony waiting for blood to start pouring out the elevators."

We got married down the road instead.
Jason Koivu
I would love to get a gig as the caretaker for a remote hotel over winter, said no one after reading this.

The Shining is about...oh come on...If you don't know what The Shining is about by now it's because you've been living under a rock in the back of a cave for the last few decades, and frankly, you've got more important things to catch up on. Here, let me get you started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFSyBB...

The first third of the book provides a great set up to the horror that awaits, eve...more
Kira
Sep 20, 2011 Kira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Valiant King fans
Recommended to Kira by: A valiant King fan
One of the few good things my father ever bothered to give me was an interest in Stephen King. Trufax.

Look, I'm a YA girl. I read juvenile crap, and then I tear it apart afterwards, and that's good for me. But every so often, wading through a miasma of commercialized garbage gets a little tough on the ol' thinker, and you have to pick up a real book and do some real reading.

This book is a classic for me, more than Things Fall Apart or Wuthering Heights or other such poorly written, overpraised...more
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 27, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Shelves: 1001-core, horror
God knows I tried very hard to like this book. Two reasons why I struggled very hard reading and liking this book:

1) I saw the movie prior to reading the book. I liked the movie. Contrary to King's comment that he did not like it (at first; later he recanted and said he liked it already), I enjoyed the movie compared to the book. But while reading, I just did not feel the same eagerness and fright as I knew who the main characters were, the plot, the conflict, the climax but the ending was fuzzy
Shayantani Das
This book was an utter failure for me in respect of a horror novel.

Didn’t scare me, nah, not at all, didn’t even make me wince. And I am just 17 and finished this novel around midnight, in my bed, where I sleep alone, with windows in my room which makes strange creaking noises.

Now, if I mentally remove the horror tag from the novel, then I might give it a 3.5 star.

Reasons: Nice plot, nice insight into an alcoholic’s mind, Jack and Wendy’s back story, the chilling detail of Jack’s father (only...more
Trudi
Jack Torrence thought: officious little prick ~The Shining (1977)
**Note: I chose not to put this review behind a spoiler tag. Below I discuss both the book and the movie assuming if you're reading this, you're familiar with both.

Even though Stephen King's primary reputation has been 'America's boogeyman', I can count on one hand the number of pure horror novels I feel he's published (and they all come early in his career) -- 'Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, It, Misery and of course, The Shining. King...more
Rowena
I haven’t read Stephen King in years and The Shining came highly recommended. It’s been quite difficult to convince me to read a book of a movie I’ve already watched and I’ve watched The Shining countless times. However, I am so glad I read this book.

This is one of the best psychological horrors I’ve ever read. It definitely goes into more detail than the movie, so much so that I actually had more sympathy for Jack. I could also understand Wendy’s pain better and I became quite the fan of Danny...more
Becky
This has always been one of my favorite books. I have read it more times than I can count since the first time, when I was about 9 or 10 I think. I've gone through at least three copies, and I am sure that I will go through at least that many, if not more, in the future. The Shining is one of those books that I can re-read over and over. I'm sure that it must bug Stephen King that his older books are the ones that people always feel this way about... but the money I spend in new copies will, I h...more
Rebecca
3.5
I expected to be blown away....I really really wasn't.

Always slightly unwilling to go against what everyone thinks but I can't help it. It leaves me confused thinking, really? This book? What's wrong with me.

I like some parts of it, the characters were great to read. I loved the spookiness of the hotel and the ghostly business going on.

But frankly.....

Scary topiary? No
Scary fire hose things? No

These things are giggle worthy I'm afraid Mr. King

No matter how much freakiness you put into it, a...more
Arah-Lynda
I agree with all the other goodread’s voices that say this, is an easy five stars. Done. Even though I have seen the movie at least twice and I am a consistent King fan, with, okay, a couple of exceptions, this story reeled me in from the get go.

Is it dark and horrifying? Why yes it is, indeed, I would add that anyone seriously interested in writing great suspense, should pay close attention. It is told by a Master.

The movie positively pales in comparison.

Read it! Everybody should.
Lou
"The place Tony had warned him against. It was here. It was her. Whatever Redrum was, it was here."

The Shining brings the reader to the supernatural and the psychotic, it displays Stephen Kings skill and masterful in the conjuring of a tale with everyday people, everyday demons and monsters within, pitted against adversity and the supernatural.
He chose a hotel as a setting for this tale, an eery insidious place that summons the unsavoury of people and once allowed room and the person enraged tur...more
Jonathan
Janie Johnson
OMG this book truly was amazing. This could easily rate as my favorite if it weren't for It. I am just sorry it took me this long to get to it. I felt as though I was totally immersed in this and actually became a part of the story. I could not help myself from turning the pages, and quickly I might add.

The characters were so vivid and I could tell that they were carefuly constructed. And I will never forget them. My favorite character(s) in the book would have to be Danny and Mr. Hallorann. Be...more
Wart Hill
buddy read with Sha and Andrea.

prepare yourselves for creepy gifs.

And the red death held sway over all.

This book is insidious.

It creeps into your mind, slowly, carefully. The Overlook torments not just the characters on the pages, but the reader, hooked and engrossed and unable to put it down. King's writing builds it up slowly to the final show down between one little boy and the hotel that wants to destroy everything he holds dear.

And I loved every minute of it. Even when I was creeped out and...more
Brandon
A few weeks ago, I went to see Norm MacDonald perform stand-up. He did a bit where he talked about how people often let their friends off the hook when they're guilty of being a bit of an asshole. They say that old often used expression, "Oh, well that's just *insert friend's name* being *friend's name*." Like Norm, I find that's a terrible excuse. If that's just your friend being himself, well.. your friend is a bit of a shithead.

Jack Torrence often loses his temper and while no one says, "Well...more
Priscilla
Really enjoyed the 'fullness' of this book.

Quick thoughts:

1) Not terribly frightening. Creepy though.
2) The family unit. I was in awe, despite the baggage and past mistakes these characters had, their was a lot of effort and love in this family.
3) Writing style is amazing. Loved the narration of the story.
4) Loved the characters. Well developed with backstory, and how they've changed throughout the book.
5) REDRUM. That was a jaw-dropper :D

Going to watch the movie soon, and full review up tonight...more
Peter Meredith
What can I say about The Shining that hasn't already been said? Nothing noteworthy I'm betting since there are already over 5000 reviews here on Goodreads.
Two things only:
1-The Shining is one of the few books that have ever freaked me out. Yes I read it as a teenager, but some of the images (the bloated dead woman in the bathtub) still stick with me.
2-I've been to the "Overlook Hotel" (actually The Stanley Hotel) on a number of occasions; once with the intended purpose to get a "vibe". I sat alo...more
Stephen King books...what do you suggest? 122 491 17 hours, 57 min ago
Audiobooks UK-USA : Paranormal Suspense Favorites 2 3 Jul 24, 2014 09:06AM
Do horror novels really scare you? 149 671 Jul 15, 2014 09:28PM
Where Do You Buy Books? 103 444 Jul 14, 2014 07:22AM
Name your top 5 Stephen King novels and why. 69 487 Jul 07, 2014 06:06PM
Ending to the shining movie 13 76 Jul 03, 2014 07:10AM
  • Fludd
  • The Hellbound Heart
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • The Dunwich Horror and Others
  • Creepshow
  • Carrion Comfort
  • The Other
  • Night Visions 5
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, M...more
More about Stephen King...
The Stand It Misery Carrie The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)

67 trivia questions
7 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters.” 496 likes
“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in.” 92 likes