Start by marking “Precinct Puerto Rico (Luis Gonzalo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Precinct Puerto Rico (Luis Gonzalo, #1)

Precinct Puerto Rico (Luis Gonzalo #1)

Near Rincón, Puerto Rico, 1987.
Even a tropical paradise may have its little murders.

In his years as sheriff of Angustias, a small town nestled in Puerto Rico's mountainous heart, Luis Gonzalo has seen his share of violence. People kill for love and money in Angustias just as they do anywhere else. But it is during a visit to his wife's family in the seaside town of Rincón
Published June 4th 2002 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Precinct Puerto Rico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Precinct Puerto Rico

Sherri F.
Oct 03, 2015 Sherri F. rated it liked it
3 to 3.5 - This is #1 in the Luis Gonzalo series and is a pretty good start to the series (published 13 yrs ago). However, it wasn't quite as good as the only other one I have read so far, which was #2 (Death in Precinct Puerto Rico). In this one I enjoyed many of the characters more than how the story-line went in some places. I felt it ended slightly abruptly and not really a slow or moderate transition. It is paced pretty well and does a good job capturing police procedure, esp. in comparing ...more
 Olivermagnus
This book is the first in a series set in Angustias, Puerto Rico featuring Sheriff Luis Gonzalo. In his years as sheriff of Angustias, a small town in the mountains of Puerto Rico, Gonzalo has seen people kill for all sorts of reasons. During a visit to his wife's family in Rincon, a cozy seaside town, he's called to the beach where bodies of an apparent shipwreck begin washing in. It appears they were illegally trying to escape from the Dominican Republic. Before long evidence begins to reveal ...more
Josh
Jul 18, 2011 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: own, crime, read_2011
Small town Angustais situated in the mountains of Puerto Rico is about to have its world turned upside down courtesy of across town corrupt cops embroiled in people smuggling from the Dominican Republic with local town sheriff Luis Gonzalo the only one standing between mass murder and justice. The ‘green’ police presence of Angustais had little to do with murder and armed combat in recent times but that’s soon to change when a bank is seemingly robbed and guns drawn. Little did they know, a mere ...more
Vanessa
Sep 05, 2010 Vanessa rated it it was ok
The main reasons why I like "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" is for the setting and the sophisticated writing. And while "Precinct Puerto Rico" has an exotic setting, the writing is most definitely not sophisticated. It many ways the voice and tone help the setting, but Torres is heavy handed in his explanations and point of view, which is inconsistent and often confusing.

Mark served his mission in Puerto Rico and we went back there in 2002 on vacation. I really enjoyed the trip and got to see s
Doug Sacks
May 21, 2013 Doug Sacks rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-titles
This was my first YA mystery and I am so glad I read it. I was kept interested the whole time and the opening chapter was honestly worthy of any John Grisham-style novel. It was just violent and gritty enough to be realistic for today's teens while it didn't lose a little of the "happy ending" flavor that maybe teens still want. The Puerto Rican flavor was authentic for me without being stereotypical at all. I am trying to focus a little more on Hispanic/Latino titles so I can recommend to my st ...more
Marian Allen
Mar 27, 2011 Marian Allen rated it really liked it
I read this first book in the Precinct Puerto Rico series in a couple of days--very fast for me, since I only read for a short while before going to sleep. The fast pace of the action and the wonderful characters kept me turning the pages. Not that there's no depth--there is. I feel connected with this place I've never been and these people who only live because Steven Torres says they do.

Immediately bought another Torres book about Precinct Puerto Rico!
Ronald C.
Mar 16, 2012 Ronald C. rated it it was ok
I read most of Steven Torres police procedural novels last summer. They are good tales as far as they go, and his main character, Luis Gonzalo, is portrayed as a competent, likable chap (perhaps an anomaly as for a Puerto Rican police officer). I was particularly interested in the setting of each or the stories--a ficticious small town out on the island. Bottom line: competent, police procedurals made more interesting by the setting.
Wendy
I began this book for the mystery US State Challenge. Puerto Rico is a Territory, so I included it.
This novel is fascinating with its descriptions of the island's people, culture, land, history, general outlook. The storyline and characters are intriguing. However, something in the author's style was just off for me. The last chapters of the book were unrealistic and just turned me off.
Melissa
Sep 03, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! I loved how it was centered around Puerto Rico. It may not be you typical murder mystery but it was good in it's own way. I'm actually going to continue with the other three remaining books and told my family about them (since we all all readers and we are from Puerto Rico) and they are going to look into them as well.
Daisy
Apr 05, 2009 Daisy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those detective books again!!!! This is a closer look not only at the corruption of the police on my lovely island, Puerto Rico, but, at police corruption all over the world. It's just upsetting to know the people who you thought were protecting you are actually doing other things. Think about it.........
Dave
Jun 04, 2012 Dave rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Lots of action in this one, but not much character development. That being said, it was a quick, fun read, and I did enjoy it. My personal preference is for stories that spend time getting into the characters' heads more than this one did. I'll check out at least one more in the series to see where it goes.
Dave
Apr 09, 2009 Dave rated it it was ok
Read this for the PR setting. Not a mystery, a police story with some really underdeveloped characters and the only dramatic driver being people in peril from corrupt police. Pretty eh.
Josie
Jan 09, 2011 Josie rated it really liked it
Really liked it, Read it for the Puerto Rican setting and stayed to enjoy the mystery novel.
Carmen Baez
Carmen Baez marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Mar
Mar rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Josselyne
Josselyne marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Isyss
Isyss rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Laura Mora
Laura Mora marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Ben Ring
Ben Ring marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Ramesh Abhiraman
Ramesh Abhiraman rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Emily Von pfahl
Emily Von pfahl marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
David Hahn
David Hahn rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Jimmie Lee Johnson
Jimmie Lee Johnson rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Randall Luttenberg
Randall Luttenberg marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Angel Roldan
Angel Roldan marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Steven Torres was born in the Bronx, spent part of his childhood in Puerto Rico and has authored six previously published novels. He teaches English in Connecticut where he lives with wife and daughter.
More about Steven Torres...

Luis Gonzalo (5 books)
  • Death in Precinct Puerto Rico (Luis Gonzalo, #2)
  • Burning Precinct Puerto Rico (Luis Gonzalo, #3)
  • Missing in Precinct Puerto Rico (Luis Gonzalo, #4)
  • Blackout in Precinct Puerto Rico (Luis Gonzalo, #5)