Start by marking “Calypso (87th Precinct, #33)” as Want to Read:
Calypso (87th Precinct, #33)

Calypso (87th Precinct #33)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  18 reviews
What a lousy way to die. Calypso King George Chadderton, murdered on a wet September street in the 87th precinct. Detectives carella & Meyer shake their heads in the grey drizzle. Cops can do withouth brains spattered on the sidewalk on a wet city night...
Published 1980 by Pan Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Calypso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calypso

Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorBilly Elliot by Melvin BurgessJezebel by Koko BrownThe Twelve Dancing Princesses by Marianna MayerThe Spiral Dance by Starhawk
Dancing
38th out of 108 books — 39 voters
Oliver Twist by Charles DickensSave Me the Waltz by Zelda FitzgeraldThe Killing Dance by Laurell K. HamiltonDancing Girls by Margaret AtwoodThe Twelve Dancing Princesses by Marianna Mayer
Dance Metaphors in Titles
33rd out of 94 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

James Thane
George Chadderton is a musician who bills himself as the "Calypso King." Late one rainy September night, he leaves a gig with his manager and as the two are walking down the street someone comes up from behind them and shoots George to death. The killer also wounds George's manager in the shoulder. The manager falls to the ground and the killer stands over him and fires directly at his head. But the gun is empty and the killer is forced to flee, leaving the manager still alive.

A few hours later,
Paul
A solid entry into the 87th Precinct universe, this one certainly embraces the darkness deeper. Higher levels of gore, sexual depravity and torture accompany this journey. McBain's publishers must have asked him to up the ante on the sex and violence in this one.

In a plotline reminiscent of As Long As You Both Shall Live, Carella and Meyer track a series of murders of seemingly unrelated victims that begin with the street shooting of a musician and his manager. What follows is a wallow in the mi
Skip
King George Chadderton is shot to death walking to the subway after his successful Calypso show, and his manager is shot too. A few hours later, a young black prostitute is killed with the same gun although Steve Carella and Meyer Meyer will not figure this out for days. Are the two murders linked, and if so, how? Chadderton is a talented musician, but egotistical and not well liked. He has been searching for years for his younger brother, Santo, who disappeared after a gig seven years ago. Stev ...more
columbialion
I've read many of McBain's books, for me he really sets the standard for the "police procedural", I find his earlier works are his best. This one in particular is the first which the antagonist is a psycopath, in the tradition of Norman Bates. How the author weaves the story line to Carella making the arrest is very realistic to how real serial killers are found....simply by a lucky break. I recall in the Son of Sam case back in the 70"s, he was found as a result of a parking ticket issued on h ...more
Gizzard
Every now and then I read one of the 87th Precinct books and they are just a bid odd. There was one that was a bit of a polemic about Mexican jails and prostitutes. No polemic in this one, but it does start with a couple murders and then veers into a very strange plot point that is not well explored or developed.
Tony Gleeson
A typical procedural with the boys from the 87th Precinct, but the story of two related murders goes into some very dark and disturbing territory. I love that you never know where he's going to take you on these excursions.Unlike some ongoing series, I can read several of these and they stay pretty fresh!
Randy
Knocked out another of the 87th Precinct series. Five more, all early ones, to complete the series.

In CALYPSO, the so-called King of Calypso music is murdered headed home from his latest gig. His manager is also shot, but he survives because the shooter ran out of information. A few hours later a hooker is killed with the same gun.

Steve Carello and Meyer Meyer catch the case and start looking into it. It takes a few days for them to connect the two cases. About the same time as someone finishes
Teresa Stevens
Just OK

really like McBain's books normally but this one was just OK For some reason it as early d y to put down.
Herb Hastings
Not one of his best. The solution to the mystery belongs in a Stephen King novel rather than a police procedural. That said the book is as strong a page turner as is expected from McBain.
Pat
Not a favorite.
Cathy
Not my favorite book from the 87th precinct series, but it was pretty good. The reader knows who the killer is early in the book, but of course the police do not. So we're waiting for the detectives to come upon the evidence to lead them to where we already are (although we don't have all the info as to why the killer is killing these people). There is also a connected plot line about a kidnap victim which is more gruesome than I was in the mood for. A good book, but as I say, not my favorite.
Amicus (David Barnett)
Somewhat gruesome in places.
Robin Edman
This book was incredibly slow and dull at the beginning. Then it became rather ludicrous -- all of a sudden. Then, once that happened, the book settled into being kinda interesting. I do like the way his cop personalities for the most part do not intrude on the story. I kinda wish I had grabbed more McBain during the big $1.99 intro sale, but, really, I would not pay full price for another of his books, so it's just as well.
Eduardo
Leitura agradável, se bem que o livro esteja um pouco ultrapassado (é de 1979). O português do Brasil também não ajudou muito (mas isso foi culpa minha, que comprei o livro). Depois de uns "birutas", "baitas" e "tiras", resta-me o consolo de estar praticamente actualizado com o novo AO ("Setores", por exemplo).
Enfim, mais um livro do Distrito 87, com os já conhecidos Carella, Meyer Meyer, Fat Ollie Weeks e companhia.
Sandi
Not as good as some and a little too gory for me.
  • Candyland
  • The Buck Passes Flynn (Flynn, #2)
  • Damned in Paradise (Nathan Heller, #9)
  • Gently Does It
  • Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2)
  • The Outcry
  • Poetry, Tales and Selected Essays
  • Noble Cause, A
  • Stardom Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #12)
  • Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3)
  • Exceptional Clearance
  • Berlin: A Novel
  • The Wedding Ransom (The Wedding, #2)
  • Rumpole's Return
  • The Kill: A Hunt Country Suspense Novel
  • Swimming with the Dead (An Underwater Investigation Book 1)
  • Devil's Food (A Loretta Kovacs Thriller, #1)
  • The Water Cure
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • The Pusher: An 87th Precinct Novel (87th Precinct #3)
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct #7)
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct #10)
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)