Whiteout: Melt

Whiteout: Melt (Whiteout #2)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  650 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The sequel to the original groundbreaking series, Whiteout: Melt reteams author Greg Rucka (Batman: No Man's Land, the Atticus Kodiak novels) and illustrator Steve Lieber (Grendel Tales) for another adventure with U.S. Marshall Carrie Stetko on the deadly ice of Antarctica. Winner of a 1999 Eisner Award, Whiteout: Melt is a must-have for the bookshelves of fans of crime fi...more
Published August 21st 2000 by Oni Press (first published August 4th 2000)

100 Bullets, Vol. 1 by Brian AzzarelloFatale, Vol. 1 by Ed BrubakerChew, Vol. 1 by John LaymanCriminal, Vol. 1 by Ed BrubakerPowers, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael Bendis
Crime Comics & Graphic Novels
36th out of 93 books — 26 voters
Batman by Grant MorrisonWatchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Jeph LoebThe Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Alan Moore
Graphic Novels With The Best Artwork
129th out of 166 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

StoryTellerShannon
This is a sequel to the Whiteout novels. I have more details about it in the first book so you should check out that review for additional information.

So as to not repeat myself this is a return to the U.S. Marshall (Carrie Stetko) banished to Antarctica who has grown fond of it yet finds herself embroiled in something no longer local but international. I found the tale fun enough but nowhere near as good as the first novel which probably explains why a third novel in the series never came out....more
Sesana
Whiteout: Melt returns to the Antarctic with the same lead character as the previous volume, Marshall Carrie Stetko. This time, the mystery is much less of one, and more of an espionage story. And actually, I was fine with that. We all know that Rucka can write a spy tale. And like the previous volume, there was a solid enough background of fact that this particular spy tale was entirely believable. This could actually happen. May have already happened. But realism isn't enough to carry a story,...more
Mike
Rucka does a better job in this book making you feel what it's like to be on the ice - how bitterly cold, unforgiving, deadly, desolate. Somehow the contrast of the impersonal behemoth of nature at its deepest works well against the hot seethe and cold calculations of Carrie Stetko. I wouldn't want to hang around this woman for very long, but I'd sure want her on my side.

I wish I had half the bravery/stupid perseverance that she brings to the job. I'm basically a lazy guy, and though I'll keep k...more
Jarrah
I was really excited to read this after finishing the first Whiteout novel. Whiteout: Melt has the same awesome protagonist, U.S. Marshal Carrie Stetko, and we get to learn even more about her background and her various professional and personal struggles. Melt also tells us a lot more about the history of Antarctica, beyond just the major explorers a lot of us would've heard of. It's really fascinating and makes what might seem like an unlikely espionage story plausible.

I really enjoyed Melt bu...more
Ira
Not quite as good as the original, but still enjoyable.
Debbie
U.S. Marshal Carrie Stetko's vacation is interrupted when the government insists she return to Antarctica to investigate a possible attack on a Russian outpost that may have been illegally storing weapons. She's been promised an assignment back "in the world" if she succeeds in bringing evidence back to the U.S. officials in New Zealand. She does goes back to investigate, meets a Russian agent doing the same, and they go out on "The Ice" in search of the team that attacked and killed all the sci...more
Megan
The sequel to Whiteout was just as good as the first book, in my opinion. It had a little more action, because it was more of an espionage tale than a murder mystery. If you liked Whiteout, it's definitely worth a read. Not only is Greg Rucka an awesome, classic "just the guts" kind of spy/detective writer, but the artwork in all the Whiteout books is beautiful. Drawn by Steve Leiber in black and white, the many ink effects used for different types of snow as well as the contrasting of close-up...more
Jordan
Not quite as interesting as the first volume. While I thought some of the "surprises" of the first volume's plot got telegraphed a bit too much, at least it had some complexity and mystery to it. This volume's plot on the other hand was pretty straightforward: chase the bad guys across the ice. Which is still fun, but kind of a little bit of a let down after the previous volume.
Gayle Francis Moffet
A great sequel to the original Whiteout (which I liked quite a bit). Marshal Carrie is back on the ice dealing with spies and possible stolen nukes, and it's a fantastic read from start to finish with Carrie's own view of the ice juxtaposed against the baddies and their fight with it.

Lieber's art improves in this volume. I could tell all the dudes apart. There are times where it seems that Carrie's obvious injury doesn't exist, but it's a minor quibble in a book with great character moments, an...more
Anthony

Rucka and Lieber's Whiteout GNs are stylish and fun. Both of them are set in Antarctica and follow the investigations of US Marshall Carrie Stetko. She's not a beauty queen and she's not a superhero. She's just a person who has exiled herself from the rest of the world, and tries to keep the peace with the rest of the exiles on the last frontier.

The style comes from the inversion of typical comic book art. Most B&W GNs focus on shadows and background elements. Lieber uses the white space to...more
Doreen
I actually liked this volume better than the first in the series. Carrie is so definitively bad-ass here, and much more emotionally stable than in the first book. I also thought Greg Rucka's writing lends itself better to the thriller/spy genre than to a murder mystery. Right until the end, I wondered whether Carrie would or wouldn't fulfill mission parameters: I, for one, think she made the right choice.

I also really liked Steve Lieber's art in this volume. His style looks way better depicting...more
Pturingan
Much faster paced than the first volume although the plot is a bit like your standard spy thriller. I have to agree with other reviewers here on the site who also said that the continent of Antartica is actually the most interesting "character" in the story.

I've read somewhere that a third volume is in the works. I'll certainly be getting that one too when it comes out.

Like the first one though, I have the same (minor) complaint- what's the point of calling this collection "The Definitive Editio...more
Robert Beveridge
Greg Rucka, Whiteout, vol. 2: Melt (Oni Press, 2000)

One of the reasons I recommend Whiteout so strongly is because once you've read it, you will be prepared for its sequel, Melt. Carrie is back in the world, but convinced to go back to Antarctica and take one more case, which involves shipments of weapons (weapons are illegal for the general populace to have in Antarctica). Rucka seems to have a slightly more solid handle on his characters here, and he puts them in some very interesting situatio...more
Reuben Negron
Same Carrie Stetko, completely different book. The first introduced you to the ice amidst a murder mystery that held action, suspense and... well, mystery. Melt has none of that. It's a straightforward linear story with nothing to think about, wonder or care about. We already know the ice is a cold bitch so Stetko's descriptions do little to expand on that aspect. Instead of intrigue we are given a slow chase. The difference between Whiteout and Whiteout: Melt is that complexity. For being an ac...more
Skjam!
May 23, 2014 Skjam! rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans, lovers of ice and snow
Recommended to Skjam! by: Steve Lieber
I liked it. Full review of this and the first volume at my blog.

Jeff
May 08, 2014 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
Solid crime book, with a bit of spy-twists thrown in. Not as involved or nuanced as the original, but still a fun book, if getting stuck in a crevasse in the ice with a Russian spy is fun. And, apparently, it is.
Emily
Not quite as compelling as the first installment in this world, but the depiction of Antarctica is so well done. I can't say I ever want to go there, but it is certainly a strange, mysterious, and frightening place.

Although the story in the first book was somewhat implausible, this one takes that to new levels. A bit more difficult to get lost in the story, but easy to be brought along with the characters, who are just so well written.
Marissa
I reread the first Whiteout and then read this second volume recently. I remember feeling pretty meh about the first Whiteout when I read it a couple years ago, but the second read made me wonder why I hadn't liked it that much. I really like the main character here and the tone of the novels, along with the brilliant Antarctica setting which really adds a lot of atmosphere to them also.
I read this on the day of a blizzard, and the atmosphere of Antarctica really worked for me. Unfortunately, the plot was thin on the ground and the romantic subplot slapped together, without enough characterization to make up for it. Overall, a completely mediocre story, and a definite step down from the first graphic novel. (Lieber's art remained gorgeous, though.)
Emilia P
Spoilers: Eh, the cool lady narrator falls in a hole and then does a Russian dude in an igloo they made while they look for nukes. Ummm I would care except I don't. It was a nice segue into how working in Antartica prepares people to work on space travel (in the other book I'm reading), and also a good way to use white space for art. Nothing terrible, nothing great.
Katie
I liked "Melt" better than the first "Whiteout" volume. This second installment is more thriller than mystery, and we see a more sensitive side of Carrie. Plus, the stakes are higher, and the ice is truly a frightening force to be reckoned with. Great follow-up to Rucka's initial success with the first volume.
Ashley Tate
I liked this one even better than its predecessor. The landscape, so strong and full of agency, took on a character of its own--terrifying, beautiful, cunning and charming. I was also glad to watch our protagonist melt a bit so that the reader could come to understand her on a more personal, human level.
Jessica
A worthy sequel to the original Whiteout. I'm only giving it 3* though because I feel that the story was too short and not fleshed out as well as the first. It actually makes you wish that this was a monthly series so you can get further into the story. Leiber's artwork was even better than the 1st.
Matt
Here's what I was planning to write for my goodreads review:
"My favorite character? Antarctica."
Here's what the author wrote in the afterward (no spoilers):
"I found that I liked Antarctica as a character... more than... Carrie."
Great minds think alike.
Meran
In this second in the series graphic novel, presents a second interesting murder mystery "on the Ice" in Anarctica, with a female protagonist!. Excellent writing and excellent story-telling art.
I would gladly read more about this main character.
Janet
Rucka seems to like writing tough women, and his police officer in Antarctica is as tough as nails. The story is suspenseful, and the artwork by Steve Lieber is excellent. Antarctica is a very much a character in the story, too.
Matt
Loved it. Carrie Stetko is one of the most dynamic and realistic characters in contemporary graphic novels. Definitely was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole novel - can't say it's better than the first, though.
Ryan Mishap
This one was at the library also and I had hours to kill. I'm actually drawing a blank on how to describe this. I guess I'll say that if you loved the first one and you don't want to see it end, then this is for you.
Lindsey Stock
This one is not nearly as strong as the first one: it wasn't as suspenseful and the mystery part of the story was less intriguing and slightly predictable. The lead character still remains awesome though.
Alex
Nov 02, 2012 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: visual
Actually I liked this one more than #1, though #1 has a more complex storyline and character development. The result was that #1 felt really slow. This one, if anything, felt a little too fast.
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 4
  • Richard Stark's Parker: Slayground
  • The Goon, Volume 6: Chinatown and The Mystery of Mr. Wicker
  • Scalped, Volume 3: Dead Mothers
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • The Beast of Chicago: An Account of the Life and Crimes of Herman W. Mudgett, Known to the World As H.H. Holmes
  • Capote in Kansas
  • Cities In Dust (Wasteland, #1)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 5: Ends of the Earth
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...
Batwoman: Elegy Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 Batman: No Man's Land Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1 Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 2