Start by marking “Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)” as Want to Read:
Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)

Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope #3)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  313 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Matthew Hope spots her on Saturday, exquisitely beautiful, strolling topless on the beach. On Monday, she shows up in his law office, beaten and bruised, ready to file for divorce. By Tuesday, she is dead--and her big, ugly husband is arrested for murder. But Matthew believes he is innocent; now, he has to prove it.
Published July 15th 1982 by Hamish Hamilton (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty And The Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty And The Beast

ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
This is a beauty and the beast meets In The Heat of the Night (TV show). It's was interesting. This French beauty meets and falls in love with an army guy, a big hulk-like black man (described as King Kong, black as coal, ugly as hell etc).

She shows up to a lawyers office requesting a divorce due to spousal battery and the next day, she's found beaten to death. The town is an uproar over the beast killing the beauty and all the hidden racial animus bubbles to the surface. However, this story ill
Cathy DuPont
Feb 25, 2013 Cathy DuPont rated it liked it
The characters, especially the protagonist, and the storyline in books have about equal value when I rate books.

Although this book is number three in the series, of attorney Matthew Hope, it’s the fourth book in the series which I’ve read and my bonus for all of them is that they are set on the southwest coast of Florida, south of Tampa, in fictional Calusa.

It was good, don’t get me wrong but the storyline left a lot to be desired. To top it off, the reader learned of insignificant law cases, mo
Charles
Apr 27, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked it a lot. I really enjoy the Matthew Hope mysteries. It's interesting that McBain can have the character leading a relatively normal life while having all these things happen around him, and yet it doesn't slow down the book's pace. Nicely handled. I've read several others in this series and likely will read them all.
Gerald Kinro
Feb 22, 2015 Gerald Kinro rated it liked it
A Matthew Hope novel set in Florida. Divorce lawyer is drawn into a criminal case when he must defend the seemingly guilty Beast for murdering his wife, the Beauty. Not just murdered, but burned to death on the beach. Only the day before, she had come to hope for help in getting a divorce. Hope somehow has faith in the beast and painstakingly, against the odds, works for his client.

This is a good mystery that McBain succeeds in drawing the reader in and leading along. He explores an area that w
Chy
Jun 18, 2012 Chy rated it liked it
This is a history of how I found and read this book. Yes---how I read it. Which, I discovered, was...weird, when stacked against the kinds of books Ed McBain seems to write and, hell, the fact that this seems to be third in a series.

So I found it in Goodwill. It's a hardcover with a lighter gray color to it. Red lettering (on the spine only) let me know the author's last name, the title, and the publisher. I love Beauty and the Beast stories, but it's not like I expected this one to be a retelli
Allison
I read a description of this series somewhere that tagged it as 'X-rated fairy tales.' I guess the idea of racial mixing was a lot more horrifying to people in the early 80s, when a black man and a white woman having sex didn't even bear thinking of. While this book does use a lot of visual imagery that is erotic, I've read pulp romances with more actual sex in them. I guess that's not the point of a mystery, even a supposed sexy mystery.
The writing style and the characters in this book strongly
Nella
Oct 11, 2015 Nella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, adult, audiobook
Lack of mobile phones etc dates this book, but still holds up. Guessed the baddy by CD 3
Lee
Matthew Hope was on the beach with his girlfriend, Dana when they noticed a beautiful woman jogging down the beach. The next time Matthew saw her, she was dead and her husband has asked Matthew to represent him when is is charged with murder. Not a criminal attorney by experience, he is reluctant to take the case but finds no other reputable attorney is willing to represent George Harper and Matthew feels obligated to try.
Courtney
Jul 14, 2012 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is another one that I haven't read in years, most likely not since I was 14-16, somewhere around there. I found it while searching through a Half Price Books with my father and thinking it was of the fairy tale variety, was instead pleasantly surprised by the subject matter. An excellent novel that preys on people's preconceived notions, and one where I truly believe the ending is nearly impossible to predict.
Sheldon Lehman
Apr 20, 2011 Sheldon Lehman rated it it was ok
It reminds me a lot of Lawrence Sanders' Archy McNally Series, only the protagonist actually has a job.
Nancy
Aug 16, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
I like the Matthew Hope series. This is an easy read with an interesting plot.
Gizzard
Aug 16, 2013 Gizzard rated it liked it
Shelves: 32013
A decent lawyer myster but a bit dated.
Miss
Oct 21, 2010 Miss rated it it was ok
It was no Ian banks.
Marti Garren
Marti Garren marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Robin Christopher
Robin Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
James Kubecki
James Kubecki marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Constance
Constance rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Mark Danz
Mark Danz marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Jc0llier
Jc0llier marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
J David
J David marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Tom Landis
Tom Landis marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
melissa m albert
melissa m albert marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Marian.
Marian. marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Nadiem
Nadiem rated it it was ok
May 03, 2016
Rukonoh Plešatý
Rukonoh Plešatý rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
suzan johnson
suzan johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
  • Candyland
  • Sugartown (Amos Walker, #5)
  • Zero Separation (Donovan Nash #3)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • Breeder
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • Interest Of Justice
  • The Drive-In: A Double-Feature Omnibus
  • Ten Commandments Twice Removed
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Tomorrow File
  • The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Collins (The DCI Jones Casebook #2)
  • The Cleanup
  • When Michael Calls
  • The Shadow Box
  • The Case of the Ill-Gotten Goat
  • Perfect Little Angels
  • The Damned
Excerpted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_McBain

"Ed McBain" (October 15, 1926 – July 6, 2005) is one of the pen names of an American author and screenwriter. Born Salvatore Albert Lombino, he legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956. He a
More about Ed McBain...

Matthew Hope (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
  • Jack And The Beanstalk (Matthew Hope, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)
  • Puss in Boots
  • The House That Jack Built (Matthew Hope, #8)
  • Three Blind Mice
  • Mary, Mary
  • There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)