Lady, Lady, I Did It! (87th Precinct #14)

Lady, Lady, I Did It! (87th Precinct #14)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A New York Times Bestselling AuthorThe first thing Detectives Steve Carella and Bert Kling saw was four bodies soaked in blood. Then Kling realized that one of those crumpled on the bookshop floor was Claire Townsend, his fiancie! And that's when the bookstore massacre stopped being just another murder case to the boys of the 87th Precinct. For Bert Kling was one of their...more
Paperback, 1 page
Published September 1st 1982 by Signet (first published 1961)

James Thane
The fourteenth entry in Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series hits close to home for the detectives of the precinct. Indian Summer has rolled around again in Isola, and on a late afternoon a gunman callously murders four people in a bookstore. The gunman gets away and the survivors are unable to provide a decent description. One of his victims, though, is closely tied to Detective Bert Kling.

The case thus takes on personal overtones for Kling and for the other detectives on the squad as well because...more
Sandi
The bulls of the 87th Precinct are called in to investigate a mass shooting at a bookstore. Published in 1961, this was a very readable entry in this classic police procedural series.
Tom
The crew of the 87th Precinct has become a solid staple for me over the past few years. This time, the girlfriend of one of the detectives is shot down in a mass shooting at a book store. Sadly, due to mass shootings, this story could happen today and we wouldn't blink. By making it such a personal story, McBain really elevates his game. And with the back story of abortion interweaving the last half of the book, you get a real sense of the ethical and moral quandaries of the time. Very well done...more
Trowzers
Say what you will about Ed McBain stories - they know what they are and they do it well. Short length, always progressing and enough character flavor to make it perfect popcorn reading. Written in 1961, some aspects of the story haven't aged so well, but others (such as the typing of forms on carbon paper) only add to the story, giving them the feeling of a day home sick from work cruising the TV channels for cheesy midday movies that don't tax the brain overmuch and don't try too hard.

Some of t...more
Marcia
1. Best one yet. (I'm reading them in order. Starting with #1.)

2. We're still in late 1950s 87th Precinct. That said, Tahmoh Penikett as Bert Kling. Yum.
Mitch
Although this book was written in the early 1960's, it is so timely and current, especially with the two major public shootings that have occured recently. "Lady, Lady, I Did It" by Ed McBain is the 2nd book I've read in his police series about a public shooting that occurs seemingly randomly in a bookstore, leaving four dead.

The following may or may not contain spoilers.

It's a lazy and uneventful Indian summer when the police are informed that there was a shooting at a local bookstore, hospita...more
Jeff
Lady, Lady, I Did It! (1961)

Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct boys take this one personally when Bert Kling’s girlfriend is killed in a bookstore shooting. These books often rotate back and forth between two cases or sub-plots, but in this case the main mystery is so multi-faceted that he doesn’t need to do that. Claire Townsend, Kling’s social worker girlfriend is one of four people shot in a bookstore shooting and the investigation forces the gang to start with resentments against all four victims, w...more
Cathy
Good story. A gunman goes into a small bookshop and starts shooting - four die, two more are injured. Going on the premise that it was not just a random shooting (which could be wrong), the detectives of the 87th precinct decide that in order to find the killer, they must first determine who was the real target of the shooting, the rest just being collateral damage. Several possibilities present themselves before the real target, then the killer, is revealed. One of the four victims is someone w...more
Cheryl Barnett
When (view spoiler) is a victim of a multiple homicide, the entire 87th Precinct feels the pain. They work the case tirelessly, in the way 1967 detectives had to work the case - by pounding the pavement and piecing together all the clues. No surveillance cameras, no GPS tracking, no DNA testing, no Internet research. Leads are followed, people are questioned, and ultimately a perpetrator is booked.

I thoroughly enjoyed this...more
Paula Watkins
Great police procedural in the 87th Precinct series. This was written in the early 1960s, but seemed eerily timely since it's about a mass shooting in a public place.
Jenny
Skip
Wow. McBain starts this novel off with the murder of a significant character, setting the 87th Precinct on edge. Four people are killed in a spree, and the motive eludes the bulls (detectives) until the very end, when the return of evidence reveals the significance of the dying word of one of the victims. Tightly written, suspenseful, and more powerful than the last one.
Linda
To tell the truth, I don't even remember reading this one, but I've read so many of the 87th Precinct novels, I know I must have. Voting for "body of work" here, wanted to list my favorite authors, not specific books, but Goodreads is being difficult, so I am forced to choose from what they have to offer.
Rose
Jan 06, 2010 Rose added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I love how McBain just reuses a huge chunk of text, verbatim, from The Mugger. Guess he didn't expect many people to read the 2nd in the series immediately before the 14th.
Frank Taranto
I jreally enjoy these books, the detectives feel like old friends.
In this one Claire Townsend, Bet Kling's fiance is shot and killed when a murderer trying to kill one person kills three in a book store shooting.
Fredrick Danysh
An 87th Precinct detective's fiance is killed in a quadruple murder. The hunt for the killer takes on the characteristics of a vendetta as the detectives join the hunt.
Kevin
The plotting is sloppier than I'm used to in a McBain, but the reader is paid back with ratcheted up emotions.
Jeroen in UK
Again fantastic story. 2nd book I read from this writer. want to read more!
Sandi
A Classic 87th precinct mystery! Loved it!
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
James Love
James Love marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Tami Bunch
Tami Bunch marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Scott Simpson
Scott Simpson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
  • Candyland
  • North of Montana (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #1)
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
  • The Cavalier of the Apocalypse (Aristide Ravel, #1)
  • The Bar on the Seine
  • Little Green: An Easy Rawlins Mystery (Easy Rawlins #12)
  • Against the Light
  • The Survivors Club
  • Nazareth Child (Del Shannon, #1)
  • Small Crimes
  • Last Exit In New Jersey
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • Crack Down (Kate Brannigan, #3)
  • Death of a Citizen (Matt Helm, #1)
  • A Death In Tuscany
  • What it Was
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • The Stolen Bride
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav...more
More about Ed McBain...
Cop Hater Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer