Start by marking “Pray” as Want to Read:
Pray

Pray

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  31 reviews
An end times novel set within the book of Revelation.
Published April 1st 2011 by Dark Continents (first published November 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pray

Stuart Neild
Who say’s horror books don’t have depth? John Prescott’s novel Pray, riffs from the bible with a hell on earth scenario to end all other end of the world stories. This is powerful stuff, a hefty tome of a book that spans worldwide wide events with legends and prophecies dating back millennia, and certain famous horror beasties you wouldn’t usually expect to turn up in a story like this. Let’s face it, who wouldn’t love a story that saw angels facing off against werewolves?
On reading this I kept
Tanya
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I'll start with what I like. It's a very fast-paced, easy to read book, the plot moves a long quickly, although sometimes it does seem rushed, and though it is based on prophecy in the Bible, I am intrigued by the supernatural twists.

There are quite a few things I do have issues with. A minor thing is the plot seems rushed. I don't like a book that drags on, but we're talking Rapture, 2 days later the Beast is made known & takes over the world &am
Ginger Nuts
I'm not going to beat about the book with this one, buy this book. It's that simple. This is a brilliant début novel from John Prescott.

So what is Pray about? Prey is the first part in a trilogy, don't sigh guys I know a lot of us readers don't like book series, but hold on this one will be worth it. It's the end of days, Armageddon is a coming folks, and in the words of Scott H Biram :-

Well, you better hold on cause there's a big storm comin'
and it's comin' for to wash us all away,
All you lyin
Dave
Pray begins with a poignant reminder of the fragility of both human existence and a world balanced by economics. The Western hemisphere is in economic meltdown, paranoia feeds the masses who implant electronic chips in an analogous attempt to retain some semblance of identity. And waiting in the wings: the End of Days born on the single revelatory note of a trumpet.

A heady mix of apocalyptic horror and quirk, Pray brings together a plethora of creatures from folklore, mythology and the silver sc
Lorraine Versini
Where to start? Maybe with a beginning that draws you right in, and 500 pages of things happening everywhere in the world. It really reads like an epic battle between Good and Evil. All along I was there thinking I want to see a movie of it, with fab special effects, awesome vampires and werewolves and beautiful angels and all that(and please don't forget to include as much gore as you can in the scene with Voices and the dudes in the truck stop). It's still really easy to imagine the scenes, an ...more
Serenity Banks
A joy ride from beginning to end, PRAY by John Prescott delivers an energetic romp into the beginning pages of the Book of Revelation, with a cavalier mix of movie monsters and modern-day heroes thrown in for good measure.

At times poignant, at times tongue-in-cheek, this debut novel - Part I of a trilogy coined The Revelation Chronicles - inspires references to "a horror version of the Left Behind series." Boasting a thematic focus concerned more with the injection of good ol' fashioned vampires
Christine Rice
Pray by John Prescott is a by-the-seat-of-your-pants adventure, from the depths of fantasy to the raw reality of Christian beliefs, with a paranormal twist that makes it have a huge edge. This book is one that you can’t easily put down. The unique characters and sharp setting make the story so real that it is going on in the room around you. Even if you’re not religious, you will still enjoy the thrill and gore of this action-packed, makes-you-think novel.

Everyone on Earth witnesses the sound of
Dreadlocksmile
First published in November of 2010, US author John Prescott’s debut full-length novel ‘Pray’ forms the first part of his epic post-apocalyptic trilogy – The Revelation Chronicles. The novel started off with a limited regional release which also contained an additional prelude to the second instalment in the trilogy entitled ‘Hell’. This preview was only included within this initial limited print run.

DLS Synopsis:
The year is 2016 where the United States, Canada and Mexico have merged to form one
Anne
The year is 2016. America is gone and it it's place is a federation of Us, Canada and Mexico.Trez Sleighton hides in the mountains of Colorado to decide what he is going to do. Then the trumpet sounds. Suddenly a large number of people have disappeared. And monsters are roaming everywhere and the nephillim are here. Then Samouel Gallo, a famous movie star comes forward. Who is he? Soon the world will find out what is in store for them.
Adrian Chamberlin
YOU CANNOT RUN...YOU CANNOT HIDE...YOU CANNOT HOPE...ALL YOU CAN DO IS PRAY.

The chills and spills mount and each page flies by. The first entry into the REVELATION CHRONICLES is greatly influenced by King's THE STAND and such films as the OMEN trilogy and HOLOCAUST 2000, but this tale of the world falling into the Hell foretold by the Book of Revelation is still a highly original and well-polished tale with some real eye-opening scenes.

The religious message isn't hammered home as heavily as Kin
Nicole Brown
In general its a good read.But Prescott made Miz Nettie sound like a slave. Singing and cooking in the kitchen. She is suppose to be educated and you based her on sterotypes. The over women in the story, you made them weak. They cuss in front of angels. They found God and they show no respect for his angels. I dont understand. He claims he is from Mississippi. He couldnt find one educated Black Felmale to talk to. Blanch was a witness to Rick the whole time. But Trez is the one who brings him to ...more
Reagan
I love the idea of vampires and werewolves in the end times but this book was too flavored like Left Behind to make me a fan
Suz
OK, I'm not sure I would teach this story as a truthful account of post-rapture events, but this book is so interesting, so fast-paced, and suspenseful! So the anti-Christ is an ex-rocker, it could happen. I recommend this book as a suspenseful story with an end-times narrative that you have never heard before. I'm reading the next book "HELL" right now, so I must have enjoyed this one. Just remember...Grain of salt.
Jason
Though this is, by far, the edgiest (with heavy and dark violence along with lots of swearing) end times book I've read, this does have a few issues, particularly with the writing style in the later half and how I can barely understand Netti whenever she talks. Along with a few theological problems. That or they're part of the "hidden meanings" that John mentioned in the author Q&A post-story and I missed it.
Nonetheless, here's to hoping Hell is more of an improved story than Pray was.
Larry Thacker Jr.
The first in a series, this book presents some unique ideas on the events in Revelation, adding some atypical elements based on what the "seven thunders" spoke that John was forbidden to record. It's a good read regardless of what you think of the theology. It does contain a smattering of mild character appropriate profanity.
John Mcdaniel
Read this book. I really enjoyed this book. It is about the End of times in Revelations. To me it read like a mix between Stephen King's The Stand and the Left Behind series with some monsters added in. John Prescott writes a compelling novel that makes the reader crave for more.
Teri
excellent book. would have got a 5 star, I just felt it was too simple a writing style at times, something missing. but it was an easy read, gave me chills at times, other times left me with a feeling of hope and awe.... very very good...Will start book 2 shortly
Arnold Osborn
i will continue on to book ii but my wife must be reading a different book than i am.

if you are into the bible and the end times... give it a try. if you love it, write me back and help me understand what i missed.
Alicia Kitchen
AWESOME! Keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time! If you have any knowledge of the book of Revelation you will love this book! It puts a very vivid picture of what is prophesied to happen in the end times.
Brittany Buchanan
This was a fantastic book! If you like Christian conspiracy fiction, this is for you. There are expletives, though. Which is fine with me. Great book all around!
Anthony
The Kindle version not formatted properly, this made it difficult to read. There is less of God dealing out punishment and more of the antichrist running rampant.
Chris Donnan
I would give it a 3.5. I do not want to feel preached to and this book sort of does that. That said - enjoyable enough that I will read the next one.
David Bergsland
It was interesting, but strange. It goes quite a bit beyond biblical. But it was consistent, became believable, and was entertaining

Michele
Really liked this...a bit like Left Behind but yet different. I'm excited to start the next in the trilogy.
Diane
Couldn't put it down. I will be looking for the next books in the series.
Emma Audsley
An utterly fantastic book....can't wait for 'Hell' to be published!
Kathy Tomcik
Loved this book! and the 2nd book HELL... waiting for the 3rd!
Todd
  • Whitstable
  • Night of the Assholes
  • Pretty Little Dead Things
  • Rapture's Rain
  • Death Be Not Proud (The Secret of the Journal #2)
  • Confessions of a Freelance Penmonkey
  • Nephilim Genesis of Evil
  • The Glimpse
  • The Warrior
  • Fear the Reaper
  • The Testimony
  • Bleeker Hill
  • Which None Can Shut
  • Times of Turmoil (The End Times Saga #1)
  • Whisper Of Blood
  • Apartment Seven
John Prescott lives with his wife Edie and son in McComb, Mississippi. He is an avid reader and loves painting and playing miniature war games. He spends lots of time looking at art, taking long walks in his child hood haunts, and umpires high school and junior high baseball. When not writing he is the President of White Silver Publishing, Inc and also servers as their Art Director. After being to ...more
More about John Prescott...
Hell (The Revelation Chronicles) M is for Monster Prezza: My Story: Pulling No Punches Taste Matters: Why We Like the Foods We Do Before Sunrise